PDA

View Full Version : School: Rules & Punishments you don't agree with.

Dogboy2709
December 24th, 2008, 09:29 AM
This was a topic that came up in my RR-English class. I thought it would be a good topic to post here.

Now, In school (Or when you were if you already graduated) What school rules and/or Punishment do/did you not agree with and why And if you could change the rule or punishment, what would you change?

For me, In my school Handbook it says Alcohol/drug abuse (Bacsically coming to school with any Alcoholic Beverage.) For that, the first offense is 5 days OSS 5 days ISS, placement on the restricted list and loss of parking privelages for 30 calendar days, and a police referral

Now I agree with all the Punishments, expect for one. It's the OSS one. Students who don't want to be in school will basically bring any Alcohol or drug-related stuff to school Just to get kicked out.

If I could change the punishment, it would be 10 Days ISS along with the restricted list, loss of parking privileges and the police referral

True Reign
December 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
The only school rule I absolutely disagree with is the gum citation/punishment. Alot of people have bad breath, but it has to stay like that because of the no gum rule.

It's just plain stupid.

Vernikova
December 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I would have to disagree with the no cell phone rule. It's a messed up rule right now actually. You can have a phone in school but you can't take it out and you can't have it in school. Messed up no? It means you can't have it in school but if you do have the teachers have to confiscate it and give it bck to either your parent or until the end of the term. Most of them don't get confiscated anyway because there are too many kids to confiscate them from.

I also disagree with the rule that I can't go outside to eat. I know why they put the rule in the first place because there are 4000+ kids in my school and that it would take too long to get them back in school but I don't like it.

Oh, and hate that I have to get an 85+ on my regents exams so my principal and teachers can look good for it. But all of these are just personal things that I dislike.

Gummy
I find the rule against Cell phones to be completely idiotic. On random days my school would borrow metal detectors from the police and have an unannounced search. It also doesn't help that we have 5000 kids. And apparently it's against the rules to bring cell phones to school, so thousands were confiscated in a very hasty manner. You can imagine how hectic the school was at the end of the day when everyone was supposed to get their phones back. Teachers swear that all students use their phones to cheat on tests when only a small number do and majority have it to call their parents after school.

For teachers, these people are pretty stupid.

Rockéttes
-;4221560']The only school rule I absolutely disagree with is the gum citation/punishment. Alot of people have bad breath, but it has to stay like that because of the no gum rule.

It's just plain stupid.

Our school doesn't have that, but if it did, that'd be the only problem I had with the rules.

Surprisingly, I don't have any issues with the rules at all. I think my school is fair enough as it is, and any complaints regarding the rules are probably pushing that whole privileges vs. rights thing.

Gold warehouse
December 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM
-;4221560']The only school rule I absolutely disagree with is the gum citation/punishment. Alot of people have bad breath, but it has to stay like that because of the no gum rule.

It's just plain stupid.

Clean your teeth with more often and use toothpaste? You can use mints to freshen your breath anyway and the gum on the streets and beneath the tables is revolting.

I don't have any problems with school rules at the moment. But for a punishment I think exclusion is ridiculous, I'm sure when somebody is excluded they don't think "Oh no, I have learnt my lesson now, I'd better not do that again." Their reaction is probably similar to something like this "Yes! 4 day weekend!" :classic:

Mitchman
December 24th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Cell phone rule. Hell i think im the only one here with a valid and smart reason. Why? Well riots have been going on in my country and its getting hectic so much that they are starting to move to schools. I mean the universities and colleges can be used as asylums but now the rioters are using schools as well. If they should ever come to my school I could call the news channels and the army(yeah the cops will be there but hell in desperate times if it cant be controlled you got to call the army). Best part is though we have the rule and listen to music and text in front of the teachers. Stupid rule as well. Any other? Ah yeah. The way absenses are given out. For each day its 7 that you get for each hour you miss. So of course your sick a week and out of the 50 exusable absenses there goes 35. I would love if its 40 excusable absenses and 2 per day. Abuse i know but playing hookie and learning from trivial persuit is better then sitting in class listening to newtons first law the 60th time.

.Iramet
December 24th, 2008, 11:16 AM
My school is pretty lax, we wear what we want, we eat what we want when we want and we can have cell phones and ipods as long as we don't use them during class.
Yes that means gum too, although one teacher makes us spit it in the "BUCKET".
It has like five million pieces of gum.

