View Full Version : Did I cheat?

January 9th, 2009, 1:34 PM
Ok so I was really studying hard on a science unit test and I was frantic. The teacher told what major things were on the test. When I was in the library studying, my friend helped me and told me things I should study since she already had the test. When I took the tst, I did really well at it. Now looking back, did I cheat by obtaining her help on what to study for?

January 9th, 2009, 1:35 PM
If you weren't given direct answers during the test, it's not cheating.

January 9th, 2009, 1:38 PM
No you didn't! I've done the same thing before and I didn't get in trouble for it. As long as you didn't bring any reference material into the examination room, you didn't cheat.

Virtual Chatot
January 9th, 2009, 1:39 PM
No, not at all

Is it cheating if you ask your Teacher to explain the problem on the test to you? No, yet it helps you.

January 9th, 2009, 2:15 PM
Nope. I've done all sorts of things like that myself, and it's not cheating.

For example, this calculus class I had had three sections: two which have their tests on Friday, and one which has it on Thursday. For Test #1, the prof actually posted the Thursday group's test answers before the Friday groups' wrote their tests. Since I was in one of the Friday groups, I reviewed this material, and was pleased to find out that my test was exactly the same, but with different numbers. =D

But someone later complained, so the prof didn't repeat this for Test #2. A shame....XDD

January 9th, 2009, 2:24 PM
No you didn't cheat. I think you got advice about the test. What to study, that's something the teacher would do the same thing.

January 9th, 2009, 2:44 PM
No, you didn't cheat, unless your friend gave you the answer to a spicific question.

I've helped my friends with the hard problems before they took the test though I already have. I just give them hints, for example: We had a test and everyone was memorizing the hardest part, and it wasn't even on the test! I told most of my friends not to worry about those parts, because it wasn't on there.

January 9th, 2009, 6:40 PM
no you wanted an a you studied for an a thats simple

Harley Quinn
January 9th, 2009, 6:45 PM
No, thats not cheating. I did that a few times last year, and it's allowed.

January 9th, 2009, 9:05 PM
It's not actual cheating, but shouldn't be done anyways.
That said, I've done this quite a lot of times in my life before. Not any more though...

Remember, the purpose of test is to make you study everything and learn about them. Without tests, you wouldn't study everything, or study at all.
So, no hard feelings, try studying for the other things too which are in your syllabus, but you know won't actually be given.

January 9th, 2009, 9:10 PM
It's not so much cheating as it is...using all of your resources to your advantage. Cheating is done in a more direct manner, while this is just simply a friend telling you what to study for. Frankly, it would be silly to not find out as much about the test as humanly possible before taking it (without doing anything illegal of course). I distinctly remember asking all my friends who took classes right before me what was going to be on tests. Perfectly legit ^___^

Capt. Couch
January 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Nah, you didn't cheat. You're simply being given a heads-up on what to study for, and even teachers will do that.

Several teachers I have consider it cheating, but they often overreact irrationally to many small things.

January 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
From how I define that, it isn't cheating. You don't have to worry about your soul getting stained...

From where I study- CHEATING IS A WAY OF LIFE.

Believe me, I doesn't hurt once you commit it several times.
But try your best to resist.

True Reign
January 9th, 2009, 11:37 PM

Your really just received additional information to see whats on the test.

January 10th, 2009, 1:17 AM
That's... not cheating at all. :/

If you were studying as hard as you say, than you would have eventually gone over the sections she pointed out to you anyway.

January 10th, 2009, 1:56 AM
Like someone stated before me, if you do not have the direct answeres to the test then it is not cheating. If people were telling you what was IN the test then that is something completely different to being given the answers. Teachers are aloud to tell you what's going to be in the test because...well because you study everything that will be in the text through out theyear. My teachers use to sit the class down and give us out test questions from the year before in order to prepare us, they can't give you what the question will be but they can tell you what to revise or what sort of question to look out for.

So you were really just well prepared ^_^

January 10th, 2009, 8:02 AM
Think of it like this, if you had a Mathematics exam, the teacher didn't tell you what part of Mathematics it was on, for all you know it could be any of them, basicly, you merely found out what to actually study

Mr. Epic
January 10th, 2009, 8:31 AM
I don't think of it as cheating, some do but I don't think them guiding you helped you much.
Having the questions to the test would.

January 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM
No, you didn't cheat. Your friend was merely looking out for you, telling you what the exam covers so you could do well on it. He didn't tell you the direct answers, so it wouldn't be cheating. At least to me.