PDA

View Full Version : "Merry Christmas!" vs. "Happy Holidays!"

Aurafire
December 11th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I feel this topic would be more than appropriate now that Christmas is fast approaching.

I'm sure many of you are aware of this whole debacle...Workers at many retail stores have been told to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" so that those who do not celebrate Christmas are not offended. The efforts of the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) have been the main reason for this change. They have brought many lawsuits against these retail stores on behalf of a few disgruntled shoppers.

Many shoppers feel that "Happy Holidays" is a more socially acceptable term because it expresses a general acknowledgement of all of the holidays that are celebrated at this time of year. However, some people feel that "Merry Christmas" is a better option, as Christmas is a national holiday and is celebrated by the majority of Americans.

Do you think that stores should continue to say "Happy Holidays"? Should they say "Merry Christmas"? Are the two interchangeable? If you don't live in America, which term do hear the most, and do you agree with it? Discuss! =D

wolf
December 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM
You know, I think they should say "Happy Holidays" since there are people who don't celebrate Christmas. It is better in my opinion to say something that refers to everyone, which is fair to everyone! Heh, now that I saw this thread, then I will change my sig!

Young Stunna'
December 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I think people should be able to say whatever the heck they want to say.

Why? Because forcing companies to say "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" is a very liberal idea. It is just something to say. Happy Holidays doesn't offend Christmas-celebraters, so why should Merry Christmas offend non Christmas-celebraters? Are they just going to go back and change the songs now? "Have a holly, jolly Holiday." That doesn't sound right. The word Holiday means holy-day anyways. Its just like the whole homosexual deal, if you don't agree with them they will pull the government into it and try to change the law and all kinds of crap. People are just offended to easily.

Thomas
December 11th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I actually prefer "Happy Christmas" and "Merry Holidays"...

wolf
December 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I think people should be able to say whatever the heck they want to say.

Why? Because forcing companies to say "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" is a very liberal idea. It is just something to say. Happy Holidays doesn't offend Christmas-celebraters, so why should Merry Christmas offend non Christmas-celebraters? Are they just going to go back and change the songs now? "Have a holly, jolly Holiday." That doesn't sound right. The word Holiday means holy-day anyways. Its just like the whole homosexual deal, if you don't agree with them they will pull the government into it and try to change the law and all kinds of crap. People are just offended to easily.
You know, I agree after reading your opinion! I mean why change the saying when the songs are also like that?

Harley Quinn
December 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Retarded much?
Everythings getting too PC these days, and leaving nothin to chance.

Change it back to Merry Christmas.

TRIFORCE89
December 11th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I'm Catholic I will greet people with "Merry Christmas". If someone greets me with "Happy Hanukkah", I'll reply with "Happy Hanukkah". I take no offense and I don't expect anyone to take offense to me wishing them a Merry Christmas. If you're of a different religion or of no religion, well...I still want you to have a very merry December 25th regardless. Hope you have a great day.

Happy holidays is good for describing the season, as it is made of many different celebrations. However, if the store has Santa or a Christmas tree in it, then say Merry Christmas - because what you're selling is the secular version of Christmas.

Spinor
December 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I have no preference over both. I use Merry Christmas more often. But I don't mind use of either.

I sometimes wonder why British use "Happy Christmas". It makes no sense. But I guess it's just custom.

icomeanon6
December 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I've always thought that "Happy Holidays" sounds too politically correct and sterile. PC-America needs to grow up: living in a multicultural society does not mean suppressing any culture that is different from the safe, non-offensive one. Regardless, Christmas has become so secular that the American practice thereof hardly even qualifies as Christian anymore.

(Just don't tell PC-America that "Holiday" actually means "Holy day," otherwise they'd probably find an even more sterile alternative. Happy Non-Sectarian Days Off, anyone?)

jasonresno
December 11th, 2008, 09:43 PM
This faction of political correctness is ridiculous. Christmas has always been Christmas and likely always will be so. Let it be. A lot of non religious people celebrate Christmas and enjoy it so why should we ban such a harmless saying for a few morons?

moments.
December 11th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Well here in Australia nobody says Happy Holidays. I think that is an American thing...
We say Merry Christmas over here which is pretty common to a lot of people.

