-Hex Editor
-Advance Palette Editor (APE)

Needed unLZ-GBA numbers:
-2011 = the Charizard tilemap
-668-1498 = random pokemon sprites
-2013 = "Gamefreak inc." logo
-2009 = "Pokemon Firered Version" tilemap

Hacking the Title Screen
Open your rom and go to 2011. Select “Use Black/White”, and use the “+/-“ buttons until the picture looks like the one displayed.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/First.png

Click “Save As”, and save it as a .png file. Click save as a second time, and save the same picture with a different name. Open the file in paint. Extend the workspace to allow yourself more workroom. Arrange the image as so. Save the finished image twice as well.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Two.png

Next, select the black colour from the image, and clear it, so you’re left with only a black image in the same arrangement.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Three.png

Now. Go back into unLZ-GBA, and find a pokemon you want to replace the Charizard with. I’m going to use Caterpie, because I’m lame. Make sure it is in Black and White before clicking save as. Open it in paint, and copy/paste it into clear space. Try to make it touch the back of the clear space.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Four.png

We need to re-arrange the image back to it’s original form. Open the second, unedited Charizard picture you saved in step two, as well as the other second edited Charizard picture. Use both of these images as a reference, and move the blocks back into shape.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Five.png

Yes, really. It’s supposed to look like this. Open up unLZ-GBA yet again, and go back to 2011. Click “Import”, and select the image you just saved. Click “Write to Rom”, and OK. Very good! It has been indexed into the game. Open up your emulator and check it out! Don’t get your hopes up however, we still need to palette edit!
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Six.png

Palette Editing the Title Screen
So you may notice the Caterpie looks a bit ridiculous. You'd have to be mental not to. The Caterpie is still in the Charizard's palette. Open up Advance Palette Editor and your Hex Editor (I'd recommend Hex Workshop). I think it's much easier to hex edit palettes then to use APE, but you may find differently. Open your rom in the emulator and maneuver to the title screen. Click Tools and Palette Viewer.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/One.png

Now all you have to do is find the palette. I've circled it for you because I'm bored. Now we need to write down all ten of the the colours in hexadecimal. However, before we write them down, we need to separate and switch them. It sounds more difficult then it actually is. For example, the darkest colour in hex is 0x0004. We remove the "0x", and separate it into two groups of two numbers. 0004 would become 00 04. Then all you do is switch the two sets. 00 04 would now be 0400. It's that simple. If you do that for every colour in the palette, you will get 1F7C 1F7C 1F7C 0400 0600 0800 0B00 8F00 9300 D600 1901 7B01 FC01. Now put it all together and search for 1F7C1F7C1F7C0400060008000B008F009300D60019017B01FC01 in your hex editer.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Two-1.png

Open up APE. This obviously is used to edit the palettes, but I much prefer hex editing, as it is MUCH easier. Go to Tools, and Colour Picker. Now, before I hear any remarks about how unprofessional this tutorial is about to become, I'll tell you that this part is rather unprofessional. Open up paint. Open a picture of your sprite in colour. Now, use this as a reference. Right now, I can see on the titlescreen that Caterpie's ... antler(?) is the darkest colour in Carizard's palette (0x0004), therefore, when we look at the sprite of Caterpie, we see that it is a medium tone of red. A lot of this is guessing and checking. We find that tone of red in APE's colour picker, copy down the four digit hex value, and replace the value in the Hex Editor.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Three-1.png

Good, good. Now do that with every value (if needed) until your sprite is in its' original palette.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Four-1.png

Now. The rest of the screen can be palette edited as well. Just follow the same basic steps. Open up VBA, and go to Palette Viewer. Find the colour of the object you wish to change (for example, the red bar at the top), search for the string of values, find a colour you want it to be, and replace. Here's the screen after I palette edited.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Five-1.png

Yeah, I know this is hard to understand, but it's even harder to explain. If you have any specific questions, just PM me.

Coming Soon!
-Editing “Pokemon Firered Version” text
-Editing "2004 Gamefreak inc" Text
-Editing the fire

HopeHavoc
December 20th, 2008, 09:55 PM
lol I love how you chose caterpie.

