PDA

View Full Version : My parents are really making me mad.

Working Class Hero
December 11th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I decided to become a vegetarian.(Except I still eat fish and things like eggs because I don't want to die of malnourishment.) And now EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I see them, they shove meat in front of my face acting like I will break it making the most annoying sounds you can imagine. Hence going "MMM" for 2 minutes without stopping. I don't even like meat. The only meat I remotely like is beef and it isn't even that good. And they know I like mainly vegetables anyways. So basically they are just throwing their stupidity into my face and making me embrace it.

Are anyone else's parents stupi...I mean completely rude?

Also I don't have anything against eating animals. I just don't like meat that much.

Woo finished Spanish essay!

Voltagenic
December 11th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Just want to warn you: Take protein supplements. Vegetarians are in the hospital a lot because of not getting enough protein.

jasonresno
December 11th, 2008, 02:37 PM
They aren't stupid for liking meat so they aren't throwing stupidity at you. They are being jerks though and that's not cool. No offense, most kids that go vegetarian end up quitting it in a week and that's probably what they think. Prove em wrong.

Working Class Hero
December 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Just want to warn you: Take protein supplements. Vegetarians are in the hospital a lot because of not getting enough protein.
I know. I don't have any right now so I have egg whites for breakfast every morning. Thanks. ^_^
They aren't stupid for liking meat so they aren't throwing stupidity at you. They are being jerks though and that's not cool. No offense, most kids that go vegetarian end up quitting it in a week and that's probably what they think. Prove em wrong.
I am not saying they are stupid for liking meat. I am saying they are stupid for thinking that they can tempt me with something I really don't like at all even though I have told them over a hundred times. (Exaggeration for a lot.)

Avey
December 11th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Be stubborn. The only two reasons I can think of as to why they'd tempt you to eat meat are either because your family don't want to have to go to the expense of buying vegetarian-only food or because they think you won't stick at it. My sister tried being a vegetarian a few years ago and after a few minutes at the dinner table (which consisted of my parents eating meat and putting great emphasis on how great it tasted) she gave in to her temptation and grabbed a sausage.

If you're serious about this, don't let your family get on your nerves. Once they realise that you're going to stick at this, they'll stop.

Or there could be another motive for their actions and this post is completely useless to you, I don't know.

Vernikova
December 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Eat beans butter and peanut sandwhiches. They'll get you a lot of protien as well as nuts. But I'm happy that you're standing up to them. I mean, I wouldn't be able to resist eating animals for my own gain.

Cherrim
December 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I decided to become a vegetarian.(Except I still eat fish and things like eggs because I don't want to die of malnourishment.) And now EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I see them, they shove meat in front of my face acting like I will break it making the most annoying sounds you can imagine. Hence going "MMM" for 2 minutes without stopping. I don't even like meat. The only meat I remotely like is beef and it isn't even that good. And they know I like mainly vegetables anyways. So basically they are just throwing their stupidity into my face and making me embrace it.

Also I don't have anything against eating animals. I just don't like meat that much.

It sounds like they just aren't taking you seriously at all. :| Sit down and have a serious talk about them over all this. Mention that you've put a lot of thought into your decision, explain how you're going to get your protein otherwise, give them vegetarian meal options that the whole family can enjoy or dishes that can have meat in them but are easily alterable so you could eat it too, etc. Lots of teens go through phases where they think being vegetarian is cool--I'm not saying you are, but a lot of people will probably assume you're just doing it for the hell of it. So convince your parents that you aren't. :/

If they keep doing it anyway, just refuse to sit at the table with them when they do that. :P If you just get up and walk out, it'll probably piss them off and they'll stop doing it if only to stop setting you off.

ErickaVolt
December 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Well vegetables are good. But you also need to eat meat for protein. Maybe your parent don't want you to get lack of proteins. Just obey them.

Vernikova
December 11th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Well vegetables are good. But you also need to eat meat for protein. Maybe your parent don't want you to get lack of proteins. Just obey them.

You can get protein from other non-meat foods such as beans, nuts, etc. Alne they don't have enough, but if you mix them with another like peanut butter on whole wheat bread, IIRC, you get the protein you need. That's how other vegetarians get their protein.

Angela
December 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I decided to become a vegetarian.(Except I still eat fish and things like eggs because I don't want to die of malnourishment.)

The only meat I remotely like is beef and it isn't even that good.

Mmmmmmmmmmm Roooooaaaasttt Beeeaaaaaffff, *drools a little*

Last year I was a vegan (had been for 18 months when I stopped), I only stopped in November because I found out I had migraine, so I'm not going to be taking any chances of missing any vitamins or anything like that.

If you eat plenty of vegetables, your blods Iron supply should remain in place,
You might want to go the health clinic and have them test your Iron amount, it's weary simple they just stab you with a needle and put a blood drop on a little test, takes less then 4 minutes to get results.

