PDA

View Full Version : Will You Be Getting a DSi?

Capt. Couch
January 4th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Nintendo's new DS model will be released outside of Japan in quarter four of 2009; North Americans can expect to find them stacking shelves around the holiday season. It is noted for having several new features including SD card support for music, a Wii Shop Channel-like store and a camera.

I myself won't be grabbing one. A camera and SD card support won't be enough to convince me to line up for one. I have an R4 cartridge which already supports media with an application called Moonshell, and I can use my regular camera (a little old-fashioned, but still functional) to take pictures. I was also never a big fan of WiiWare-like games to begin with, so downloadable applications won't influence my decision either.

The DSi doesn't have slot-2 (GBA) cartridge support too, which means no GBA games, no importing Pokémon to your Diamond/Pearl cartridge, no Guitar Hero, no rumble pak, no cache expansion bay, and no general extension support.

That's just my two cents. I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the system, I'm just stating my reasons against buying one.

flight
January 4th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Are you kidding me?

First of all, I have plenty of cameras, so I could take pictures of myself whenever necessary. I don't need to pay over two hundred bucks for something that I already have, right? I mean, honestly, I imagine it as a DS with extra features except with a price this time: the GBA cartridge. If it, somehow, say would play all DS, GBA, and GB games, then I'd perhaps be considering grabbing one, but at the moment, it's seriously lacking, at least in my opinion.

It looks nice, but looks alone can't grab me away.

Volkner's Apprentice
January 4th, 2009, 06:07 PM
^---Ditto. It's just a meh upgrade compared to the Regular Ds ---> Lite. I can do all those things with my phone, plus I feel like my Lite is brand new, it'd be waste to spend that much.

Fenrir Reki
January 4th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I probably will, since it can also be usued as a camera. Even though it doesn't have double slots, I can just use a regular DS lite for that.

You're Gonna Go Far Kid!
January 4th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Possibly.My Ds's hinge broke so the screen doesn't stay put,it flops back :|
If there's a deal at Gamestop where I can bring in my lite and get a discount i'm definitely getting it.I hardly play gameboy games anyways...

It'll be like a PSP,except with way better games :D

Eon-Rider
January 5th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I'm only buying a DSi if the SD slot gets hacked, if it can run custom firmware like the PSP and there are amazing games only for it, which I doubt. If not, I'm sticking to my DS Lite.

Chaostorm
January 5th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I Still have my DS Lite. but if i got Enough Money. i Would Buy DSi. it Has lots of Great Functions! its Like A PSP rival

Akeraz
January 5th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I'll say yes for now, but it depends entirely on what it has for offer. Since it'll have SD card compatibility, will this mean we'll be able to take in-game screenshots on games like we can on the wii? if so, this'll be pretty awesome. The whole camera thing seems like a good idea, and downloadables make this seem pretty cool as well. And if there's an update to the wireless compatibility of the DS [I.E. It accepts WPA as well as WEP for your security settings] Then this will be a must-buy for me.

An-chan
January 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
A PSP rival? PSP is the crappy rival to DS in my opinion :laugh: But that's just because I'm a weird Nintendo fangirl.

Anyway, I won't be buying a DSi because it's region locked. That way I can't take advantage of dollar's bad situation and buy cheap games from the US anymore. I also couldn't buy games from Japan. And what's with the removed GBA slot? Clearly the whole device is an attempt to convert PSPists to DS-people with improved processing powers and even more features that PSP doesn't have.

I love my DS Lite and I'm going to stick with it! Although, it'll be a problem when some new game comes out only on DSi... What'll I do then? Pay several hundred euros just to buy the thing for one game? Luckily, my boyfirend is thinking of buying the thing when it comes out...

Razer302
January 5th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I won't be getting a DSi. I lost interest in it as soon as I found out it doesn't have the GBA slot. That to me is a must as I still play some of my older games like Lord of the Rings on GBA. Also with it being region locked means I won't be able to import games early and have to wait ages till the UK gets them. So to me the DSi would be a waste of money as it has nothing that I really need.

devilicious
January 5th, 2009, 09:22 AM
If anything, I'll be getting a new DS Lite.

I can't live without a GBA Slot, sorry Nintendo.

Slimer
January 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM
For better or for worse I skipped on the DSlite so I will definitely be getting a DSi.

Mitchman
January 5th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Nope. I will only if the DS arcade turns out to be kind of like a virtual console for game boy.

SamusPrime
January 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I will be getting one.
A. I don't have a camera(or aphone for that matter)
B. I never EVER play on my GBA games and have completed pokedex so no need for migration. No, I don't have guitar hero or rumble pack or whatever either.

And yes Mitchman is, It will be. I've read every word on the internet and magazines about this console and I will be getting one even though it'll probs be about £250.

Mitchman
January 5th, 2009, 11:23 AM
`Uh actually the DS arcade isnt even known about for most people. Its on a list of DS/Dsi trademars that were found by ngamer. So until light is shed onto to the trademarks its unknown what it is. Anyway forgot bout my Guitar Hero. With that i say nope!

Haza
January 5th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Yep. For my Bday or next Christmas when the red one is released.

Nuke
January 5th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I might, I was considering getting a red Lite even though I have a red Phat until this was announced.

If it gets a virtual console like wii and gets G/S/C then its sold.

Honest
January 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Probably. Along with it i might get PKMN Platinum, and ill give my old ds to my sis.

fer
January 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Of course I will purchase it,if I have the money to get it by then,when it's released.

Dixie Kong
January 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm going to sound like an old crap when I say "No, I'mma stick with my orginal blue DS."

I gots to has mah GBA slot. Gotta, gotta! And if I do choose to udgrade, I'll be getting a black DS Lite. Or some colored DS Lite...I dunno. Maybe not. I'll just steal my sister's. She never plays it anyway.

Fox♠
January 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
A PSP rival? PSP is the crappy rival to DS in my opinion :laugh: But that's just because I'm a weird Nintendo fangirl.

Anyway, I won't be buying a DSi because it's region locked. That way I can't take advantage of dollar's bad situation and buy cheap games from the US anymore. I also couldn't buy games from Japan. And what's with the removed GBA slot? Clearly the whole device is an attempt to convert PSPists to DS-people with improved processing powers and even more features that PSP doesn't have.

What features would they be? An inconveniently sized memory card and more gimmicky games? I'd rather my PSP remained without those thanks.

DSi is the worst move Nintendo could of made, without a doubt. To blatantly base their "new" (and I use the word lightly) handheld on an already unsuccessful rival is an idiotic choice. Especially when Nintendo charge more than the rival even though the rival handheld has superior technology and a growing fanbase of homebrewers.

And yes Mitchman is, It will be. I've read every word on the internet and magazines about this console and I will be getting one even though it'll probs be about £250.

So it costs roughly double the price of a PSP slim, more than a 360, more than a Wii and nearly as much as PS3 even though it is a haphazardly conceived upgrade?

Alistair
January 5th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I will be getting one, but not for the reasons everyone else is. For one I absolutely hated the triggers of the DS Lite, though I liked the face buttons. The opposite goes for the original DS: poor face buttons, but good triggers. It appears (to me, at least) that they combined the best of both worlds on the DSi. I know this sounds stupid, but I like using buttons and triggers that don't suck.

@FoxHound!: That is the person's estimated amount, likely using the current import rates (which are completely absurd, if you ask me) as a base for the official release price. It will likely be lower than that.

Sora_8920
January 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Probably not after the features I saw on another forum.

Gerri Shin
January 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM
nope. I'm fine with a DS lite for now. I cannot think of anything that would require me to get one. I'll probably wait for the second handheld after the DSI before I even really buy another handheld again TBH.

Persona
January 5th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I won’t be considering this. Nintendo has now jumped on the bandwagon of attempting to appeal to everyone at once. Why buy the same thing that seems more like a downgrade? A gimmicky low pixel camera and slightly larger screen cannot justify someone's purchase at $180.

This all seems like a wasted opportunity to me, but it depends on what Nintendo does with it. I'm not really hopeful given how crap WiiWare has been lately, but there's potential in the downloads. Unfortunate that the battery life suffers - it's one of the DS's strongest selling points. As it is, I'll give the system a year and see if anything interesting comes out of it.

And as for the removal of the GBA cartridge, I didn’t think it was a bad move at all. If I really felt like that was a big loss, then I’d just play those games on the original DS.

It looks nice, but looks alone can't grab me away.

I find it ugly-looking compared to the Lite. :x

SethCullen
January 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Most Likely Not.

Im only keeping my DS so i can get platinum. Thats it.

Optiimus
January 5th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Why would you?
a camera? so what? hardly anyone likes photos. and no gba slot 2? then its just camera and ds?
and the SD? there making you pay like 100 bucks extra for evrything a normal ds has. just buy an M3 Simply Or an R4

Ninja Caterpie
January 5th, 2009, 04:14 PM
No. Hell no. My old DS has lasted me two and a quarter years - it'll last me more than that.

Even though I recently dropped it on a wooden floor and cracked part of the joining part between the top and bottom screens. Stupid design... >.<

moments.
January 5th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I highly doubt it.
I don't use my DS that much but I am getting back into it. I still have the old silver one, but when the DSi comes out, the prices on DS Lites will drop like crazy. So I might just get a Lite when the DSi comes out.

Nickybo
January 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I will be getting one. My old DS went missing 2 years ago, so I've been without one for a while.

Gummy
January 5th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I was going to buy a DS Lite until I heard about this and now I plan on buying a DSi instead. I won't be using the Pal Park for Pokemon Platinum anyway and I have no gba games to play. Also because I absolutely need to own all Nintendo handhelds.

>Feelings<
January 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM
DSi = DS + some new worthless features - GBA slot and good graphics.
So, nope. I'm not gonna get a modified version of DS where the good features are removed and stupid cameras are added which I probably won't even touch.
The GBA slot is important not only for playing old GBA games, but also linking games and making things work like the transfer in diamond/pearl.
However, I did hear of a limited edition of DSi with a gba slot - which would be the only good buy, provided you don't have any other DS.

Beckie
January 6th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I don't know. Seriously, I don't knooow! ;____;

I really want one, but I still want the GBA-port. I hate playing GBA-games at the SP.
My boyfriend is gonna sell his DSlite and get the DSi, so I think I'll just borrow his when I wanna try it out.
(On the other hand, I could just get a DSi too and have them BOTH but it feels retarded to have two just because of DSlite's GBA-port)

Rawr ;_; I voted for "No" anyway.

_Prince_
January 6th, 2009, 03:58 AM

I love my DS Lite and I'm going to stick with it! Although, it'll be a problem when some new game comes out only on DSi... What'll I do then? Pay several hundred euros just to buy the thing for one game? Luckily, my boyfirend is thinking of buying the thing when it comes out...

Uh the games aren't region locked. You can play any region DS/DSi games on any region DSi systems.

Yeah I'll be getting the DSi, I've been hearing the release date is around spring for EU, lets hope so it's true.

Mario The World Champion
January 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Sorry, Nintendo. No GBA slot, no interest from me.

Like a few other people said, I'll stick with my DS Lite, thank you very much.

moments.
January 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I am changing my decision to a maybe. If they are not too expensive, or I have nothing else to get for my birthday or christmas, I might get one. The camera would be fun for a day, but then probably useless...

Vernikova
January 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM
The DS will be old when the DSi comes out. This really pushes me to get the DSi when it comes out. I don't really care about a GBA slot because I don't play any GBA games anymore.

Jorah
January 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM
It's a bit smaller, has a bit bigger screen and has a low quality camera. Doesn't seem worth spending £99+ when I have something that plays exactly the same games. I can't ever be bothered to charge up my GBA SP so I play my GBA games on my DS.

