PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Parliament

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
December 4th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Hey, depending on where you live, this may or may not be relevant to most of you. I'd like to discuss the pros and cons of the Scottish Parliament. Here's my problem - as scotland is officially part of the country of 'Britain' they are allowed into the 'British' parliament. However, while there is a scottish parliament, purely for scots, there is no english parliament purely for the english.

Discuss.

Gold warehouse
December 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I can't see why some people in Scotland want to be independent so much, GB is stronger as one economicallly and military. Let them have their own parliament England will never protest independance so we don't need one.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
December 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I see your point, but surely Scotland should either be a separate country with its own parliament or be part of Britain and be part of the British Parliament. Its like a small part of the country wanting a parliament.

Gold warehouse
December 6th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Well I guess it's similar to Britain and the EU, Britain has her own parliament to take care of herself but is also involved in European matters in the EU; Scotland has it's own parliament for matters that only involve Scotland. I think if Scotland want their own parliament then fine, it dosn't make much difference to anybody other than Scotland and it's not like their planning a revolution or anything.

processr
December 6th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I believe there was a referendum in 2004 in the north-east of England, in order to see if they wanted a devolved Parliament. There were going to be two more referendums, for the north west and Yorkshire/Humber, but they were dropped after the vote in the north east came out as a resounding "no" - 77.9% rejected the proposals.

The only other place in England which has been really involved in devolution is Cornwall (I take it you're from the Falmouth in Cornwall, Vendak? I'm just over the Tamar in Plymouth. :D), with Mebyon Kernow and the Cornish Lib Dems aiming to establish a Cornish assembly, with a greater goal of Cornwall becoming a constituent country of the UK (i.e. giving it the same status as Wales, Scotland etc.) or even a country in its own right, like the Republic of Ireland.

There has been evidence (http://www.ipsos-mori.com/content/views-of-english-devolution.ashx) for support of an English assembly, but I think it's unlikely. Yes, there is a certain degree of double standards, in that while Scottish MPs can vote on matters that affect England (and other consistuent countries), English MPs cannot vote on matters that affect Scotland, but for now the English population seem content.