PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Ruby: Making new Pokemon Types

Tropical Sunlight
December 24th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Hello, my name is Tropical Sunlight and I'm presenting you my first tutorial: Making new Pokemon Types!

1. Open your ROM in UnLZ.GBA. Go to 1485 and you will see the types. Form them with + and -, then save the image.

2. Open the type-image and choose a type you don't need anymore. I chose the BUG type. So all the BUG-type Pokemon will become GRASS-type Pokemon in my game. You can change the types of Pokemon in YAPE.

3. Make up a type. I'll be using the SPACE-type. Form the words from letters of other types. Then, I deleted the ???-type so it doesn't overlap the used space in the ROM.

4. Insert it into UnLZ.GBA and pray you won't have a too big image. That is for beginners. Advanced users can repoint.

5. Test it in your ROM ;)

http://www.shrani.si/f/47/Id/21ZRIArw/screen-of-surprise.png

I hope this helped!

Also, some notes for FireRed:
The Type icons in Fire Red can be found by opening the ROM in Tile Molester and going to offset 00E95FDC. Then hit Tile Forward to line them up right.

choatix
December 25th, 2008, 08:42 AM
No offence but is not really that helpful because you cannot change what is super effective/normal/resistant too.

colcolstyles
December 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I have to agree with chaotix.
What would be REALLY helpful is a way to actually change/add/remove types, not just the graphics.
Coolboyman did it :)

Tropical Sunlight
December 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
No offence but is not really that helpful because you cannot change what is super effective/normal/resistant too.

I have to agree with chaotix.
What would be REALLY helpful is a way to actually change/add/remove types, not just the graphics.
Coolboyman did it :)
Sure that's possible! Just use Darthatron's Strenght Changing tool ;)

sanoj94
December 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM
maybe chaos or rainbow or snow

Tropical Sunlight
December 26th, 2008, 06:26 AM
maybe chaos or rainbow or snow
Chaos: a good idea
Rainbow: really good
Snow: too much like ice

poddish
December 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I was thinking of making a hack w/ the type "light", it would be super effective against the dark type and not very effective against the normal type, thats all the strength/weaknesses I thought of so far, and only 1 move (so far) will be for it, return, and frustration will be a dark type, and curse will be ghost type.

Lady Berlitz
December 26th, 2008, 12:29 PM
You shouldn't be talking off-topic about ideas of what types you would like to add to your game.
This is a tutorial, not random discussion.

Anyway, this is a slightly useful tutorial, but like some people have said, there are a few things that get in your way.

Visible Light
December 26th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I think there is already a tool for it, so, this doesn't actually help, but thanks for trying.

interdpth
December 27th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Visible Light: You're a butthead,

Tropical Sunlight: I wish I would've seen tutorials like this back when I was your age kiddo's.

Good Job,

Tropical Sunlight
December 27th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I think there is already a tool for it, so, this doesn't actually help, but thanks for trying.
Not thank you lllll
Why don't you make a tutorial, king?
Visible Light: You're a butthead,

Tropical Sunlight: I wish I would've seen tutorials like this back when I was your age kiddo's.

Good Job,
Thanks, really.

THESPIRIT
December 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM
nice guide only it isnt very helpfull

Tropical Sunlight
December 28th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Hey this is my first tut...

Lady Berlitz
December 28th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I think there is already a tool for it, so, this doesn't actually help, but thanks for trying.No, there isn't already a tool for this. You should look before you post.

nice guide only it isnt very helpfullYou should post more than that. Try making a tutorial about something you found yourself.
Obviously it doesn't help you complete a hack, but it adds some originality to a hack.

Tropical Sunlight
December 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM
No, there isn't already a tool for this. You should look before you post.

You should post more than that. Try making a tutorial about something you found yourself.
Obviously it doesn't help you complete a hack, but it adds some originality to a hack.
Thanks, man!
You're really helpful.
Add you as a friend?

darkspire091
September 10th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know the number for the types for FireRed in unlz? Sorry if i'm posting on a dead thread I'm not sure where I should be asking this.

OM3GA Umbr30n
September 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Sorry if im reviving a dead thread but cant u answer ^ Question
This

xadamxzzz
September 12th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Can you make a different tutorial for fire red

OM3GA Umbr30n
September 13th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Xad im working on it T_T so far i only found the status images

EDIT:Seriously what is the Unlz number cause ive searched the rom twice T_T

Tropical Sunlight
September 25th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Xad im working on it T_T so far i only found the status images

EDIT:Seriously what is the Unlz number cause ive searched the rom twice T_T
Maybe it's in 256 colors & black/white? Maybe tilemaps...?

