PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger DS

RedJ
January 1st, 2009, 02:51 PM
I picked this game up yesterday, since I'd heard a lot about it over the years. In fact, I wanted to get it for the longest time, but I couldn't since every time I saw the SNES version or the PS1 version, they were uber expensive- at least $50. So since I had the money, I decided to get it before it ended up bing as rare as the other versions of it.

And this game is amazing.

I'm only four hours into it (didnt get to play it much due to New Years festivities xD) and I love it. And for a DS game, the game is beautiful. All the original anime scenes are still in the game, and the grapics are amazing even without them.

It cost $40, but it's worth it- you'll be playing it a LONG time. Why, you may ask? Because there are 13- count'em, 13, different endings, all determined by your actions in the game. And even if there wasnt, the game is still amazing, though the price may need to be reduced a tad if that were the case. And with a great story, you should still want to play it after you get one of them.

I do wish that the sequel, Chrono Cross, would be remade for the DS, but since it was originally released on the PS1, thats about as likely as a Final Fantasy VII remake for the DS.

So, if you havent picked this game up, DO IT. NOW.

And for those who have, what are your opinions on the game?

Shiraishi
January 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Awesome game is awesome. I'm not too far in but I'm loving the blend of turn-based/real time gameplay.

Persona
January 1st, 2009, 03:23 PM
I always heard that it was one of the best RPG games ever made. I have to be honest that I never actually finished the SNES game, but I’m glad I gave the DS version a chance. This is probably my sixth time replaying it, so I can easily say it's very addictive. I'm currently trying to get all the possible endings for completion. And I agree that they should’ve reduced the price a bit, since the DS game was a port rather than a full remake.

I did appreciate the extra content though, however there was one sidequest that personally pissed me off. Honestly, that was the most tedious sidequest I’ve ever played through. D: However, I did enjoy playing through the second quest that included the extra ending, since it was linked to the game’s sequel. I just wish that most RPGs would have as much content and originality as Chrono Trigger had. I'm wishing for a Chrono Cross remake as well, though I doubt we'll be getting one too soon. ._.

Zorua
January 1st, 2009, 03:31 PM
I've played the SNES game, though like Seifer, I've never actually finished it. I'm also glad I've gotten the DS remake. To be honest with you, it actually made me start playing my DS again, and for long periods of time. If you want a long-lasting RPG for the DS, I highly recommend you play Chrono Trigger. Especially since it has 13 endings and for the fact that you lose like almost nothing after you start each new game, the fun just never ends.

The sidequests and all can be a tad difficult, but that's the challenging part; and of course all of us like challenges, right? This game had me hooked for hours and hours and honestly, I've never played a single game(at least on handheld)for as long as I've had Chrono Trigger. Reliving the best RPG on handheld is truly an honour. I also hope that someday, there will be a Chrono Cross for the DS, but I'm afraid that will be highly unlikely.

RedJ
January 1st, 2009, 05:11 PM
I've played the SNES remake, though like Seifer, I've never actually finished it. I'm also glad I've gotten the DS remake. To be honest with you, it actually made me start playing my DS again, and for long periods of time. If you want a long-lasting RPG for the DS, I highly recommend you play Chrono Trigger. Especially since it has 13 endings and for the fact that you lose like almost nothing after you start each new game, the fun just never ends.

The sidequests and all can be a tad difficult, but that's the challenging part; and of course all of us like challenges, right? This game had me hooked for hours and hours and honestly, I've never played a single game(at least on handheld)for as long as I've had Chrono Trigger. Reliving the best RPG on handheld is truly an honour. I also hope that someday, there will be a Chrono Cross for the DS, but I'm afraid that will be highly unlikely.
Well, actually, the SNES version was the original, not a remake xD

But I agree about the sidequests. Plus, they bring players who've beaten previous versions of the game back to it so they can go through the DS exclusive sidequests. And this game has gotten me to play my DS more. I had been playing Pokemon Pearl, but eventully had to start a new game and I havent been interested in it since. And since I've basically beaten FFIII and Digimon Dawn (the only other DS games I have besides Pokemon and now CT), I hadnt been playing my DS much. And now I have something to do on the long bus ride home once school starts back, since I'm sure with 13 different endings, I wont be done with this game for a long time. Perhaps it'l keep us all satisified until Pokemon Platinum (and for me, personally, Dragon Quest V, whih is also supposedly a long and very entertaining game) comes out.

Zorua
January 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Well, actually, the SNES version was the original, not a remake xD

I know that, it was just a typo that I made suddenly without paying attention.

RedJ
January 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM
I know that, it was just a typo that I made suddenly without paying attention.
haha, its all right, I thought that may have been the case, just thought I'd bring that up in case by some small chance it wasnt.

Astinus
January 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM
I love Chrono Trigger. I was way too young to actually play the SNES version well, and I never got a chance to pick up the PS1 remake, so I'm glad that I got the DS version.

Chrono Trigger is a very addicting game. I love the fact that it's so open, depending on the choices you make during the storyline. With the thirteen different endings, there are so many different ways to play the same story but get a new result.

The animated cut scenes are a plus. Since I never played the PS1 version, this was my first time seeing them. And they show the familiar characters in a new way.

I haven't played it in a few days, but now I feel like picking it up again and getting a bit farther.

Mario The World Champion
January 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
I played the SNES version when it came out and me and my friend both enjoyed the game very much. When I heard that it was coming out on the DS, I knew I'd have to get it.

Um, about the endings... I do recall that there were over 20 different endings to the game if you go to the final battle in certain points in the game.