PDA

View Full Version : Official PokéCommunity Artworm 2009

Rockéttes
January 1st, 2009, 03:35 AM
The Official
PokéCommunity Artworm ’09
Yes, it’s been approved. ;)

Original thread (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151037&).

Alright guys, I think it’s high time we brought this baby back. Our other one didn’t turn out as expected, but whatever. We’ll just have to make this one extra-awesome to make up for it, y’know?

We’ve gained a few new artists since our last attempt at this, so let’s review what an Artworm is, shall we?

An Artworm is well, a worm of art. The height is fixed and it doesn't matter who does it. It's less about the skill of the person and more about the art and passion that they put into. This is something to bring graphic artists together. One person does such and such, and then the next person continues on from the last. It's okay to maybe cover up a corner or something, but we must be careful not to do that too much, or else we will be overpowering their art- and that's a bad thing.

The first person starts the art worm, of course, and the next person continues on, blending the same thing into their piece. You don't need to have ANY relevancy at all in here. :3 It's art, not scripture.

Now that we’re all familiar with what it is exactly that we’re working on, let’s discuss a few rules and whatnot:

SIGNING UP:
Sign up will be a little more complicated this time around. I’ve created a group specifically for the Artworm. Here’s the link:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/group.php?groupid=705

It’s an invite-only, so you’re going to have to request an invitation in this thread. Everyone is allowed to join in the fun, so don’t be afraid to request an invitation. But be warned; once you accept the invitation, there’s no backing out. Other members included in the Artworm will be relying on you to do your part. An Artworm is a team project, so teamwork is mandatory.

The deadline for joining will be Jan. 7, 2009. That gives you a full week to request an invitation.

HOW IT WORKS:
An Artworm is a complicated process, and at times can be a little confusing. Here’s how this is going to play out:

A list of all participants will be written out, the order of which will be determined by invitations accepted. The first person on the list will have no later than one week to create a tag (see speculations for more information on this). While this is going on, that person and the next person on the list have the option of discussing the piece with each other. This way, the next person to go will have an idea of how to make their piece flow with the previous one, giving them a head start. Once the first person finishes, he/she will post it in the group AND PM me a copy. At this time, the week long time limit begins for the next person, and they begin their own tag. Now, with the next person working on their piece, they too have the option of discussing it with the third person on the list, and so on. This cycle will be repeated until the end of the list, at which time we’ll either call it quits or continue with the process, depending on how the Artworm is looking/how we’re feeling about it.

SPECULATIONS:
We’re going to try something different this time around. Instead of the massive canvas we were forced to work with last time, we’re going to be working with signature-sized pieces. I know LPs aren’t a strong point for some people, so why force them upon everyone? The minimum dimensions will be 370x150, maximum 400x150 if needed.

It appears that most people were against this idea, so sizes for individual pieces are now 600x450, maximum 650x450 if space is an issue.

Also, try to make your tag flow with the previous one in the worm. Fortunately, there’s a tutorial that covers this located here (http://perminator.deviantart.com/art/Artworm-tutorial-37865824) (credit to CME for providing the link).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
I’ve created the group to make things a little more organized. After entries are sent to me via PM, they will also be posted IN THE GROUP ONLY. Please don’t post any entries in this thread.

Also, I’ve created a deviantART account solely for the Artworm so we don’t run into the same size issue as we did last time. When you PM me your addition to the Artworm, I will be responsible for updating the worm and posting the latest version on dA, along with your addition to it as a separate “deviation”. I doubt any of use will run into any resizing issues, seeing as we’re using 370x150 canvas’, but I didn’t want to take any chances. Anything can go wrong.

Here is the link to the dA account:
http://pcartworm2009.deviantart.com/

And here is a preview of the Artworm so far (I'll be updating as needed):
http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/024/7/2/PokeCommunity_Artworm_2009_by_PCArtworm2009.png

So, there you have it! Like I said, you’ve only got one week to sign up, so let’s get crackin’, little ones.