Great Mazinger
October 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
The Type icons in Fire Red can be found by opening the ROM in Tile Molester and going to offset 00E95FDC. Then hit Tile Forward to line them up right.

Tropical Sunlight
October 26th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Great!
Thanks for sharing this with us!

Matteron (96)
October 27th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I already kind of figured this out on my own, but I'm sure this helped a lot of people. Also I want to say good job on your first tutorial H20 Turqoise(can u pm if u have a PC nickname). One pointer, next time, make it longer. ;P

Are you sure that, that is the only way, I'm pretty sure you can find in in Unlz

Tropical Sunlight
October 27th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I already kind of figured this out on my own, but I'm sure this helped a lot of people. Also I want to say good job on your first tutorial H20 Turqoise(can u pm if u have a PC nickname). One pointer, next time, make it longer. ;P

Are you sure that, that is the only way, I'm pretty sure you can find in in Unlz
Why make it longer when it can be easier and lighter to understand if it is short?

Also, UnLZ only shows compressed images, that is why you cannot see OWs, Pokemon icons, backsprites and the type icons.
But in Tile Molester, you'll hardly be editing a Pokemon sprite (which is btw compressed)

Darthatron
October 27th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Why make it longer when it can be easier and lighter to understand if it is short?

Also, UnLZ only shows compressed images, that is why you cannot see OWs, Pokemon icons, backsprites and the type icons.
But in Tile Molester, you'll hardly be editing a Pokemon sprite (which is btw compressed)

FYI: Trainer back sprites are compressed in Ruby.

Tropical Sunlight
October 27th, 2009, 05:11 AM
FYI: Trainer back sprites are compressed in Ruby.
Oh.
Backsprites are compressed in Ruby.

Matteron (96)
October 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM
uh I guess u are right, and thanks for correcting me.

Orlando
November 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
No, there isn't already a tool for this. You should look before you post.

You should post more than that. Try making a tutorial about something you found yourself.
Do you know where the tool is for changing pokemon types?

poripori
November 29th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Ive maked the new type god..
anyway thx

Verloren
April 15th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Is there any actual way to add new types to the maximum number?

EDIT: Sorry if I shouldn't be bumping this or something.

Tropical Sunlight
April 15th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Is there any actual way to add new types to the maximum number?

EDIT: Sorry if I shouldn't be bumping this or something.
Of course you can but you have to be really experienced.

Verloren
April 16th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Well, I'm trying to make something with people who are pretty experienced, so I'm pretty sure if you told me how, if I couldn't do it, they could.

Would you mind all that much? It's fairly important to the project >_<

zZJoennZz
April 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM
nice tutorial........................

Tropical Sunlight
April 18th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Well, I'm trying to make something with people who are pretty experienced, so I'm pretty sure if you told me how, if I couldn't do it, they could.

Would you mind all that much? It's fairly important to the project >_<
The problem is, I don't know how to as well.

Verloren
April 19th, 2010, 04:39 AM
): Dang... does anyone know who does?

leachim_paloyz15
July 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the awesome tutorial Tropical Sunlight!!!
It really helped me in my hack!!! I made a type called Light.
Really cool!!! :D

Weavile05
July 5th, 2010, 10:30 PM
This tutorial would be necessary as part of adding a new type, but this only puts in the sprite, not the actual type effectiveness. I would, however, love to see a program that does.

Tropical Sunlight
July 6th, 2010, 02:06 AM
This tutorial would be necessary as part of adding a new type, but this only puts in the sprite, not the actual type effectiveness. I would, however, love to see a program that does.
A tool like that does exist.
It's made by Darthatron and you should find it on Google, with enough effort.
There was a link on the old PHO but then the site stopped working.

I'll see if I can get a link.

EDIT: Found it! http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=122330

siper x
July 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM
if you change the ??? type, then it is useful, but otherwise, it doesn't help much.

edit: @tropical sunlight: also, the tool that you were talking about doesn't seem to work

TheShinyMew
November 21st, 2013, 01:04 PM
Can you do me a tutorial for Fire Red, too? Probably via hex or something?

DrFuji
November 22nd, 2013, 03:00 PM
Sorry, TheShinyMew, but please don't bump threads that haven't been posted in for over a month.

Tropical Sunlight, if you would like this thread to be reopened just message either myself or giradialkia.