PDA

View Full Version : World's most liveable city

Route 18
December 14th, 2008, 09:30 PM
What is the world's most liveable city? What city has the best theme parks, the best people, the best attractions, or the best places to live?

I think Melbourne! What about you?

Rabbit
December 14th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Vancouver (the one in Canada) is a pretty nice place to live. There's the ocean right beside you, a ski resort 30 minutes away, clean air, a very moderate climate, modern glass-panelled skyscrapers, and no overcrowding. Plus it's Canada's cultural centre, I think. Toronto is often portrayed as being grey and gloomy. Vancouver is fresh and inviting. If you can stand the rain, it's a great city.

Virtual Chatot
December 15th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Stratford, Montreal, Canada

I went there last year to see Shakespeare plays, and it was delightful!
( They even had a vegetarian restaurant :D )

Cherrim
December 15th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Vancouver (the one in Canada) is a pretty nice place to live. There's the ocean right beside you, a ski resort 30 minutes away, clean air, a very moderate climate, modern glass-panelled skyscrapers, and no overcrowding. Plus it's Canada's cultural centre, I think. Toronto is often portrayed as being grey and gloomy. Vancouver is fresh and inviting. If you can stand the rain, it's a great city.
Oh man, the year I lived in the Vancouver suburbs was amazing. ;_; I miss being 5 minutes away from a really great beach. Too bad we apparently took our extreme climate from Edmonton with us--the one winter we spent in Vancouver was the worst one the city had seen in about 40 years! XD (But we were all set with our snowblower and huge winter parkas, haha.)

As for Toronto, it's not all bad. The winters are awful and it took me a little bit to get used to the crowds but I just adore how you can literally find anything here and it's not too far away. I wouldn't say it's the best city though even if it's the centre of the universe--*shot*. I'd probably agree with you on Vancouver and if not that, put a vote down for Halifax, NS. Out of all the cities I've lived in/visited, those two are probably my favourite. The atmosphere is great in both, but Vancouver probably tips the scale as far as weather goes. :P

Patchisou Yutohru
December 15th, 2008, 05:14 AM
The city I believe is the greatest/most livable, and often visit pages relating to it from time to time, would be Melbourne, Australia. I don't know how to really explain why I like it so much, but the landscaping it has is just a dazzle to the eye and it really makes me just gaze towards the image as if I was there. Rather beautiful if you ask me. It also reminds me of Japan in a way. There seems to be a lot of different types of culture that are exposed to this city that really make it unique to me. I wouldn't mind living there and would love a chance to even visit.

True Reign
December 15th, 2008, 07:47 AM
New York City. Not only is it the headquarters for the UN, but has a giant ferris wheel in Toys 'R Us.

You can't argue with that.

Candy Christina
December 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hm, I'm not sure, I haven't been to many big cities other than the one I currently live in (Miami). I've been to Atlanta and Dallas (where my parents were raised and most of my family lives) before though.

But I would say somewhere like Melbourne or Sydney in Australia. Australia looks like a very interesting country to visit, I would love to go there sometime. I also think it'd be interesting to visit New York City, although I don't think I would ever want to live there. It's most likely loads more crowded than here. D:

houston
December 15th, 2008, 05:27 PM
well, I don't really know...I've been to some big cities....and i must say...Budapest (Hungary) caught my attention...I was there last year, but only for 2 days...I wish i could go there again someday, it looked pretty interesting (except for the language...a nightmare! xD). Cities which i think that are fantastic and i would love to go there.....definitely Montréal, Sydney or Tokyo.

Heartless33
December 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM
When I visit the mountaines (don't know what it called) people there are very nice and the sight there is beatiful I love to go there anytime.

Vernikova
December 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM
-;4196604']New York City. Not only is it the headquarters for the UN, but has a giant ferris wheel in Toys 'R Us.

You can't argue with that.

We also have parades for holidays, Broadway, The Statue of Liberty, and a great mayor in Bloomberg.

So yeah, I agree that it's New York City (Brooklyn, Manhattan, The Bronx, Quuens, and Staten Island).

sims796
December 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM
NewYork effin' City. No argument, no exception. It's just that good.

Caelus
December 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM
There's tons of cities that can be called the most liveable, but New York just seems like an obvious answer, considering that it's divided into five buroughs (I think) and each one looks nice on their own.

Close runner-ups could be Toronto, Vancouver, Sydney, and probably even Tokyo.

Edit: Heh, didn't really think I would post something like this... heh...

Mariah Carey
December 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
The Economist's World's Most Livable Cities 2008 (http://www.economist.com/markets/rankings/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11116839)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Most_Livable_Cities

Thank you, Wikipedia!

So it is decided, Vancouver is the best city in the world.

Zennerick
December 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM
The most livable city is Dante's Peak (1997 Dante's Peak movie reference). :D

Route 18
December 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I thought Melbourne was the most livable city in the world because of the vibrance of the people, the great living standards and general friendliness of the people. Many people think that there are other cities around the world that are the most livable, but I think that Melbourne is one of them. It may not be the most livable, but it's great for me. I guess if I lived in Vancouver or New York City, I would think otherwise, but I think Melbourne is the best city in the world. Until I visit another city better than this one.

I have visited Vancouver, but that was when I was a little baby, just one and a half years old. My uncle lives there, though.

Crystal Clair
December 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm going to be a bit biased as a Staten Islander and say New York City. I've been there loads times. I've been in both towers before they collapsed and in the empire state buildings. I've even been to that one giant toystore (3 times. I advice you to go only one or two times because the third time, the place was just annoying)

And I also got a VIP thing with my best friend at the Museum of Natural History because my mom had a meeting there. That was awesome!

