PDA

View Full Version : The holiday season....so what?

SamuraiMaster
December 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Am I the only person that feels like this?
It's the holiday season...so what?

You ever get tired of the ENDLESS Christmas music on the radio, the ENDLESS holiday advertising that sucks, the ENDLESS drives in the car, which half of the time consist of you freezing in a car, while the driver stays in the same place for a half hour watching at a bunch of blinking lights?

Honestly, I'm not trying to sound like a Scrooge, but America takes this whole Holiday thing way too seriously and commercial.

I hate the radio stations that start playing CHristmas music in the beginning of November. What's the point of that? Seriously it's not even winter yet, it's maybe 70 degrees outside and they play "Winter WOnderland." That's just stupid. (If you didn't know, I Hate snow. It's cold, and I hate cleaning up after it, expecially if it just dumps on you. Ever had to shovel your driveway, sidewalk, and porch after at least 3 feet has fellen to the ground? It sucks.)

There is nothing more about the holiday season that I hate more than advertising. The advertisements just suck. They just plain suck. ESPECIALLY the ones that always involve a stupid stuffed snoman playing an annoying carol over and over again while bobbing up and down on a sled. In these commercials, the whole family gathers around it like it's the best thing that's ever happened to them. I don't need to say anymore.

I don't particularaly mind putting up Christmas lights, in fact, I love doing it if the weather's good enough. But, I hate the people that spend over $5000 a year to pratically cover their house in christmas lights. Like they can't even walk their lawns without breaking a single bulb. THen, they blow a fuse, or have too much wire and the house burns to the ground. That's their own fault, I just put up a simple decoration. People that covver their house in lights with no distinct pattern or theme just don't get it.

Like I said, I'm not trying to sound like a complete jerk or Scrooge or anything, but what's all the fuss about? I know the true thing about CHristmas, but we've completally altered this holiday and changed it into a big shop til you drop event.

DOes anybody else here feel the same way as I do? Or is there something just wrong with me?

jasonresno
December 4th, 2008, 08:53 AM
It's not even winter yet? Tell that to the seven inches of snow in my front yard or the fact that I have to scrape ice off of my car every morning.

I love it all though (minus the terrible driving conditions) so I don't mind any of it.

wakachamo
December 4th, 2008, 10:46 AM
It's not necessarily consumers who drive this into a shopping spree. Companies are simply trying to get their stuff out in the busiest time of year for shopping. They've a reason for doing this.

It didn't exactly change Christmas; the spotlight has just increased, that's all.

devilicious
December 4th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I never cared much about the holidays, specially since I usually get my presents earlier and since I'm not Catholic, I couldn't care less about the rebirth of Christ or whatelse.

Either way, I'm glad that Christmas Sales exist. Yay for low prices.