PDA

View Full Version : A PC virus issue

Michii
December 27th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Kay, so yeah. We all just loveeeee conflicts with family, right? Especially when they have to do with PC! So here's the problem. The past year or so, I've been getting more viruses than usual. Virus after virus somehow makes its way into my computer like a hobo does to free food samples. The past month, they've been so bad that they've killed my computer, causing me to have to wipe it out a couple times. Now, before you go off with your "how does this relate to PC?" post, let me explain what my step father says. He's dead on sure that I'm getting my viruses from this forum. He keeps telling me that this forum is the source of my virus problems and that I shouldn't go on it any longer.

On top of it, yesterday he went on my computer and opened a new tab when I was on this forum. All of a sudden, PC started showing that little swirly green and blue thing that shows the page is loading somethign. He was puzzled and he clicked on PC's tab. He then opened this virus thing that showed that viruses were being downloaded. He just looked at me with the "get off of these sites" look. As a member of Pokecommunity for almost a year, I'm not keen on leaving after making friends and such. So here is my question. This forum is 100,000% virus safe, correct?

Yu_&_Rei
December 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
as far as I know yes it is virus free.

Sublime
December 27th, 2008, 10:14 PM
:O
PC spreading viruses?
I would hope not!
*double checks Norton just in case*

I've never got a single virus here..

Is there another member of your family possibly viewing some of the more common virus-inducing sites?

Gumball Watterson
December 27th, 2008, 10:15 PM
You can say this forum is 101% virus free, but your Math Teacher would get mad :P.

I've been here almost 3 years in a couple of months and no way, there never no waffled way in hell that I ever got a virus from PC. Your uncle is crazy somehow, or the viruses are just making those illusions...

But I uncle fikkin gurantee you this website HAS NO SUCH THING AS───

*Windows has been shut down*

Working Class Hero
December 27th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I have the newest version of AVG. AVG Internet Security 2008 with all the latest updates. I have never ONCE gotten a message saying that it is even a threat. In fact, according to it, PC is safer than Yahoo and Google. :[ Your step dad isn't the brightest of people. And yes, AVG is one if not the best virus protection you can have.

BeachBoy
December 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Michips, if PC dished out viruses there would be countless other members ranting about the same issue. Are there any? Nope! :D (edit: lol, t.A.t.U posted right as I post this, great) This forum is a safe envoirnment. I'd look rather into what you're downloading and use actual virus scanners rather than looking at PC.

Cid
December 27th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I've been here for awhile, and I've never gotten any viruses (well, almost, if the Zango incident is considered).

I'm sure that there aren't, because a lot of people have been asking about it for awhile, and same answers have been given.
Also, no personal experiences from me, which makes me wonder it's the case for some people.

Michii
December 27th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I'd multi quote, but it's too late and I'm too lazy. XDD;

.Sublime: Yes, there are other sites that could cause the problem, but the incident with the virus scanner thinger made him believe almost completely that this site is one of the main problems. :/

─AdvancedK9─: It's my step father, but close enough.

t.A.T.u: I'm sure your post will surely help me prove my step father that the forum is safe come morning :p. But thankya for the honesty and heh, let's hope you're wrong too. DDD:

Ry: Virus scanners have been used. It sucks, 'cause I can't really prove PC isn't the cause at all. I can say what you've said, but I'm sure it has a flaw in it that can be picked out. ;;

Sublime
December 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Wait..Your step-father didn't click one of those pesky ads on here by accident while switching tabs did he?

That possibly could've caused it.

EDIT: If he needs more convincing than this thread, show him this (http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/pokecommunity.com?version=2&core_ver=1.0&pip=true&premium=false&client_ver=2.8.304&client_type=IEPlugin&suite=true&aff_id=0&locale=en-us&os_ver=6.0.1.0)

GKS
December 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I been on PC for over an year, with no virus protection, and I never suspected a virus from here.

I did get one before, but I don't suspect this site.

Zet
December 27th, 2008, 10:52 PM
all I can suggest is get some web monitoring software to track what the rest of your family does, that way you can find out who has been getting the viruses, PC is 100% virus free and always will be

also your step father clicked on a thing showing viruses being downloaded, no wonder you got viruses, he fell for a trap

Melody
December 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I can assure your stepfather that this site IS NOT causing the viruses. It's the other advertisements and things.

You cant click on advertisements anymore around here. Too many of them try to serve up malware. You seriously shouldn't be downloading things from other sites.
It's not this site's fault that these advertisements serve malware. Hell, even google, who hosts these advertisements arent always capable of knowing that someone is abusing their advertisement system to serve up malware.

Also, if you've been getting hit with viruses, it's generally not your fault. 2008 has been a very active year for malware coders and such, and this has been well documented and commented upon among various news sources like ZDNet and Cnet. (Quite a few others too). You're not the only one who is being hit with all the zero day vulnerabilities that have occurred this year. If your father doesn't keep the computer properly patched and updated it's mainly his fault. You can only be held responsible for what you've actually installed this year on the machine. If you have been installing crap, then yeah..you deserve to suffer some. But not losing access to this site because he blindly thinks this site is at fault. No it's not PC's fault at all.

My suggestion is to get Firefox. Ditch IE. Teach the whole family to use FF. It's not too different from IE. And install AdBlockPlus. Finally, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU CLICK ON! MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE SITE WELL! Finally, Install spybot S&D, and avast! (Ditch Norton (2009 is passable), and mcaffee. both are bloatware and both are ineffective.)

I've been running FF+Spybot+avast! this year, and I've not once caught a virus.

Hiidoran
December 27th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I do believe I understand what makes your step-father believe that this site is the culprit of many viruses. Actually, it is an honest mistake if you look at it in the right light.

My prediction- The virus is causing your computer to process things at a slower rate and, therefore, websites such as PC that run forum software will have a difficult time displaying all its features and showing up properly. Your step-father simply realized that PC was causing the computer to slow-down and behave in a strange manner.

As for what you can do to prove to him that PC is in fact, 100 percent safe, I'm just not sure. If at all possible, rid your computer of such pests and have him watch you surf the community for a bit; that might do it.
(Or have him read this thread with all this testimony... It’s worth a shot.)

Any who, that's just a prediction of mine. I hope you get it all settled, Michii. :3

Michii
December 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Thank you all for the extra reassurance and solid evidence that PC isn't the problem. Thanks for the link, .Sublime, and for the wall of text from Zazie Rainyday, annnndd for the other posts from various people. When I wake up later today (hehe), I'll be sure to show my step father this first thing. Thanks again, everyone, and I'm happy that I have so many posts to show him. :]]