Darthatron
December 20th, 2008, 11:54 PM
This isn't very "extensive". It would be good to include how to edit the tilemaps, and stuff. Then you could call it "extensive". :D

Zeikku™
December 21st, 2008, 08:00 AM
This isn't very "extensive". It would be good to include how to edit the tilemaps, and stuff. Then you could call it "extensive". :D

You don't need to edit the tilemap in this method, because you're arranging the tiles, exactly like the FR image. But I agree with you, I wouldn't call this extensive. Me personally...would just use a tilemap editor, cos I'm lazy :P

Great tutorial though, not many people still use this method because it can be tricky. At least you have the skill to do it though ;)

myfavouriteax
December 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM

Yeah, right now, I'd agree with you, but eventually, I'm going to get around to showing how to edit the fire and text to whatever you want. I was going to just call it "Title Screen Hacking" until I got the entire tutorial up, but I would have been too lazy to get it changed! :)

Tropical Sunlight
December 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
This is a very good tut for graphic beginners, like me.
I'd like to know how to change the fires as soon as possible. Keep it up!

myfavouriteax
December 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Should I add the fire editing section first, before the text changing section?
Also, is this difficult to understand, or did I do a somewhat descent job?

Full Metal
December 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Should I add the fire editing section first, before the text changing section?
Also, is this difficult to understand, or did I do a somewhat descent job? The hex viewer thing (can't remember the name atm) actually isn't all that nescesary. There are only 16 colors on the caterpie (and all other pokemon) most of which are in contrast to eachother. I guess if you like speed though.. go ahead! Or you could just export caterpies pallete and import it through APE :) just a thought (and my personal prefferred choice) also if you don know how to edit the fires please post it! For whatever reason It just won't work idk why it try it and i see a bunch of messed up pixels for whatever reason :/

myfavouriteax
December 23rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I just like hex editing, for it is easier for me, plus you need to know how to do it for the rest of the title screen, such as the fire.

myfavouriteax
April 2nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot about this thread. Thank god for email notifications...

hi do u know a site with a hex editor if u can thanx

Well, if you can get Hex Workshop, that program is amazing. However, it costs money, but you can get a free trial for a bit. The program I use is called HexEdit. It kind of sucks, but it's free. Just google search for whatever.

I may try to write up some quick tutorials to finish this, but I think I've decided to quit hacking, so don't expect any updates in the near future.

Dragonmaster91
April 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Whenever I change the charizard, the palette changes to the pokemon sign. Picture:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm255/dragoncharger/Pokemon-LegendofMewEdition.png
The white part is what I want to stay hidden.

What is wrong?

myfavouriteax
April 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I'm not one to diagnose problems, but I assume you already tried to palette edit this, correct?

Dragonmaster91
April 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I'm not one to diagnose problems, but I assume you already tried to palette edit this, correct?
Not on this rom, no.

Dang word limit...

myfavouriteax
April 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Oh, well that's your problem. Just use this tutorial to palette edit it, or use a better tutorial! I'd strongly suggest the latter.

Dragonmaster91
April 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Oh, well that's your problem. Just use this tutorial to palette edit it, or use a better tutorial! I'd strongly suggest the latter.
Well, I can't. If I do, the big Pokemon logo will get affected because the images exchanged palettes... Am I supposed to export the palette in unLZ?

myfavouriteax
April 5th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Ah, ok. Now I understand. I still can't really help you out though unless I know step by step exactly what you did.

Dragonmaster91
April 5th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Ah, ok. Now I understand. I still can't really help you out though unless I know step by step exactly what you did.
All I did was put Mew's battle picture in the Charizard image, and restructure the tilemap. That was all I did. Somehow, the Mew image stole the pokemon logo's palette...

myfavouriteax
April 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Ah. Well, it's the tilemap part that probably messed it up. You'll have to ask someone else about tilemaps though.

~Teh Panda~
April 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM
All I did was put Mew's battle picture in the Charizard image, and restructure the tilemap. That was all I did. Somehow, the Mew image stole the pokemon logo's palette...

In your tilemap editor it automatically reassigns your tilemap to use pal 1 which in this case is the text pal. You will have to keep switching that pal until you find the charizard pal.

Dragonmaster91
April 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
In your tilemap editor it automatically reassigns your tilemap to use pal 1 which in this case is the text pal. You will have to keep switching that pal until you find the charizard pal.
Ahhh, Thanks. Going to test right now. I will be back.

Edit: Yup, it worked.

kaka1918
April 8th, 2009, 09:29 AM
sorry i'm very very bad in english
how to change the logo of fire red

myfavouriteax
April 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Ok, well the fire is number 138 in unLZ-GBA, and the pokemon logo is number 2009. I'm assuming you're comfortable with editing these things, but if not, just ask.

Just open up paint, edit them with the given palette, then if need be, palette edit.