But about your parent's,

Maybe you are the kind of child that takes these crazy decisions and does not stick to them, so they kinda just ignore all your shenanigans and probably think "It's just another one of Stevie's crazy shenanigans"

They'll probably come to in a month, if you stick to being vegan, if you do not then you've just given them more reason to doubt you the next time your gonna do something like that.

God
December 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Steve, get on MSN so I can totally make private vegetarian jokes.

I'm guessing that they haven't accepted you becoming a vegetarian and are still trying to make you eat meat, because thats the way they can cope(?).

God damnit, I need to stop reading off the back of bacon boxes.

Working Class Hero
December 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Last year I was a vegan (had been for 18 months when I stopped), I only stopped in November because I found out I had migraine, so I'm not going to be taking any chances of missing any vitamins or anything like that.

If you eat plenty of vegetables, your blods Iron supply should remain in place,
You might want to go the health clinic and have them test your Iron amount, it's weary simple they just stab you with a needle and put a blood drop on a little test, takes less then 4 minutes to get results.

But about your parent's,

Maybe you are the kind of child that takes these crazy decisions and does not stick to them, so they kinda just ignore all your shenanigans and probably think "It's just another one of Stevie's crazy shenanigans"

They'll probably come to in a month, if you stick to being vegan, if you do not then you've just given them more reason to doubt you the next time your gonna do something like that.
Vegans are different from vegetarians. Vegans eat no meat, wear nothing tested on animals, and drink or eat anything dairy. Vegetarians just don't eat meat and don't wear leather. I only have fake leather and I just basically don't eat red meat and some others because by definition meat comes from mammals. You would have to be a moron to stop eating fish. And I never have poultry except on Thanksgiving.

And I do stay to everything I set my mind to. Except languages but they don't know that I have tried learning over 20 languages in the past year. o_o

And why did you stop for a migraine? Migraines are caused by tightening of the tissue and muscles in your skull. Most the time do to stress. And if you were afraid of not getting enough vitamins just get some vitamin supplements. I drink vitamin water every morning.
Steve, get on MSN so I can totally make private vegetarian jokes.

I'm guessing that they haven't accepted you becoming a vegetarian and are still trying to make you eat meat, because thats the way they can cope(?).

God damnit, I need to stop reading off the back of bacon boxes.
Yeah, but they are stupid and fail to realize the numerous times I have told them that most meat taste bad including bacon. :]

liketoys0000
December 11th, 2008, 11:31 PM
wow... i have met the same problems

Gold warehouse
December 12th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I have also recently become Pescetarian (which is the proper term for somebody who eats fish but no other meat) for the past 6 months I have been thinking of new meals to use and using this site for recipes: http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/index.html

I cook vegetarian meals for me and my family to show that it's not just eating like a rabbit and there are a variety of good tasting vegetarian meals. If your parents want to play at that game, play against them, if they start being a pain in the ass, talk about the whole process the animals go through and be really graphic about it, don't spare any details. When my dad starts saying anything about it I will start telling him the pros of being a vegetarian and he asks me to stop eventually when he knows I've won and will leave me alone, at least for a while anyway.

Noah Ridgewood
December 12th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I have actually been thinking about trying to become a vegetarian. I never really liked the fact that I was eating an animal for dinner every night for the past sixteen years and looking at the majority of meat out there just makes me feel very uncomfortable and sick to the stomach. Now, the only animals I actually like to eat are ham (which I can manage without) and poultry. As a matter of fact, they're basically the only mean I eat to tell you the truth. So, I doubt that I will last very long if my father decided to cook one of those for dinner. I suppose the term would be Poultritarian? Anyway, thank you for making this thread. I know you had completely different intentions on making it, but it's made me want to become one even more because I have a father who I know will make fun of me for my decision and try to get me to break, which I don't do easily with him.

I have no advice to you other than the obvious. As much as it bothers you, don't show it. Ignore what they are doing. When they stick some meat in your face just say something witty to them. I'm sure you can think of something if put into the situation again. There isn't much more you can do. You can try doing what Lightning said and talk to them about the situation, but I've done that before with me wanting to become a home-schooler and the only person who was even remotely on my side was my mother. So I suppose if you win over one of your parents, the other one will eventually give up. Though they both will over time if you can show them that you are serious about this decision.

BakingBluePotatoe
December 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
meh, I dun like fish (Shrimp and Lobster are win, though =3)... I do sometimes have Hamburgers, and I usually order Pepperoni on my Pizza..... SOMETIMES I'll eat Bacon (It's awesome, so I don't eat it too often so the spark isn't lost.)....

But my favorite meat is... Chicken. And Turkey. (Much to the dismay of Torcher and Pochaa x3 I'm constantly getting firepunched and bubblebeamed for it xD)

I don't really like any other meat stuff...

