PDA

View Full Version : Mario kart ds sux.

Mitchman
December 17th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Omg wats?! Yes you read right. ITs either shelling me over gaps making me go to fast on mushrooms or leaving me in 8th place and blue shelling me when i never touched 1st. Sometimes though its perfect. Anyone else have the same problem?

Virtual Chatot
December 17th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Ah no, never had this problem

Nuke
December 17th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I prefer the home console version because I can see what is happening.

DK looks like he has shards of brown glass for arms on DS.

Cherrim
December 17th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I prefer the home console version because I can see what is happening.

DK looks like he has shards of brown glass for arms on DS.
And I prefer the handheld/old versions because no one looks like they were dipped in full-body donut glaze and put under a bright lamp. :| (Yes, I absolutely despise the graphics of DD and, presumably, MK Wii if they didn't fix it.)

Um, anyway I don't have a problem with the DS version. I'm not even sure what you're getting at. Those glitches or problems don't happen to me so I've no real reason to dislike it. :[

Nuke
December 17th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I dont know what you mean about DD but..

Wii screen
http://wiimedia.gamespy.com/wii/image/article/852/852986/mario-kart-wii-20080218071842228.jpg

Cherrim
December 17th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Kay yeah it's improved a bit but they still look unnaturally shiny. :( Regardless, this thread is for MKDS which luckily doesn't have that problem so we'll have to leave it at this unless you wanna discuss it in the MKWii thread.

Mitchman
December 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I also hate the shiny gloss in the tv ones. Anyway my point is for me my version of mkds id glitchy or hax in some areas to a point of unplayability. And it really makes me feel like the game sux. But then again it might be because the version i have came with a limited edition ds and those versions are the only ones that are glitchy.

Cherrim
December 17th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Well, maybe sell it and get a different copy? Better yet, complain incessantly to Nintendo and see if they'll replace it.

Mitchman
December 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Yeah right lightning. NOE told me that i can keep dreaming as its a us bought game not a europe bought game. I said what does that matter and they are like to me it went to there profits. WTF sooner or later all profits go to Japan so how does that make a dfiference i thought to my self. And nah i can sell it it has sentimental values. My first ds game(as i bought it bundled with the ds)

Cherrim
December 17th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Well, guess you're out of luck then.

Most companies are like that--they only deal with products from their own region because sometimes the hardware/software is different enough that they can't do anything, plus with foreign exchange rates, refunds, exchanges, etc. it can be a real hassle to work internationally.

Mitchman
December 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM
And you know lightning through all this bickering i did i realised something.
Im perfectly happy with the way it is cause its mario kart. XD i know stupid but alas it taught me something.

processr
December 17th, 2008, 09:52 AM
DS hax < Wii hax.

I never have problems with rubber band AI in DS, but on the Wii it's absolutely murderous in the Mirror Cups.

Kraka-chan
December 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM
"How dare you bash Mario Kart? I'll have your head!" Okay, I'm just joking...

On a serious note though, I do agree that there are a few hiccups in both Mario Kart DS and Wii, (like the one instance with the blue shell hitting me dead on, even when I was just in second place) but not to condemn it. Another problem is that in the 50cc Cups, the karts go... too... slowlly... The AI can be absolutely evil in the later stages.

It's probably just because I'm rubbish, but I thought I'd share it.

processr
December 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
It's probably just because I'm rubbish, but I thought I'd share it.

I've seen professional reviewers complain about the rubber band AI in MKWii, so rest assured that it isn't down to your level of skill. xD

EDIT: Boom goes the review. (http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/868/868012p2.html)

Mitchman
December 18th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Also one thing that really hax is the missions. Dear god i hate em so much.

Eon-Rider
December 18th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I thought this was a complaint thread on MKDS? o.o

I find MKDS alright compared to the old versions of Mario Kart. In the older versions the AI would keep up no matter how hard you try to slow them down. If you're so sick of getting hit by Spiny Shells, learn how to dodge them. I used to hate them but now I laugh at my friends when their miserable attempts at slowing me down fails.

TRIFORCE89
December 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
What's the blue shell issue? I haven't played the Wii version yet, but on the DS...it aims for the person in first place. If you're tailing him, you're going to get hit to. And if you're within the radius of the blueness that surround the explosion you get hit too. Where's the glitch?

See a blue shell coming? Keep away.

Cherrim
December 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I thought it was meant to hit the person in first place? What's the point of hitting the person in second? o_O

TRIFORCE89
December 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM
It hits the person in first, but it causes an explosion. Guy in first will always be hit, if you're right on his butt, you'll get hit by the explosion. If you're in last and you fire that shell, I think you want as many people as possible to be hit. XD

Cherrim
December 18th, 2008, 11:30 AM
......whaaat.
What's the blue shell issue? I haven't played the Wii version yet, but on the DS...it aims for the person in second place. If you're tailing him, you're going to get hit to. And if you're within the radius of the blueness that surround the explosion you get hit too. Where's the glitch?