NTA
April 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
what if i wanted to do a pokemon like rayquaza for the titlescreen using this method?:o

myfavouriteax
April 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Well, assuming you use the sprite of Rayquaza, it should fit, as it's just as small as the other sprites.

NTA
April 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM
thnx i understan alittle omre onw :D

lukofez
April 14th, 2009, 07:15 AM
can you tell me how do it with steelix, I didn't understood how to move those blocks in to shape

myfavouriteax
April 14th, 2009, 11:12 AM
can you tell me how do it with steelix, I didn't understood how to move those blocks in to shape

I can't really explain better than I did...haha. I had trouble with this at first, but just practice. Use the pictures I have was a reference. Or if you can tell me what specifically is giving you trouble, I could possibly help you out better. Either way, I wish you the best of luck.

mineowyn
April 14th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Hi I'm using your method for the trainer intro screen.. I was wondering how did you make the original coloured caterpie B&W (or grayscale)??

steveoday1
April 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
how do you edit the fire that goes on in the background? i went to sprite 138 on unlzgba and i just got a grey square, please help!

ThunderEmblem
April 16th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I need help i can't put a suicune into the black areas what i mean is like put it into a puzzle u have on picture four.

myfavouriteax
April 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hi I'm using your method for the trainer intro screen.. I was wondering how did you make the original coloured caterpie B&W (or grayscale)??

Well, you should just be able to click "black and white mode" in unLZ-GBA.

how do you edit the fire that goes on in the background? i went to sprite 138 on unlzgba and i just got a grey square, please help!

It may not be EXACTLY number 138. That's what it is for me. You may have run deep scan, or perhaps I did. I can't recall. Anyway, you may have to search for it a bit.

I need help i can't put a suicune into the black areas what i mean is like put it into a puzzle u have on picture four.

It should fit, if you're using the sprite from the game. They're all the same size.

notbob
April 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Help! I clicked on Run Deep Scan and all I get is a bunch of messed up pixels on my screen.

emokitty
May 1st, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hey i just wanted to know two things, 1- if there is any way to do this without hex editing... because i dont know how:( 2- Is there a way to just put a picture up on the background iinstead of that complicated thing?

Thanks

Shadow Pichu
June 17th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Where do you get the hex editor PLZ TELL ME I NEED IT

myfavouriteax
June 18th, 2009, 04:06 AM
www.google.com +24 characters

Shadow Pichu
June 19th, 2009, 12:18 PM
you dont need a hex editor for this i did it without a hex editor and had it perfect

Shooryuu
June 19th, 2009, 05:09 PM
umm hi in the tutorial i can't change the palette cause my hex editor isn't very good with it and i have the palette i made to fix it but i can't put it on

giradialkia
June 23rd, 2009, 03:51 AM
Yeah, this is pretty helpful, i think i get it now.
*Tries*
Nope, still not working. Good tutorial, anyways..

Gamer2020
June 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
you dont need a hex editor for this i did it without a hex editor and had it perfect

Good for you!

umm hi in the tutorial i can't change the palette cause my hex editor isn't very good with it and i have the palette i made to fix it but i can't put it on

Try using APE
offset: 0x00EAD5E8

*Tries*
You can do it!
keep trying...

myfavouriteax
June 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM

I did your mom without a hex editor, but it was far from perfect..

I'm sorry, do you think you could reword that? I may be able to help then.

*Tries*

Yeah man, hex editing is a daunting task, but you'll get the hang of it, trust me. Just keep trying. I went through like fifteen roms trying to get my title screen right.

Words of wisdom.

Thanks for filling in when I was too lazy to respond. haha

Shadow Pichu
June 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I did your mom without a hex editor, but it was far from perfect..

Yeah well when i can post pictures ill show you my results How you like that huh?

myfavouriteax
June 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
That'd be cool. I'm always interested to see screens from people's hacks. Thanks! Let me know when it's up.

Conan Edogawa
June 25th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I need some help. I inserted Mew but now the body is all screwed up. This is what I got:
http://www.iaza.com/work/090626C/ujg82055.png See how the colors don't coordinate with the originals? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Tropical Sunlight
June 25th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I need some help. I inserted Mew but now the body is all screwed up. This is what I got:
http://www.iaza.com/work/090626C/ujg82055.png See how the colors don't coordinate with the originals? Any ideas on how to fix this?
First of all, you didn't paste the pic properly. I did it like this: I exported the pic in black&white, then I indexed the new sprite to b&w, then I pasted it. So I have all the colors in b&w.
Then you need to change the palletes with APE.

