PDA

View Full Version : 1st of "Aðventa"/Christmas Related/Adventus Domini

Angela
November 30th, 2008, 04:30 PM
OK now today/yesterday there was a thing called 1st in aðventa*there is no English word for it I looked in a dictionary* here on Iceland, Aðventa happens four Sundays before Christmas and every Sunday after that til Christmas, the timing of Aðventa depends on when the 24th is, aðventa has to happen 4 Sundays before Christmas;)

Aðventa is based on the Latin word Adventus Domini, or it means the coming of Christ
Aðventa is kind of a count down towards Christmas it's a old tradition, and it's like this:

There are four candles on special a plate/dish, the plate is decorated and can fit 4 candles, and there are four candles.
On the first of "Aðventa" we light on the first candle called Prediction Candle, and it reminds us of the predictions about Jesus'es birth, this is a old northern European tradition, meaning that the German and Danish members should know this, and please correct me if I do make mistakes because I'm translating straight from Icelandic.

Aðventu Krans/The plate, I believe that Catholics might have something like that.
http://visindavefur.hi.is/myndir/adventukrans_101204.jpg

And there is a song, it's in 4 parts, so I will only translate part 1 this week:D

Við kveikjum einu kerti á.
Hans koma nálgast fer
sem fyrstu jól í jötu lá
og Jesúbarnið er.

We light up one candle.
His coming getting closer is
the first Christmas he in a cradle lay
and the baby Jesus is.

That is the song, and I will translate part 2 next week "2nd of aðventa".

But on Aðventa Icelanders usually have started the decorating, and the week before Aðventa is the usual time to start decorating.

This is a event that I wanted to share with you members of the forum, and I hope I'll be able to share this with you, so you can have a feel of the Icelandic Christmas:D

If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them;)

Tangerine Fox
November 30th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Actually, there is an English word for it: Advent. =)

In my family (and church), we have Advent Wreaths (like your Aðventu Krans); I don't think we don't really have specific Advent songs, but we do have a book of Advent prayers at home.

Starting last year, I've been allowed to lead the family lighting of each candle. I hope to do better this year -- I set part of my hand of fire during the third week. Oops.

That aside, I really like Advent. <3

Is it considered a religious tradition in Iceland, or does everyone take part in it? (Forgive me if this sounds a little rude or dim-witted, but at least where I live, only my Catholic friends seem to even recognize what the wreath and candles are for.)

Angela
December 1st, 2008, 12:44 AM
Actually, there is an English word for it: Advent. =)

In my family (and church), we have Advent Wreaths (like your Aðventu Krans); I don't think we don't really have specific Advent songs, but we do have a book of Advent prayers at home.

Starting last year, I've been allowed to lead the family lighting of each candle. I hope to do better this year -- I set part of my hand of fire during the third week. Oops.

That aside, I really like Advent. <3

Is it considered a religious tradition in Iceland, or does everyone take part in it? (Forgive me if this sounds a little rude or dim-witted, but at least where I live, only my Catholic friends seem to even recognize what the wreath and candles are for.)

It is a religious tradition in Iceland:D, and I would say that if there is a young child at the home that the Advent take's place then everyone is probably taking part of it,

But some people just use the wreath as Christmas decorations, but we learn about the candles in school so everybody knows what they stand for:D, and no not everybody on Iceland is catholic, actually there are a weary few Icelanders that I know, most of Icelanders are Luthers religion.

Lol how did you manage to set your hand on fire, and thank you so much for the translations, I guess the dictonary in Iceland is not all knowing:D

Tangerine Fox
December 1st, 2008, 07:21 AM
Ah, I see! That's really neat. I didn't guess all of Iceland was Catholic, but it's very cool to see how similar traditions take place all over.

As for my hand...the match just would not light. I gave it one last swipe and then the entire match caught on fire very quickly, and I burnt part of my hand before I could put it out. It's really silly, but we have an electric lighter this year anyway.

I wouldn't feel bad about not finding the word in the dictionary. Advent has a number of different meanings beyond the Christmas-time tradition. =)

Mitchman
December 1st, 2008, 09:16 AM
So do we post traditions of our religions/countries christmas period or about icelands only? I love it and all but yeah whatever. I think its kinda cool. The only thing we get is christmas eve fasting and a butt load of presents on new years then christmas. New year>christmas in my country.