See a blue shell coming? Keep away.
It hits the person in first, but it causes an explosion. Guy in first will always be hit, if you're right on his butt, you'll get hit by the explosion. If you're in last and you fire that shell, I think you want as many people as possible to be hit. XD
Stop changing your story. :(

TRIFORCE89
December 18th, 2008, 11:33 AM
......whaaat.

Stop changing your story. :(
Woah. XD That's...... odd. I meant first for both of them O_o *fixes*

WTF?

Mitchman
December 18th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I was clearly in last place to third through the race and i needed to be second and i almost got it passing the the 4th dude almost getting 2nd when boom a blue shell hits me. That sir is the issue.

Rhino321
December 18th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Yes.Mario Kart DS sucks.

Mitchman
December 18th, 2008, 02:29 PM
NOT ENTIRELY. Just the way it sometimes beats you unfairly.

processr
December 18th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, welcome to the world of rubber band AI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_artificial_intelligence#Cheating_AI). I didn't find it all that bad in MKDS, myself - I thought the balance was a little too far tipped in favour of the player, actually. =/ MKWii took it way too far the other way, wherein 150cc and Mirror were murderous.

SkyPioneer
December 18th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Yes.Mario Kart DS sucks.
You suck.
And the game never beats you unfairly. That's the whole flair of the Mario Kart series.
One item can bring you from 8th to 1st.

Mitchman
December 19th, 2008, 05:16 AM
If it doesnt then how do i get red shelled when in back of the thrower and a bit to the left on a straight and then blue shelled while maintain a steady pace of 8th to 3rd?

Eon-Rider
December 19th, 2008, 05:46 AM
I was clearly in last place to third through the race and i needed to be second and i almost got it passing the the 4th dude almost getting 2nd when boom a blue shell hits me. That sir is the issue.

If it doesnt then how do i get red shelled when in back of the thrower and a bit to the left on a straight and then blue shelled while maintain a steady pace of 8th to 3rd?

Am I seriously the only one having trouble understanding either of these posts? ==;

Ikwaylx
December 19th, 2008, 06:50 AM
The weapons in the game are unfair. There is no recovery period when you get hit by a weapon, meaning you can be hit by a blue shell, and then a red shell, and then a green shell and then smashed over the edge by the guy in last place.
This makes the game not about skill, its about how lucky you are when it comes to people using weapons.

Pikachu?!
December 19th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I like the GBA version of Mario Kart the best. But I don't think Mario Kart DS "sucks"
I've never had the problem you had.

Jeremy
December 19th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Well sweetie, Mario Kart DS doesn't suck. I haven't had the problem of the AI pwning me in the DS...but as for Mario Kart Wii...that's a different story.

Also if you're complaining about blue shells, deal with it. Learn to dodge them. From my years of playing every Mario Kart (yes I own all them all.), I can tell you the AI seems to be the most fair and slightly challenging out of all of them.

On a random note, my favorite MK games are Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64...mostly for the nostalgia. And Mario Kart Double Dash. XD

Mitchman
December 19th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I laready know how to dodge em using bombs. I really cant see how unclear i am so i am requesting a thread colsure as my point really cant be understood.

SkyPioneer
December 19th, 2008, 11:37 PM
What the hell are you trying to say? Let me help. If a word you typed does not show an entry on this site, (http://www.dictionary.reference.com/) then it does not exist.
Furthermore, put those words in order.

The weapons in the game are unfair. There is no recovery period when you get hit by a weapon, meaning you can be hit by a blue shell, and then a red shell, and then a green shell and then smashed over the edge by the guy in last place.
This makes the game not about skill, its about how lucky you are when it comes to people using weapons.
True, that could happen. But it never does. And who knows about the countless amount of times you've done that to unsuspecting AI without them knowing it?
Put that childish ranting away. There is no such thing as luck. The further back you are, the better your items. Hell, if you get the timing right you can get your hands on a gold shroom whilst in first place.

I laready know how to dodge em using bombs. I really cant see how unclear i am so i am requesting a thread colsure as my point really cant be understood.
If you "already" know how to avoid them, why, oh WHY do you whine?
And if you cannot see how unclear you are, have someone who can rea attempt to decipher your previous posts.

That's all I have to say.

By the way, I can't wait for you guys to negative rep me with "Calm Down!".

moments.
December 19th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Actually I thought Mario Kart DS was quite amazing although I am bored of it now, I never experienced any problems at all. These problems you speak of have never touched my ears before, EVER!

Mitchman
December 20th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Whatever you think im unclear try other complaint threads. I think im being as clear as i can be. Anyway yeah noxious you havent cause im lucky enough with these problems. Im complaining cause its the way the game gives me a blue shell. Never ever have i touched first place and it gives me the shell.

Eon-Rider
December 20th, 2008, 03:56 AM

That's not the efficient way to dodge them anyway. The best way to dodge them is by doing a mini-turbo right before it strikes you and doing a hop right as it comes down on you. YouTube it if you want an example of what dodging a Spiny Shell is really like.