PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: Thread Title

Glitter Stain
December 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Has no one ever suggested the ability for regular members to change the title of their own threads? I think it could be extraordinarily useful for tournaments [Round 1 has begun!], graphics shops [Requests Closed Temporarily], sprite comics/fanfics [Chapter 12 Completed], trade threads [Currently Hunting for: Electabuzz], etc. It could also be used to correct errors in thread titles or to change the title if the direction of the thread has changed. Now, the only two possible arguments I could see against this are:

It's not possible.
It was possible on PE2K's Sprite Art board for quite a while. (and may still be)

It could be abused.
Many, many things are already abused on PC. :|

Guillermo
December 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I think it's a rather good idea. I don't see what could go wrong, why would people bother abusing their own thread title?

Narcissus Secret
December 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I think that it will be abused, to many people will be changing their titles for little things, and then pretty soon you won't recognize some of the threads with constant name changes.

BUT
I would love to have it to fix little spelling errors, and typos.. and maybe add a word or two..but I personally think, that if they do allow it, it should be a perk for a donor.

Lover's Kite
December 9th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Has no one ever suggested the ability for regular members to change the title of their own threads? I think it could be extraordinarily useful for tournaments [Round 1 has begun!], graphics shops [Requests Closed Temporarily], sprite comics/fanfics [Chapter 12 Completed], trade threads [Currently Hunting for: Electabuzz], etc. It could also be used to correct errors in thread titles or to change the title if the direction of the thread has changed. Now, the only two possible arguments I could see against this are:

It's not possible.
It was possible on PE2K's Sprite Art board for quite a while. (and may still be)

It could be abused.

Yes, it can be VERY helpful, but like you stated above, it will be abused; especially in the Emulation area. But yes, I would love that feature, but it's up to the staff members, also if it's even possible (again, stated above, I think it is....)

Forever
December 9th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Members can change their thread titles for only a short time after it's made.

Vernikova
December 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I actually like the idea of being bale to change the name of your thread if you happen to make a mistake and don't notice it immediately. I've done it at least one time and I'm sure there are some people that have had that happen to them. But I want to hear why it hasn't been brought up yet by a staff member.

Guillermo
December 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
If it's only for their thread then why abuse it?

You gain nothing out of it, if it's their thread what's the point in abusing it?

Narcissus Secret
December 9th, 2008, 05:10 PM
He means, what is displayed. Like if the thread Title was:
Thraed Title, and you wanted to change it so that when you are viewing the index it read Thread Title, instead pf that mistake.. without having to contact a moderator/staff member, he doesn't just want to change the title of the post, like how my title is TITLE

Forever
December 9th, 2008, 05:12 PM
And? That's what I mean, you can correct mistakes if you realise them straight after posting.

Narcissus Secret
December 9th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Oh, I didn't know, I was never able to do that.. Hmph. Well, back to what the others said, what if you don't notice it immediately?

Forever
December 9th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Well that's all you can do really. Because I don't see the staff agreeing to allow members to change thread titles whenever they want.

Vernikova
December 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Oh, I didn't know, I was never able to do that.. Hmph. Well, back to what the others said, what if you don't notice it immediately?

I would guess that people would have to be interested in it to actually read the first post or get what that title means. Especially if it was tiny mistake such as forgetting a letter or something like that.

Glitter Stain
December 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I think that it will be abused, to many people will be changing their titles for little things, and then pretty soon you won't recognize some of the threads with constant name changes.

BUT
I would love to have it to fix little spelling errors, and typos.. and maybe add a word or two..but I personally think, that if they do allow it, it should be a perk for a donor.
I disagree... donors do help the community, but changing thread titles is a lot more useful than blogs or the such. That's why it's more of a tool than a perk.
Yes, it can be VERY helpful, but like you stated above, it will be abused; especially in the Emulation area. But yes, I would love that feature, but it's up to the staff members, also if it's even possible (again, stated above, I think it is....)
Well, my point was that things are already abused (rep, for example), so I don't think that's an entirely valid reason.
Doesn't really explain why it shouldn't be extended.

