PDA

View Full Version : Where do you work?

jasonresno
December 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Hey guys, I haven't seen this discussion about and I thought it'd be pretty interesting.

Where do you work? Do you like your job? How long have you done it? Pay well?

For those of you that aren't old enough to work and/or don't have a job: How do you like it? What do you do for money?

The reason I ask is because I just got hired to an almost dream job. I work 12 days a month and make more in a year than most people working every day of the week.

I'm an associate orderfiller at a Wal Mart Distribution Center. I work Saturday, Sunday, and Monday and the pay is phenomenal. The benefits are great. The job has opened a lot of doors for me in my life. After taking this job I was able to apply for a loan and may be moving into my own house soon. I have tons of free time (the entire week!) and the job keeps me in shape. It's hard work and each shift is 11 hours long but the benefits are great.

What about you guys? You don't have to answer question by question...just sort of tell us all your situation!

BakingBluePotatoe
December 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
woah o.o

seriously?

Apparently I'm "not mature enough" for a job (apparently, most humans that are 12-14 are at least) so... yeah x3

I just get tons of coins from around the house and save them x3

Thrace
December 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I used to work at the Deli at the local Supermarket. -__-;;
As a Deli Service Assistant. -__-;;

I don't recommend it. I got payed $12 an hour which I thought was pretty good pay at the time (a year ago minimum wage was $9).

One day I called in sick and the Deli manager told me that I had to come into work anyway because they couldn't get anyone else to work my shift (apparently handling meats and salads when you're sick is perfectly ok in that Supermarket). Anyway I got to work, 10 minutes in and I'm feeling horrible. The store manager comes up to me and interrogates me on my illness. She thinks I'm lying and tells me not to make up "flimsy" excuses to get out of work. I still regret not whacking her with the large roll of meat that was in my hands at the time. ;_;

jasonresno
December 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM
woah o.o

seriously?

Apparently I'm "not mature enough" for a job (apparently, most humans that are 12-14 are at least) so... yeah x3

I just get tons of coins from around the house and save them x3
Heh, enjoy it trust me. Before I worked at the DC I grilled out 5 or 6 days a week at a grocery store for 6.25 an hour. And then I moved to a desk job 6 days a week for 8 an hour. No free time. No extra sleep. Sucked.

Thrace, where do you live? 9 an hour as minimum wage seems pretty sweet to me. When I started working it was a little over 6 around here. Where I live you're lucky to make more than 8.50 an hour.

But I got lucky so I'm OK with that.

Your story is sort of funny. My girlfriends brother has almost the exact same story. Worked in a deli, got super sick, and left home early. Had to come back to town to pick up medicine, one of the managers saw him and thought he was "faking", and he got grilled for it.

BakingBluePotatoe
December 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Heh, enjoy it trust me. Before I worked at the DC I grilled out 5 or 6 days a week at a grocery store for 6.25 an hour. And then I moved to a desk job 6 days a week for 8 an hour. No free time. No extra sleep. Sucked.

Thrace, where do you live? 9 an hour as minimum wage seems pretty sweet to me. When I started working it was a little over 6 around here. Where I live you're lucky to make more than 8.50 an hour.

Your story is sort of funny. My girlfriends brother has almost the exact same story. Worked in a deli, got super sick, and left home early. Had to come back to town to pick up medicine, one of the managers saw him and thought he was "faking", and he got grilled for it.Meh, I'll just play the stock market. And once I get enough money, run my own Cafe =3

Spinor
December 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I work here...

No I'm serious, I get paid 1,000 dollars for every month I chat here instead of playing my Saxophone at home...

Thomas
December 17th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I work at a Sherwin-Williams Retail Paint Store...It is ok, but not the best job in the world.

HeidiMoose
December 17th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I work at as a waitress at a truck stop. I hate it. >.<
I love the nice customers and the regulars.. there's people who stay there for hours every single night. They're great people and they're easy to talk to because they're there every day.

But besides that, I hate crabby and picky customers who decide that the waitress is the best person to take their anger out onto.
And the managers and all the other employees (with maybe 3 exceptions including 2 cooks and one other waitress) treat me like I'm worthless and stupid.
I hate it. It's annoying and degrading because I do the best that I can and I bust my butt for that place.. I do more work than over half of the waitresses I work with, and I actually check on my customers to make sure they're doing okay, instead of sneak to the back to text someone, or walk around and just BS with everyone else while there's a customer in the corner giving nasty looks because they're not getting the service they want.
I actually do my job, and try to be a good waitress.
But I distance myself from the other employees.. so that's probably why they treat me so misreably.. because I don't try to be their best friends because I don't party with them and I don't smoke.
And apparently it's okay for everyone else to go on a smoke break every five minutes, but I can't sit down and talk to a regular customer who's sitting in my own section (so I can still check on my customers and watch for new customers) for even a second or I get yelled at.
So.. I don't get a break but they can go out and smoke every five minutes for 15 minutes and it's perfectly okay.

Wow.. enough rambling..

I'm currently looking for a new job.. I hate mine so much.

Dukey
December 17th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I work at my desk on Photoshop =P

I wish. I don't actually have a job, but it's what I do.