But hey, I can go Vegetarian if I felt like it. x3 (I like those meat substitutes my dad buys {Morning Star brand =3})

I dunno what to tell you... maybe they're worried about you not getting enough.... whatever vitamins that are mostly found in meat.

Gold warehouse
December 12th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I dunno what to tell you... maybe they're worried about you not getting enough.... whatever vitamins that are mostly found in meat.

I doubt it, they just seem to be ridiculing him and don't appear to be concerned at all.

Working Class Hero
December 12th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Poultry and Fish isn't, by definition meat. Meat comes from mammals. Poultry comes from birds. And seafood comes from the "If I have to actually say it you're a moron" Sea. :3

Thank you all.

They aren't concerned at all. They just are buttcracks. :\

Stronkadonk
December 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM
My parents are just control freaks, but...
There isn't anything wrong with just fruit and veggies.
It's up to you what you eat.
End of story.

houston
December 12th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Well, I believe your parents just think it was a crazy idea, and you'll get over it, so they're teasing you and having some fun....or, they're doing everything to make you go back on your decision, and eat meat again. Anyway, you can connect both if you want.

Possible solutions for your problem?
Well I think you can choose between two options.
A- Face them, and convince them that this is for real (probably the hardest one, as they don't really seem to believe you in this situation)
B- just ignore what they do until they realize you were being serious when you decided to go vegetarian.

And as it is said above...it's up to you what you eat.

Ripper
December 12th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I don't like you simply because you are a pretender. No offense.

Anyone who eats no meat, bar fish, is a jerk. How can one discriminate between different types of meat? It completely ruins the point of being a vegetarien/vegan.

GardevoirsLover
December 12th, 2008, 04:20 PM
My sis became a vegeterian,but I think she still ate fish.

Ripper
December 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
"The Vegetarian Society, which initiated popular usage of the term vegetarian as early as 1847, condemns the association of semi-vegetarian diets as valid vegetarianism; the organisation points out that the consumption of fish is not vegetarian."

Tapioca
December 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I don't like you simply because you are a pretender. No offense.

Anyone who eats no meat, bar fish, is a jerk. How can one discriminate between different types of meat? It completely ruins the point of being a vegetarien/vegan.

"The Vegetarian Society, which initiated popular usage of the term vegetarian as early as 1847, condemns the association of semi-vegetarian diets as valid vegetarianism; the organisation points out that the consumption of fish is not vegetarian."Wow. Way to be blunt, you jerk. You don't HAVE to be so negative towards him, it's his choice, not yours :/

Anyway. That's extremely immature of them. They should take your choices in life a little more seriously, cause they're acting like three year olds :|

Buoysel
December 12th, 2008, 08:28 PM

I had a similar problem once; I had enough one day, so I told my dad I didn't like his actions, and if he didn't quit, I would treat him the way he was treating me. Haven’t had the same problem since.

Now if I could only get him to stop asking so many damn questions.

Ripper
December 12th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I decided to become a vegetarian.

Just pointing out that he's saying he's a vegetarian, when he's not. The whole point of being a vegetarien is to preserve animals. It's like saying 'oh, I hate people who test products on animals, except cats, I don't mind testing products on cats'. You can't split hairs, you're either a vegetarian or you're not. In this case he is not.

I know he says that he has nothing against eating animals, it's just that he doesn't like the taste, it just seems strange to claim being a vegetarian, as for all he knows, there may be a type of meat he likes and therefore eats it. This implies he isn't vegetarian, he just doesn't like the taste of some meats cooked in certain ways. So what's wrong with his parents trying to get him to eat meat, it's like others' parents trying to get them to eat vegetables. It's now infringing on his beliefs, just his tastes, which is what basically all parents do. It's a completely different issue to what half the vegetarians here have to put up with (not that I'm a vegetarian.).

Tapioca
December 12th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Just pointing out that he's saying he's a vegetarian, when he's not. The whole point of being a vegetarien is to preserve animals. It's like saying 'oh, I hate people who test products on animals, except cats, I don't mind testing products on cats'. You can't split hairs, you're either a vegetarian or you're not. In this case he is not.

He used the wrong term then, correct him, don't insult him for it, jeez ._.
The fact is he's not eating our cows and chicken and shizz, you just made three posts insulting him for no reason. Don't be so rude, it's not hard.

Ripper
December 12th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Just to be pedantic, I didn't actually insult him. I said I didn't like him, which shouldn't be insulting.

I've edited my post just to add some more clarification.

I'm not trying to offend t.A.T.u, just trying to point out how misleading he's being.

Buoysel
December 12th, 2008, 08:39 PM

I disagree, some people just don't like meat, and that is what the author of this tread stated.

Saying that he is not a vegetarian because he is not on some kind of crusade to save the pigs in some foreign county is wrong.