Horizon
December 11th, 2008, 11:51 PM
It's the same over here in the UK; all it is is political correctness. There was an attempt to have the name "Christmas" changed incase it was offensive, and soon we may not be allowed to call them "fairy lights" in case it offends homosexuals.

I'm not trying to be racist because I'm not like that. But if it's our traditions and our holiday, shouldn't we be allowed to celebrate it?

Ninja Caterpie
December 12th, 2008, 01:47 AM
It's too politically correct. -.-

I don't really care what they say, but restricting people just because less people are unhappy makes no sense. I mean, seriously, why take offence? Christmas is a world-wide celebration! If there's a Christmas tree, tinsle, mistletoe and all that jazz in the store, "Merry Christmas" is part of the jazz. The Christians can take it to mean Christmas and the non-Christians can go and take it as "X-mas". It doesn't hurt anyone at all. The morons calling it offensive are rather out of fashion, aren't they? Christmas is so little of a Christian Celebration these days that Christians could just go and get angry that it's called "X-Mas" sometimes. -.-

Being politically correct on harmless things just doesn't work. Nasty-minded civilians might just go and get Pokemon renamed "mini-mon". -.-

It's just not worth the effort.

BakingBluePotatoe
December 12th, 2008, 02:30 AM
hm... I guess saying "Merry Christmas" should be fine IF the other person said that too.. otherwise "Happy Holidays" is preferred.

That's just me =/

Ayouki Emerald
December 12th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I ignore this trivial greeting sometimes-I use both. Although happy and merry don't cut my diction. I would rather prefer blissful.

Jorah
December 12th, 2008, 03:20 AM
"Happy holidays" makes no sense, I wouldn't say it in the summer holidays XD It seems kind of de-personalised, if that makes sense. I would say "Merry Christmas" because I wish you a Merry Christmas. Other religions are going to call it by their own name and it's not offending anyone.

I sometimes wonder why British use "Happy Christmas". It makes no sense. But I guess it's just custom.

Huh? We use both "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Christmas", although I prefer "Merry" because "happy" is used for birthdays and Easter XD

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
December 12th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I've always prefeered "Merry ChristmasHannakuhKwanzaaWinterSolstice"

Happy Holidays is too politically correct, indeed.
If people are offended by having someone say Merry Christmas, well they should jump off a building and land on thier head to see if they get a clue.

I am NEVER going to be "poltically correct" because someone tells me to be.

Well anywho, It's only fair a little bit to anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas, I mean, Christmas celebraters get all the Holiday specials, songs, Santa at malls, etc.
A little Happy Holidays doesn't seem that much.

But, If peopl;e get offended by Merry Christmas, then they're- How Carlos Mencia would say, DE DEE DEEEEEEEEE.

Quite.

Amachi
December 12th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Seasons Greetings isn't secular enough?

Anyway, it reminds me of a story a couple years back when Westfield asked a store within it's centre to remove a nativity scene the owner had set up, I think so to not offend anyway.

I like walking past there and still seeing it there, year after year there, haha. I should really go up to the owner and wish him a Merry Christmas.

But yeah, I've never been a fan of political correctness, especially when forced. Plus this is the human language, it'll change on it's own but attempting to do so manually won't work, lol.

Cherrim
December 12th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I'm Catholic I will greet people with "Merry Christmas". If someone greets me with "Happy Hanukkah", I'll reply with "Happy Hanukkah". I take no offense and I don't expect anyone to take offense to me wishing them a Merry Christmas. If you're of a different religion or of no religion, well...I still want you to have a very merry December 25th regardless. Hope you have a great day.

Happy holidays is good for describing the season, as it is made of many different celebrations. However, if the store has Santa or a Christmas tree in it, then say Merry Christmas - because what you're selling is the secular version of Christmas.
^ This. Except I'm not Catholic (though I was raised Catholic).

