View Full Version : How has 2000-2008 affected you? A look back...
December 31st, 2008, 04:49 PM
While I've seen threads looking back at the past historic year, I thought why not look back at all 8 years of the Bush Administration? Well I don't want this to be a US only thread so I do hope you can share how the past 8 Years have changed for you personally, while at the same time looking at the bigger worldwide picture.
Let's have a reflection on ourselves and the world itself.
Me personally the past 8 years have been a whirlwind of events. PokeMania, The rise of the fandoms and Internet, moving from country to country, meeting new people, still keeping mostly to myself at times, becoming a US Citizen, PC membership, the US Elections to name a few.
I'll add more when I have the time but for now some political comic strips. ^_^
December 31st, 2008, 08:56 PM
1. Modern Technology and the rise of the Internet.
2. Terrorism [especially 911] - getting more security. :o
3. A change of environment. - Buildings here, buildings there, buildings everywhere. Soon there will be no more room for the animals and plants. And more serious natural calamities.
4. Erasing God in our minds. Religion, srsly.
December 31st, 2008, 11:18 PM
I've seen quite a lot change over these past 8 years and half of my life.
Some good, some bad.
The rise of computer technology is certainly the thing that stands out the most for me.
January 1st, 2009, 01:22 AM
The last 8 years have been an up and down ride.
Mostly, it was a bit of a let-down overall for myself. I faced more problems and worries than I had times of celebration and only since 2006 has the outlook began to look better.
Here's my major points of my experiences of those 8 years
- Jan 1st, 2000 I was single, living with parents, at school and suffering from depression. (17 years old)
- Confirmation of my beliefs that the Y2K bug wasn't going to cause what it was hyped to be.
- My introduction to and rejection of pornography.
- One of my great-great father on my mothers side died from lung cancer
- One of my aunts on my father's side suffered a heart attack. She survived.
- 9-11, was verbally berated by a friend for not seeming to care about those how died.
- Out of my main original high school group of friends, I became the only one to manage to complete Year 12.
- 21st Birthday, a nice moment in my life
- First job, working as a supermarket shelf stacker, was basically laid off within 6 months and almost lost my job on the first day due to a sexual harrestment claim made when I something I said was mistaken by another nearby.
- Tried to move out of home with a friend, fell through three weeks later after I was politely told by that friend that he could not stand living and sleeping in the same flat as me for extended periods.
- Successfully moved out of home with two cousins. Barely managed to avoid taking up smoking.
- First got my own internet connection in 2003
- After a while, increasing money problems and unwillingness of the other tenants I was with to help pay the expenses, forced massive repercussions, in the end I was forced to pay all that we owed to avoid foreclosure. Broke and in a bad way mentally I returned to living at home for a while.
- Failed tertiary education courses I took, because of laziness and depression.
- Attempted with greater success to move out on my own.
- Most of my relatives from my mother's side moved down to where me and my parents lived.
- My father suffered a heart attack. He survived thankfully. This led to the mending of a rift between my father and myself which happened during my teen years.
- My sister got married to a ex-foster child of my nan's. Was a very happy time indeed
- My brother was cheated on, causing a schism between himself and some of his mates, and his best friend who ended up with my brother (now ex)girlfriend. He lived in my flat for a while, overcoming the deep depression that such an action left him in.
- My sister fell pregnant and later on in 2008 gave birth to a healthy young girl. There were no complications at all.
- Another wedding this time a relative's one.
- Now on Jan 1st 2009 I am single, living on my own, unemployed and on a pension and actually doing rather decently. (now 25 years old)
- Finally, my computers I owned, that has changed so heavily in 8 years it is not funny. In 2000 I was only able to get online at school, so I only wrote fanfiction for the most part, by the end of 2008, I was playing MMO's, looking at webcomics, forum lurking, browser based gaming, you name it ^_^
January 1st, 2009, 06:17 AM
This is the list so far:
-Rising levels of CO2 and CO, contributing it to greenhouse effect.
-9/11 disaster, makes us aware of everyone in the world.
-economical crisis, you already know it.
-Hurricane Katrina, one the most disastrous hurricanes that hit the US.
Joey the Cockroach
January 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Well a lot has happened in the last 8 years, but the only thing to affect me is the Economic Crisis. 2000-2003 were very great years, but 2004-2008 was a huge downward spiral.