Conan Edogawa
June 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM
That's how I did it. I'll try again because I must've made a mistake.

gary_productions
June 25th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Il hve do a misstake too. its glitchy now :(

yeah *using back up*

Conan Edogawa
June 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I think the problem is somewhere in here for me:
http://www.iaza.com/work/090628C/jhg78965.png Does that look ok or did I mess up the order of the blocks/pieces/whatever you want to call them?

myfavouriteax
June 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM
That looks fine. Are you sure you exported the Charizard tilemap in black and white as well?

Themadhacker
June 27th, 2009, 12:00 PM
wen i put in pikachu, it comes up with a turquoise splodge on his head, help!

defdef2
June 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM
this helped me with title screens, im uploading my own tut though

sky_queen3
July 5th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Yeah, I know this is hard to understand, but it's even harder to explain. If you have any specific questions, just PM me.

Coming Soon!
-Editing the fire

I'm going to have to be an @$$ and say when soon? :) Once we get those out of the way I can make a Pokemon Aqua Blue title screen for lulz.

pokéfanT
July 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM
How do you get charizard like that(the first picture under the paint page) in paint.

giradialkia
July 7th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Aw, YES!
I got it workin! Cheers, dude, your a legend!

Wiggletghfh
July 23rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
what are the numbers for the title screen on emerald?

Ben.
July 26th, 2009, 06:16 AM
there is a much easyer way of doing with with no hex editor is much simpler but this is a grea tutorial

Inferno-Ape
July 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I did this with lugia, and when I imported lugia to the title screen it said "Error:Image is not Exdended." What am I supposed to Do?

indohekrz
July 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I very need the GameFreak logo edit!!!

meganium14
July 30th, 2009, 08:53 AM
how do i rearange it in paint i have all the programs how do i arrange the pic in paint

how do i rearrange the pic in paint thats all i need please respond asap

tboandfshady
July 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM
i was wonderingif there is any other way since it seems impossable

or if someone would be kind enuf to help me do one

i wanted one to have zapdos, moltres or articuno or all of them :D

me2hack
July 31st, 2009, 07:35 AM
The pallette part is kinda hard, but after trying a couple of times, it went.

Conan Edogawa
August 1st, 2009, 06:09 AM
@ pokefanT: Find it, then click "save as"

@ Wiggletghfh: I don't remember try searching and if you see a piece of the title screen then it should be in that area.

@ Inferno-ape: Could you post a picture so we can help?

@ indoheckrz: Search in the same area as the other title screen pieces. Then it's the same process.

@ meganium14: You need to break it up into separate rectangles that are the length of the final product. Then, match each piece up according to it's place in the original. So in other words, the top bar in yours needs to match up with the top bar in the rectangle. I know that's confusing but it's the only way I can think of putting it.

@ tboandfshady: There is another way. It's called tilemap editing (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=159578). It has more flexability but is still pretty difficult for first timers.

Sorry if I'm intruding myfavouriteax I was just trying to give some advice. I don't think you'll mind though, less typing for you!

Gamer2020
August 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Hey guys!
*waves*

Updated my previous post.
The correct offset for the pallete of the charizard is 00EAD5E8.

Whoops...

Owz
September 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM
nice it worked but i coundnt change the color il try again in a litttle while

OM3GA Umbr30n
September 10th, 2009, 08:14 AM
This isnt very n00b freindly but it is still a decent tutorial for un-lazy hackers.

RomGenius
November 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM
How do you use UNLZ. I tried using it for my pokemon leaf green. Even downloaded it a few times. Still won't work. Will not reconize my ROM. And every other program will just not this one. Anyone know what's up with that or know of a program that will edit the title screen?

Pokepal17
November 19th, 2009, 04:52 AM
How do you use UNLZ. I tried using it for my pokemon leaf green. Even downloaded it a few times. Still won't work. Will not reconize my ROM. And every other program will just not this one. Anyone know what's up with that or know of a program that will edit the title screen?

