• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question about chapter posting.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I have written a fic that I am planning to put here on PokeCom (fwee for word shortening). On the one other site I have posted the fic on, I had decided to post a new chapter every Friday, but I just realized that was a pretty stupid idea. Since I can't recall the exact time it took me to write each chapter, what do you guys think is a good timeframe between chapter posting?

Breezy

Eee.
Years
Weekly postings are fine. Why don't you think they are lol?

A common turn off for a reader (at least what I think) is a chapter after chapter after chapter after chapter post, and I mean that as you post one hour, wait another hour, then post your next one. Two or three chapters in a row is fine, but going five+ is pushing it. Give your reader a break and time to digest what you have written.

If you already have a good number of chapters written, I suggest posting two or three times a week with a few day intervals in between (like post on Monday then post your next chapter on Wednesday or Thursday). If you only have five or so chapters, I'd go with one or two posts a week. Not only are you not overwhelming your audience, but this also gives you a chance to have new chapters out when you have run out of old chapters to post.

Yeah, I know. If you do get feedback, you do want to post your next chapter straight away. Be patient, young grasshopper. :P

bobandbill

one more time
Years
At the very least a good few days between each chapter, but a week is a good timeframe to use, IMO. That way, it gives readers time to read without having too much thrown at them at one go (which is what happens if you post too often - a chapter a day keeps the readers away... from too much to read in a little space of time :P), and it's not too long a wait either. Many a fic had suffered from chapters being posted too darn quickly.

You don't have to stick to the 'Fridays-only' thing as you've mentioned, but it isn't that bad an idea in itself anyway. But being a day or two before or after a week is fine and there's no real need to be exact anyway. You can also use the week-gap to give your chapters another proof-read and do minor touch-ups, if you want as well.

And welcome to PC - the laziest yet often-used name-shortening for this place. :)

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Yes, I've got just about the whole story. :3 Thanks for answering.

Also, thanks for the welcoming, B&B. (Do you mind if I call you that? x3) I've seen PC used a lot, but it reminds me a lot of Pokemon Centers and... well... PCs, so I use PokeCom instead. It sounds cooler. xD

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
well wat if u write a chap every few days and post it immediatly after ur done writin and correctin and stuff. is that to soon, should u wait to post evn i fuve written

Breezy

Eee.
Years
well wat if u write a chap every few days and post it immediatly after ur done writin and correctin and stuff. is that to soon, should u wait to post evn i fuve written
If it's taking you a few days to write a chapter, you can post immediately after you write (assuming you proofread and whatnot ;P) since you took the time and effort to post a decent chapter. If you're pumping new chapters out every few hours, you're probably rushing and should take the time to look over what you have written.

The original poster was asking about posting already written chapters anyway.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Actually, I think it's good to have always at least two chapters written. Not only the next one, but the one after that as well. So, you know, you're one chapter ahead of your readers. That way it's a lot easier to keep the style and characters consistent and also to make changes in a chapter after you've written it but before you post it. Generally I've noticed that a few days is a tad too soon to post a new chapter. Many of your readers might not get to reading the chapter in a day or two, and when another new chapter appears before they read the last one, it starts to get pressuring.

You can still write a chapter every couple of days, just wait a bit before you post it. I had my first fic finished on my computer weeks before I actually posted the last bit! That way an unlucky writer's block that might hit you won't affect your readers ^-^

That won't be a problem to the original poster, though, because she has already written the whole thing. (What's wrong with Fridays? It's the perfect day because Saturday and Sunday come after it and people actually have the time to read!)

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I'm not sure whether it's the Friday thing or the fact that I've faced my share of three chapters being posted in a row, one week after another with no comments. x3 I'm judging that that's not likely to happen here. But I've gone over the whole thing and polished it - plus, I generally get things done quickly. I only have one or two chapters left to write, so i think I might face more of a 'Revising Block' than 'Writer's Block'.

Bay

Years
Revising Block? You're telling me. XD Seriously though, I actually finished the first drafts of "Nothing, Everything" a few weeks before I posted the first chapter. True, I could have finished posting that story already (before planned to have it all posted before I start my junior year, but that didn't go well), but the thing is I have betas look over the chapters and also I have been very busy that I haven't gotten time to revise the chapters. -_-

Anyways though, yeah like everyone else, take one quick look at the chapters before posting them and you don't need to be strict on the Friday updates. Good luck!

Back