PDA

View Full Version : How many hours do you hack in an average week?

Melash
December 14th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Okay, I saw these questions in an edition of the ROM Hacking Newsletter, so I decided to create a poll to see what the results would be. So, please vote how many hours you hack in an average week, and post about it. I know every week is probably different for you, so just vote on your regular, average week.

As for myself, I probably hack anywhere from 15 to 20 hours in my average week.

deepbluemew
December 15th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Cauz I quit romhacking years ago.
:P

Hiche..
December 15th, 2008, 02:20 AM
^ Lol.

In a busy week, I hack about 10 hours a week. In a normal week, I hack about 16 hours a week. If I am on vacation, and I have nothing else to do, I hack around 30-32 hours.

Darthatron
December 15th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I hack for.... OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hours per week.

Infamous Amos
December 15th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Probobly a little over 4...
It depends on if I am in a creative mood that week.

D-Trogh
December 15th, 2008, 03:32 AM
None?
I only hack during holidays XD

Thrace
December 15th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I have A-Map open on my computer all day. If I spend too much time hacking then I get bored of it and end up trying to force myself to hack which makes me want to hack less. x_x

If I had to guess I'd say its around 15 hours of solid hacking.

Tropical Sunlight
December 15th, 2008, 04:20 AM
8-10 hours a week... depends

Tyrantrum
December 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Kind of hard for me to say, since I don't really hack much for some reason! xD
Since I'm more of a mapper, I usually spend at least an hour or so mapping something..if I'm in the mood, or feel creative. :/

insectduel
December 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I hack at least 5 to 8 hours a day. I'm more like a NES Coder.

Banjora Marxvile
December 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I dibble dabble... That sounded weird...

Anyway, seeing as I am hardly needed in hacks, and don't want my own, about 3 hours.

Shadows
December 15th, 2008, 02:03 PM
About 1,1 1/2

I used to hack about 5~6 before I got busy.

Vrai
December 15th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I try to spend at least an hour a day hacking.

Or at least trying to hack. >.<

Ninja Caterpie
December 15th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I try to hack as much as I can, but...on a busy school week, I pull off about 5. On a non-busy school week, such as this one, I pull off maybe 10. On a holiday week, I can probably reach 15 or more. :\

Thrace, you're lucky. If I had Advance Map open the whole day, my parents would probably kill me for playing Pokemon so much. :(

X-Buster
December 16th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I hack for.... OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hours per week.

actually we only have 168 hrs. a week...

anyway, i hack 26-50 hours a week..

TB Pro
December 16th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Depends...Usually OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!

---

Ahem, on a serious note, If it's busy I can have as little as 2 ACTUAL hours of hacking(I'm on the comp all day, I just talk to people...a lot...). If I have a good free week I can hack up to 5 hours or real solid hacking, but it REALLY depends on my mood. If I can really get into hacking, I can hack up to 15-20 hours a week on a really perfect week. But yeah, it depends. In my answer for the RHN, I put my answer as how much time I was on the computer, which A-Map is usually open during, so get off my back, chappys.

Sarcastic Prince
December 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I am the OW Messer and I like to OW Sprite. (But not really good. I can only do OW fusions)

Anyways, I Hack for 10-20 Hours a week.

I try to hack as much as I can, but...on a busy school week, I pull off about 5. On a non-busy school week, such as this one, I pull off maybe 10. On a holiday week, I can probably reach 15 or more. :\

Thrace, you're lucky. If I had Advance Map open the whole day, my parents would probably kill me for playing Pokemon so much. :(

Umm, I am like Thrace too. I open AM all day. But... I am just Hacker in Training,

so I there's no real purpose on it anyway.

My Parents don't even care if I Hack Pokemon Games.

Geeked
December 31st, 2008, 07:32 PM
Ahh.. About a year ago, I spent 30-35 hrs a week hacking. (No life then)

Now, if I'm concentrated on a decent hack that's progressing, about 7-15 hrs of Hardcore Hacking.

MegaMaccer
January 7th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Uh, about 15 hours if I'm lucky. usually about 10 though

Disturbed
January 7th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I usually get in maybe 5 to 7 hours a week of pure hacking. Sometimes up to 12 if I'm lucky. Around holidays though, it sometimes gets as high as 20.

Cheesymitten
January 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Usually 2 i've got to go to school and things that i have to do

Yuritale
January 8th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Seeing as a whole week has only 144 hours, hacking for over 100 would leave one with only with (44/7 = 6x + 2 ) hours for EVERYTHING else.
I myself spent like.. I dunno, depends on how much problems I encounter and my patience level. 50-60 hours is a good estimate.

Joey the Cockroach
January 8th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I would say.... around 30 hours a week. Depends on what hack I work on.

Kazukii
January 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM
0 - I don't hack ^_^ I prefer to play games the way they're supposed to be =P

Chimchar 9
January 8th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hmm good question, i would say everyday about 10am to 11pm.

Ninja Caterpie
January 8th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hmm good question, i would say everyday about 10am to 11pm.

You do realise that's between ten in the morning and eleven at night, right? The time that most people are either at school, work, or generally doing something. That and they have lunch in between then.

Melash
January 8th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Hmm, I actually think I hack more like 10-15 hours, rather than 15-20 hours. It just kind of depends on the week, and what month it is. I do tendo to hack more when school's not in session, so....

colcolstyles
January 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM
There's too much variation in my hacking patterns to really say for sure.
I'm kind of a binge hacker xD
I can go weeks without even touching my hack folder but sometimes I'll spend upwards of six hours hacking in one day o_0

Chimchar 9
January 9th, 2009, 08:02 AM
You do realise that's between ten in the morning and eleven at night, right? The time that most people are either at school, work, or generally doing something. That and they have lunch in between then.umm just to let you know i don't go to school.

colcolstyles
January 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM
umm just to let you know i don't go to school.
So you're saying that you spend 13 hours every day in front of your computer, hacking?
That can't be healthy...

Imposter Oak
January 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I hack (creatively) relatively little, I find that whenever I do hack (creatively) for excessive amounts of time and consistently without getting a break, my brain feels like it's going into hibernation and I end up hating what I've produced. I like to spend most of my time coming up with ideas for hacks then writing them down as to not forget them. Actual hacking can be fun but staring at a hex editor just to implement some great idea can get a little boring after a while. If you just do a little per day (like people who hate exercise might do) then that's alright, at least your ideas are made available for people to play, at some pace. If you try cramming too much of one thing into one day then the chances are you'll become like a robot or just quit before you've barely got your ideas down in the ROM.

Chimchar 9
January 9th, 2009, 09:33 AM
So you're saying that you spend 13 hours every day in front of your computer, hacking?
That can't be healthy...
yeah, well im not fat and nearly everyday i go to travel down the south to train or have a match.
im in the youth team so in a few years ill be a pro.

p.s - what else is there to do if im on my own ?

colcolstyles
January 9th, 2009, 09:38 AM
yeah, well im not fat and nearly everyday i go to travel down the south to train or have a match.

I'm both confused and intrigued.
However, this is starting to get off-topic so I'll just stop now.

Imposter Oak
January 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM

I'm not fat and I don't work out or go on painful diets, I prefer intellectual challenges rather than purely physical ones, so I spend most of my life sitting in one place, so it's more than likely just my body type. Though I'm trying to change that a bit, as I'm just unfit as hell.

But if you get a recommended 8 hours sleep and then go and hack for 13 hours, then you only have 3 hours left in the day to eat etc and go to school, assuming you really are 15, at this time of the year and you live in the UK or you'll be getting fines from the government.

SethAragorn
January 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM
LOL i didnt know all of you spend so much time on the computer..
Like i only hack 30min in a week.
And spend 6 hours on the computer in a week.
:D

Binary
January 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I hack around 3 hours in a day, that's because I'am currently off-school (on vacation).
That means 21 hours in a week. Else I'd be hacking only around 5 hours in a week if school was on.

Korronensu
January 10th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Because my math skills suck, I'll just say "Most of the time".

zel 2.0
January 11th, 2009, 07:04 AM
So, I had gone through many periods, to be precise:

-If I just had Uni, I spent about 9 hours during the week, and about 18+ hours during the whole weekend
-On vacations probably it'd be 12+ hours per day
-Once I started my job (while having Uni) it got drastically reduced to maybe 10 hours during the 7 days
-And currently, well... XP

Binary
January 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
So, I had gone through many periods, to be precise:

-If I just had Uni, I spent about 9 hours during the week, and about 18+ hours during the whole weekend
-On vacations probably it'd be 12+ hours per day
-Once I started my job (while having Uni) it got drastically reduced to maybe 10 hours during the 7 days
-And currently, well... XP

Wow, you must have a hectic schedule xD..

darkmewham2
February 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Gee, I have to say 10-15 hours a week. (About 2 hours a day). It really depends on my mood, though. I'm hacking right now. ^^;

Corvus of the Black Night
February 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hmm.. considering that I have 8-9 hours after school, I hack about 6 of them. Then I have the weekends, which adds another 24 (at most) hours hacking, so thats, 5*6+24 = 54 hours a week.

I should get paid for this. =P

A lot of it is Music Hacking, though, and that takes a while, especially if you do it the (correct) way without using Sappy's built-in assembler. Has serious advantages over using it, besides the fact that Sappy 2006's a ***** with Vista.

Novus
February 19th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I generally hack about 10-20 hours a week depending on what I'm doing and what I feel like.

HentaiHentai
February 20th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Lol @ Darthatron ITS OVER 9000!!!!

Usually I hack about 5hrs a day. Unless Im sucked into my MMO which when that happens. I hack about 0 HRS a week.
MapleStory for The win!!!11!1

Melash
February 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Wow, this topic stayed active longer than I thought it would! No one here really hacks over 50 hours (that I know of), so I shouldn't even have put those options.

bewbs
April 6th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Not very often.
Sometimes use AR on my roms.

rednano12
April 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
On the weekends? 4~5 hours. On school days? Not a chance.

Nearsighted king of Ice
April 16th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I hack about 3 to 10 hrs.

Innocence
April 21st, 2009, 03:17 AM
Well. Last time I tried to actually start a proper hack was about six months ago, then my computer got wiped and I lost motivation again. I'm planning on getting back into it with a field of hacking that I haven't got into before...Advance generation! xD. Back on topic, I'd have to say that my average for hours hacking is probably something like my PC daily post average. About 0.000001.

Crimson Stardust
April 26th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I mostly 4 to 5 hours except for exam week as i will not be touching my com at all