PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday/Buy Nothing Day(s)

Volkner's Apprentice
November 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Today is the wonderful day of Black Friday; this crazy shopping extravaganza takes place the day after the American Thanksgiving when stores across the nation are having sales SALES SALES!

XD; unfortunately, I'm one of the poor souls working like, nine hours. T_T

Do you celebrate Black Friday (or the outside-of-America equivalent of such) or are you someone that would rather not go through the chaos just for silly sales and save some money?

It's also Buy Nothing Weekend. Today is the American Buy Nothing Day, which considering the economy right now, might not be such a bad idea. although guaranteed people just spend it later in the month anyway...

I believe tomorrow is the International Buy Nothing Day. Anyone go along with this alternate holiday? note: neither count as actual holidays :mudkip^_^:

I guess I'm more of a buy nothing person, my mom would never go out today simply because she finds no sale worth getting up at 4am. XD I partially agree. I wouldn't mind doing it like, maybe one year, though. Just for the rushing experience; of course I'd have to be buying things I'd actual use/give to people.

moments.
November 28th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Here in Australia, there is nothing said about Black Friday. No sales go up, nothing really happens.
I guess it really is only an American celebration thing especially considering we don't even celebrate Thanksgiving, well my family doesn't at least.

Jorah
November 28th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I've never heard of Black Friday. But in England we've been having loads of sales before Christmas because of the credit crunch...hooray!

ErickaVolt
November 28th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Hmm, I don't celebrate Black Friday but my country is. But it's on April the 13th according to my country's religion.

Cherrim
November 28th, 2008, 05:06 AM
The Canadian equivalent is December 26th, the day after Christmas. So I always think of it as Black Friday is for people scrambling to get cheap gifts for people for Christmas and Boxing Day is for people to go out and buy everything they wanted for Christmas but didn't get. :P

There were a few online Black Friday sales I was interested in but the Canadian dollar is too low right now so it'd cost full price after shipping and currency conversion anyway so baaaw. ;_;

Azonic
November 28th, 2008, 05:10 AM
This is the first year that we're actually participating in purchasing the Black Friday sales. Yep, we're shopping I guess. We haven't done it before, like ever.

mewthree w/armor
November 28th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I went one year...and one year was enough. Its just to nuts.

Gerri Shin
November 28th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I do my research beforehand, that way I know when to shop and where, this year however I didn't find too much that was a real deal, so I'm staying home and enjoying a mug of warm hot cocoa and watching all the other people go nuts outside running from store to store.

Ryoutarou
November 28th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I went one year...and one year was enough. Its just to nuts.^ This.

Last year was the first time I ever tried going to the stores on the day, even did the whole "waiting in massive lines at the crack of dawn" thing. Yeah, never going to do that again. It's a decent experience at the time, but looking back, it really doesn't seem worth it at all, I'd rather have just stayed home and slept in a couple of extra hours.

Michii
November 28th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Oh. My. GOD. I dislike Black Friday with almost every vein in my body. Every store is immensely crowded to the point where I want to scream. I've gone to a PA. shopping outlit before on this day, and I hated it. Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate. The traffic getting there was bumper to bumper. Then when we got there, parking was almost like musical chairs. When we were finally at the actual outlit, there were hundreds of people scrambling around. Mind you, not all of them were polite. The shopping was terrible. People were everywhere, and I was all "a;sdglkjsadg; let's go home." I hated it. Then again, I was ten.

I had to leave half way through this post to watch my little brother for a bit, and the news was on. In some town in New Jersey or New York (iono which one), there was a huge line from 1o:oopm outside of a Walmart. When the store opened at 5:ooam, a thirty-four year old man got trampled in the rush to get in. He was killed. D:

Mitchman
November 28th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Hey anyone see that video of people smashing there way into macys in a mall in new york? I was there! Yeah i used to celebrate it but now nah as my county dont have it. But that probably was the most fun year of mine.