Jorah
December 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hahaha, with my secondary school, no one really enforced the rules. So I would say there should have been a rule banning footballs XD People used to just smash them at you as you walked past outside...

Oh, at my college now, the fact that we have to do this rubbish and waste of time lesson called "Spiritual Journey" or we get exluded from college. Our teacher told us the college only does it because it's easy, so it means students pass easily which means the college gets more money. It's a waste of time and the teacher who teaches it thinks it is as well, so we just watch videos or have random discussions. Last lesson before we left for Christmas we watched "The Most Hated Family in America", I suppose it was good because it taught us how extreme and brainwahed people can be, whihc was kind of scary. But we could be doing more productive things for lessons we actually want to pass :/

jasonresno
December 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I completely agree with the no cellphone rule (keep it in your lockers, pal.) and the dress restrictions (to a certain degree). However I think you should NEVER suspend a student OUT of school. That's just letting them get a few days break from classes and such. Keep 'em in school and working.

Sokai
December 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
There are lots, but recently our school's been given a very strict dresscode. We can only wear khaki, navy or black pants/skirts/jumpers/shorts and polo shirts in certain colors.

The two rules I don't agree with is some of the color restrictions. None of our tops are allowed to be red (only burgandy/maroon), navy (or pretty much any form of blue, which stinks), orange, pink, purple or have any sort of pattern like stripes or polka dots.

But the only that really bugs me is our dumb jacket rule. We can not wear sweatshirts inside of the building (which is lame cuz it's freezing cold ALL day and those zip-up hoodies don't really keep you warm unless you have them expensive thick, fur-hooded ones) and any jackets we wear inside have to be unzipped at all times and can not have writing across the chest, though everybody ignores that cuz it's no that visible if you have it unzipped.

Also, shirt tails must be tucked in at ALL times and all bottoms need to have belt loops with a belt, which is totally annoying cuz I sometimes forget my belt and it's really time consuming having to tuck your shirt in and buckle your belt.
Oh, and we can't have any color socks. Not that I really care, cuz I usually wear ballerina flats or white socks.

And then there's that dumb ID thing we all have to wear all the time. And if we forget it, we get three days of ISS.

Yamikarasu
December 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I'm pretty fine with most rules at my school. A few rules are a little ridiculous, last year it actually became a law that students could not have cell phones in class. Most teachers however just say that its fine to have a cell phone as long as they don't see it or hear it, which I think is fair enough.

My school doesn't have anything against gum, although a few individual teachers do.

Jessie
December 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
At my school you get detention if you're late to first block even if you have a doctors note or a parent. It's just silly.

Working Class Hero
December 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
You cant have food or drinks in any class room or hallway. This doesn't affect me because I don't even eat or drink at school. But a lot of people don't buy lunch and have to bring it to school. Now they cant and they have to skip lunch. :\

Counterfeit
December 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
They can, by law, keep us however late they want after school in a detention.

Ree-dic-yoo-lous.

processr
December 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
We're allowed to bring mobile phones to school, so I've no problem with that. Of course, we aren't to use them in the middle of a lesson, and most people adhere to that. It's the people who don't turn them off or at least put them on Silent that infuriate me, when they don't understand why their phone's going off. >>;

As for the rest of the rules my school has, I agree with them. I see no reason to question the authority of my learning establishment, and I don't sympathise with those who like to be anarchic when it comes to such matters.

True Reign
December 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Clean your teeth with more often and use toothpaste? You can use mints to freshen your breath anyway and the gum on the streets and beneath the tables is revolting.
I wasn't talking about myself Vendak. Oh and by the way, we aren't supposed to have mints anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

♣Gawain♣
December 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM
In our school, we are not allowed to bring cellphones. Even during duties in the pediatric ward! How silly of it...

Mika
December 24th, 2008, 11:45 PM
:3 well... yes

You've sparked my passion children. >:3

I'm very anti corporal punishment in schools. I just graduated but I've dealt with a broad variety of punishments in a classroom setting, none of which were fair. FOR EXAMPLE~

I was forced to stand for the entire 8:20-3:45 school day with the exception of bathroom and recess because I tipped back in my chair for a period of up to two weeks.

I was forced to run for 45 minutes because I stopped to help an overweight friend with an inhaler

I was forced to take PE even though I was a competetive Baton Twirler who was also taking six hours of Russian Style classical ballet a week. I've since ruined my feet and knees.

