PDA

View Full Version : The Disability thread

Soul Eater
December 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
I really see nothing wrong with doing this. I was hoping this would be easier for those that have disabilities and can come here to discuss experiences, challenges or maybe get tips on how other people cope with them.

However, I do advise that you keep your comments within PC's general rules and that means no discriminations.

As thumper always said, "If you can't say nothing nice, don't say anything at all."

Anyway, as for me I have bordeline to mild autism, ADHD, social phobia/severe anxiety, a slow learning disability and depression.

I really want to see how this thread goes and feel free to discuss people you know with disabilities or if you yourself have them. You just have to remember to help someone and not try to feel as if you are hurting them. :P

Also. mods and high staff, please don't close this. At least give it a chance and see how it goes, if things do get out of hand, feel free to close it if you feel the need to do so.

I want to feel just as welcome as any of you guys would so please, don't be shy. ^_^

Also, all disabilities are welcome, we want to hear about them and maybe even learn something about what your disabilities are. It never hurts to learn something new.

Ashen
December 3rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
I... wouldn't call depression a disability. Sure, it disables you in daily life, but it's a mental illness, not a disability. Depression can be treated; a disability can't.

Also, anyone who discriminates against another because of disability isn't just stupid, but they're breaking the law... well, kinda sorta. There's laws for people with disabilities in the workplace that make discrimination, you know, a pretty bad thing for the employer (the ADA laws). How that applies here... don't ask. It's late and my brain works weird ways then.

As for me, I have a unilateral hearing loss – which I've had since birth – (which means I can't hear at all out of one ear), Asperger's syndrome, and a condition called familial periodic paralysis, which more or less means that if my blood potassium level gets too low, I go into paralysis. Not fun at all.

But, even with all that, I'm succeeding relatively well in college, other than certain extenuating circumstances. And I'm more or less going to school for free, not because of my disabilities, but because of all the stuff I've done regardless of them. To be honest, a disability (or multiple disabilities) shouldn't make you into the person you are, but your actions regardless of them – the things you do to overcome them and succeed is what really matters. In fact, I think this so important and it's so strong a feeling for me that when we had a diversity retreat, I completely forgot that being disabled is a part of how I came to be the person I am today. Of course, it's not completely the reason, but it's still a part of my life, something I – and many other people – have to overcome every day.

I could write a whole page and a half on this, but it's kind of late and, like I said, my brain isn't exactly, you know, all there...

BeachBoy
December 3rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Well, I have Pectus Excavatum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pectus_excavatum). Big word, I know, and you probably have no clue what it is. To put it in more understandable terms, "sunken chest." It can sometimes impair my cardiac & respiratory ability. It really started to affect me about three years ago, but I've had it since birth, when I collapsed during Football practice because I couldn't breathe. After numerous tests, yadayada, I had to quit high contact sports because of this deformity. It even acted up the other day while ice skating, had to take a short break to catch my breath. Unfortunately, the only way to improve this is getting surgery, which, yeah, it's pretty painful. XD But I am highly considering the major surgery (Nuss procedure) for it this summer.

To dive more into it, it basically decreases my basic lung capacity. When I'm running, working out, stuff like that, I know I've hit my limit when Pectus starts flaring up, then I'm forced to stop. It happens about 1 - 1000 births, but I've only met two people in my lifetime with it. XD; But mine is more mild, not extremely severe or "must fix now!" ... Thankfully. So yeah, my disability is a dent that hampers my activity in life, I guess I could say that.

I'd also say more, like Ashen, but at 2:37AM? I'll pass 'n' talk later.

Gumball Watterson
December 3rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
I have a lot of Astigmatism and a lot of something else. I don't remember, but it was some sort of heredable eye disorder. A double knock for my poor eyes.

Today, I am the nerd you all know and love, and I've been one since 3rd grade. What a shame.

Melody
December 4th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hehe. Well I've got the usual suspect. ADHD. Though to be honest, It hasn't been too bad. I guess I'm lucky in some ways. But I'm glad that most anyone with any Learning Disorder or even a physical disability has just as much chance of making something of themselves in this world as anyone else does.

Though I do get rather irritated at those who give up when they hear they're disabled. People like that tend to drag even me down. x3

Soul Eater
December 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I... wouldn't call depression a disability. Sure, it disables you in daily life, but it's a mental illness, not a disability. Depression can be treated; a disability can't.

Also, anyone who discriminates against another because of disability isn't just stupid, but they're breaking the law... well, kinda sorta. There's laws for people with disabilities in the workplace that make discrimination, you know, a pretty bad thing for the employer (the ADA laws). How that applies here... don't ask. It's late and my brain works weird ways then.

As for me, I have a unilateral hearing loss – which I've had since birth – (which means I can't hear at all out of one ear), Asperger's syndrome, and a condition called familial periodic paralysis, which more or less means that if my blood potassium level gets too low, I go into paralysis. Not fun at all.

But, even with all that, I'm succeeding relatively well in college, other than certain extenuating circumstances. And I'm more or less going to school for free, not because of my disabilities, but because of all the stuff I've done regardless of them. To be honest, a disability (or multiple disabilities) shouldn't make you into the person you are, but your actions regardless of them – the things you do to overcome them and succeed is what really matters. In fact, I think this so important and it's so strong a feeling for me that when we had a diversity retreat, I completely forgot that being disabled is a part of how I came to be the person I am today. Of course, it's not completely the reason, but it's still a part of my life, something I – and many other people – have to overcome every day.

I could write a whole page and a half on this, but it's kind of late and, like I said, my brain isn't exactly, you know, all there...

Well, depression can usually be but under control of medication. You're right, its not really a disability. Though, most disabilities like that are treated with meds to keep it in balance.

Anyway, has anyone heard of Michael Savage? He was the one that said all kids with Autism are brats. I don't believe thats true. I mean the part about misdiagnosing isnt rare because you get these crackpot doctors who don't know crap.

Degenerate
December 4th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Yes, I have a disability. I can't get a girlfriend.

devilicious
December 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM

That's a bad one. It probably can't get treated either.

I suggest immediate action: Make use of your hands more often.

Degenerate
December 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM
That's a bad one. It probably can't get treated either.

I suggest immediate action: Make use of your hands more often.

More often?

I'm not going to have time for anything else. :P

EDIT: j/k.

It's a very serious issue for me.

Soul Eater
December 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM

More often?

I'm not going to have time for anything else. :P

EDIT: j/k.

It's a very serious issue for me.

That's not the kind of disability I had in mind. That's not a disability at all. D: This is for people that either have developmental, physical, psycological, intellectual or mental. D: Also, Asthma and allergies are accepted too, since those tend to limit people depending on how bad it is.

I do know that my aunt got Social Security benefits for her depression. D: I don't think needs that much attention. It can be treated with medication so its not something that bad, although it can be, if you aren't on meds. (like me. x_x)

processr
December 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I have quite severe myopia (short-sightedness), if you want to count that. My prescription's very high (or low, as it were, given that shortsightedness is measured in minus numbers), to the point where I can only see colours and vague shapes without my glasses.

.inLOVE
December 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I'm WAY too claustrophobic. Meaning I'm terrified of small and/or cramped spaces.

Yuoaman
December 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I'm near-sighted, and my eyes are slowly getting worse, but they've started to even out, so it's not serious, but my mom is legally blind without her glasses XD

Candy Christina
December 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I have asthma, but I've sort of "outgrown" my asthma symptoms in a sense. I haven't had an asthma attack since I was like 6 or 7. :D A lot of people I know seem to be surprised when I tell them that because I never really act like I have it at all.

Degenerate
December 4th, 2008, 04:40 PM
That's not the kind of disability I had in mind. That's not a disability at all. D: This is for people that either have developmental, physical, psycological, intellectual or mental. D: Also, Asthma and allergies are accepted too, since those tend to limit people depending on how bad it is.

I do know that my aunt got Social Security benefits for her depression. D: I don't think needs that much attention. It can be treated with medication so its not something that bad, although it can be, if you aren't on meds. (like me. x_x)

But it is developmental. I obviously haven't developed the ability to attract girls.
But it could be physical. Maybe I'm just not physically attractive.
But it is psychological. It makes me feel like I'm living a life devoid of love and closeness.
But it is intellectual. In addition to having no skills, seems I have a problem learning how to attain those skills and use them successfully.
But it is mental. It's always troubling my mind whenever I see couples being together.
I think my problem should be considered a disability too. >:

lol maybe I can get benefits for my disability as well. This can't be treated with medicine so it IS bad.

Soul Eater
December 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I have asthma, but I've sort of "outgrown" my asthma symptoms in a sense. I haven't had an asthma attack since I was like 6 or 7. :D A lot of people I know seem to be surprised when I tell them that because I never really act like I have it at all.