Close down all other programs that your rom is open in and hen try again. If that doesn't work, check the rom's header or download a new rom.

novluis323
December 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Needed Programs:
-unLZ-GBA
-Gameboy Advance Emulator
-Hex Editor
-Advance Palette Editor (APE)

Needed unLZ-GBA numbers:
-2011 = the Charizard tilemap
-668-1498 = random pokemon sprites
-2013 = "Gamefreak inc." logo
-2009 = "Pokemon Firered Version" tilemap

Hacking the Title Screen
Open your rom and go to 2011. Select “Use Black/White”, and use the “+/-“ buttons until the picture looks like the one displayed.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/First.png

Click “Save As”, and save it as a .png file. Click save as a second time, and save the same picture with a different name. Open the file in paint. Extend the workspace to allow yourself more workroom. Arrange the image as so. Save the finished image twice as well.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Two.png

Next, select the black colour from the image, and clear it, so you’re left with only a black image in the same arrangement.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Three.png

Now. Go back into unLZ-GBA, and find a pokemon you want to replace the Charizard with. I’m going to use Caterpie, because I’m lame. Make sure it is in Black and White before clicking save as. Open it in paint, and copy/paste it into clear space. Try to make it touch the back of the clear space.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Four.png

We need to re-arrange the image back to it’s original form. Open the second, unedited Charizard picture you saved in step two, as well as the other second edited Charizard picture. Use both of these images as a reference, and move the blocks back into shape.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Five.png

Yes, really. It’s supposed to look like this. Open up unLZ-GBA yet again, and go back to 2011. Click “Import”, and select the image you just saved. Click “Write to Rom”, and OK. Very good! It has been indexed into the game. Open up your emulator and check it out! Don’t get your hopes up however, we still need to palette edit!
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Six.png

Palette Editing the Title Screen
So you may notice the Caterpie looks a bit ridiculous. You'd have to be mental not to. The Caterpie is still in the Charizard's palette. Open up Advance Palette Editor and your Hex Editor (I'd recommend Hex Workshop). I think it's much easier to hex edit palettes then to use APE, but you may find differently. Open your rom in the emulator and maneuver to the title screen. Click Tools and Palette Viewer.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/One.png

Now all you have to do is find the palette. I've circled it for you because I'm bored. Now we need to write down all ten of the the colours in hexadecimal. However, before we write them down, we need to separate and switch them. It sounds more difficult then it actually is. For example, the darkest colour in hex is 0x0004. We remove the "0x", and separate it into two groups of two numbers. 0004 would become 00 04. Then all you do is switch the two sets. 00 04 would now be 0400. It's that simple. If you do that for every colour in the palette, you will get 1F7C 1F7C 1F7C 0400 0600 0800 0B00 8F00 9300 D600 1901 7B01 FC01. Now put it all together and search for 1F7C1F7C1F7C0400060008000B008F009300D60019017B01FC01 in your hex editer.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Two-1.png

Open up APE. This obviously is used to edit the palettes, but I much prefer hex editing, as it is MUCH easier. Go to Tools, and Colour Picker. Now, before I hear any remarks about how unprofessional this tutorial is about to become, I'll tell you that this part is rather unprofessional. Open up paint. Open a picture of your sprite in colour. Now, use this as a reference. Right now, I can see on the titlescreen that Caterpie's ... antler(?) is the darkest colour in Carizard's palette (0x0004), therefore, when we look at the sprite of Caterpie, we see that it is a medium tone of red. A lot of this is guessing and checking. We find that tone of red in APE's colour picker, copy down the four digit hex value, and replace the value in the Hex Editor.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Three-1.png

Good, good. Now do that with every value (if needed) until your sprite is in its' original palette.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Four-1.png

Now. The rest of the screen can be palette edited as well. Just follow the same basic steps. Open up VBA, and go to Palette Viewer. Find the colour of the object you wish to change (for example, the red bar at the top), search for the string of values, find a colour you want it to be, and replace. Here's the screen after I palette edited.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp148/byarging/Five-1.png

Coming Soon!
-Editing the fireThe thing im tryin to do is change the light green sorta bluish to gray ive tryed lookin over and over and no luck

christopher salutes
February 14th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I'm confused with this. i'm a begginer to this,i'm still confused with a lot of programs like this, like unlz.gba, every single time a make a sprite it's all glitchy.

BlixxNova
August 10th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I do know that this is a rather late post, but I would like to know; is the Editing “Pokemon Firered Version” text up yet? I could really use that!

aquablue
August 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
Can someone that uses ntme to edit the title screen help me out? i put the sprite i want to change from charzard into the tile map and change the sprite from 0 to D. then i write it to the rom and dump the raw on tilemap 2012. for some reason the backgroung changed to all orange and the spite is the flames. ive followed youtube videos exactly and still get the same error occuring everytime. if you know how to resolve this issue plz let me know how. thx

BloodWang
August 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
This was of great help to my hack

tamsheel
February 23rd, 2012, 01:20 AM
How to remove the fire from titlescreen. Its showing in my screen. Plz help me someone. Pm me thanx to all

How to remove the fire from titlescreen. Its showing in my screen. Plz help me someone. Pm me thanx to all