Ripper
December 12th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I'll repost my added second paragraph...

I know he says that he has nothing against eating animals, it's just that he doesn't like the taste, it just seems strange to claim being a vegetarian, as for all he knows, there may be a type of meat he likes and therefore eats it (currently just fish). This implies he isn't vegetarian, he just doesn't like the taste of some meats cooked in certain ways. So what's wrong with his parents trying to get him to eat meat, it's like others' parents trying to get them to eat vegetables. It's now infringing on his beliefs, just his tastes, which is what basically all parents do. It's a completely different issue to what half the vegetarians here have to put up with (not that I'm a vegetarian.).

Buoysel
December 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I'll repost my added second paragraph...

I know he says that he has nothing against eating animals, it's just that he doesn't like the taste, it just seems strange to claim being a vegetarian, as for all he knows, there may be a type of meat he likes and therefore eats it (currently just fish). This implies he isn't vegetarian, he just doesn't like the taste of some meats cooked in certain ways. So what's wrong with his parents trying to get him to eat meat, it's like others' parents trying to get them to eat vegetables. It's now infringing on his beliefs, just his tastes, which is what basically all parents do. It's a completely different issue to what half the vegetarians here have to put up with (not that I'm a vegetarian.).
I shall consult wiki:

Semi-vegetarianism is a term used to describe the practice of excluding some meat (particularly red meat) from the diet while still consuming limited amounts of poultry, fish, and/or seafood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-vegetarianism

pkmnhippy
December 12th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Err... So you live off Eggs? Which is classified as a type of meat? What a good Vegetarian you are, plus if you cared you wouldn't eat fish as well, unless you just don't like the taste, then your diet is just choice.

Anyway, it's your choice and you should point out they are discriminating against you and other Vegetarians, tell them they have the same rights just as Gays and Africans alike.

Ripper
December 12th, 2008, 08:47 PM
And as I've posted, not to turn this into a back and forth argument...

"The Vegetarian Society, which initiated popular usage of the term vegetarian as early as 1847, condemns the association of semi-vegetarian diets as valid vegetarianism; the organisation points out that the consumption of fish is not vegetarian."

Tapioca
December 12th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Some people would think it's insulting xD; Buuut, now I get what you're saying better. You're right.

Alrighty. t.A.T.u. used the wrong term, he's a semi-vegetarian (provided he's against red meat). Correct? I'm just now realizing how pointless what I said before was, sorry about that xD;

Ripper
December 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Fair game. We will stop here and say he was wrong in using the wrong term/being misleading, I was wrong in being confrontational, and being insulting/jerky, and you were wrong in jumping to quickly to defend him/not fully understanding my point (which was partly due to me editing my post).

Or something...

So we will conclude here. You may now continue trashtalking your parents :P

Gold warehouse
December 13th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Yes he is a Pescetarian, which is what I said in an earlier post; he may just not have known the proper term no need to get shirty about it. Fish are completly different animals and I have no issues with eating them.

Also @ pkmnhippy, nearly all vegetarians eat eggs; vegans are the ones who don't eat eggs or dairy.

MikeZzZ808
December 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
well if this problem continues after about a month or so i would talk to my parents to see what the problem is and if its the dietary needs then i would set up a diet that gives all the needed vitamins and show it to them.

Ripper
December 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Yes he is a Pescetarian, which is what I said in an earlier post; he may just not have known the proper term no need to get shirty about it. Fish are completly different animals and I have no issues with eating them.

Also @ pkmnhippy, nearly all vegetarians eat eggs; vegans are the ones who don't eat eggs or dairy.

If you really want to go on...

He's saying that his parents try and get him to eat meat, and that the reason he doesn't eat some meats is that he doesn't like the taste of meat. This is completely different to when people are forced into eating foods that are against their beliefs. Imagine if I made a thread saying my parents are jerks because they make me eat vegetables.

Gold warehouse
December 14th, 2008, 01:22 AM
the reason he doesn't eat some meats is that he doesn't like the taste of meat.

He didn't say that; he says he dosnt like some meat but he didn't say that's the only reason he dosn't eat it.

Ripper
December 14th, 2008, 01:25 AM

Vendak, can you explain to me why he doesn't eat meat then? It seems pretty obvious from this point that the only reason is that he doesn't like meat.

Gold warehouse
December 14th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Vendak, can you explain to me why he doesn't eat meat then?
No? I don't know him and neither do you. We can't make assumptions

It seems pretty obvious from this point that the only reason is that he doesn't like meat.

Not necessarily, that could be a poor choice of words; there are plenty of other reasons to become a 'vegetarian' than thinking killing animals is immoral.

Ripper
December 14th, 2008, 01:47 AM
...Meat scares him? He's scared of... bad protein?

It doesn't matter anyway. Either way, his statements have been misinterpreted. Once again, we will leave it at this.