View Full Version : Question: Mini Modding?

December 9th, 2008, 3:38 PM
Can someone give me a textbook guide for what NOT to do when reporting something?

For example, should you post without infracting, infract without posting, or both?

I was infracted and warned about it, so I'd like to know where I'm going wrong.

December 9th, 2008, 3:41 PM
I really don't understand your question.

All you should do is report the post or whatever your reporting, don't post in the thread or leave a VM on the person's page that you're reporting them. That's basically it.

A staff member would explain it better I guess.

December 9th, 2008, 3:45 PM
Waait... I'm getting the impression that you think members can infract people. o3o

Mini-modding is just basically telling members that they did something wrong, or possibly posting that you reported a thread. For example:

You didn't have 4 words in your post. *reports*

I don't think this is in the right section.

You broke [rule].And so on. I guess if you spot someone breaking the rules, report the post. You shouldn't tell the member what they did wrong, 'cause that's what the staff is for.

A member's purpose is to post and enjoy the forum, not to rectify another member's wrongs. That's the staff's duty.

December 9th, 2008, 3:56 PM
If you mean what to do as a member, just report the post and say what is wrong with it.
For staff, they just infract. They only post saying ~CLOSED~ and such if it's a spam thread.

Glitter Stain
December 9th, 2008, 4:09 PM
Avoid confronting a member on their behavior/(n)etiquette regarding the PC Rules and you should be fine. (At least as far as mini-modding goes)

Zebra Thunderhead
December 9th, 2008, 4:11 PM
I suppose this is silently addressing me, since I infracted you...

Basically mini-modding is what the above posts have said. Kayashi hit the nail on the head. Rather than posting what's wrong with a thread, just report it and walk away. Staff can deal with that kind of stuff, we don't need members to throw their 2 cents in.

December 10th, 2008, 2:04 PM
So, if I see a thread/post breaking the rules, I should NOT post about it, but I SHOULD report it?

December 10th, 2008, 2:07 PM
So, if I see a thread/post breaking the rules, I should NOT post about it, but I SHOULD report it?You've got it. :< Report it, and then don't say a thing about it in a post.

December 10th, 2008, 2:11 PM
You've got it. :< Report it, and then don't say a thing about it in a post.

Or if the rule-breaking post is a new topic, don't even reply to it, as you'd only be adding to the spam. =/

Zebra Thunderhead
December 10th, 2008, 2:11 PM
Kayashi, stop sniping my answers. xD

But yeah, that's basically what you do.

December 10th, 2008, 2:25 PM
Basically, what Kayashi and CME said. But I just thought I'd add, another reason why mini-modding is discouraged is because it tends to confuse members. I've had several cases where a member breaks a rule, and then gets confused when another member comes along and points it out. Even if the mini-modding is correct (when half the time it isn't XD;) it still does more harm then good, at least from the experience with it I've had.

So yeah, what Kayashi and CME said, stick to reporting :>