PDA

View Full Version : Aliens...

Icy42
January 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Do you believe in aliens? What do you think are their purposes?

This article about ETs is pretty cool

Alakazam17
January 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I definitely believe that aliens exist. The universe is so vast, one would just be deluding themselves if they say this is the only planet where life came to be.

I think the main question people like to ask is not if extra-terrestrial life exists(which as I said is pretty much definite), but if extra-terrestrial beings have come to our planet. And I remain on the fence in this regard. While there have been several 'alien sightings' in the past century, nothing has been confirmed. They could just be secret spy satellites, weather balloons(as if, XDD), or more commonly, hoaxes and pranks.

But if any of these sightings were in fact genuine, one has to think why. Are they studying us or what? Perhaps it could be the closest they could get to time travel, learning of primitive societies like ours. And speaking of time travel, I've heard some theories that some or all of these 'aliens' are in fact future humans who have finally figured out how to travel back in time. =O

And whether they are humans from the distant future, or actual beings from another world, you still have to think why here, and why now? Well, my theory is that they are worried about us, actually. In the past hundred years, more human beings have died than in any other century in humankind's history. Furthermore, we have developed methods of warfare which in the wrong hands could annihilate every living thing on the planet(barring cockroaches).

They could also be very much afraid of us. I mean, look at how humans have dealt with those having a different skin colour, or even a different religion. It's pretty safe to say that aliens would be even more different than any particular human, so I wouldn't blame them for hiding themselves. Not to mention the fact that some humans may just like to plant some WMD's on the aliens' homeworld. >_<

So yeah, aliens do exist, but whether they've come to Earth or not, I dunno. XD

Icy42
January 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I found this very interesting (and very long) article. It's worth reading, though.

Sora_8920
January 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Mm..yeah, it's possible they exist. Most stories are kinda just rumors/fake though.

Master Electrician
January 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Yes, two reasons why. Given the projected size of the universe, it is statistically almost impossible for some form of extraterrestrial life to exist. Whether that life is sentient or even necessarily sapient is another matter, though that is also likely. Second, it is impossible to prove a negative. While their existence has not been confirmed, we cannot and never will be able to say with certainty that they do not exist.

Yamikarasu
January 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I would say yes, alien life exists. Have we been visited? No. The laws of physics are pretty hampering to any being thinking about traveling to another solar system, let alone another planet with intelligent life.

Does intelligent life exist elsewhere? Probably, but it might be so distant that they might as well not exist at all, as signals would most likely take many centuries or millennial to go between Earth and wherever their planet is.

Gulpin
January 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
No, the little green thingies don't exist in my opinion.
But I do beleive that real aliens that aren't green steriotypical bugers are very real, we just don't know about them.

Icy42
January 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Personally, I believe in aliens. Based on the article in the first post, I think it would be neat to meet the zetas and help them with their spirituality issues.

kingofjokers
January 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
yea they do otherwise who drives those wierd ufos

Tokin
January 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
absolutely, it'd be selfish o think we have this gigantic universe to ourselves^^

Spinor
January 7th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Of course they are real! I'm that boy from E.T. who somehow didn't fall off a flying bike ripped off witches from 500 years ago! Maybe witches are aliens?

Nah, I just think it is impossible for there to be no life in the universe. As I have said sometime before, life is an extremely complex structure of elements that give power and electricity at randomness. This power wants as much as possible, thus making organisms translate effects of actions from the power, which was an accident in development, thus, making life.

Accidents shouldn't be that rare. There should be another complex structure out there that had that accident! Chuck Norris is not the only one to accidentally be hated. A birth of a brother happens. You are not the only one making typos sometimes. And I am not the only one that threw the stone that caused the debris to hit Osama and cause him to cause 9/11...

At least I hope o_o;...

Emii
January 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I definitely believe that aliens exist. The universe is so vast, one would just be deluding themselves if they say this is the only planet where life came to be.

I think the main question people like to ask is not if extra-terrestrial life exists(which as I said is pretty much definite), but if extra-terrestrial beings have come to our planet. And I remain on the fence in this regard. While there have been several 'alien sightings' in the past century, nothing has been confirmed. They could just be secret spy satellites, weather balloons(as if, XDD), or more commonly, hoaxes and pranks.

