View Full Version : Do you use online terms IRL

December 16th, 2008, 7:13 AM
You know, brb, lol, etc.

I shocked myself yesterday by saying lolwut out loud. It just slipped out of my mouth. Luckily my friends heard it as "Uh what?" so my dignity was saved.

December 16th, 2008, 7:32 AM
You know, brb, lol, etc.

I shocked myself yesterday by saying lolwut out loud. It just slipped out of my mouth. Luckily my friends heard it as "Uh what?" so my dignity was saved.
Lol, no never, I remember my cousin said that out loud when I was visiting him, and his sister (same ages as I) went ballistic that her brother was such a nerd *No offense*.

December 16th, 2008, 8:31 AM
My brother and I noobspeak at each other all the time IRL. It bugs our parents so much. Aside from that, I don't think so. I know I've slipped out a "lol" or a "rofl" (rhymes with waffle!) before, but aside from that I can't think of anything.

I was REALLY weirded out to be reading a Christmas letter we got from neighbours we had 10 years ago and there were about 6 instances of "lol" in it. I only vaguely remember these neighbours but the woman never struck me as the type to write a letter so informally. o_O

December 16th, 2008, 9:16 AM
I don't I've ever said any online lingo verbally. I have, a few times, written out such things though. Like....on paper with pen. I guess that counts? Since there isn't a computer involved.

December 16th, 2008, 9:25 AM
I tend to do it with a couple of friends I have at college, they absolutely thrive on online terminology, mainly just "lol" "wtf" "omg" "rofl". It's nothing I'd usually do on my own, but with them it's actually kinda fun.

December 16th, 2008, 9:37 AM
Haha, very rarely will online lingo slip out offline for me. Sometimes I say lol and it's pretty lame. XD

December 16th, 2008, 9:40 AM
Only when taking the mick out of people who do. A favourite is saying "oh emm gee" to someone with faked enthusiasm when they tell me about something I'm not particularly interested in, and then completely ignore them.

December 16th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Almost everybody I know says lol and rofl (and sometimes others) on a daily basis. It's nothing to be ashamed of if you do say it; the internet has such an influence on modern society that they're becoming actual words in their own right.

December 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I've been known to let a few "rofls" or "lololols" slip out. Idk, I guess I've spent so much time on the internet that it just happens naturally =P

December 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
One of my friends would say "Haha lol XD" when he finds something funny, and then we all look at him as if he were crazy XD

Apart from that, never.

Netto Azure
December 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Well not really...But emoticons have somehow seeped into my writing. =P

Tangerine Fox
December 16th, 2008, 12:00 PM
On occasion, I've said "oh-em-gee" and "el-oh-el" in real life, but always in jest with friends who know what it means. It would be weird otherwise, and I think it's a little funny because I probably joke with them more often in reality than I do online. And I never use the words seriously or in average conversation, because it's not really my thing. |D

December 16th, 2008, 3:32 PM
'Lol' & 'lolwut'.

I say it as lol, not el-oh-el.

December 16th, 2008, 3:34 PM
There have been a few times where I have been sooooo close to saying 'lol' but thats about it...

Oh...hang on well I used Powned, Pwned and owned....so yeah. Oo;;;;

December 16th, 2008, 3:41 PM
Nope never, I never had lol, wtf, omg, rofl, ext. slip out in the real world.

December 16th, 2008, 4:04 PM
Slip Out?
I say lol alot, but I just say lol no L-O-L separately.
I say lolwut? sometimes.
I say Pwned alot.
And Hax.

December 16th, 2008, 4:16 PM
Lately my little sister has been spelling out l-o-l and o-m-g a lot and it's getting annoying. Spelling out "lol" makes absolutely no sense because while you're spelling it, you're obviously not laughing out loud.

December 16th, 2008, 5:08 PM
I've said Oh Em Gee in the past, but never El Oh El, I have however pronounced out Lawl. Also when I am talking about a website like "Have you see LolCats lately?" Or something like that.

December 16th, 2008, 7:27 PM
I've never "slipped" the words.
If I ever do say them in real life, I do it on purpose.
One I used to use commonly actually: Pwned.
Otherwise, I've said "wtf" or "omg" just for laughs.

December 16th, 2008, 7:33 PM
My friend used to say el oh el and oh em gee, which I find odd because as far as I know she doesn't chat online. But as for me, not really. However I have written a few things like xP o.O =) =/ >=) =P offline.

December 17th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I avoid using online terms when I actually am online so there's no way I'd use them in real life. It drives me crazy when I hear people using online terms in real life. My roommates friend used to say 'lol' instead of laughing when something was funny and I just wanted to hit him.

Virtual Chatot
December 17th, 2008, 5:39 AM
I say "pwn" and all the variants of that all the time XD

December 17th, 2008, 1:25 PM
Nope. Although my classmates say "lol", "omfg", "btw" and "wtf" like, everyday. Mostly the girls. Heck, they even say "xD". :|

December 17th, 2008, 1:34 PM
One time, one of our blenders at work (I work in a B&N Cafe/Starbucks) was broken, so I taped a big note on it that said "BRB." :3

Other than that, not really, not unless I'm doing it intentionally and just playing around.

December 17th, 2008, 2:50 PM
I think about saying it in my head, like, "lolwhut" or "looool" but I never say it outloud. XD

December 17th, 2008, 6:21 PM
yeah, I say "lol" lot's of times, specially when something stupid/funny happens.

December 18th, 2008, 3:41 AM
I say lol if I smile or just amused. My friends are not ignorant and I guess it's fine for people in my place if I use online terms.