Mr. Epic
November 28th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I just now thanks to you heard of this, where I am I don't think the shops have sales today.

Phixum
November 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM
haha, it's too late. I've already bought some food and paid for the papers I printed in the university :x

Cherrim
November 28th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, my dad and I have already failed at Buy Nothing Day. We went out for lunch and bought lots of stuff from a bakery & Starbucks today. :[ Oh well.
I had to leave half way through this post to watch my little brother for a bit, and the news was on. In some town in New Jersey or New York (iono which one), there was a huge line from 1o:oopm outside of a Walmart. When the store opened at 5:ooam, a thirty-four year old man got trampled in the rush to get in. He was killed. D:
...that's disgusting. :| I don't even have anything else to say about that it's just... wow.

Emii
November 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM

=O that's terrible!! I can't believe that some people are so stupid that they'd trample over somebody just for a sale! >_< that disgusts me.. I hope every one of those people who rushed in felt guilty! I hope every one of those stampeding idiots wonders if it was THEY who trampled on the poor guy.

anyway, about the Black Friday sales, I do wake up early and go places. But I don't do it for the sales. it's just entertaining watching people go crazy over sales =D as long as they don't kill somebody.. But I myself won't stand in lines and rush into stores.. I just stay back and watch everybody else. and also, I like to get a free snowglobe from JC Penney's. XD it's pretty much the only day besides Christmas that I like to get up early.

Zebra Thunderhead
November 28th, 2008, 04:11 PM
The man was killed on Staten Island.

I went shopping today but nothing I bought was on sale. Go figure.

ANARCHit3cht
November 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I had to leave half way through this post to watch my little brother for a bit, and the news was on. In some town in New Jersey or New York (iono which one), there was a huge line from 1o:oopm outside of a Walmart. When the store opened at 5:ooam, a thirty-four year old man got trampled in the rush to get in. He was killed. D: Worst part is.. he probably was trying to get Christmas presents for his kids..

Chibi-chan
November 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Sadly, that always seems to happen every year...last year it was at Best Buy I think. Terrible stuff.
I didn't get to go this year because I had to go to a funeral...not like I had money to spend anyway >.<

TRIFORCE89
November 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I was browsing American retailers online today. I didn't really find anything :x Some Canadian retailers were trying it out this year, but nothing outstanding.

I'm holding off for Boxing Week

Hiidoran
November 28th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I did not try my hand at this year's Black Friday craziness, nor have I ever done it before.
I think it might be a fun experience to get up that early and feel the rush, but to be honest, I would rather just wait until Christmas Eve and catch all the deals then. Sure, the deals on Black Friday can't be beat, but they aren't too shabby the day before Christmas.

Sometimes it pays to wait until the last minute, am I right?
(Pitty about that man that was trampled; it happens quite often though.)

Gummibar
November 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I used to go, but one year things just got too violent and I stopped. Plus some guy working at Wal-mart died today, which is just really sad.

Harley Quinn
November 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
When the store opened at 5:ooam, a thirty-four year old man got trampled in the rush to get in. He was killed. D:
http://scienceblogs.com/tfk/images/_tourmate_img_tours_2337-5.jpg

That would've sucked.

R.I.P

TwilightBlade
November 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
My mother was constantly talking about Black Friday this past week. She was all geared up, but this morning, we (mainly I did 8D) slept in until 11 as she fussed around the house. Most of the sales were over by the time we were in the car. XD

We still went shopping today~ And my, there were some great deals. I might not have slept outside, fought people over items, stampeded through the doors, etc but I still managed to buy some early presents at good prices.

It's a shame to hear about the injuries, but I guess some are scared silly from the recession and really need those cheap items. 8[

manomow
November 29th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Wow, that poor Walmart employee... I MEAN SERIOSLY! Even when they told everyone to get out because the employee was trampled, they wouldnt leave saying they have been in line since yesterday. Who has heard about the shooting at Toys R us?

Volkner's Apprentice
November 29th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I know! I heard about that later in the day, after my shift was over. Target had quite the line, but I just weaved into the employees entrance and prepared. I have a silly situation with a woman, a pack of christmas card paper (wtf..?), and a spillage of Arm & Hammer..oil..juices..stuff..idk what it was, but other than that we were pretty good the whole busy morning. No trampling here..

But honestly, what the hell is wrong with people? This guy must have been someone extremely blendable (like no one notices him normally) because how do you step on a persons face/head/spline/etc. and not know!?! Ugh, it's just awful to think about...and only at Wal-Mart of course..

Himawarii
November 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Hahh like a month ago I asked my mom are we going shopping on Black Friday after Thanksgiving? and she replied with like,ALL YOU EVER WANT TO DO IS CHOP D< D< D< and aha,yesterday,I think she bought more stuff than I did. :o

I got my fair share of new clothing though,Wet Seal and Aeropostle had some nice sales here.~

Lucy Lu
November 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM

I seen that on the news. That is so bad! That is so terrible. I was disgusted of what happened to that poor guy. ;_; I can't believe people will do that only because there were a few TVs on sale...TVs?!! You got to be kidding me! And they have been waiting since 10pm the night before...and the guy tried to calm them down. But they didn't listen and BOOM! All rushed in and crushed the guy. See, this is why I won't wait in line for those big sales. I don't want to get crushed to death. D: If you missed the sale, you missed it. TOO BAD! Dang it. You don't need to push and fight anyone just to get to that item. It is stupid. If it is sold out it is sold out. Big deal.

These people need to calm themselves down on Black Friday. I had to work on Black Friday and we had a few sales. But the customers were very calm. No pushing or fighting. Yeah I work in a grocery store that has other things other than groceries. So it was great where I was. But not where that guy was. My prayers go to the family and friends of 34 year old guy.

For me I went and brought a DS Lite, a few games, and a few music CDs. I saved up my money since when I got my tax return. Unlike those idots, I just went on my own time and got the stuff. So that is what I did on Black Friday. I guess now I know why it is called "Black Friday". The name lives up to it.

Emii
November 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I seen that on the news. That is so bad! That is so terrible. I am was disgusted of what happened to that poor guy. ;_; I can't believe people will do that only because there were a few TVs on sale...TVs?!! You got to be kidding me! And they have been waiting since 10pm the night before...and the guy tried to calm them down. But they didn't listen and BOOM! All rushed in and crushed the guy. See, this is why I won't wait in line for those big sales. I don't want to get crushed to death. D: If you missed the sale, you missed it. TOO BAD! Dang it. You don't need to push and fight anyone just to get to that item. It is stupid. If it is sold out it is sold out. Big deal.

These people need to calm themselves down on Black Friday. I had to work on Black Friday and we had a few sales. But the customers were very calm. No pushing or fighting. Yeah I work in a grocery store that has other things other than groceries. So it was great where I was. But not where that guy was. My prayers go to the family and friends of 34 year old guy.

I completely agree with you! some people are just awful.. I looked it up, and the New York Times says that he was an employee at Wal-Mart, and after everyone stampeded over him, people kept walking around him or stepping over him without asking if he was alright. and it also said that people were bumping and pushing the employees and police trying to help the guy. I think I'd care more about a human life than saving a little biit of money on a sale. -_-

the wal-mart in my town was more crowded than it was last year.. O_O we had to park in a different parking lot.. and ours is the 3rd biggest supercenter in the state, so it has a huge parking lot. lots of people were waiting for Hannah Montana stuff and Xbox 360s. reallllly huge lines. then we went to the mall, and waited for GameStop to open. we stoood there for like, an hour. just because my boyfriend wanted to see if Tales of Vesperia was there. and it wasn't. XD

Saltare.
November 30th, 2008, 07:37 AM
So sad, a Wal Mart Employee in New York go trampled while trying to open the doors. But it gets worse...HE DIED. Police told everyone to leave the store, but no one listened.

More... (http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/28/news/economy/blackfriday_walmart/?postversion=2008112819)

What do you think about this?

Tangerine Fox
November 30th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Incidents like this are way I'm not very fond of Black Friday shopping. Too many people value getting a better deal on items over basic manners and even human life? It's a breeding ground for greed at it's best.

It's horrible that the employee died, especially over such an incredibly stupid reason, but I hope at the very least that the women in the hospital makes a full recovery.

.Iramet
November 30th, 2008, 08:35 AM
What the **** has this world come to?
****ing people going crazy and ****ing running over, and trampling someone to get 20$ off of that blender.
This just shows what a dump this world has become.
How the **** don't they realize they're trampling someone?
Or is it that they didn't care?
****ing people, I swear.

Saltare.
November 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM
*blinks* wow. But it's really sad I mean, wow you get a discount, big whoop. There are gonna be sales in the near future

Chibi-chan
November 30th, 2008, 09:39 AM
This is already being discussed in another thread. I'm going to merge this one to the other one, k?

merged

Lucy Lu
November 30th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I completely agree with you! some people are just awful.. I looked it up, and the New York Times says that he was an employee at Wal-Mart, and after everyone stampeded over him, people kept walking around him or stepping over him without asking if he was alright. and it also said that people were bumping and pushing the employees and police trying to help the guy. I think I'd care more about a human life than saving a little biit of money on a sale. -_-

the wal-mart in my town was more crowded than it was last year.. O_O we had to park in a different parking lot.. and ours is the 3rd biggest supercenter in the state, so it has a huge parking lot. lots of people were waiting for Hannah Montana stuff and Xbox 360s. reallllly huge lines. then we went to the mall, and waited for GameStop to open. we stoood there for like, an hour. just because my boyfriend wanted to see if Tales of Vesperia was there. and it wasn't. XD
Whoa, yeah that was the sad part. People just walked on by and didn't ask him if he was alright. That is just sad...some people. I swear. See that is why I won't wait in line on Black Friday. I wish the stores will do away from Black Friday. Then more lives will be saved. But of course they won't do it. >>;

Wow! For Hannah Montana and Xbox 360s? Meh, you can get that stuff anytime! But I guess they were on sale, so I guess. Aww, they didn't have Tales of Vesperia, and you guys waited an hour. Darn, oh well. At least you guys didn't get hurt. That is the most important thing. ^^

And another thing I found out. I found this on Wikipedia. So don't take my word for it. It probably isn't true:

"And in Palm Desert, California two people shot each other after arguing over an item in a Toys R Us store." - source Wiki

O_o;? Now that is insane right there! Why they will bring guns in the store?! I really don't know. So I don't know if this is true or not. But it proves that people are monsters when it comes to sales of a certain item. And it will come every year...it is a shame. They should do away Black Friday. *hmph*

Volkner's Apprentice
November 30th, 2008, 10:14 AM
"And in Palm Desert, California two people shot each other after arguing over an item in a Toys R Us store." - source Wiki

O_o;? Now that is insane right there! Why they will bring guns in the store?! I really don't know. So I don't know if this is true or not. But it proves that people are monsters when it comes to sales of a certain item. And it will come every year...it is a shame. They should do away Black Friday. *hmph*

To me, that just seems like an excuse for them to cause trouble. There's no way in hell someone would risk their life to get an item on sale. It doesn't work like that; no one has that mindset. There had to be ulterior motives, like either it was their planned attempt at killing each other or just idiots with nothing else to live for. Blehhh.

On a happier note, DVDs in Target that day were like 3.98 each. Not newer ones, though they weren't expensive either, but movies like The Notebook, Gremlins(why?..), and Juno were cheap.

.inLOVE
November 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM
This bratty little 15 year old almost punched me when she thought I was getting a Wii, and it was the last one. I was soooooooooooo mad.

Lucy Lu
November 30th, 2008, 10:36 AM
To me, that just seems like an excuse for them to cause trouble. There's no way in hell someone would risk their life to get an item on sale. It doesn't work like that; no one has that mindset. There had to be ulterior motives, like either it was their planned attempt at killing each other or just idiots with nothing else to live for. Blehhh.

On a happier note, DVDs in Target that day were like 3.98 each. Not newer ones, though they weren't expensive either, but movies like The Notebook, Gremlins(why?..), and Juno were cheap.
Yeah I guess you are right. I think to me they are idiots that have nothing to live for. That is the sad part. But you might be right there has to be a motive. *sigh* The world today, what happened?

Yeah most DVDs we had in HEB(the store I work at) were like $2.99. That is a good deal. But I didn't buy any. XD

This bratty little 15 year old almost punched me when she thought I was getting a Wii, and it was the last one. I was soooooooooooo mad.
What the...?!! Are you serious?! She almost punched you? She shouldn't do that to you. You had a reason to be mad. She thought that you had a Wii? How would she know that? Someone else probably got the last one. Dang that kid...needed to calm down.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
November 30th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I went to the mall on Friday, faced the crowds, only to find that the stuff I came in after (manga and a DS game) weren't discounted at all. I may go shopping on Black Friday in the future, but only after checking the sales ads first.

RaikaCastillo
November 30th, 2008, 03:20 PM
. In some town in New Jersey or New York (iono which one), there was a huge line from 1o:oopm outside of a Walmart. When the store opened at 5:ooam, a thirty-four year old man got trampled in the rush to get in. He was killed. D:

What's worse is that the fudge bars just kept on shopping even after they were told to leave (http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2008/11/30/ap_walmart_death_1130.ART_ART_11-30-08_A3_5GC338B.html?sid=101)...

Doesn't seem like they tried to help out or anything. Bastards... >=(

Chaolin
November 30th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Well, I knew my the girl side of the family goes every time so I tagged along this year. I figured, if I get free stuff, why not come along? XD

Mooshykris
December 1st, 2008, 12:57 PM
It hardly matters to me...as we can't afford anything reguardless.

~Mooshykris

HeidiMoose
December 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I refuse to participate in Black Friday, because of things like Wal-Mart. I don't understand people one bit.
But I guess if our economy wasn't so horrible, maybe people wouldn't be so utterly stupid.
And sadly enough, I bet none of them feel guilty, because apparently getting their sales were the most important thing. I'm glad that we value materialism over life nowadays.:cer_no:

Many people asked me on Thanksgiving night at work if I was going shopping on Black Friday. I said that I'd much rather pay the extra money than wait in lines and get pushed around in crowds and be around thousands of people all day. I'm clostrophobic, and I hate being around large numbers of people.. so it just doesn't work for me. Plus, I'm not the patient type.. and waiting in lines for hours is just not my idea of a good time. My sister went.. she seemed to enjoy herself.. it's probably not as crazy around here as it is in bigger cities.. but we still have some pretty stupid people around here.

As for me.. I went to Best Buy on Sunday and they had some very good sales going on. I was able to get a fairly recent movie for only $10.

Angela
December 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
There actually is not a black Friday here, but in January there are some major sales, with discounts that go all the way up to 90%

Volkner's Apprentice
December 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
There actually is not a black Friday here, but in January there are some major sales, with discounts that go all the way up to 90%

o_O...90%? That's like...free. Except maybe five bucks. XD

I wouldn't be surprised if sales like that garner crazy people.

Angela
December 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
o_O...90%? That's like...free. Except maybe five bucks. XD

I wouldn't be surprised if sales like that garner crazy people.
Actually they don't I have never heard of an employee being ran over,

Tho the old Icelandic people can get a little aggressive, so you want to stay away from the old women's exspeally.

Mitchman
December 3rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
To bad law enforcement in my new country is different. I mean stuff like that happens but they got the swat there with tear gas and fury. >: D
Why dont they do that in the states. Oh yeah i forgot. Violence is bad. Bullcrap i say!