But if any of these sightings were in fact genuine, one has to think why. Are they studying us or what? Perhaps it could be the closest they could get to time travel, learning of primitive societies like ours. And speaking of time travel, I've heard some theories that some or all of these 'aliens' are in fact future humans who have finally figured out how to travel back in time. =O

And whether they are humans from the distant future, or actual beings from another world, you still have to think why here, and why now? Well, my theory is that they are worried about us, actually. In the past hundred years, more human beings have died than in any other century in humankind's history. Furthermore, we have developed methods of warfare which in the wrong hands could annihilate every living thing on the planet(barring cockroaches).

They could also be very much afraid of us. I mean, look at how humans have dealt with those having a different skin colour, or even a different religion. It's pretty safe to say that aliens would be even more different than any particular human, so I wouldn't blame them for hiding themselves. Not to mention the fact that some humans may just like to plant some WMD's on the aliens' homeworld. >_<

Wow! That all made alot of sense to me! =D

I never thought about the time travel thing. Interesting theory..

and I agree about why they would want to hide themselves. People discriminate so badly.. not necessarily everybody, but if not now, then over the past years most people were very discriminatory.

As for me, yes, I believe aliens exist. I don't know if they've visited Earth, but I think if they are much more advanced than us, then they could very possibly visit Earth, if they wanted to.

Idiot!
January 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Aliens exist IMO. But I wouldn't want to stereotype what an alien should look like before I see one consciously

LethalTexture
January 7th, 2009, 11:47 PM

My opinion on the matter is pretty much summed up in this post right here.

I believe it is impossible for them to NOT exist.

flight
January 8th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I personally don't really believe in aliens unless I see them for myself. I mean, I watch TV shows and all there have been news of UFO sightings; and it could be very possible, but unless I see one with my own eyes first, I'm afraid television isn't enough.

I mean, I believe in the supernatural, of course and whatnot, but this seems a bit too far-fetched for me to actually believe. I mean, I know for sure that we aren't alone in this universe, but who exactly is sharing the living spot with us? Yeah, one of those mind-baffling questions that really come to you. :[

Guillermo
January 8th, 2009, 02:52 AM
As most have stated, the universe is too big for aliens or some other form of race other than humans to not exist. The UFO sightings and stuff might be fake and people coming up with stuff like "I was abducted" and all that jam, but aliens do exist.

I haven't seen one or heard one, but I just have a gut feeling. The universe is too large for aliens to not exist, it's as simple as that.

>Feelings<
January 8th, 2009, 03:09 AM
It is true that all the rumors about aliens that you hear from people around you and on the TV is just not real. But almost everyone here knows that.

That doesn't mean I don't think they don't exist, I just believe no one has seen one before. They have a chance of existing. There could be ideal environment for life to grow somewhere far away.

Remember, we are just tiny human in this huge, endless universe. It's not possible for us to tell something surely. God can change even facts in seconds.

Cassino
January 8th, 2009, 03:31 AM
"It's possible they will be little and they may even be green, but no, they won't be men."
It's a perfectly reasonable assumption that life exists on other planets, but of course most of it won't be sapient as we are.

Their 'purposes', as you put it, are the same as ours: to exist. It seems to me given human nature, that contrary to so many depictions in popular culture, we would be the alien species invading their planet.

Edit: Mistakenly went for the 'abducted' vote since I misread the one below it as "there is doubt in my mind" and took it as being an incremental list.

♣Gawain♣
January 8th, 2009, 03:42 AM
There are millions of other solar systems in our galaxy and about 10% of planets containing life supporting system may harbor other life forms. Whether be it a microbe or some highly civilized being, there is no doubt there are aliens in other worlds.

ErickaVolt
January 8th, 2009, 05:12 AM
YES! I believe in Aliens and they exist. I don't believe that we're alone in the vast universe. There's many proof of the existence of Aliens than the bible. Probably it will be solved if the controversial Area 51 will confess.

Melody
January 8th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I believe they do exist. We're just not advanced enough to see them yet. Hopefully when we DO find the aliens that we don't attack them.

El Gofre
January 8th, 2009, 07:05 AM
YES! I believe in Aliens and they exist. I don't believe that we're alone in the vast universe. There's many proof of the existence of Aliens than the bible. Probably it will be solved if the controversial Area 51 will confess.

There's also "proof" of a guy who can walk on water in the bible, so it's not a particularly reliable source =]

But yeah, I agree with everyone else who has said that it's stupid to think we have th universe to ourselves.

