PDA

View Full Version : The Great Paysite Debate

Alistair
December 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM
If you are an avid Sims 2 fan, you surely have heard about the paysite debate. If not, or if you are a bit fuzzy on the subjects, there is brief intro in the spoiler tags.

When the Sims came out, it allowed for custom content to be made and added. Many people saw this as just a hobby, while others saw it as an oppertunity (to make money, of course). It was all legal and fine (albeit frowned upon) in The Sims 1, because the EULA did not forbit any such practice. Then came The Sims 2. With the new EULA, it was stated that custom content is distributable for recreational purposes only, and that once content is packaged into a Package file, it becomes property of EA. Well, people ignored the EULA, and created and sold custom content for the game. Some people even chose to make a living off of it (such as Peggy), or some had free sites that offered sets if you gave a donation (or "donation sets," if you will). As you could guess, this infuriated much of the community. To add gasoline to the flames, EA has done nothing about the subject, and at one point even promoted a very prosperous Sims 2 paysite, The Sims Resource on their site (promotion has since been removed). Then came PMBD, which is an active movement to take all of this "pay content" and make available for free (which is perfectly legal). So, that is the condensed version of the Paysite Debate.

So, what are your thoughts?

I personally would like to see all paysites crash and burn, especially "PeggyZone." It is just not right to charge for something that should be free (and make a living, on top of it). I would donate to a site that asks for donations just to cover hosting costs (as long as they stopped after their cost is met), but that is it. Even though I only have two pieces of custom content I use (facial hair and regular hair, because nothing in the default game actually matches mine), I am still apalled by it. I also hope that EA comes up with a solution for The Sims 3.

Astinus
December 24th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Wow. People are just debating about this? Sims 2 fandom needs to spread.

Anyhow, I'm against paysites. I have nearly every expansion pack and stuff pack for the Sims 2, since I want to support EAxis for bringing us this game. With each EP, I get new neighborhoods/subhoods, actions for the Sims to do, and a lot more other things than just hair/clothes/items.

With custom content, however, I'm against paying however much for a hair that my Sim could wear. The people making this custom content and expecting money for it are getting money from something EAxis created. Besides, most of the custom content I've seen that is pay isn't really all that good. Like most of Peggy's hair. I've seen some frightening pictures of what that woman's hair does to Sims.

So mostly all of my custom content folder is free custom content. There's a lot out there that's free and of good quality that works in the game well. I'm not about to pay for hair that cuts into my Sim's head when the free hair is much better.

I also hope that EA comes up with a solution for The Sims 3.
They did. It's much easier to create custom content in TS3, especially objects.

Alistair
December 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I wasn't talking about making the objects, but rather distributing them. Like a system built in to the game where you can upload your content, or an authorization process by EA. And I am surprised too that no one brought it up here, but one search in Google about the paysite thing will yield many results.

He Trembles on Your Breath
December 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I dislike most paysites and it annoys me that a lot of the good stuff on The Sims Resource costs money. However I think if you look hard enough there is some pretty good free content out there. But I do still think paying for content is ridiculous because the people making it aren't actually going to profit that much.

Also, Sims 3!!! =D

Astinus
December 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I wasn't talking about making the objects, but rather distributing them. Like a system built in to the game where you can upload your content, or an authorization process by EA. And I am surprised too that no one brought it up here, but one search in Google about the paysite thing will yield many results.
I've heard many rumors from the Sims 2 community I'm in that CC isn't going to be easily distributed this time around. So far, nothing has been confirmed either way. All that EA did push was making the CC.

And this "paysite" debate in the Sims 2 has been going on for many years. Earliest report is 2006. Right now, though, in the actual Sims 2 communities, there isn't much debate on pay sites because there's a perfectly good option for everyone. Those who want to pay for the content can, while those who don't want to pay for the same content don't have to.