Locked in a white room. C: for an entire day of fuuun that they tried to call an ISS

Reported a guy for sexual harassment in highschool and was put into a room with the person responsible with no adult mediating and told to "work it out"
[/list]

there's more to that list but that's just an example.

Corporal Punishment makes Twitchy Mika MAD. :<

Gold warehouse
December 25th, 2008, 01:44 AM
-;4222489']Oh and by the way, we aren't supposed to have mints anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

Well no mints is a stupid rule, how can they come up with any reason to justify banning mints? It's not as if they get stuck everywhere like gum.

Ayano Katagiri
December 25th, 2008, 01:54 AM
My school has some pretty strict guidelines, but I can't really think of any that I disagree with. Since they all make sense in some ways.

Cassino
December 25th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Uniform was the only major one, throughout my time at school.
They always try to feed students some feeble purpose for it, like how it's supposedly simpler (despite consisting of more items of clothing, just wtf) or how it gives the school a sense of unity or something (all I felt was oppressed); but at least it's not as bad as Japan, I wouldn't want to have to wear one of those extremely short skirts. ._.

Counterfeit
December 25th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Well no mints is a stupid rule, how can they come up with any reason to justify banning mints? It's not as if they get stuck everywhere like gum.

It'll draw attention to my Systems & Control teacher the dirty smelly teachers who don't clean their teeth or wash?

Rockéttes
December 25th, 2008, 05:15 AM

Choking hazards would be the only explanation I could come up with. Same as the no food on the bus rule.

Speaking of buses, does anyone else have that 'no talking on the bus' rule at their school? We used to, until they finally realized we were going to talk regardless of a silly sign saying 'Shhh!' at the front of the bus.

Gold warehouse
December 25th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Choking hazards would be the only explanation I could come up with. Same as the no food on the bus rule.

You can choke on pretty much anything, what will they ban next? They will ban pens because there is always someone who chews on their pen lid; I'm sure a kid died because he choked on his pen lid because he was chewing on it, I think his mum tried to sue the school which dosn't help the matter, it makes the schools even more worried causing them to ban more things needlessly. http://forums.tauonline.org/Smileys/classic/rolleyes.gif

Tré
December 25th, 2008, 07:03 AM
the only rule i hate is boys must have not having long hair...and must be tidy..not punky..xD

Spirit of Dialga
December 25th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I hate the rule which states that ones who beat others will be suspended!

Cid
December 25th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I don't like the rules that hinder you from freewill at our school (no hanging out at school after classes, no going out of the school campus on breaks)...

Yeah, probably those rules.

Dogboy2709
December 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I find the rule against Cell phones to be completely idiotic. On random days my school would borrow metal detectors from the police and have an unannounced search. It also doesn't help that we have 5000 kids. And apparently it's against the rules to bring cell phones to school, so thousands were confiscated in a very hasty manner. You can imagine how hectic the school was at the end of the day when everyone was supposed to get their phones back. Teachers swear that all students use their phones to cheat on tests when only a small number do and majority have it to call their parents after school.

For teachers, these people are pretty stupid.

That is just INSANE! How can you cheat on a test, using your phone, if your phone doesn't have picture abilities??

At my school you get detention if you're late to first block even if you have a doctors note or a parent. It's just silly.

WHAT? EVEN FOR YOUR FIRST OFFENSE? My school doesn't get THAT serious until the 5th-7th lateness (To school itself) You get a Wed. 3-hour detention.

You cant have food or drinks in any class room or hallway. This doesn't affect me because I don't even eat or drink at school. But a lot of people don't buy lunch and have to bring it to school. Now they cant and they have to skip lunch. :\

What? You can't even have a water bottle?

They can, by law, keep us however late they want after school in a detention.

Ree-dic-yoo-lous.

Now that's insasne...If i were you, I would Protest against that rule.
:3 well... yes

You've sparked my passion children. >:3

I'm very anti corporal punishment in schools. I just graduated but I've dealt with a broad variety of punishments in a classroom setting, none of which were fair. FOR EXAMPLE~

I was forced to stand for the entire 8:20-3:45 school day with the exception of bathroom and recess because I tipped back in my chair for a period of up to two weeks.

I was forced to run for 45 minutes because I stopped to help an overweight friend with an inhaler

I was forced to take PE even though I was a competetive Baton Twirler who was also taking six hours of Russian Style classical ballet a week. I've since ruined my feet and knees.