Plus, the diversity is neat too and so is the architecture.

I also like San Francisco (because of the Asian influence) but walking up those hills must be a female dog, Venice (even though it doesn't have an amusement park, it's like being in a giant one!), and uh
Detroit Michigan
(^jk!)

♣Gawain♣
December 16th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I've heard New York is somewhat polluted... except Central Park. I think it's London although I never been there.

BeachBoy
December 16th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Port Orange, Florida. ;D

Hah, seriously though, I'd say New York in the winter time, it's... perfect.

Sexycheese
December 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Im not sure but I like Cork (Ireland)! Anyone who has ever been there will understand :)

Nuke
December 16th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Hul---

For me, Manchester, but only because its home to my favourite football team.

EonDragon, London is awful, really.

Thomas
December 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM
The best city I ever lived in was The Woodlands, TX. It was about 15-20 mintues away from the actual "city" part of Houston, but it was a part of the "Greater Houston Area". It was just one of the nicest/cleanest places and the landscape was exactly what you would think for the name...woody...lol There were trees everywhere. There were about 70k people that lived there when I was there, and it was so close to Houston that there was always something to do. Really great. I lived there for about 4 years.

Trap-Eds
December 16th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Thank you, Wikipedia!

New York is #49?! xD But yeah, I guess that makes sense. I used to live there and really don't see what all the hype is about. Maybe it's the Statue of Liberty.

One place I'd love to visit is Japan. I dunno why, there's just something about
Japan that greatly intrigues me.

Godot17
December 16th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Would you believe me if I said the Gas Prices in my city were under 1.50$/g?

Mcallen is not only beautiful and industrial at the same time, it is also one of the fastest growing cities in Texas, and it also cries beautiful emergency sirens every other second from random places. Sound, gas, and industry, Mcallen is the most beautiful place in Texas.

Oh you hear that? A siren is coming from next door! *shot*.

True Reign
December 16th, 2008, 09:32 PM
We also have parades for holidays, Broadway, The Statue of Liberty, and a great mayor in Bloomberg.

So yeah, I agree that it's New York City (Brooklyn, Manhattan, The Bronx, Quuens, and Staten Island).
I know - New York was were I was born (upstate if you really want to know). I visit there every year for a month.

I've pretty much been to everywhere in the City, but the new Yankee stadium. I'll definitely be going there next year. :)

Waffle-San
December 16th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Thank you, Wikipedia!

H, Canada and Australia cleaned up. Besides high apartment prices I'd say Vancouver is very deserving of its crown. Though Victoria is beautiful as well, and it doesn't rain quite as much there, plus if anyone's thinking about going sailing throught the straight there, do it! The Islands are amazing.
Yay Calgary made the list!

Besides Canada, Coeur d'Alene Idaho's nice as well as Des Moins Iowa. Australia sounds beautiful and I'd love to go to Japan. Italy and Switzerland are probabley nice too. Or even Sweden.

pkmnhippy
December 16th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Melbourne, most other cities have pest problems, NY has Rats, and Sydney has Cockroaches.
But I heard Ireland is quite nice.

Dukey
December 17th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I love Sydney, but I love the little towns in England a lot more.
They are always really peaceful and cold (I like cold).
And the streets aren't full of cars driving around everywhere, so they are free for running around in and playing games like Dodgeball, but you can play it through out the whole neighborhood as everybody knows their way around. I also love the way people don't get judged to harshly, I mean I've seen people that play games such as Warhammer, which is basically a death wish here in Australia, all the time.

So yeah, I love the little towns in England, they are really nice.

Virtual Chatot
December 17th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Stratford, Montreal, Canada :D

That place was devilishly clean and it had stuff to do EVERYWHERE.

I luff Canada ;3

Cruelty And The Beast
December 18th, 2008, 09:55 AM
London. =]
I'm a Londoner, through and through and I can honestly say I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. London has absolutely everything and is steeped in history and a spirit and atmosphere which can't be found anywhere else.

Pechachu
December 18th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Chernobyl.
No, really, I'd kill to live there, radiation aside. It's quiet, no disrespectful neighbours, and you can practically feel the history seeping through your bones and killing the cells in your body. : D

Eternal Nightmare
December 19th, 2008, 07:34 AM
The city I live in, Columbus, GA, was voted to be one of the best place to raise a child, dont come here there is not that much crime, but there is nothing down here to do. Well, I say Tokyo, the police there are really strict on crime and plus Tokyo, along wih Kyoto, are awesome, no.

Jak
December 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I'm going to state the obvious and say Chicago. Those who know me are probably rolling their eyes because they know my main reason, but even still, I have got to get out of redneck capital of America. Living in southern USA is nice, yes, but there comes a time in some girls' lives where they say "It's time for this southern gal to get on out of here and find her a northern boy" in which, I do have a nothern boy.

Who will get freaked out if he ever sees this post.

Guillermo
December 19th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Probably Melbourne or Queensland, Australia. I love Queensland for its Theme Parks like Wet n' Wild, Movie World, White Water World, Dreamworld and Sea Word. But I love Melbourne for it's natural attractions, how awesome it looks at night and the great prices of food and stuff up there.

Tokin
December 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I'd say Kyoto, Japan, Japan being one of the safest countries in the world, and Kyoto not being as big and crowded as Tokyo, it seems like a very liveable place, that's just me and what I've seen however^^

spike6958
December 19th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I've not long moved to london (in the summer) and i love it here, everything about it is so awesome, but of couse that could just be because i moved here to do what i have allways wanted to do, training to be an actor, and im loving every second of it.