Aurafire
December 17th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I don't work anywhere now, but I used to work at a dry cleaners. It sucked. Majorly. X(

I do plan on getting a job somewhere this summer though. Hopefully one that doesn't suck too much =P

Thrace
December 18th, 2008, 12:34 AM

Your story is sort of funny. My girlfriends brother has almost the exact same story. Worked in a deli, got super sick, and left home early. Had to come back to town to pick up medicine, one of the managers saw him and thought he was "faking", and he got grilled for it.
New Zealand. NZD $12 is probably equivalent to $9 in the US now, it would've been about $6-7 then.

Astinus
December 18th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I work in a local grocery store, which was in the news recently. (Not the particular one I work at, but another store by the same name.) I've been working there for three years, and enjoy it.

My job at the store is listed as "service clerk", which means that I'm supposed to do the horrible disgusting jobs the rest of you wouldn't be caught dead doing. I collect carriages in all sorts of weather. I take out huge bags of trash. I'm lifting heavy boxes. But I mostly do returns, which means that I wander around with a cart of items and toss them back onto the shelf where they go. It's a mind-numbing, boring job to do, but I enjoy it.

I'm also trained in other departments, which means that if any department is short, I can quickly step in and cover.

The best part about the whole thing is that since I'm well-trained in every department, I'm valuable at the store. So I pretty much slack off for most of my shift, and I wander around and talk to everyone. All the managers at the store like me, so I'm safe from being fired.

What this all means is that I'm getting paid nearly nine dollars an hour to wander around and do nothing. :D Best job ever.

ErickaVolt
December 18th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I have no job, I have no life. I am still a student and someday I will have one if this economic crisis will stop.

Cherrim
December 18th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I'm just finishing up my job. ;_;' I'm heading back to school in January and my parents don't like me working while I'm in school (and I don't particularly want to either XD) so tomorrow is actually my last day.

I'm gonna miss this job so hard. I'm doing office admin stuff in the accounting department of a microbrewery. Whenever we deliver beer to the various pubs, restaurants, stores, etc. I'm the one who looks over the invoices that come back, make sure there aren't overdue payments, give credits for returns, deal with payments, etc. So it's pretty much a desk job and I get $14/hour. The work is kinda tedious/boring and doesn't take too long. But the best part is I work faster than our accounting system does so a lot of the time I'm sitting there for minutes waiting for the program to continue and... during those downtimes (like now!) I usually just browse PC. Some days I have noooothing to do and I just sit there doing data entry for the QC department and browsing the net. It's pretty sweet.

It's also a really casual place. XD I wear jeans and a jacket everyday and no one cares which is a niiice upgrade from my previous workplace back in Jan-Apr. ALSO I get free beer. That would be awesome if I liked beer, which I don't, but it's still pretty cool.

@jasonreso: Here in Ontario, Canada the minimum wage is $8.75/h. It's going up to $9.50 next March and by April 2010, it'll be $10.25. :D

True Reign
December 18th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I can't work until my birthday this March. I'll probably start working on the weekends and when the summer comes, I would hopefully work with my friend.

Game Stop next to a Taco Bell, Burger King, and a Panda Express is win win in my opinion. :)

Nuke
December 18th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I could only work a paper round now but its not worth it so no job.

But it is my dream to work at McDonalds.

Virtual Chatot
December 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I work at a print shop in my town :D
I live in a college town, so there's always some student trying to print off something. Since me and the guy who owns the place are the only employees, I'm listed under Assistant Manager, which is going to look great under my resume XD

There are some long periods where there isn't anyone coming in, so I can just kill time and get on the computer :B

Horizon
December 18th, 2008, 02:11 PM

I'd advise against it. My brother works in McDonalds and he's always tired, and gets less pay than me.

I'm currently working as a temp in an Argos store. if you're from Britain, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's not a permanent thing at the moment, but if I impress then they'll keep me on.

Stronkadonk
December 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
No actual job yet, but people around the area ask me to help them with things, like yardwork, and I get paid.
And I'm gonna get a job next year or the year after, but for now it's shoveling snow and mowing lawns.

jasonresno
December 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM

You're joking right?

Well, McDonalds will give you hours and minimum wage along with free food...so it isn't a terrible gig.

Volkner's Apprentice
December 18th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I work at Target, it's fun. XD

And very red, which I look good in. Booyah.

Thomas
December 18th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I work at Target, it's fun. XD

And very red, which I look good in. Booyah.I used to work at target for almost 2 years. It is a great job while you are in school and they pay really well for people who have never had jobs before. I kinda wish I could work there again.

Harley Quinn
December 18th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I cook the fries, churn out the icecream (or whatever it is) and work the cashier.

I get $11 per hour.

Master Electrician
December 18th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I've been working at Panera Bread on and off for the past three years or so. One year between high school and college, then whenever I have a substantial break from school. I'm starting back up there on Saturday. It's a decent job, I get along with all of my managers and co-workers, we're actually pretty tightly knit. I don't mind the work, which is more than I can say for some of my other jobs and it keeps money in my bank account.

Yu_&_Rei
December 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I work at my dad's resturaunt, its a family run business. I'm a waiter.

Guillermo
December 18th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I don't work. I'll apply for a job at Wiggly Worms or something soon enough. Now? I just work around the house and get pocket money. Most of the time my dad buys me what I want. I want to be a Basketball Referee though. Then... a bit later I want to get into the NBA or become a worker in trade. You get a lot of money working in trade.

Heartless33
December 18th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I am trying to get a job in gamecrazy or gamestop but I don't know if I got it yet.