Locked in a white room. C: for an entire day of fuuun that they tried to call an ISS

Reported a guy for sexual harassment in highschool and was put into a room with the person responsible with no adult mediating and told to "work it out"
[/list]

there's more to that list but that's just an example.

Corporal Punishment makes Twitchy Mika MAD. :<

Talk about a huge lack of common sense...

I hate the rule which states that ones who beat others will be suspended!

I hear you there. In my school, if someone hits you, you are part of the fight, EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T FIGHT BACK!

Spaekle Oddberry
December 25th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I sure love my school's rules. :]

- "This kid jumped you and you fought back instead of letting the living bullcrap get kicked out of you? YOU'RE BOTH SUSPENDED :D!"

- "We're too lazy to figure out who pulled the fire alarm six times in one day thereby committing six felony offenses in one day and causing us to get fined for each false alarm, so EVERYONE IN THE SCHOOL IS ON LOCKDOWN :D!"

- "One kid threw an apple down the bleachers? EVERYONE IN THE SCHOOL IS ON LOCKDOWN :D! Report to the assembly during fifth period so we can lecture you on how everyone's behavior is terrible and there's trash everywhere!"

- "Speaking of trash everywhere, the cafeteria is awful! Sure, most of it's from school-issued lunch, but we can't take that away from you, so instead we're going to suspend everyone who orders out for lunch!"

- "You're all unhealthy! This is obviously the VENDING MACHINE's fault for selling coke products! From now on, we only sell Vitamin Water at $2 a bottle! During fourth and fifth periods, the drama club will be selling popcorn and donuts! Come support your school!"

- "OH MY GOD YOU'RE WEARING A HAT WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU GO TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE RIGHT NOW YOU ARE SUCH A PROBLEM CHILD JESUS CHRIST BACK IN MY DAY..."

- "One person kicked a door until the glass on it broke! Why are you all such problem children? I think it's time for another assembly about how bad you all are. Oh, and nobody can go outside any more. I mean, there are cameras positioned at every possible angle outside and it'd be easy to see who the one dumbass is who kicked down the door, but this is a lot easier."

You just never know what they're going to do next!

Mitchman
December 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
They keep us in the morning everyday for 5 minute in the freezing effin 2 degrees celsius cold after prayer to tell us how bad or responsibilty to keep the school clean is or how we all, yes all 350 where out of that total 2-3 smoke, should stop smoking on the school grounds or better to stop being unactive in class. Yes they actually do that to us and the lass one is unfair cause3 if we become lesson happy the teacher will have a headache as we would be screaming and to spasmatic. Yeah for a bunch of teens we are crazy nutjobs. How lovely!

Vernikova
December 25th, 2008, 10:45 AM
That is just INSANE! How can you cheat on a test, using your phone, if your phone doesn't have picture abilities??
By texting them of course. Some phones also let you go on the internet.

s0nido
December 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I hate the chewing gum rule. Sure, it has its purposes, but I think that our punishment is a bit harsh. We receive an after-school for chewing during school hours. And it isn't restricted to just gum. If you're caught chewing anything, you're slapped with a detention.

There's also a rule about the uniform. If you have your shirt untucked during class, you're slapped with a detention. Same goes for not wearing your blazer during form assembly. Even if it's a hot day, you have to keep your blazer on. Then there's the tie rule. If your tie is slightly undone and a teacher catches you, they have to give you a demerit or an after school.

At our school, we have something called a discipline system which involves the use of demerits. 3 demerits cops a detention, another 3 gets you another detention, another 3 gets you another detention, at 12, you receive a suspension and at 15, you are asked to leave the school. If you refuse to leave, you have one more chance. If you get one more demerit, you're out.

*Firestar*
December 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
At school we have weird rules like:

if your top button on your shirt is undone, that's a detention,

Tie undone, detention,

Phone goes off, even if it isn't your fault (damn T-mobile and orange), detention,

Upstairs during lunch or break, detention,

I got told off for telling the truth about not moving a chair. The teacher is weird, he told me to move the chair back when I didn't move it and told me off.

December 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I don't agree with the lack of punishment. Yeah, we've got it all written down, but it's not enforced...young teachers don't inforce in-classroom rules because they want to be liked and everyone'es favourite. Similarly, the young security guards (all but one) just chill and blab with the hall monitor; none of them take their job remotely seriously. It's appalling; a non-student could probably hang in the halls the vast majority of the day without getting caught by the security cameras (which are everywhere but the bathrooms and the deans' offices) and all day if they know what they're doing. It's appalling...