I say Merry Christmas to people I know--almost everyone does celebrate Christmas (out of people around me, I mean). I will say Happy Holidays if it's warranted since it is more politically correct, but for the most part I don't really care. While it's good not to offend anyone, you've seriously got an entitlement problem if you go shopping during the Christmas rush to a mall/store decked out for Christmas, and feel personally insulted if someone wishes you a Merry Christmas instead of a non-denominational greeting. I mean, honestly? It's not hurting you. Most people saying it aren't even thinking of Jesus, God, etc. as they say it. Chances are their minds are on Santa and reindeer and stuff because that's what's marketed so heavily in the retail sector. o_O;

As for what I hear most--I'm in a very Italian area which means very Roman Catholic. So amongst friends, family, etc. it's all "Merry Christmas". I... must admit, though, I haven't been in a store where I've been wished anything yet. I did most of my Christmas shopping online and the only other stores I've been to were grocery stores and... I guess they have no policy for that? *shrug* I dunno what the retail workers are saying. :P

ErickaVolt
December 12th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Well in my country, I hear 'Merry Christmas' than 'Happy Holidays'. I think there's no difference between them. They used to like more Happy Holidays because its new and Merry Christmas is old.

Angela
December 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I think that is ridiculous, another example of how Americans choose the power of law sue over anything else, on what account are they suing the stores? for hurting the feelings of the Jews/Buddhist/Other religion,

I think it's pointless and that this ACLU should really think before they preach, because now they are forcing there believes up on other people.

Cassino
December 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Surely in Christian countries it should be fine to do so. I don't celebrate Christmas and happen to live on one such country and I'm not offended or anything at all.

Some people are just acting up, being stupid, all of that crap. It's like a child having a temper tantrum just because you won't buy him an ice-cream.

Angela
December 12th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Surely in Christian countries it should be fine to do so. I don't celebrate Christmas and happen to live on one such country and I'm not offended or anything at all.

Some people are just acting up, being stupid, all of that crap. It's like a child having a temper tantrum just because you won't buy him an ice-cream.
I know, that is so true, I think people are just acting up,,,,

fer
December 12th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I prefer Merry Christmas,though Happy Holidays is exceptional ;p,I hear way to much people say "Happy Holiday's" I'm okay with it though,besides people have the right to speak there own preferable way.

Aurafire
December 12th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I found a particular article straight from the ACLU website, explain their position on this issue:

http://www.aclu.org/religion/gen/22324res20051207.html

While they claim that no active lawsuits have been filed against the words "Merry Christmas", they have filed countless other "Christmas related" ones, including plenty regarding the public displaying of the nativity scene much like what Amachi said.

I'm not religious at all. I don't even believe in God, or any god for that matter. But I still celebrate Christmas. It's a national holiday that has become a tradition in this country, and plenty of people celebrate it without embracing the religious aspects of it. If this is so, then "Merry Christmas" is perfectly acceptable.

And since we're at it, let's ban the words "Merry Christmas" from all those carols, eh? People don't seem to be too offended by those =P

Metatron
December 12th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Alright, first let me start off by saying that, although I was raised catholic, I don't consider myself a religious person. At all.

However, regardless of your religion, this time of the year seems important to just about everyone. My friends that I know celebrate Christmas, I greet with "Merry Christmas." My Jewish friends I'll greet with "Happy Hanukah ." Anyone else will just get a "Happy Holidays." I understand the whole Politically Correct view on this, especially in public places. I mean, it's an important time of year for many different religions, not just Christians, so a store-greeter saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone passing through, even if they don't celebrate the holiday, could be offensive :/

I don't think it's a huge deal when this happens, I just think it's a bit inconsiderate to those of other religious beliefs, even if it's said with good intent.

TRIFORCE89
December 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM
But...there's nothing offensive about it. We're saying "have a nice day" basically, we're not trying to recruit anyone.

A store owner can say whatever he wants because it's private property. It's not publicly owned. He can put up a menorah or a nativity scene or whatever he wants.

Cherrim
December 12th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I don't personally know anyone who gets offended by stuff like this except young teens who think it's cool to hate religion. "OMG THEY'RE FORCING THEIR BELIEFS ON ME" when, um, no, they're just wishing you a "Merry Christmas." It's not like they're ranting and raving about how Jesus was born and he's the savior and if you're a non-believer you're going to hell, etc. If they were, yeah, I'd see cause for concern.

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, it's still a national holiday. It's Christmas Day on every calendar. It's internationally recognized. What's wrong with wishing someone a merry one whether they celebrate it or not?

Angela
December 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I don't personally know anyone who gets offended by stuff like this except young teens who think it's cool to hate religion. "OMG THEY'RE FORCING THEIR BELIEFS ON ME" when, um, no, they're just wishing you a "Merry Christmas." It's not like they're ranting and raving about how Jesus was born and he's the savior and if you're a non-believer you're going to hell, etc. If they were, yeah, I'd see cause for concern.