Alakazam17
January 8th, 2009, 07:25 AM
It seems to me given human nature, that contrary to so many depictions in popular culture, we would be the alien species invading their planet. That is something I've been worrying about myself. And I believe it could be very true if we ever do find another planet with living creatures on it. >_<

Which is why I said earlier that we should not be afraid of aliens. Aliens are the ones who should be very afraid of us.

Though of course, who's to say alien nature is any different from human nature? They could be just as horrible as we are. Albeit more advanced, but hey, you don't need to be a saint to be capable of flying through space. XD

LethalTexture
January 8th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Though of course, who's to say alien nature is any different from human nature? They could be just as horrible as we are. Albeit more advanced, but hey, you don't need to be a saint to be capable of flying through space. XD

That brings up another point; who says that they have to be more advanced than us?

Many of them could constitute a primitive society.

Alakazam17
January 8th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Well, I was referring to those aliens capable of coming to Earth to annihilate us. :P

And yes, I expect there to be many alien planets with primitive societies. Even more planets that don't even have a native intelligent species yet. ^_^

Mira
January 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM
There's too much junk on both the existence of extra terrestrial and the lack of it to really make a definite justifiable decision.

But if they do exist and watch us, they must get a real kick out of us XD

Alakazam17
January 8th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Oh yes. I read an Animorphs book once that got me thinking..."hey, what if aliens take our television programs at face value?" I mean, TV signals are being sent out into outer space....XD

Aliens could see episodes of Star Trek & Star Wars and whatnot and take them at face value, actually believing that we are capable of travelling at seven times the speed of light or more, XD. Furthermore, what really frightens me is that they might actually think that the Teletubbies are actual Earthlings. O_O

If so, we'd better prepare for annihilation yesterday. XD

Mira
January 8th, 2009, 08:00 AM
why would they want to annihilate us? O.O
Don't they have better things to do? They could take up knitting or something XD

An-chan
January 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM
If we, with our puny telescopes and pathetically small radio telescopes, have found some planets from space around us that actually have water and reasonable climates, I believe there's no change life doesn't exist somewhere out there. We came to existense by chance, from a single molecule that was able to copy itself. Why wouldn't that happen somewhere else? I believe the chances of there being some other planet with carbon-based lifeforms are very, very high, and carbon might not be the only chemical element life can base itself.

There is someone ou there. You just wait.

Actually, I'm waiting for us to find bacteria from Mars. I really believe there's something alive there. Or, maybe not anymore, but definitely there was. Maybe we only find fossiles, who knows.

In any case, I really think the relevant question here is whether anyone has visited us or not. Frankly, I believe not, but you never know what the big, bad governments are hiding to get ahead of each other. I mean, science is in a serious lag, because even though military scientists come up with all sorts of new, useful equipment, they keep the info with themselves for 50 darned years before telling the public.

Thanks for ruining science, you military jerks. If someone really has visited us and they shimply shot whatever it was and then hid it, I'm seriously going to move away from this planet. ;)

...Wait... Ha, ha, I finally saw you here, Alakazam17 :laugh:

♣Gawain♣
January 8th, 2009, 11:53 PM
If we, with our puny telescopes and pathetically small radio telescopes, have found some planets from space around us that actually have water and reasonable climates, I believe there's no change life doesn't exist somewhere out there. We came to existense by chance, from a single molecule that was able to copy itself. Why wouldn't that happen somewhere else? I believe the chances of there being some other planet with carbon-based lifeforms are very, very high, and carbon might not be the only chemical element life can base itself.

There is someone ou there. You just wait.

Actually, I'm waiting for us to find bacteria from Mars. I really believe there's something alive there. Or, maybe not anymore, but definitely there was. Maybe we only find fossiles, who knows.

In any case, I really think the relevant question here is whether anyone has visited us or not. Frankly, I believe not, but you never know what the big, bad governments are hiding to get ahead of each other. I mean, science is in a serious lag, because even though military scientists come up with all sorts of new, useful equipment, they keep the info with themselves for 50 darned years before telling the public.

Thanks for ruining science, you military jerks. If someone really has visited us and they shimply shot whatever it was and then hid it, I'm seriously going to move away from this planet. ;)

...Wait... Ha, ha, I finally saw you here, Alakazam17 :laugh:

Do you actually believe that Hitler hid some UFO for his mad experiments? Or about the Russian military shooting down some UFO? The only thing that the military hid and finally announced the public is Area 51.