The Exorcist
January 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM
No way, I've got all my music/video needs with my R4DS and also no GBA slot, sorry DSi, you've lost me.

True Reign
January 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Yes, I will.

I'll just keep my GameBoy Micro for the occasional Pokemon Emerald playtime.

Guillermo
January 6th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I see no real need. It's got some awesome ideas, but if it doesn't have a GBA cartridge then... stuff it. Besides, I don't play DS anymore. The only reason I'm keeping it is for Platinum when it comes out in English.

Caelus
January 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Maybe, just maybe.

If it's cheap enough then sure, but the lack of a GBA slot kind of lost me.
I guess I can get it just so I can complete my Nintendo collection.

Emii
January 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
No. No no no no. the only, and ONLY way I would buy it is if they made games only playable on it. And they'd have to be games I liked, too.

But other than that, no. I don't have a GBA SP anymore, so my DS is the only thing I can play GBA games on.

RYOUKI
January 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Erm, I can't understand some of the features, and a camera is pretty nifty (If I didn't have my cellphone with me) but i'm pretty sure that I'll be getting one.

Archer
January 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Uh the games aren't region locked. You can play any region DS/DSi games on any region DSi systems.

Yeah I'll be getting the DSi, I've been hearing the release date is around spring for EU, lets hope so it's true.

Correction - DS Games are not Region coded, however the DSi games are planned to be. Besides, you can only access the Nintendo Store with a DS in it's home region, so it will be a pain to take on holidays...

I'm not going to bother. The hardware is essentially the same, meaning we won't receive more advanced games, just more of the same. It's not really a big upgrade from the DS lite and most of the new 'features', aside from the camera, are available as DS Homebrew.

s0nido
January 10th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Uh, no. It'd be great for those people new to the gaming world, but for me, I wouldn't take it. Nintendo's trying to aim its products to the rest of the world rather than targeting hardcore gamers. They think it will yield more money if they do. I would rather stick to my DS Lite, my R4 and my 7 MP Digital Camera. What can you do with 0.3 MP? Taking a photo of a UFO would be a breeze wouldn't it?

Nintendo really has to please everyone, because they are starting to lose many of their dedicated customers. A DSi with a decent camera and a GBA slot would be perfect for me, though.

Evilyn
January 10th, 2009, 03:09 AM
No, it seems like a waste of money to me. It does pretty much the same thing as my DS Lite. The fact that it doesn't have the GBA slot hurts too much and I already have a camera. Besides, would anyone even use the DSi camera?

Armaina
January 10th, 2009, 03:21 AM
There's nothing about the DSi's features that I actually find it worth getting. The larger screens, eh not that big of a deal. And all the other features are not features I want with my -gaming- system. It really just seems like it was an attempt to make something that could attract people that wanted the PSP.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is for a price drop on the DS lite.. so I can upgrade my original DS that I've had for a while now.

Ayano Katagiri
January 10th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I probably would have got one if I didn't just get my DS lite fixed for a semi-reasonable price. But I wouldn't have used most of the features anyway to be honest. Except maybe the music part since I don't have an actual MP3 player.

Gunners
January 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Probably not my DS original one does the job fine. I'd want one but as long as my currant one is fine ill stick with it.

Wulf
January 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Of course! But it's pretty low on my Buy-List. Who cares about the lack of a GBA slot, I still have my GBA, works great, pluse I hate how GBA games looked on the DS. Camera looks kinda iffy, but what I'm looking at is that swell market place it comes with. I think it's gonna be the bees knees.

Kazukii
January 10th, 2009, 01:33 PM
If it has some good looking games on it then yeah probably.

Unforgettable
January 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
It's a waste of money IMO. I could care less about the camera and stuff. I won't get one until my DS Lite dies and I can't find it anymore. XD

GKS
January 10th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Wait for another year or two, and they will come out with something even better.