Invites Sent (10):
noxious.
Closer
Josephine
Color Me Evil
Michii
Vivaa
Ryusheika
vVintage
elli
Tiny

Confirmed Participants (11/11):

Rockets
noxious.
Closer
Josephine
Color Me Evil
Michii
Vivaa
Ryusheika
vVintage
elli
Tiny

For any further questions/suggestions, please send me a PM.

moments.
January 1st, 2009, 03:44 AM
I'd like to try this out, I was afraid of the last one because of the dimensions of the worm, but now that it is smaller, I have more confidence!
I'd like to sign up, but I am unsure as to whether I want to be first in line to do it, maybe could I be bumped down a bit? That is unless everyone really doesn't want to do it...

Sigh me up!

Rockéttes
January 1st, 2009, 03:49 AM
I've sent you an invitation. If you don't want to be first, I suggest you wait until more people have signed up to accept the invitation. Otherwise, I'll have to add your name to the list right next to mine.

moments.
January 1st, 2009, 03:51 AM
But if you are starting it, does that mean that you will make the first piece then I carry on from yours?
If so I am happy to do that. I meant I didn't want to be making the very first piece.

Rockéttes
January 1st, 2009, 03:55 AM
Alright, I should have specified that more clearly. Yes, I've already created the first piece. You have a week to make yours.

moments.
January 1st, 2009, 03:56 AM
Is that one week starting from the 7th when all the sign ups are completed?

Rockéttes
January 1st, 2009, 04:10 AM
No, that's one week starting now. I was originally going to start the one week time limit on the 7th, but seeing as you joined ten minutes after I created this thread, I thought it would be appropriate to start it now.

That, and the fact that you've already seen the first piece. If we waited until the 7th to start the time limit, you would've had two weeks to work on your banner while everyone else only would have had one.

Aizuke
January 1st, 2009, 04:14 AM
Oh huzzah, Artworm again. Count me in.

Counterfeit
January 1st, 2009, 04:49 AM
Go for it, I'll look back at the other to get an idea of what it is.

Rockéttes
January 1st, 2009, 04:52 AM
Invitations have been sent to Closer and Josephine.

Zebra Thunderhead
January 1st, 2009, 08:18 AM
I should be sent an invitation by default. ):<

Michii
January 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM
I'm in! This seems like great fun and a good way to improve my skill :33!

Rockéttes
January 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM
I should be sent an invitation by default. ):<

No CME, you're not good enough. ;p

I've sent invitations to both of you guys.

Renyui!
January 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM
I'll be in, if you'll accept me. ;D

Counterfeit
January 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
Are we really only going to have the height at 150px, or have I misread something? 0.o

Zebra Thunderhead
January 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM
The size should be 600 x 450 for an artworm piece... that is like regular tag size. What's challenging about that?

THIRTY-SIX
January 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Art-worms are meant to be like lps, height is way too small.

Ryusheika
January 1st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Count me in for this. I'll give it a shot, since I've never done an artworm before. Oh well, first time for everything, right? (:

Rockéttes
January 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
The reason I made the size 370x150 was because most people have problems with LP's. But, seeing as most of the people who've replied in this thread don't have an issue with LP's, I'll change the size.

UPDATE:

THE NEW SIZE FOR INDIVIDUAL PIECES IN THE TAG WILL BE 600X450, MAXIMUM 650x450 IF NEEDED.

Zebra Thunderhead
January 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM
There's more of a challenge in dealing with LPs. Blending tags doesn't take much thought or effort.

Rockéttes
January 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Exactly. And weren't we having issues blending the pieces last time? Lol, you commented like, every second post about how poorly we were blending. I'm not saying you were in the wrong by pushing us to "connect" a little better, but I thought maybe starting out with these small pieces would make things a little easier for everyone. Once we got the hang of it a little better, we could work our way up to LPs.

Zebra Thunderhead
January 2nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Are we supposed to use this thread for making fun of Rockets' piece discussion or should we use the group?

vVintage
January 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Id like to join in. Artworms are fun.

Rockéttes
January 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Are we supposed to use this thread for making fun of Rockets' piece discussion or should we use the group?

I'd rather this thread be used for discussion than the group, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Zebra Thunderhead
January 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Alright, was just checking. XD How's your piece coming along~?

Rockéttes
January 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Eh... It's coming. I got most of it finished this morning, and I'll finish the rest whenever the computer is free again (I don't have photoshop on my iPod).

elli
January 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
-raises hand- Elli wants in because Aurapostle told me to.