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, it's still a national holiday. It's Christmas Day on every calendar. It's internationally recognized. What's wrong with wishing someone a merry one whether they celebrate it or not?

I so agree with you, everybody knows Christmas is all about fun, and no one is forcing others to celebrate it, people just want to be nice and polite, and how are people suppose to know if other people don't believe in Christmas, it's not like people have it written on your their face "I don't celebrate Christmas".

Well this just shows us that some people just don't grow up from the whole "OMG THEY'RE FORCING THEIR BELIEFS ON ME" face.

wolf
December 12th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I would say anything they want! Besides Merry Christmas is in the songs and every calendar! Ugh, my principal has deleted every single song that says Merry Christmas!

Angela
December 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I would say anything they want! Besides Merry Christmas is in the songs and every calendar! Ugh, my principal has deleted every single song that says Merry Christmas!
What why did he do that?

And how?

From where did he delete them?

Did you just hand him your I-pod?

Metatron
December 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM
But...there's nothing offensive about it. We're saying "have a nice day" basically, we're not trying to recruit anyone.

I personally don't see anything offensive about it, don't get me wrong. It's just that, well, hearing about some of these recent cases of people complaining about being greeted with a "Merry Christmas," apparently some others do. Same with the "Under God" section of the US pledge of allegiance.

Yeah, it is considered a national holiday, but that doesn't change the fact that it did originate as a religious day. I myself just look at it as a general time of year for celebration, but lets not forget its roots =/

[font=tahoma]I don't personally know anyone who gets offended by stuff like this except young teens who think it's cool to hate religion. "OMG THEY'RE FORCING THEIR BELIEFS ON ME" when, um, no, they're just wishing you a "Merry Christmas." It's not like they're ranting and raving about how Jesus was born and he's the savior and if you're a non-believer you're going to hell, etc. If they were, yeah, I'd see cause for concern.

...Dude, I know so many people like this it's not even funny. I'm an atheist, yeah, but I'm not one of those people who runs around, criticizing everyone for their religious beliefs, just to make themselves look cool. I think that since there are so many of us at this point in time, not believing in a higher being doesn't make you a "rebel" anymore. Plus, those types of people are no better than the religious fanatics who actually do try to push their religion on you xD;

Merzbau
December 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Why are people making things so difficult, really?

Just outlaw freedom of speech and get it over with.

Problem solved.

Volkner's Apprentice
December 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM
When I cash people at my job, I just say "you have a good holiday", although if they say merry christmas I'll give one back. It doesn't bother me, and I have no problem having or wanting to say either.

jasonresno
December 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM
How in the world can someone actually be offended by "Merry Christmas"?

What is the name of the holiday on the 25th?

Christmas.

Ok. Case closed, when I see someone around Christmas I will wish them a Merry Christmas.

eljefe20
December 13th, 2008, 02:51 PM
i think merry xmas sound better than happy holidays but people can say whatever they want

Heartless33
December 13th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I think they should say "marry christmas" because it's christmas and it needs to be called that and if they say "happy holidays" then the other person will no have a clue on what holiday.

Netto Azure
December 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Well as you know Aura...I still preffer "Merry Christmas" since I am much more used to it after living most of my life in the Philippines. And it's true that "Christmas Celebration" has been secularized so there is no need to turn to such bland things as "Happy Holidays" Hey if the Japanese celebrate Christmas w/o being Christians there is no need to fight over this. But I don't mind saying which name the holidays that coincide in Winter has. ^_^ Just as long as we don't fight over it. =P

Idiot!
December 15th, 2008, 06:43 AM
We should just have both.

TRANSPARANCY
December 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I HATE political correctness... I mean come on whats so bad about saying Merry Christmas to someone? So what if they don't believe in Christianity, you should at least acknowledge that someone wishes you a good holiday and reply with for example "Happy Holidays to you too."

It is also like "Santa" with his Hohoho... If you don't know what a Ho is, well GoogleIT... Anyway to make it Politically Correct for this day and age the government wants it changed to Hehehe (Makes santa sound like he is the little girl).

Those are TRADITIONAL FESTIVE sayings and we should not say them in public?

What has this world come to >.<