PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Name Mistakes [ English Names ]

Dizzy
October 30th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Do you think that Some pokemon are named wrong? Have you ever wondered where they got the name from? Please Explain your answers.

Timbjerr
October 30th, 2003, 06:22 PM
I actually know almost all of the English name origins except for a few

Gengar is one that I've pondered for hours on end...

Marisa
October 30th, 2003, 06:35 PM
I think Gengar's Japanese name was Gengaa, which was translated to Gengar.. but I'm not sure. x_X I could be wrong.

Igglybuddy
October 31st, 2003, 12:07 PM
A lot of the incomprehensible names are direct romanizations of Japanese names...Gengar and Lapras, for example. In my opinions, those tend to be the better names... anyway, one that kind of annoys me is "Manectric". I mean...th' heck? What was wrong with Raibolt? Whatever. Same with Kyogre. It's not an ogre, it's a WHALE. Hence the "orga" (orca) in japanese. Meh.

jynx
November 2nd, 2003, 10:41 AM
A lot of the incomprehensible names are direct romanizations of Japanese names...Gengar and Lapras, for example. In my opinions, those tend to be the better names... anyway, one that kind of annoys me is "Manectric". I mean...th' heck? What was wrong with Raibolt? Whatever. Same with Kyogre. It's not an ogre, it's a WHALE. Hence the "orga" (orca) in japanese. Meh.
Exactly! And "Kai" means ocean!
Why would they ever change it?

Besides, Satoshi Tajiri himself had made English names for Pokemon, then he use Japanese characters to fix the sounds.
BUT WHY DO USA HAVE TO INVENT THEIR OWN NAMES??????????

Gengar003
November 9th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Cuz the big companies think they're "better" than the Japanese ones.
(IMHO)

jynx
November 12th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Cuz the big companies think they're "better" than the Japanese ones.
(IMHO)
But nearly everyone thinks that it is "worse" than Japanese name.

And, why do they give me such a horrible name?
I thought thatルージュラ sometimes is a lucky Pokemon.
Remeber that Misty's "Princess Dolls"<----ANOTHER BAD NAME!
It is "Luck Dolls" in Japanese, and one of them is ルージュラ!

Gengar003
November 12th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately, it's the big companies that import Japanese products (Pokmon, Yugioh, etc) that get to choose the english names.

And they generally butcher it. They should have a team of kids working on it...

And if everyone thinks the names aren't too good, but like the idea. (Kyogre, above...)

They still buy the games/products, and the guys at the top who choose the new names, or whether or not to give new names never notice....

All they see is empty shelves needing to be refilled.

Iveechan
November 12th, 2003, 11:00 PM
I dislike Blaziken... it has an unoriginal ring to it. I've seen Roosterno suggested, but that's not the best name since Burysamo can be female. I liked Griferno myself. Ah well. Flamiken XD

Poochyena and Mightyena have been terribly butchered. For one, Pochiena is not a hyena reference (hyenas aren't even canine!), it was a reference to pooch and chien. Mightyena just looks and sounds stupid. Before the english name was known, people called it Greyna, semi-romanized from Guraena. Not the best name but still sounds better than Mightyena ;P. The english names should have had something to do with lupine this or wolf that. They're not freakin' hyenas -_-;

jynx
November 13th, 2003, 10:41 AM
I dislike Blaziken... it has an unoriginal ring to it. I've seen Roosterno suggested, but that's not the best name since Burysamo can be female. I liked Griferno myself. Ah well. Flamiken XD

Poochyena and Mightyena have been terribly butchered. For one, Pochiena is not a hyena reference (hyenas aren't even canine!), it was a reference to pooch and chien. Mightyena just looks and sounds stupid. Before the english name was known, people called it Greyna, semi-romanized from Guraena. Not the best name but still sounds better than Mightyena ;P. The english names should have had something to do with lupine this or wolf that. They're not freakin' hyenas -_-;
Well, Poochyena is just similar to the Japanese name, but Mightyena?

zapdos47
November 18th, 2003, 01:58 PM
I've wondered about Articuno, it's not really a birdy kinda name :P

Gengar003
November 18th, 2003, 03:11 PM
I've wondered about Articuno, it's not really a birdy kinda name :P
I'm not sure about the japanese versions, but Articuno, along with the other two birds, are a large play on words, using spanish. In spanish,
1 = uno
2 = dos
3 = tres.

Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres

See?

Frostweaver
November 18th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Well, Poochyena is just similar to the Japanese name, but Mightyena?

supposedly, a "mighty" "hyena"... but let what Iveechan pointed out already... it's not a hyena, and sadly it's not mighty too.

Hakudoushi-kun
November 18th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Exactly! And "Kai" means ocean!
Why would they ever change it?