Life in Mars is highly possible. The climate there is just like in some places on Earth, where microbes would thrive. The moon Europa is also a candidate for lifeforms, it probably has a liquid ocean beneath that dirty ice floes.

LethalTexture
January 9th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Interesting article in one of our British newspapers yesterday. What do you think?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/ufos/article2108149.ece

storm393
January 9th, 2009, 06:01 AM
i do not belive in aliens. there just a myth in my opionion, like who would have ever created them in the first place? i think its just makebelive....

Graceful
January 9th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I believe in aliens! Well it would be quite lonely if we were the only planet!

~Kavin~
January 9th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I say put one in front of me or get some live footage of one and I'd be a believer not saying I don't believe in them but if you have undeniable proof how can you go against it?

Haza
January 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I believe in them. The universe is bigger than we can imagine. As I try it hurts. Another question is where does the universe end? or where do black-holes really go if anywhere? Those are even harder to answer but it would only be dumb to say that of the millions of galaxies there is only one planet that supports life. Mars anyone?

It has also been said that UFOs being super fast and all may be time traveling humans from the future examining or checking up on us to protect us fro something that will happen that will maybe alter human civilization.

Spaekle Oddberry
January 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Well, uh, I keep hearing about this place called 'Earth' that's supposedly got life running around all over it. But, I mean, they're just rumors and stuff, so I don't really know. Never been there.

...Yeah, there's gotta be something out there. With the universe being so vast, there's probably a good chance of there being some sapient species with intelligence that equals or surpasses that of humans, but any sort of complex ecosystem on another planet would be an amazing discovery. I find it incredibly fascinating how resilient life is, how creatures evolved and developed into what we have today, and finding a similar planet and being able to research how it happened there would just be amazing.

Of course, these things probably won't happen in my lifetime. I can dream, I guess. :V

God
January 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM
No, the little green thingies don't exist in my opinion.
But I do beleive that real aliens that aren't green steriotypical bugers are very real, we just don't know about them.
Agreed.

It might be possible that somewhere in the universe, a stereotypical alien to us might exist, but most likely, they're going to be much larger and different.

Lol at how there hasn't been a Scientology reference yet.
-oops

LethalTexture
January 10th, 2009, 02:58 AM
The universe is bigger than we can imagine. As I try it hurts. Another question is where does the universe end?

To answer this, the Universe does not end; it continues to grow after the Big Bang. Until it reaches a point where it stops gorwing and begins to collapse in on itself.

And to put a spin on the size of the Universe, our Galaxy is inside a Galaxy Cluster, which itself has millions of galaxies inside it. In an approximately 30 x 30 feet room, our galaxy cluster is the size of a small shirt button.

This is what I was told during a science lesson last year as we studied the topic. Now, knowing this, you try and tell me that life cannot exist outside of Earth.

Armaina
January 10th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I believe it is possible for there to be life on other planets. There is no proof at this time but there is also nothing that could prove that it is impossible.

Mitchman
January 10th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I dont believe in aliens but in other life forms then humans. I say that because any life form to us is an alien and us to any life form is an alien race. Every race of human like species is an alien race to each other so i believe in other life forms instead. The universe is vast and very unknown to us but might be travelable to the other life forms as we might be the inferior race of the universe with little technology compared to other life form technologies. Wethere they visted us or not i cant say. I mean humans picture them as green midigets with fish like eyes in flying saucers. When really their transport could be say a super cool looking car look alike with very fast flying speed or something else. The only life form we knopw about so far are the ones on earth so i believe them to be hoaxes.

True Reign
January 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Of course there are aliens. In this universe, they could be all around us - Or even be with us. Recently, however, scientists obtained a small rock from Mars (from the probe in space). The rock contained thousands of small bacterium, who are technically aliens since they come from Mars.

But to some it all up - I do believe in aliens.

Haza
January 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
To answer this, the Universe does not end; it continues to grow after the Big Bang. Until it reaches a point where it stops gorwing and begins to collapse in on itself.

And to put a spin on the size of the Universe, our Galaxy is inside a Galaxy Cluster, which itself has millions of galaxies inside it. In an approximately 30 x 30 feet room, our galaxy cluster is the size of a small shirt button.

This is what I was told during a science lesson last year as we studied the topic. Now, knowing this, you try and tell me that life cannot exist outside of Earth.