That's like me and my allergies. I don't get very sick from them, normally I do get a stuffy nose or a scratchy throat but never bad enough so that I feel sick. Sometimes its almost as if I don't have them.

@Degenerate: Okay, tell me this, does your 'disability' have a specific name? :<

Guys, feel free to talk about your disabilities, ask questions about the disabilities other people have, etc. This is more like a discussion thread so stay while and maybe you will learn something new about someone's disability you didnt know about. :3

Hell, if you even want to ask about some of mine, I don't mind. ^^ I'm always telling my friends about them. XD

4th Gen Matt
December 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I have the worst astigmatism that you have ever seen. I can only see clearly up to 3 feet in front of me, then things go all blurry. I have to wear glasses to fix it, but the glasses only increase this range to like 10 feet clarity in front of me. It has held me back because I usually don't do well in class because I can't see the board.

I have a neighbor who has ALS. He will be completely paralyzed in about a year. Poor guy.

Saltare.
December 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Mild ADHD. It sucks, but I can control it. Like, I don't throw tantrums like everyone else I've seen with ADD or ADHD. It kinda runs in the family cause my bro has it too.

I also got asthma.Which really sucks cause I had to quit a lot of sports cause of it. But now, I take a breathalizer treatment before the sport event, and after. And when I don't have sports, I take it ever 4 hours. IT TOTALLY SUCKS!!! And it is so freakin noisy! I gotta take an inhaler to school with me, and everything. Like, last week, I had to get some sort of scan and I was on the bridge to a really bad phenomia, which they say could've put me in the hospital.

So, that's bout it.

Really sad, my cousin's friend, got in a really bad car acident and he is in a vegetable state and could die and moment

the bitter end.
December 6th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I have horrible depression and insomnia, I can't think of anything else. Depression really sucks -.- I think I'll outgrow it and I can't wait. Insomnia sucks even more, I'm up till five in the morning staring at the ceiling.

processr
December 6th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Really sad, my cousin's friend, got in a really bad car acident and he is in a vegetable state and could die and moment

You mean vegetative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetative_state)? >>;

Saltare.
December 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM
You mean vegetative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetative_state)? >>;

Yah. I think that's what I meant.

Gold warehouse
December 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I'll state mine if anybody else has anything like it, otherwise I'm too embarrassed to say.

GoldenBagon
December 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM
well im dislexic in writing and reading i have a learning problem and i seem to be accident prone:)and ive had hearing loss which caused me to have hearing aids and i have a Slight Sight Problem which makes me have contact lensces
besides from that im perfectly normal

Merzbau
December 6th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I have a hereditary blood disorder? It was once life-threatening but now I have no problems with it.

Hereditary spherocytosis. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereditary_spherocytosis)

My cells are shaped weird.
Not a big deal. I'm just anemic a lot and supposedly get sick easier than most people (which is strange because I'm probably the healthiest person I know most of the time).

mystletainn
December 6th, 2008, 12:04 PM
According some bigots, my sexuality is a disability, but that's besides the point.

I'm color deficient, which is more of a nuisance than a hindrance. Can't go in the Air Force because of it (wasn't planning on it though). Mostly with blue/purple, red/brown, green/yellow, and blue/green.

Soul Eater
December 6th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I have horrible depression and insomnia, I can't think of anything else. Depression really sucks -.- I think I'll outgrow it and I can't wait. Insomnia sucks even more, I'm up till five in the morning staring at the ceiling.

I have Insomnia too. I have a really REALLY hard time getting to sleep. It's such a hassle because I want to sleep but even when I do I wake up during the night, I have a hard time getting to sleep. Nothing ever works for me or gets me to sleep.

Metamence
December 6th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I have astigmatism and I can't see far..
Man, even with glasses some stuff are blurry (hopes for better lenses)

Degenerate
December 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
@Degenerate: Okay, tell me this, does your 'disability' have a specific name? :<

I'm not sure if it already does have a name but if it doesn't, I feel it should be given one. It could be named after me. I think that would be a pretty accurate enough name.

22sa
December 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Treatment: Realize you're just an 8 year old little boy who has no place in romance yet.

December 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
As for me, I have a unilateral hearing loss – which I've had since birth – (which means I can't hear at all out of one ear),
Cool, me too.