HURR. :B

Tiny
January 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
oo artworm
id like to join c:

Counterfeit
January 4th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Eh, I'll post it here too.

I'm guessing we start our piece when we receive the previous persons, right?

I don't want to be holding everyone up if not. xD

Zebra Thunderhead
January 4th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, Josephine. You start your piece when you receive the worm. Otherwise, how will it work? You cant post random pieces and hope it connects.

Counterfeit
January 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM
That's what I thought, I just didn't want to get it wrong is all.

Rockéttes
January 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah, Josephine. You start your piece when you receive the worm. Otherwise, how will it work? You cant post random pieces and hope it connects.
What she said.

Also, I've updated the worm with my piece. Yeah, I kind of ran out of ideas. :/ PMs have been sent, threads/groups have been updated, and all of that nonsense.

P.S.

An invitation has been sent to Tiny.

Zebra Thunderhead
January 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I'm excited to see how noxious continues your texture, aha.

moments.
January 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Yeah that is the bit I am dreading...
But I am almost finished the rainbow thing after my first encounter with the pen tool...

Tiny
January 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
i didnt get an invite o:

Zebra Thunderhead
January 4th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah that is the bit I am dreading...
But I am almost finished the rainbow thing after my first encounter with the pen tool...

You've never used the pen tool before? And you're in the advanced class?

Tiny, he's offline right now. XD He'll send you an invite when he gets online again.

Rockéttes
January 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
i didnt get an invite o:

Sorry, I invited the wrong user. :/ You've been sent your invitation.

Tiny
January 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM
haha its ok :D
got it now

Rockéttes
January 8th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Alright!

Well, yesterday was the last day to sign up (and due to internet issues, I was unable to post that). I won't be sending out any more invitations.

Rockéttes
January 11th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Due to problems with Photoshop, noxious. has decided it's best if we skip him this round and move on to the next person on the list. Closer, you're next!

Aizuke
January 11th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Oh lucky I fixed my photoshop today. XD;

I get to work on it. :3

moments.
January 11th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Yeah sorry about that guys, I will try and have my Photoshop up and running before the end of the week...

Counterfeit
January 11th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Hahaha, I came in wondering how Noxious carried on from yours.
This only builds the suspense more. xD

moments.
January 11th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Ehk, well I had done about 70% of my piece, but I have no idea how long it will take to fix the issues, so I didn't wanna be unfair on you guys.

Gunners
January 11th, 2009, 02:50 AM
ooh can i sign up please?

Counterfeit
January 11th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Alright!

Well, yesterday was the last day to sign up (and due to internet issues, I was unable to post that). I won't be sending out any more invitations.
Wednesday was the last day you could sign up, so I don't think so. :/

Rockéttes
January 11th, 2009, 05:13 AM
ooh can i sign up please?

As Josephine said, Wednesday was the last day. Sorry man.

Looking back, I'm going to be doing it a little differently next time. The time limit was a stupid idea. But unfortunately rules are rules, and if I break them for one person, I'd have the break them for all of you.

But hey, at least this gives you time to observe the whole process and figure out how this thing works, right? (Assuming this is your first Artworm, of course).

Zebra Thunderhead
January 11th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Time limits are good. Otherwise, people would have the worm forever and it'd get nowhere.

Gunners
January 11th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Kk just make sure you do another one soon ;)

moments.
January 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Oooh I have a question about this slug worm.
After everybody has done a piece and added it, are we going to start again so Rockets will add another piece to the end of it and we continue, or we each make one piece then cut the whole thing?

Counterfeit
January 11th, 2009, 05:06 PM
In the PC artworm thread made before there was a link to one made made some other people, they went round twice and on their second time they did "signing off" pieces.

I quite liked the idea, so if we do go round again I think we should do the same.

moments.
January 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM
That sounds cool, I guess it is up to Rockets but I am up for that idea!

Rockéttes
January 12th, 2009, 04:42 AM
This cycle will be repeated until the end of the list, at which time we’ll either call it quits or continue with the process, depending on how the Artworm is looking/how we’re feeling about it.
In other words, it's really up to you guys. If you feel that you don't like how this one is looking, then we'll start a new one. But if you think that we're off to a good start, we'll continue, y'know?

So at the end of each 'round' (once everyone on the list has gone once), we'll have a little vote to determine where we take it from there.

Aizuke
January 12th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Eh, I want to see at least one artworm fully done. XD;

But I guess that did that because they only had a few people? Ours would be mega long. :B

moments.
January 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM
You know what would be interesting to try out, sorta like a worm?
A worm, but you use smaller pieces, and you can place yours on any edge of the last one. So the starter makes a tag and puts it in the centre. Then the next person places it to one side of the starter. And when it is done, it is a collage of tags and creates a wall effect.

Zebra Thunderhead
January 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM
That would take a lot more blending than I'm sure most of us here are willing to put in. Not to mention it'd have a crap load of stocks and it'd be really chaotic. I just don't see it ending well.

moments.
January 12th, 2009, 03:04 PM
That probably is a wise decision to avoid it.
So Closer, how is your piece coming along?

Zebra Thunderhead
January 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM
She's just starting her piece.

moments.
January 12th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Oooh okie doke then.
Well my Photoshop is still not working, but I am going to take it into a Computer Shop tomorrow so it will be fixed soon.

Rockéttes
January 13th, 2009, 02:20 AM
You know what would be interesting to try out, sorta like a worm?
A worm, but you use smaller pieces, and you can place yours on any edge of the last one. So the starter makes a tag and puts it in the centre. Then the next person places it to one side of the starter. And when it is done, it is a collage of tags and creates a wall effect.

That would take a lot more blending than I'm sure most of us here are willing to put in. Not to mention it'd have a crap load of stocks and it'd be really chaotic. I just don't see it ending well.

Yeah, what she said. It's not a horrible idea, but the traditional 'worm' shape is a lot easier for artists to collaborate with one another on, seeing as you only have to worry about the piece directly in front of it instead of pieces coming from all directions. So yeah... no, sorry. ;p

Aizuke
January 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Oh so I finished my part guys. XD;

Do I upload it normally or?

Counterfeit
January 14th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I think you probably have to PM it to Rockets.

Also, I just thought I'd say that if anyone wants to go before me that's fine. I've just started my final exams (GCSE's) so it'd probably be best if I was a little further down the line.

Aizuke
January 15th, 2009, 01:18 AM
PM has been sent. (b'-')b

So I guess if Joey can't go, it's CME's turn?

Rockéttes
January 15th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Alright, Closer's piece has been completed and PMed to me. Here is a link to the Artworm so far:
http://fc87.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/015/c/e/PokeCommunity_Artworm_2009_V_2_by_PCArtworm2009.png

Joey says he might need to sit his turn out this time around, so we might be moving straight on to CME. I'm just awaiting a PM from him confirming this. Also, Closer's individual piece will be edited as soon as I receive it.

Aizuke
January 15th, 2009, 04:18 AM
PM sent~

And what do you mean by edit? o_O

Zebra Thunderhead
January 15th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Looks good, Malyka!

And yeah Rockets, what do you mean by edit?

EarthsVisitor
January 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Delete me, sorry.
I made a mistake, posted wrong place. :|

Counterfeit
January 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
You can do that yourself.

I PM'ed Rockets, but it seems he hasn't posted here yet.

I'll be after you CME, so you can start.

Rockéttes
January 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Yeah, what Joey said.

And I didn't mean I was going to edit Closer's piece, I just meant that I was going to link to it in that list... yeah. :/ Anyway, good luck CME.

Zebra Thunderhead
January 16th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Now that I only have RISD left to apply to and I'm not doing so until next weekend, I can start working on this bad boy! :B

Aizuke
January 17th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Bad choice of wording, Devon. XD

And I can't wait to see how you delt with my work, CME. XD;

moments.
January 20th, 2009, 04:02 PM
It has been a while... Color Me Evil, how are you going on your piece?
I can't wait to see the worm so far!

Counterfeit
January 20th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Three days isn't that long

Feeling pressured for time makes for a worse worm.

moments.
January 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Oh I didn't mean 'It's been a while, where is your piece CME?' I meant like this thread sorta died for a bit.

Zebra Thunderhead
January 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Contrary to popular belief, staff members do have a life!

moments.
January 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I was merely asking how you are going with your piece.
The comment I made has been written funny thus it is being interpreted wrongly.
I said, 'It has been a while' because nobody has said anything about the worm and the thread ended up at the bottom of Page 2. I didn't mean it like CME is taking a long time on her piece...
Sorry if it seemed like I was rushing you.