I here that but it still makes no sense. There has to be a space which it has not expanded to yet right. What is that space? And the big bang is just a theory and leaves it open to ask what was there before it happened.

Kirakas.
January 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM
To answer this, the Universe does not end; it continues to grow after the Big Bang. Until it reaches a point where it stops growing and begins to collapse in on itself.

I believe that's called the Big Crunch, right..?
All in all, Big Bang/Big Crunch is a theory, and not proven to be fact. To other, non-atheist religions, it's completely false. As a Christian, I believe that there was nothing in the universe until God put something there. (Which, I think, implies that the universe is endless, but it does put the whole Big Bang theory to rest.) As far as I know, the Bible doesn't say anything about God creating anything outside of Earth; He finished His creation in seven days. So, I don't believe in aliens.

s0nido
January 11th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Aliens and UFOs have been invented to cover up secret accidents throughout history. They are also used as an explanation for various mysteries that people just can't be bothered solving. Aliens are a conspiracy!

I here that but it still makes no sense. There has to be a space which it has not expanded to yet right. What is that space? And the big bang is just a theory and leaves it open to ask what was there before it happened.
God was there before the Big Bang. Apparently, he caused it.

AtomicoExploda
January 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Yes, I believe that aliens do exist, i've watched lots of documentaries and other stuff, i'm actually pretty interested in it. Stone Henge is one thing about it, I also watch paranormal stuff, I can't list all of those now, but it's very convincing.

Gold warehouse
January 11th, 2009, 08:55 AM
The vast size of the universe makes it highly likely that there is other life out there. Maybe not in our galaxy but somewhere... We are aliens to them aswell; to say that Earth is the only planet that harbours life is just ignorant.
Maybe governments have made conspiracies but that dosn't mean alien life dosn't exist.

Shedinja8
January 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM
The universe is so vast, if we were the only place with life, the idea of life would become pointless. There is acual proof though of life outside are planet. A small, frozen rock chrashed to earth many years ago. When it was found things like bacteria and other microscopic life was found. True, it wasn't the UFO shapeship we were probaly wanting... but it does prove that there IS life. Its not so advanced as we are, but hey, evolution takes a while...

Darkjagwar
January 11th, 2009, 11:35 AM
well, based of the hugeness of the universe, it could be possible, but based on how long Earth's evolutionary history is and where we are now, chances are that any other life forms out there are at the same level of technology as we are and couldn't possibly be spying on us and stuff.

Mooshykris
January 12th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Of course aliens are real! Wasn't Ford Prefect an alien?! *shot*

Also, humans aren't descended from monkeys, we're descended from pathetic aliens who cared more about luxury then surviving and crash landed on earth. *shot again*

annnnyways,

Nah, I don't really believe in them. At least in the context that we see them in movies.

I believe if they are real, they would be very much like humans.

~Mooshykris

Haza
January 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Aliens and UFOs have been invented to cover up secret accidents throughout history. They are also used as an explanation for various mysteries that people just can't be bothered solving. Aliens are a conspiracy!

God was there before the Big Bang. Apparently, he caused it.

And wgere was God exactly since you have all of the answers? There had to be a place where he dwelled.

Black Omega Zero
January 12th, 2009, 08:55 PM
They have to exist, but they're too far, at least, not in the solar system...

Sorano
January 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I think that aliens are definitely real. The universe, as we know, goes on forever. It isn't really possible that we are the only existing life forms in the whole entire universe. It just doesn't make any sense to me how we could be. But, they are probably too far away from us to be "spying on us" or trying to "take over our world" like they are depicted to have been wanting to do in films and stuff like that.

However, I hope that proof will be found sometime in my lifetime. I think it's interesting, and I wanna live to see the day. :|

Hurricano
January 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
If I think about the word 'alien', I think about freaky things with 3 eyes or something. Maybe even that does exist, but maybe it doesn't. But if you ask me:"Do you think there is more life in the universe than here on earth" I would definitely say yes. As stated above, I don't believe in things as a takeover or spying aliens, that would be just... I can't describe it, for real.

And yet, as stated above, I hope there will be proof, or else, more clues to more living creatures existing, or more living creatures existed, but that they are extinct.

the bitter end.
January 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I am farily sure, I mean, there has to be other life out there, Earth can't be the only living planet...

Deefie
January 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I'm sure there is something out there, i just don't think it is like an ET(movie) kinda thing
I think they are more intellegent than we are and i hope that if they come to earth humans and aliens can come along great:)

NoBel_ToKYo ™
January 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM
i find it funny how all these scientists say this and that and that theres a slim chance of life on that planet, or they're in an interview, say like, in a documentary about extraterrestrial life or something..and they say that they think theres only a slim chance..but to me that just sounds narrow minded; is'nt there a slim chance of us being the ONLY planet with life on it?

besides, we can hardly talk about aliens coming and destroying our planet when we're so busy destroying it ourselves, eh?

negative rant over ^__^

Thomas
January 14th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Yes, I believe there are time traveling aliens who befriend human women and take them to the far reaches of the universe and have misadventures with them.

bubblewrap
January 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I believe aliens exist. I mean, we are just one planet, in one galaxy. There are probably many more galaxies and more planets with SOMETHING living on them. :P

They may come and eradicate us humans. It's not impossible. :p

Dukey
January 14th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Lol. No where near us. They would be galaxies away.

LethalTexture
January 14th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I believe that's called the Big Crunch, right..?
All in all, Big Bang/Big Crunch is a theory, and not proven to be fact. To other, non-atheist religions, it's completely false. As a Christian, I believe that there was nothing in the universe until God put something there. (Which, I think, implies that the universe is endless, but it does put the whole Big Bang theory to rest.) As far as I know, the Bible doesn't say anything about God creating anything outside of Earth; He finished His creation in seven days. So, I don't believe in aliens.

The Big Crunch, correct.

And as I said in the God/Jesus thread, I am fully aware that it is not proven, but from what I have read up on and from what I have learned, it has the highest probability of being true.

The Big Bang was the start of everything, the pinprick on the time map, the very beginning of time. So there was nothing before the Big Bang, at all. And there are some scientists who even go so far as to suggest that this is not the first Universe; there have been several Big Bangs and Crunches. But even I find that difficult to believe.

helix
January 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM
It'd be pretty silly to say it's impossible, given the size of our universe. I won't deny the possibility.

jasonresno
January 15th, 2009, 06:46 AM
The Big Crunch, correct.

And as I said in the God/Jesus thread, I am fully aware that it is not proven, but from what I have read up on and from what I have learned, it has the highest probability of being true.

The Big Bang was the start of everything, the pinprick on the time map, the very beginning of time. So there was nothing before the Big Bang, at all. And there are some scientists who even go so far as to suggest that this is not the first Universe; there have been several Big Bangs and Crunches. But even I find that difficult to believe.

I'm going to be that guy and say: If there was absolute nothing (which we can't even grasp) then how did the Big Bang start? Just up and by itself? Well, scientifically that's impossible.

I think the Big Bang is just a convenient theory for non religious people to cling to. No offense if you aren't religious or you believe in the theory.

LethalTexture
January 15th, 2009, 07:41 AM
We don't need to cling onto it when people much more intelligent than ourselves have studied (and in some cases made educated guesses) that this is indeed the way in which our universe began.

The Big Bang is the cosmological model of the universe that is best supported by all lines of scientific evidence and observation. As used by cosmologists, the term Big Bang generally refers to the idea that the universe has expanded from a primordial hot and dense initial condition at some finite time in the past, and continues to expand to this day.

According to the Big Bang model, the universe expanded from an extremely dense and hot state and continues to expand today. A common and useful analogy explains that space itself is expanding, carrying galaxies with it, like raisins in a rising loaf of bread. General relativistic cosmologies, however, do not actually ascribe any "physicality" to space.

I will reiterate what I have been saying since I entered this debate: I am not saying that the Big Bang theory is 100% correct (incidentally, the Big Bang, if you read the above quote, may not have tecnically a Bang at all), but it is generally considered to be the most probable explanation, based on observation and scientific evidence.

Also, getting back to the issue at hand, this article (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2133475.ece) was published in a newspaper today.

s0nido
January 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM
And wgere was God exactly since you have all of the answers? There had to be a place where he dwelled.
His Kingdom. He is God after all.

Aliens may exist, but not in the way we believe them to. If they did exist, they wouldn't be so technologically advanced, as their home worlds wouldn't have been around long enough to let them develop technology better than ours. Therefore, the idea that aliens have landed on Earth is impossible.

On the other hand, if their civilisations were built a million years before ours, I think their sun would've expanded/blown up and their planet would now be a floating mass of dust. Or they would've been hit by a celestial object.