Besides, Satoshi Tajiri himself had made English names for Pokemon, then he use Japanese characters to fix the sounds.
BUT WHY DO USA HAVE TO INVENT THEIR OWN NAMES??????????

well, mainly because it's easier to remember english/latin words in names since that's what's spoken in america

Frostweaver
November 18th, 2003, 08:48 PM
well, mainly because it's easier to remember english/latin words in names since that's what's spoken in america

last time i checked everyone remembers Lugia. Everyone remembers Togepi. What? But... aren't they japanese? *cough cough*

jynx
November 19th, 2003, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure about the japanese versions, but Articuno, along with the other two birds, are a large play on words, using spanish. In spanish,
1 = uno
2 = dos
3 = tres.

Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres

See?
Wow! I know some Spainish now!
But why 1,2,3?

Iveechan
November 19th, 2003, 01:44 AM
That's the order they appear in the Pokedex... plus the names sound pretty cool. I remember Nintendo Power joked and said there was a fourth bird named Squawtro (squawk and cuatro) or something like that.

Sableye. Sable is a collie color. Unless there's another meaning for sable, this name makes little sense.

punkie90
November 19th, 2003, 04:19 AM
ya, well i like that order.. y didn't they have a forth bird, or dog!

zapdos47
November 19th, 2003, 04:21 AM
1 = uno
2 = dos
3 = tres.

Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres

See?

OH! I never noticed that! :classic:

punkie90
November 19th, 2003, 04:23 AM
i know! i don't look that close at things like that! *maybe i should *

jynx
November 19th, 2003, 10:07 AM
i know! i don't look that close at things like that! *maybe i should *
See, Gengar really has a high IQ.

Rift
November 19th, 2003, 10:33 PM
ya, well i like that order.. y didn't they have a forth bird, or dog!If they did another bird it would be: Iveequatro! :laugh:

Igglybuddy
November 21st, 2003, 04:30 PM
That's the order they appear in the Pokedex... plus the names sound pretty cool. I remember Nintendo Power joked and said there was a fourth bird named Squawtro (squawk and cuatro) or something like that.

Sableye. Sable is a collie color. Unless there's another meaning for sable, this name makes little sense.

Hehe, I called Ho-oh "Psyatro" in my first-ever pokemon 'fic...that was a LONG time ago. RBY-days, oh yeah.

Anyway, "sable" is commonly used to refer to animals with black pelts...sable mice, sable ferrets, etc...an actual "sable" is a type of marten as far as I know. *shrugs*

Iveechan
November 21st, 2003, 05:20 PM
See, Gengar really has a high IQ.

It doesn't take someone with a high IQ to notice the spanish number references. Sable is also a term for the commonly seen brown collies with white markings.

Frostweaver
November 21st, 2003, 05:51 PM
Sable-

1) adj- dark (in terms of color or lack of light)
2) adj- scary, frightening
3) n- clothes that you wear in funerals

makes a lot of sense to me...

Iveechan
November 21st, 2003, 06:05 PM
Funny, I've only seen sable used for collies. Ah well, you live and you learn...

jynx
November 25th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Sometimes I do find that Pokemon names are made out of really biological words.
And we use these stuff to memorize them:
"A Tentacruel has a lot of tentacles."
"Omanyte is an Ammonyte."
"A Pinsir has a pair of pincers on its head."
Because Hong Kong secondary schools teach in English.

Frostweaver
November 25th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Yes that is how most of the words are made of too...

"Weedle"- needle
"Caterpie"- caterpillar
"Metapod"- metamorphsis (or metal for its "supposedly" hard shell... thought it's weak in defense) + pod
"Deoxy"- DNA

The list goes on and on...

Rift
November 25th, 2003, 04:43 PM
they use to literal names, ill probly grow wings if they have an original name! but i still dont know about the Regis! :D

Frostweaver
November 25th, 2003, 04:53 PM
regi means king... so it's "king of ice" "king of steel" and "king of rock", saying that they're the superior of their type.

Rift
November 25th, 2003, 05:05 PM
ooohhhh!!! i understand! but what does Haryama mean?

Frostweaver
November 25th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Hariyama? i didn't really look into that one... it's either romanization, or named after a real person in japan (related to sumo wrestling too most likely).

Pokemon likes to name themselves after people too, such as "Jessie James" the famous theif in USA, or Musashi Miyamoto the famous samurai where Jessie and her mother got their japanese name from.

Rift
November 25th, 2003, 07:05 PM
yeah i thought he looked like a sumo! *goes to Japan and sees to Hariyama wearing diapers and sumo-wrestling* XD

Porygon
November 26th, 2003, 09:52 AM
And, as we all know, Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee were named after Jackie Chan and Jackie Lee, respectively.

jynx
November 26th, 2003, 10:12 AM
DEOXYs really help me to remember that DNA stands for DEOXYribose nucleic acid!!

