PDA

View Full Version : The question

Full Metal
December 6th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I have a question... A question that could change the world. Nah probably not but seriously though why does everyone use Katakana instead of hiragana? I can actually read the hiragana! stupid katakana.... i know it has something to do with foreign words or something but sheesh doesn't japan have any original words? Or is my idea completely wrong... I wonder... Also how do you type hiragana?

the bitter end.
December 6th, 2008, 05:58 AM
You use both, but it's easier for American people to use Katakana, actually for most original words, they use Kanji.

Cassino
December 6th, 2008, 08:45 AM
i know it has something to do with foreign words or something but sheesh doesn't japan have any original words?
There are just a lot of non-Japanese words in use in their language nowadays; doughnut for instance is written as donutu.
This is why half of any given sentence will likely be made up of katakana.

Or is my idea completely wrong... I wonder... Also how do you type hiragana?
If your 'idea' is about foreign people using katakana a lot, it's probably simply what most people will endeavour to learn first, and it's easier for the majority to write.

You can type in hiragana by getting yourself a Japanese IME. Ideally you'd need a Japanese keyboard to go with that so you know which buttons to press.
Somewhere in the 'language & regional options' under control panel (assuming you're running Windows) will be input language options. If you're on Vista you can simply set the Japanese for use, I think, but on XP and earlier you'll need your install disk handy.
Otherwise, you can look around the Internet and see what you find in the way of Japanese IMEs — I found myself a nice phonetic Russian IME using Google.