Mr. Curling Iron
December 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Well, for the graphics forum we could add a little box where we can have [Taking Requests], or [Requests Full], or [No Requests], or in the DPPt Trading area where you can have [New, Legit Mew], [Legit Origin Forme] bla bla bla XD

But yeah... If we can add a little box that would add some extra information I dont see any harm in it o.o

Not saying every forum should have it since some forums dont need it and it'd just be a burden on the mods there

Forever
December 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Doesn't really explain why it shouldn't be extended.

Because if the staff wanted it to be extended, it would have been already.

Glitter Stain
December 9th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Because if the staff wanted it to be extended, it would have been already.
That's pretty close-minded, and kind of out-of-nowhere. Why would they even accept suggestions if that was true?

Forever
December 9th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure something similar has been suggested before (probably imagining it though).

But logically, as you said, it'd be abused and just asking a staff member to change your thread title is easier.

Glitter Stain
December 9th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I'm pretty sure something similar has been suggested before (probably imagining it though).

But logically, as you said, it'd be abused and just asking a staff member to change your thread title is easier.
I have no clue how that would be easier... you'd have to wait, you'd have to annoy the staff member, and it might not even be valid by the time it's changed.

Mr. Curling Iron
December 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM
yeah I agree with GS... but we dont need it on every single forum so maybe the staff decided to leave the feature out

eg. where its not needed
New Users / Welcome
Why the hell do new users need to edit their thread titles?

Giving features that can be abused o.o

eg. Hi! I'm new. --> Hi! I'm new.

eg. Where it is needed
Wifi Trade Center
This will help you find what you need quickly and help people get their trades out quicker.

eg. Jokerman's Trade-barn --> Jokerman's Trade-barn [Can breed any Kanto/Sinnoh Pokemon]

[s][/just felt like replying XD]

Forever
December 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I have no clue how that would be easier... you'd have to wait, you'd have to annoy the staff member, and it might not even be valid by the time it's changed.

But it's been going by that system from the start and no problems have arised, so why change it now?

Edit: this (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32676&highlight=thread+titles) is the only really relative thing that I can find, which basically explains the views then. (and now?)

Angela
December 9th, 2008, 05:35 PM

It's not possible.

It could be abused.

It is still possible on PE2K;)
I just changed the name of my thread on there today:D, and that option is not only in the spriters art board, it is also in the wifi section, and probably everywhere on there:D....

I like this idea;), but don't we already have that?

I mean I corrected a spelling error the other day on here in one of my threads.

Mr. Curling Iron
December 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM
But it's been going by that system from the start and no problems have arised, so why change it now?

To make it eezierz for teh memburz?

XD

Forever
December 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I like this idea;), but don't we already have that?

I mean I corrected a spelling error the other day on here in one of my threads.

As I said, you can change it a short time after it's made.

Glitter Stain
December 9th, 2008, 05:38 PM

Edit: this (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32676&highlight=thread+titles) is the only really relative thing that I can find, which basically explains the views then. (and now?)
Reputation was gone for quite a while. The old V-Bulletin didn't HAVE to be implemented... how is this any different?

And that link is from 2005...

Forever
December 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM
They decided to give it a second chance obviously.

Yeah and? It still relates today. If there were a problem with that, they would've stopped doing it that way.

Mr. Curling Iron
December 9th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Also, the link Forever gave shows us that something similar was possible (through the use of the sub-titles for threads) but that function is now Disabled :/

BakingBluePotatoe
December 9th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Can't you just enable it in some sections and disable it in others?

Like in the WiFi Battling/Trading, Pixel Projects, Graphics & Photography, Fanfiction (Pokemon and Non-Pokemon), Game/Hack Development sections? IMO, they could use it......

Avey
December 10th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Doubt anyone is going to acknowledge my existence, but I'm just posting to say that I'm in favour of the idea. More pros than cons if it were to go ahead, I think.

ErickaVolt
December 10th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I am fine with this idea. I have no idea how changing title can be abused. o.o

THIRTY-SIX
December 10th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I'd probably abuse it with my gallery thread. Though if I was was actually able just knowing I could would mean I probably wouldn't, too often. xD
I mean I'd probably type in when it was last updated.

Archer
December 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Hey, I don't personally care if it's left the way it is, the Staff are active enough in most sections to change it rather fast, although this could always be tested and we could observe the results?

As for a Supporter Bonus, I really can't see this as appropriate. The bonuses are all novelties, increased limits, etc. This is a right that should be given to all members or Staff exclusively. This is coming from a supporter.