I love it...the military will never want me. It gives me an excuse to not hear things when I just may not be paying attention. And, best of all, while everyone holds their phones on their right ears, I hold mine on my left...fantastic disability. It'll only become an issue when I'm old, enfeebled, and -deaf-, but until then...

Gymnotide
December 10th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I can spin around for obscenely long amounts of time without falling down.
(But when I stop, I basically have a seizure.)

but until then...

Oh, what a nifty ability. : /

Jone_Smith
December 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM
My mother picked on me saying i was disabled, because of my sexuality.

hahaha she's an idiot though ^^

Soul Eater
December 10th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I can spin around for obscenely long amounts of time without falling down.
(But when I stop, I basically have a seizure.)

My mother picked on me saying i was disabled, because of my sexuality.

hahaha she's an idiot though ^^

I REALLY don't want to sound like I am being a mini-mod but those posts aren't worth reporting anyway.

I'd like you to explain why these are disabilities. When i said any disabilities were excepted I meant ones that I couldn't name. I didnt mean for you guys to start getting a kick out of it. If this keeps up I'm going to be strict with what can be talked about because this is not what I had in mind. D:

A disability is something that disables you from physical movement or disables you from developing like a normal human being. Other things can also include the inability to breathe or see even, and hear like what some have said. Some are colorblind and for some who are deaf, say the are semi deaf...or whatever. That's what I meant. Things like that.

New rules include a disability that you ISN'T a childish reason. A disability that disables you from doing something and NOT being able to not get a girlfriend. I don't care what you say, if anything, that's probably because you aren't boyfriend material.

Please, start being serious or I'll have to ask a mod or higher to close this.

Again, I'm not mini-modding, I'm just sick and tired of, "I'm disabled because I can't get a girlfriend" or "I'm disabled because of my sexuality."

Though, if you can explain how sexuality is a disability then I will except that.

Loki
December 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Misayu has a point guys.

I understand that it's your opinion as to what is a disability and what is not, but try to think about those that do have real disabilities that hinder their day-to-day life. It'd probably be pretty offensive that you guys are treating this like a joke, y'know? And even if it's not a joke, that's kind of the impression I'm getting. xD; Just be a little more considerate, mmkay?

Ah, but in the meantime Misayu, you opened the discussion, so please try to keep an open mind. Those can actually be disabilities, but it's kind of one of those things that you just don't medically diagnose. Perhaps you want to specify that you want medically diagnosed disabilities?

Soul Eater
December 10th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Ah, but in the meantime Misayu, you opened the discussion, so please try to keep an open mind. Those can actually be disabilities, but it's kind of one of those things that you just don't medically diagnose. Perhaps you want to specify that you want medically diagnosed disabilities?

Yeah that's what I had in mind. Ones that are actually official. I wasnt very clear, appearantly because I had a hard time explaining that. >_<

HeidiMoose
December 11th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I don't know how much these are really considered disabilities, but I'll throw them in here:

Insomnia - Generally.. don't see myself falling asleep until about 3 in the morning or so.. then I end up sleeping all day, which is a waste.. especially on days that I have to go into work. >.< I need to get this fixed before school starts next semester.. otherwise I'm going to die..

Anxiety - Discovered this a little over two years ago in Gym class while running 3 1/2 laps around the track (4 laps makes a mile.. we were 'training'). It's almost like a mental thing that's followed up by the phsyical aspects. Basically.. as I was running, I was getting exhausted and my body hurt, I started thinking to myself that I can't go any further and that I was starting to have a very hard time breathing. Next thing I new I was grabbing onto my 'running partner (boyfriend at the time.. : / ), falling onto the ground, completely unable to breathe. The Gym teacher was very upset with me, didn't care that I had stopped breathing, told me to walk it out and get over it, and wouldn't excuse me from the mile... ended up getting an inhaler, so that got me through it - barely. This also effected my performance in Marching Band, as it would get difficult when you had to march at a fast pace, controlling your breathing so as to play the instrument right and play the song right, and feeling fatigued after doing this for about 10-15 minutes straight. One competition, we practiced a couple hours before we were supposed to be on-field for competition, and the same thing happened.. I was probably just very nervous, as this competition was the most important as far as our band is concerned. I ended up doing good during the actual competition but I got pretty scared for it.. As a very active band student, this got in the way on more than just that occasion, and was thoroughly frustrating.