December 18th, 2008, 7:10 AM
Only one, and usually aimed at stupid road users;

Drives my family nuts, but there. Always makes my friends smile, when I lean out of my car window and shout, 'EPIC FAIL'!

December 18th, 2008, 7:35 AM
I usually only use online terms around other people who are addicted to the internet, otherwise I'm just talking gibberish. Though I do use things like "you're doing it wrong" and "no u" a lot. Never said lol- And proud of it.

I should go into a crowded place and spout memes. It would either make people angry, or utterly confused. |3

December 20th, 2008, 5:22 AM
I think about saying it in my head, like, "lolwhut" or "looool" but I never say it outloud. XD

Yeah, same here. It's quite strange actually. If I'm thinking over a conversation I've had earlier in the day (yes, I do this sometimes D:) then I might be like 'LOL' (in my head of course) if I think of something funny.

I then start to hope that I don't actually talk like this without knowing.

... if that post made any sense. o_o'

December 20th, 2008, 1:36 PM
I've said "lol" a few times (purposely XD) and "pwn" but I don't use it on a regular basis, just to be funny, really.

December 20th, 2008, 2:50 PM
As of late, things like "lol", "rofl", and even "lmao" slip out every so often. Luckily, a lot of other kids take it as a joke and join in, so everything's fine :D

December 20th, 2008, 5:00 PM
I remember when someone tagged a house and wrote "LOL" in big letters and I said "lol, look at that!" And everyone was like... o_0;

Ninja Caterpie
December 20th, 2008, 6:59 PM
I sometimes say lol or lolwut when I'm, y'know, lolwutting. Oh, i used to say rofl and sometimes say "ex-dee". And my friend's always going, "loololoooololloloooloololoooololololoooolloollolol" and another one says "Rofalmaaaaaoooo". So, it's not awfully weird for me to say that. Or maybe it's just I pick weird friends. This other guy always squeezes his face muscles and says "ex deeeee" or "lol!". And we all say "FAIL!" or "EPIC FAIL" a lot. And we like to use memes. :P

December 20th, 2008, 9:36 PM
The only online terms I use in real life are PWN and WUT?
Aside from that, no I don't really use online terms IRL.

¡No Hablo Inglés!
December 21st, 2008, 9:44 AM
I rarely even use most internet terms when I'm talking online, so I don't exactly go blurting them out at any given time.

On the rare occasion I do say something like "Oh-Em-Gee" or "Lol" it's when I'm messing around with my friends, or making fun of someone who uses internet slang in their everyday speech. =P

December 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
I try not to use internet lingo in IRL. but sometimes, when the situation is appropriate, i go with EPIC FAIL. n.n

Volkner's Apprentice
December 21st, 2008, 6:23 PM
As of late, things like "lol", "rofl", and even "lmao" slip out every so often. Luckily, a lot of other kids take it as a joke and join in, so everything's fine :D

Haha, I don't have any idea how you'd go about pronouncing 'lmao'. "La-May-Oh?" It sounds so odd. XD

But yeah, rofl and lol are common between my friends (or at least occasionally I'll say rofl as a joke-laugh, but lol has quickly become a "haha" replacement, and if something is friendly-degrading or a mega-BURN it's "lolololol".) <---that can be annoying in not-so-funny situations.

Otherwise, gtfo once in a while, but other than that I try not to use online terms. And the lol's from me specifically are few and far between, because when I say it it sounds eh. >.>

The Exorcist
December 21st, 2008, 8:48 PM
Unfortunatly for me yes, I say 'lol' too much and use 'brb', my friends think I'm REALLY annoying for that, heheh.

December 21st, 2008, 9:12 PM
Haha, I don't have any idea how you'd go about pronouncing 'lmao'. "La-May-Oh?" It sounds so odd. XD

I don't know about you, but most of the time I don't pronounce 'lmao.' I just say L-M-A-O while I pronounce lol like... lol. I pronounce some words, but say others letter by letter. Take rofl for example... I'll pronounce it 'Rof-el.'

December 21st, 2008, 10:31 PM
I use "B.R.B." all the time in real life. I find it amusing.

December 22nd, 2008, 8:06 AM
While playing bingo with my cousins yesterday, I said 'lawl' numerous times. And I even said 'kthxbai' at one point. So yeah, I use them, and I'm proud of it. :D

Netto Azure
December 22nd, 2008, 4:48 PM
Oh noez...I caught myself saying "ZOMG" and "LOL" in public! XD
The Internet ish bad for you. D=

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
December 22nd, 2008, 5:14 PM
I say pwn and fail a lot. to my friends, fail has now become a widely accepted noun. Mostly used in the form of:

December 22nd, 2008, 6:53 PM
Yup. I'm in a big phase of trying to delete my habit of saying "btw" XD

December 23rd, 2008, 2:06 AM
I say "lolwut", "brb", "srsly", "zomg", "wtf" and other stuff like that.

...what are you talking about it's totally normal to say "xD" out loud I do that all the time

December 23rd, 2008, 2:16 AM
I do from time to time, though not on a usual basis.
Some of the online terms that I use and pronounce in letters (el-oh-el) are lol (though sometimes as lawl), wtf, wth, ftw, brb and omg.

December 23rd, 2008, 3:14 AM
I say lol so often that it creeps me out. *shivers*

December 23rd, 2008, 4:07 AM
I dont think so.. If I do its not on purpose lol

but I prolly do XD

kissing. raindrops
December 23rd, 2008, 9:06 PM
I always say lawl out loud :]

December 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
In some cases I have, but merely as a joke. I hardly even use internet slang on the internet.
As for the times I have, it would be because I was multitasking and wanted to get the post/IM done fast.
Personally, I think society is screwed up.