And I also heard of that Cassy(Abra), Yungera (Kadabra) and Fudin (Alakazam) are famous psychics in the world.

Rift
November 26th, 2003, 12:55 PM
And, as we all know, Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee were named after Jackie Chan and Jackie Lee, respectively.No, Hitmonlee was named after good ol' Bruce Lee!

Frostweaver
November 26th, 2003, 07:47 PM
DEOXYs really help me to remember that DNA stands for DEOXYribose nucleic acid!!

And I also heard of that Cassy(Abra), Yungera (Kadabra) and Fudin (Alakazam) are famous psychics in the world.

yes... their english names come from the "spell":
"Abracadabra Alakazam"

jynx
November 27th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Ya!
I often see these in English books.
English names could be very good sometimes.
but RS names...=.=

Frostweaver
November 27th, 2003, 03:12 PM
RS names are not too bad overall but some of them can be rather hideous... just tons of romanizations involved though... and Torchic's evolutions... ugh... terrible names.

Rift
November 27th, 2003, 04:54 PM
I dont really like Treeckos name it basically says strait out "Tree gecko" :laugh:

Iveechan
November 27th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Translated, Kimori is pretty much Treecko. I find Sceptile to be much worse sounding though.

Hmm... I think that "yama" may be Japanese for mountain, and Hari*te*yama lives in mountains. Or not. It is just some odd name.

shep
November 27th, 2003, 10:31 PM
1 = uno
2 = dos
3 = tres.

Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres

See?

thankyou captain obvious.... :D

jynx
November 28th, 2003, 09:02 AM
kimori sounds so much better than treecko does.

Jirachi
December 4th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Translated, Kimori is pretty much Treecko. I find Sceptile to be much worse sounding though.

Hmm... I think that "yama" may be Japanese for mountain, and Hari*te*yama lives in mountains. Or not. It is just some odd name.
I don't know about "Yama," but Hari is the Malay word for morning.

Iveechan
December 4th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Hariyama... the morning mountain. Funky. I now have a mental image of a Hariyama wearing a robe, just emerging from his mountain home, looking at the foggy morning, a hot cup of coffee in one of his ginormous hands.

I think Combusken sounds ok, but Blaziken is downright awful.

jynx
December 4th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Hariyama... the morning mountain. Funky. I now have a mental image of a Hariyama wearing a robe, just emerging from his mountain home, looking at the foggy morning, a hot cup of coffee in one of his ginormous hands.
XDDD
Take a photo if you see it!

Frostweaver
December 4th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Makes sense for Hariyama to be "morning mountain." (or at least the mountain part). It's strong and endurable like the mountains itself...

jynx
December 5th, 2003, 10:11 AM
But why morning?
Are you sure that there isn't another meaning?

Jirachi
December 6th, 2003, 02:42 AM
But why morning?
Are you sure that there isn't another meaning?
Maybe it gets up in the morning to train.
And I think Linoone is weird, what on Earth does it mean?

Iveechan
December 6th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Line and raccoon. (makes message over 25 characters long)

jynx
December 6th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Hee hee! You cheat posting (=spam)!
Line...it isn't really a line...

Iveechan
December 6th, 2003, 02:32 PM
I contributed to the topic without flaming or any other garbage, so it ain't spam. Instead of combining the 2 words together simply, it seems that they actually cut the word "line" in half can stuck a part of "coon" in the middle, which is why you get the "e" at the end (so it's "linoone" instead of "linoon" or evern "lineoon" which looks ridiculous). I soppose the line is in reference to the way Linoone charges in a straight line and the stripes on the body.

punkie90
December 6th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Ok. He was just explaing Linoone to Someone!

What does pidgeot mean??

jynx
December 8th, 2003, 09:56 AM
I meant that I don't think Linnone looks like a line.

Frostweaver
December 8th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Linoone's stripes change from zigzag patterns to lines. It runs at a straight line as well. Plus it's now streamlined in terms of body shape. Linoone being a "line" fits very well. (one of my favorite pokemon in terms of appearance)

Pidgeot is simply a change from Pidgeotto without the "to" at the end I guess... I can't find anything about the any sort of suffix or prefix called "otto" (i did find one but it doesn't fit the context... "otto" means "essential oil extracted from flower" -_-)

jynx
December 10th, 2003, 12:23 AM
Pidgey, Pidgeottoe, Pidgeot=Pigeon

Frostweaver
December 13th, 2003, 12:47 AM
yes people are fully aware of the pigeon relationship... but what puzzles me are the suffixes stuck at the end of the word "pigeon." Like why Pidgeon - n + tto? the "otto" part confuses me...

punkie90
December 13th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Oh. I get it now! Thanks frost weaver! I got a hard one for you all to figure out charizard.

ratiasu
December 13th, 2003, 07:43 AM
last time i checked everyone remembers Lugia. Everyone remembers Togepi. What? But... aren't they japanese? *cough cough*

i agree with togepi but lugia is written rugia, spelled lugia in japanese. same with ratiasu/latias (spelled latiasu) and ratiosu/latios (spelled latiosu)

btw, they can really destroy gimmicks in the series by changing names. wobuffet is called sonanso in japan and you know it pops out of its pokeball (monsterball in jp) and says its name. sonanso, that sounds like sonan desu in japanese. meaning that's right. they cut off the sense. so think of that's right when it pops out next time.