Aliens as we imagine them are the work of movie producers, authors, crazy kids' imaginations and evil governments that crash planes into buildings and blow them up.

EDIT!!!! For the people who believe in God, the Big Bang is actually a theory to support the fact that God exists. The theory before the Big Bang was that the Universe was infinite in its lifespan and size and that it would never end. But the Big Bang suggests that the universe was formed from a small speck that burst. What caused this speck? GOD!

jasonresno
January 15th, 2009, 07:31 PM
We don't need to cling onto it when people much more intelligent than ourselves have studied (and in some cases made educated guesses) that this is indeed the way in which our universe began.

I will reiterate what I have been saying since I entered this debate: I am not saying that the Big Bang theory is 100% correct (incidentally, the Big Bang, if you read the above quote, may not have tecnically a Bang at all), but it is generally considered to be the most probable explanation, based on observation and scientific evidence.

Also, getting back to the issue at hand, this article (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2133475.ece) was published in a newspaper today.

I get what you're saying but to me it's always seemed like scientists are convinced they are correct until something better comes along. I highly doubt the last stop on the "This is what started existence" will be the Big Bang theory. It's only a matter of time until some genius says, "No. This is how it all started." and every scholar nods and says, "Yeah, that makes sense." and then we have a whole new theory that is widely regarded by certain people as the end-all of the conversation. Personally I think that science will never find a resolute answer to any of lives bigger questions, at least in this realm of thinking.

On the topic of Aliens...the subject has always creeped me out.

edit: I clicked your link and I gotta tell you that the Sun is an absolute joke.

LethalTexture
January 15th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I get what you're saying but to me it's always seemed like scientists are convinced they are correct until something better comes along. I highly doubt the last stop on the "This is what started existence" will be the Big Bang theory. It's only a matter of time until some genius says, "No. This is how it all started." and every scholar nods and says, "Yeah, that makes sense." and then we have a whole new theory that is widely regarded by certain people as the end-all of the conversation. Personally I think that science will never find a resolute answer to any of lives bigger questions, at least in this realm of thinking.

On the topic of Aliens...the subject has always creeped me out.

edit: I clicked your link and I gotta tell you that the Sun is an absolute joke.

Exactly, that's why I think the debate whether the Universe was created by a higher being or by science itself is pointless, as neither side has sufficient evidence to know for certain one way or the other.

And I agree, in some ways the Sun newspaper is quite ridiculous, but in most of the serious articles it publishes more often than not turn out to be true.

BeachBoy
January 16th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I think that aliens are definitely real. The universe, as we know, goes on forever. It isn't really possible that we are the only existing life forms in the whole entire universe. It just doesn't make any sense to me how we could be. But, they are probably too far away from us to be "spying on us" or trying to "take over our world" like they are depicted to have been wanting to do in films and stuff like that.

However, I hope that proof will be found sometime in my lifetime. I think it's interesting, and I wanna live to see the day. :|I couldn't agree more. Well said, Karli.

I too hope I'll get to see that day. It'd be pretty cool.

Asmo-deus
January 16th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I believe in aliens. I mean, it's really impossible that Earth is the only living planet on the whole universe.

Just like it's impossible to be lost and not be found. Sure, you lost your keys for 3 years, but atleast 3 years later you found it. Just like aliens are, I'm pretty sure we'll find another kind of life-forms in the solar system.

Chuchan
January 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I say maybe as it is a big possibility. Theres must be millions of galaxies out there with planets that has life on them. But I dont think they would be pale and have big heads and eyes.

Raven-NAR-32450
January 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
well, with the universe being the size that it is, i don't have doubt that aliens exist, but if i just kept telling myself outright "oh yeah aliens are real, and then they'l pay us a nice little visit." i'd be betraying myself a little bit because well, there is the large part of my brain that keeps telling me we're alone in the universe, but, there is one of those remote chances

spaminator
January 17th, 2009, 02:07 AM
there are aliens among us.

*hikaru
January 17th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I believe they exist... but they creep me out too much for me to think of what their purpose is...

Had a phobia of them since I was little. ):

Devil's Guitarist
February 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
well,i really can't say that i believe in them.but i know that we aren't alone,because it doesn't make any sense.i mean,why should we believe that we are alone?because we doesn't see anyone doesn't mean that we are alone in the whole universe.
i think that there are lots of planets that have life and we just don't know about.