Angela
December 1st, 2008, 09:25 AM
Ah, I see! That's really neat. I didn't guess all of Iceland was Catholic, but it's very cool to see how similar traditions take place all over.

As for my hand...the match just would not light. I gave it one last swipe and then the entire match caught on fire very quickly, and I burnt part of my hand before I could put it out. It's really silly, but we have an electric lighter this year anyway.

I wouldn't feel bad about not finding the word in the dictionary. Advent has a number of different meanings beyond the Christmas-time tradition. =)

I'm sorry if I mislead you, there are some Catholics, but most of the Christians in Iceland are Christian Other (Not Catholics), and if I remember correctly it's called Luther's something, I myself am not Catholic;), I'm what the most people of Iceland are;),,

But there are some Jew's and Buddhist here too:D

Apotheosis
December 1st, 2008, 10:08 AM
I'm sorry if I mislead you, there are some Catholics, but most of the Christians in Iceland are Christian Other (Not Catholics), and if I remember correctly it's called Luther's something, I myself am not Catholic;), I'm what the most people of Iceland are;),,

It's called protestants(/lutherians?) methinks. I'm one ;)

We celebrate Advent like you do, in Sweden ^^ With four candles, some glögg (mulled wine?) and cosyness the last four sundays before Christmas, yes. Nothing really religious though. Guess you know protestants often aren't as religious as catholics :)

I love the warm feeling Advent times bring. We've got a Christmas calendar tv show for kids that they show every morning in December until Christmas day too. It's lovely :)

ShadowofTime01
December 1st, 2008, 12:42 PM
In America most people have taken just the actual wreath and used that to adorn their front door as a Christmas decoration. And yes, the Catholics do have advent wreaths (well the ones that are still practicing catholics). When my parents were still alive, we just put up a wreath on our door, but when I was living with my aunt and uncle, they would light the advent wreath every night before dinner. That song is interesting.

I'm not one to be religious, so I prefer just to have a holiday/christmas wreath on my front door. I've always wondered if other sects of Christianity have advent wreaths, other than Catholics, I assumed Lutherans did.

Angela
December 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
It's called protestants(/lutherians?) methinks. I'm one ;)

We celebrate Advent like you do, in Sweden ^^ With four candles, some glögg (mulled wine?) and cosyness the last four sundays before Christmas, yes. Nothing really religious though. Guess you know protestants often aren't as religious as catholics :)

I love the warm feeling Advent times bring. We've got a Christmas calendar tv show for kids that they show every morning in December until Christmas day too. It's lovely :)
It's called Malt in Iceland:D I assume we are talking about the same thing called Juleöl in Danish, might be incorrectly spelled:D,

And yes protestants is the word I was looking for:D, it fits the Icelandic word mótmælendur:D,

And that is true, protestants aren't as religious, as some of you may know protestants are weary laid back on the religious stuff and weary open to anything;), we are not strict believers;) and we don't follow the bible word by word and we may just go to church when there is a special family event, like a funeral or a wedding:D, I know that because I am one:D

Omg that reminds me, we to have a Christmas Calendar, it was showed tonight but I did not watch it,

Did Sweden ever get the Danish acted calendendar called Jesús & Jósefína?

Tangerine Fox
December 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM

Aah, I'm sorry! I'm not coming across clearly. I wasn't saying I thought Iceland was entirely made of up Catholics, I was saying I didn't/don't think it was entirely Catholic. A miswritten post on my part; sorry!

As for other traditions, if we're sharing them, it's not entirely done on Advent Sundays, but we also do a nativity scene and add a little bit as each week goes by until we add baby Jesus on Christmas. It's a lot of fun and my sisters enjoy it. =)

Angela
December 1st, 2008, 02:48 PM
Aah, I'm sorry! I'm not coming across clearly. I wasn't saying I thought Iceland was entirely made of up Catholics, I was saying I didn't/don't think it was entirely Catholic. A miswritten post on my part; sorry!

As for other traditions, if we're sharing them, it's not entirely done on Advent Sundays, but we also do a nativity scene and add a little bit as each week goes by until we add baby Jesus on Christmas. It's a lot of fun and my sisters enjoy it. =)
That sounds like fun, we don't have that here:D

Your excused it's okay to mistype sometimes:D