Zebra Thunderhead
January 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I wasn't mad, just stating why I haven't been active here. Trust me, I'd spam if I could.

moments.
January 20th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Ohh. Just out of curiousity, is there any deadline for one round of the worm? Or are we just going to go and finish it when we do?

Counterfeit
January 20th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I wasn't angry either, I guess a smiley should've been put in there somewhere.

I doubt there is a deadline.

Zebra Thunderhead
January 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Why put a time stamp on something that requires a lot of creative flow? I know it takes me a long time to get inspired to make something. Big projects like this are one of those times.

moments.
January 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Very true!
Also got my Photoshop fixed the other day so I am back in, I guess I will go to the back of the line unless somebody wants to skip or something... :x

Counterfeit
January 20th, 2009, 04:43 PM
You can go after CME instead of me, it's only fair.

moments.
January 20th, 2009, 04:45 PM
No you go I insist! You already missed out a turn, I can wait..

Counterfeit
January 20th, 2009, 04:48 PM
No, my life still isn't as empty as it could be.

It's not your choice any more. xD

moments.
January 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Actually it might be better for me because I have school starting next Friday so I have just under 2 weeks left of holidays.
You sure it is ok if I sneak ahead of you?

Counterfeit
January 20th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Go for it, only sensible if you're not at school and I am.

EarthsVisitor
January 20th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I'll be more than glad to enter, I've been in a worm twice.
I'd find the worms, but they seem to no longer be hosted.

moments.
January 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Eh it does say that invitations are closed for this worm so you can wait until the first round is over and then ask Rockets if you can join.

Rockéttes
January 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
I'll be more than glad to enter, I've been in a worm twice.
I'd find the worms, but they seem to no longer be hosted.

As noxious. said, the invitations have already been sent; you'll have to wait until the next round. Read the rules next time, yeah?

EarthsVisitor
January 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
As noxious. said, the invitations have already been sent; you'll have to wait until the next round. Read the rules next time, yeah?

I did, I knew invitations were closed, I was just wondering if you still wanted some help.
Doesn't hurt to ask? :]

Then wait I will.
If you need someone, let me know.

Rockéttes
January 24th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Hey, only one day late!

CME's finished her piece. I guess... noxious. is up now? Good luck!

Zebra Thunderhead
January 24th, 2009, 01:52 PM
|: I have a life. Better late than never.

Rockéttes
January 24th, 2009, 04:28 PM
... I meant I was late updating the thread. You were actually on time, I think.

Zebra Thunderhead
January 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Oh :B I wasn't keeping track of how much time I had left. :B

Aizuke
February 1st, 2009, 05:28 AM
So.. Who's turn was it, .noxious, no?

Does he actually know it's his turn or..?

Zebra Thunderhead
February 1st, 2009, 10:59 AM
Personally, I think we should just keep noxious and Jos for the end, since, no offense, they kinda botched everything up.

Counterfeit
February 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Me? I was just being polite.

Zebra Thunderhead
February 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM
But now people are confused about the order.

Counterfeit
February 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM
Not really; Malyka knew it was noxious, you haven't said you were confused.

Have you any evidence that Noxious doesn't know?

Zebra Thunderhead
February 1st, 2009, 11:41 AM
She seems to know it's Noxious, but it sounds as if she isn't 100% on it.

It doesn't matter to me whose turn it is, but you two should probably clear it up.

Counterfeit
February 1st, 2009, 11:45 AM
There's nothing clean up, just read back and you can see it's noxious' turn.

Loki
February 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Would it kill someone to just drop noxious a visitor message?

Seriously, even if he knows, it's not like he's going to drop dead if you remind him. <_<

Rockéttes
February 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM
I've already sent him like, three PMs. Whatever; ya snooze, ya lose. His times up. Josephine, your go.

Counterfeit
February 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Sure thing, I'll start right away. - Edit -
...they kinda botched everything up.Go ahead and shoot me; I've been ill up until today, and now I'm too busy.

Michii
February 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'm still alive, by the way. The artworm looks good so far! Ahhh.

Feel better, Josephine! :3