Claustrophobia - Doesn't get in the way much, but it's ruined a few moments that should have been good - such as visiting the Statue of Liberty.. If you've been in the head of it, and went up those spiral stairs, that would be where I discovered my claustrophobia. This also leads to my horrible fear of Elevators. I hide it the best that I can, but when I'm in an elevator, I'm very uneasy.

Fear of Drains - I don't think there's a listed "phobia" for this, but I've always been scared of them since I was little.. bad dreams to blame for that. I can handle Bathtub drains fine.. Shower drains I can deal with a little less, but I don't get scared of them. Pool Drains.. that's the big fear. I won't touch one, I won't swim over one, I won't touch the floor of the pool if I can see the drain from where I stand. I will not go near them. An added issue along with this would be the filters on the side of the pool. I also won't go near them. And if there's a crack on the floor, filled in or exposed.. I also don't tend to wander towards those either. I also tend to avoid pools with patterns painted on the floor.. I don't like touching the painted pattern. Can't really explain why I fear those things.. Anything that's under the water in a pool and is visible scares me.. It tends to hinder my swimming experience, and I love to swim. Unfortunately in order for my swimming experience to be 100% pleasent and care free, I'd much prefer swimming in a lake or the river.. or especially the ocean (wierd.. because there's animals in those.. But I love animals. :) ) (Maybe this should be listed more as a fear of pools.. XD)

Like I said.. dunno if any of those count.. but I thought I'd throw them in there, since they do effect my general lifestyle..

Soul Eater
December 11th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I don't know how much these are really considered disabilities, but I'll throw them in here:

Claustrophobia - Doesn't get in the way much, but it's ruined a few moments that should have been good - such as visiting the Statue of Liberty.. If you've been in the head of it, and went up those spiral stairs, that would be where I discovered my claustrophobia. This also leads to my horrible fear of Elevators. I hide it the best that I can, but when I'm in an elevator, I'm very uneasy.

Like I said.. dunno if any of those count.. but I thought I'd throw them in there, since they do effect my general lifestyle..

Those are perfect. :3 Phobias can be considered disabling because of course, they can disable you from persuing the fear. Such as for me, If I see a spider, even as a picture, I usually cover my eyes because its like I feel like they are coming after me...its anxiety inducing.

Anyway, I have a mild fear of Elevators due to a bad experience in Montreal. See, I was still just a little girl then, maybe around 4 or five since I do remember it.

I was on one of the elevators that where you look out, like a glass elevator. Well, I was too busy looking out the window and my parents had already gotten off and I didnt know. I turned and saw them gone.

Being how young I was, I panicked because I didnt know where they were. I did find them of course. Now, if I know I have to go on an elevator myself, I take the stairs instead.

I think its become more of a moderate fear because I have these weird dreams where I get on an elevator and the floor gives out on me.

I'll except phobias as disabilities. Since, like I said, they can be disabling, especially when they can cause great panic and despair.

Degenerate
December 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Meh. I understand. If it is in your opinion(s) that my disability is but a joke then I shall accept it, for it is within your rights to have your own opinions.

Treatment: Realize you're just an 8 year old little boy who has no place in romance yet.

I suppose you're right. I'm too immature to deal with these kind of issues at the moment.

I'm claustrophobic too, although not to the point of feeling uncomfortable in elevators. I first realized I was claustrophobic when me and my friends were playing hide and seek. I thought it would be a really neat idea to curl myself up and hide between wardrobe shelves. Yeah, it didn't turn out to be a neat idea at all. I was in tears when they pulled me out. On the bright side, no one was able to find me until I started crying out for help. It's only the really REALLY tiny places that get to me, and the thought of being trapped in them.

Working Class Hero
December 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I have bone cancer, I am fat, and I need glasses. That count?

Vernikova
December 11th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Some people wouldn't really count it as one, but I'm really blind. I have a vision of 20/200 and it just stops me from participating in school and from being able to see far distances with closing my eyes like I'm in pain. I have glasses now so I guess it's a little better now.

Soul Eater
December 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I have bone cancer, I am fat, and I need glasses. That count?

Well, Bone cancer counts...I guess. I don't know how much of a disability cancer is except it making someone very sick and...you know. D:

I'm fat too but I'm actually really healthy, considering how my doctor says I am obese. XD

Magu: That counts. Since as I said, blindess is a considered a disability too or anything where you are unable to see due to color blindness or some sort of eye condition.