Mika
December 25th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hmph.

My highschool was pretty lax I guess

Juniors/Seniors could leave for lunch but most teachers let sophmores and even sometimes freshmen leave because the food at my highschool's gotten so horrifically bad.

The pop thing isn't the school's fault, that was a goverment mandate in the us. They're also reducing proportions on school lunches from 07-10 to try and de-fat kids. Funny. They're not reducing hazing in locker rooms or making PE fun or at least tolerable and they're starving us. I've heard of places that are prohibting kids to bring thier own lunch to school in an attempt to control what they eat. That...sickens me. >>;

Hmm

ANYONE ELSE SEE A PROBLEM HERE? >>;

as far as phones went, it says in the school book thing not to have 'em but we bring 'em anyways. it's really a per classroom sort of thing...

As far as lock downs go, we've had that... we also had, in -30F temperatures, some eHarmony reject who didn't like the fact he got dumped pulled the fire alarm and we were outside in said -30F weather for almost 45 minutes.

They're making efforts but they're making them in all the wrong places. My highschool also suspends both parties in a fight unless the victim doesn't even raise their arms to defend themselves [i.e. shielding fae] and that in itself is retarded. Out of School Suspensions or OSS is what kids want. Day out of school. ISS's are much better and teach a lesson. x_x However if you do a pathetic excuse for a ISS [aka, what happened with me which included a locked room with nothing to do for hours on end] then you're crossing the punishment line.

It's something America fails at, discipline in schools.

"Oh we don't want to hurt self esteem D:" or "Let them work it out on their own" or "It's all a part of growing up" or "Let the parents take care of it"

Bull. Crap.

If the parents aren't going to take care of it, it falls on the school to do so and kicking them back home where they can watch TV and sleep in does nothing but tell them such behaviour is acceptable. It just doesn't work like that.

Idiot!
December 26th, 2008, 07:36 AM
My school banned:

-marker pens

-correction fluids

-exercise books (the only ones we are allowed to use are the ones with the school's logo. 100% stupid. Exercise books outside are at least 1.5 times thicker and of better quality)

-socks (we are only allowed to wear school socks. Nobody really wants to obey this rule because the socks' quality tends to decrease every month)

-chewing gum

-all electronic stuff

Someone managed to smuggle in a PSP though.

Jubilation
December 26th, 2008, 07:41 AM
My school was pretty calm, you could swear at a teacher & merely be sent out of the class

processr
December 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Reading some of these comments make me feel so much better about attending a grammar school, where the vast majority of people are actually clever and don't feel the need to set off a fire alarm every ten seconds.

In over five years of attending my school we've only ever had two occasions where the fire alarms have gone off unscheduled (i.e. not a drill). Once was five years and a couple of weeks ago, in my first year. It was the middle of December and the boilers broke. Completely. And because it was below a certain temperature in the classrooms they weren't legally allowed to keep us there, and sent us all home. The second time was exactly a week ago when they malfunctioned and all went off. We don't have retards who can only read as far as 'break glass' and assume it to be an immediate command. >>;

vVintage
December 26th, 2008, 12:15 PM
at lunch, people arent allowed stand up unless you going to get food or go to the bathroom

Black Ice
December 26th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Last year, the price of Coke and Sprite was raised from $1.00 to $1.25. This year, they've all been replaced with Sprite Zero and Vitamin Water and stuff like that. Yet they still sell donuts and cupcakes and muffins every morning and at lunch.

There's a metal detector that you have to go through every morning, but nobody ever does anything even if it detects metal. What a waste of money.

Everyone on our basketball team (middle school, jv, and varsity) gets a pair of LeBrons and has to wear them every game. Even more money wasted.

You're not allowed to go outside during lunch time. Nobody listens to this, but sometimes they'll hand out detentions. It really is kind of hard to fit 1000 students into a small cafeteria.

If somebody hits you, then both you and the one who hit you get referrals and/or suspension.

pokemon_beauty
December 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Well, most of the rules in our school I completely agree with.
I am a senior in a public high school.

The one rule I absolutely do not agree with is if someone comes after you physically, and you defend yourself, you are automatically suspended as well. I don't see that as being fair. I know that if someone punch me in the face, my first reaction would be to go back swinging.