Sleek
December 13th, 2003, 12:42 PM
i will make a list of some...

treeko- tree + gekko
grovyle- grove (vyle is just a suffix i think)
torchic- torch + chicken
combusken- combust + chicken
blaziken- blaze + chicken
zigzagoon- zig zag + raccoon
linoone- line + raccoon
(skipping the obvious...lotad-ludicolo is espanol)
abra..kadabra...alakazam!!!
magikarp- magic + carp
aron/lairon- iron
aggron- anrgy iron????
(trying to find a hard one...)
feebas- feeble + bass
absol- absent soul????
pi/pika/raichu- i know chu equals mouse...(chu chu rocket)
the regi trio- meant to be golems
latios/as- latitude (os and as are just female and male)
rayquaza- japanese for sumpin (ray of quazi moto)

L337 h4x0r

Iveechan
December 13th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu dilemma...

Pichu is basically Pikachu but w/o the "ka". I think this may also be a fairy reference... didn't clefairy say "pi pi pi" in the game?

Pikachu... despite what some people say, pika is NOT from the animal pika. The animal is pronounced "pike-ah", not "peek-ah". Pika is Japanese for an electrical sparking noise. Like "zap". Chu refers to the Japanese equivalent of a mouse's squeak (if you've ever seen "Spirited Away", when the giant baby is turned into a rat, he says "Chu"). So Pikachu is basically zap-squeak!

Raichu. Rai is Japanese for thunder (like Raiden from Mortal Kombat). Rai is a popular word for electric Pokemon, like Raikou, Rakurai, and Raiboruto.

Frostweaver
December 14th, 2003, 12:39 AM
i will make a list of some...

treeko- tree + gekko
grovyle- grove (vyle is just a suffix i think)
torchic- torch + chicken
combusken- combust + chicken
blaziken- blaze + chicken
zigzagoon- zig zag + raccoon
linoone- line + raccoon
(skipping the obvious...lotad-ludicolo is espanol)
abra..kadabra...alakazam!!!
magikarp- magic + carp
aron/lairon- iron
aggron- anrgy iron????
(trying to find a hard one...)
feebas- feeble + bass
absol- absent soul????
pi/pika/raichu- i know chu equals mouse...(chu chu rocket)
the regi trio- meant to be golems
latios/as- latitude (os and as are just female and male)
rayquaza- japanese for sumpin (ray of quazi moto)
L337 h4x0r

aggron seems to suit "aggressive" more than angry... (plus it fits with the double Gs better than angry)

Grovyle's vyle part is simply an alternate spelling for reptile.

I forgot about Absol, but it's related to its japanese origin. It has nothing to do with english... Ask Iveechan for that one.

regi trios are not golems but "king of ____"... they are golems but their names don't really reflect that idea

eon siblings- simply romanization not latitude (Rayquaza fits latitude more than these 2 looking at pokedex... background info doesn't support the idea of latitude at all)

Rayquaza- forgot everything about him now but a list similar to this (much longer though) has mentioned something about Rayquaza similar to a God in some country

Sleek
December 14th, 2003, 06:46 AM
i found naming berries a lot easier than naming pokemon...

Some more....
Nincada: ????
Ninjask: Ninja Mask
Shedinja Shed Ninja
Geodude: Dude of Ground
Graveler: Gravel
Golem: Golem (yes, the same :P)

Iveechan
December 14th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Geodude is named after the geode rock. It's rather dull on the outside, but if you crack it open, there are beaufitul purple crystal types things inside. I wonder if a Geodude's insides are purple and shiny...

Hmm... I remember somebody telling what Abusoru meant, but now I forgot.

Frostweaver
December 14th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Nincada- cicada (a type of bug) + ninja

ashley03
December 14th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Nincada- cicada (a type of bug) + ninja
cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!so what other ones do u know?

ciao,ashley03

Iveechan
December 19th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Ashley, seriously, stop spamming. If you have nothing to add to the conversation, then don't post at all.

Arore
December 22nd, 2003, 06:57 AM
Hey here's one that didn't take me too long to figure out, considering what a Zangoose-freak I am! Zangoose= mongoose. Boo-YA! :laugh: So that explains why it fights snake Pokemon so much! :cheeky: