PDA

View Full Version : If your school had uniforms...

Soul Eater
January 10th, 2009, 06:52 AM
or...if you're at a private school that already has uniforms, you can think about what it's like if you didn't have school uniforms.

Anyway, it's just a simple debate over the good things and bad things about uniforms. Alot of people think they would be better but others don't.

For me, I think school uniforms do have good points, in other words, school uniforms would lessen all of the dress codes we face in public school.

As for the bad things, you couldnt be yourself. You wouldn't be able to express yourself with the clothing you wear and you couldnt be different.

For public schools, well...you do pretty much have a chance to express yourself but sometimes expressing yourself too much leads to getting yourself in trouble.

What do you think about this?

processr
January 10th, 2009, 06:56 AM
School uniforms are the norm in England. Not in Sixth Form, however. And yet, I still have one. v_v

I do think that school uniform gives a sense of union and identity, but hell, I'd much rather be able to wear other clothes. When all the other Sixth Forms in the city have no uniform I don't see why mine still has. >>;

Saltare.
January 10th, 2009, 06:57 AM
If we had uniforms here, a lot of people would get in trouble for not wearing them. No ONE wears like, formal clothes at my school. Holister, tight shirts, tight skinny jeans. The usual.

Alakazam17
January 10th, 2009, 07:00 AM
My high school introduced uniforms during my last year there! If they had done so any earlier, I would definitely have switched schools, as I loathe uniforms. For someone who tries to be weird and stick out of the crowd, this kind of becomes impossible if you're all alike. >_<

And I know of one girl in the same grade as me who actually did switch schools. XD

Azonic
January 10th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Statistics do show that when students are in uniforms, they perform better on tests and other academic work. It also minimizes the popularity divisions that most schools have in the students, so some students won't exactly feel offended because everyone looks just like you. Also students wouldn't worry about what to wear tomorrow and stay focused on schoolwork.

For our school, no uniforms is the way to go. I like it better with no uniforms at all, though. Students should get to express themselves instead of being told what to wear. I can live with more minor dress code regulations like no really exposing clothes and stuff, but uniforms just don't really let anyone express themselves. Students should be able to be who they are, not what the school wants them to be. You just feel sort of confined and enclosed when uniformed, and everything just looks so boring.

Camisado
January 10th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I liked our uniforms at school, particularly my high school (as Erebus said - uniforms are normal in England).

They gave enough opportunity for the girls to dress provocatively (kids rolling their skirts up when they leave the house at age 12 is a bit much) so I certainly wouldn't have liked to see them in casual clothes.

Our sixth-form and then my college had casual clothing, though girls were always being sent home for wearing too-short skirts and hot pants. I think uniforms rather save us all some eyesores. Plus, uniforms are a lot easier to enforce than a casual dress code.

Additionally I liked the way uniforms promote equality, particularly at such a young age since kids can be cruel. What if you can't afford the latest fashion? Uniforms eliminate that particular point of bullying.

Also, I'm a sucker for formalwear =X

Rockéttes
January 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I don't think there's a very big difference at all, if you ask me. The school I attended in the beginning of grade nine had a dress code, and it wasn't that bad. I'd rather be in a school with no dress code, but I don't mind too much when there is.

Mitchman
January 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
No dont mention uniforms. I gone to school for 8 effing long year wearing one. In elemetary we had grey pants with blue blazers and grey ties with white shirts. Ugh. In middle school(just 2 grades!) you got to wear blue pants red blazer and blue tie with white shirt. but wearing that red blazer meant your in the older grades and you are cool. If my school didnt have one then it would be the same. The girls with rolled up skirts and a bit too unbuttoned shirts. Also we broke the dress code so much that they let us. The boys would take off the ties unbutton the first button wear short sleeve in winter or even come without a blazer. You would see us be really bad and stuff. I also think its a curse for my class. i mean every year no matter what school we were always the trouble makers. The last year that i left the class was an angel class.

Soul Eater
January 10th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Statistics do show that when students are in uniforms, they perform better on tests and other academic work. It also minimizes the popularity divisions that most schools have in the students, so some students won't exactly feel offended because everyone looks just like you. Also students wouldn't worry about what to wear tomorrow and stay focused on schoolwork.

Yeah, that does make alot of sense, plus for those that don't have much money to go out and buy clothes every time just for school, it can save alot of money.

Gulpin
January 10th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I go to a school with uniforms.. does that mean I'm a snotty rich kid? I hope not, because I'm far from that steriotypical image of private school kids. Uniforms are okay, because every once in a while we get to pay 2 dollars to wear anything we want [no hoodies, ughs, etc.] But I don't mind uniforms because I'm a guy and I really don't want to have to go out to buy tons of clothes for school. A bad thing about uniforms is that we have no way whatsoever to express ourselves.

Virtual Chatot
January 10th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Eh, I don't really care if a school has uniforms, they just want people to look nice. To hell with expressing yourself, school is an educational institution and was never meant to be a time to go chat with your friends about how someone looks.

Ayano Katagiri
January 10th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Most of the schools here actually have a uniform. There's only one high-school that doesn't and most primary schools don't either. I don't personally think there are many good or bad points about uniforms, but it certainly helps in the morning not having to think of what to wear.

Yeah, that does make alot of sense, plus for those that don't have much money to go out and buy clothes every time just for school, it can save alot of money.

I think that can vary from school to school. My uniform was certainly towards the expensive end of the scale, much more than normal mufti would cost for a similar outfit.

Camisado
January 10th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I think that can vary from school to school. My uniform was certainly towards the expensive end of the scale, much more than normal mufti would cost for a similar outfit.
I think my schools offered financial help for the ones that couldn't afford the uniform =/

Usually our schools gave us a list of what to buy and you'd go out and buy the shirts, trousers, skirts and blazers from supermarkets, as long as they were the right colour. In my high school we only had to purchase the school tie and the blazer badge from the school itself.

Volkner's Apprentice
January 10th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't entirely mind uniforms, since there'd be a lot less judging from students. Yet always having to wash it would get kind of annoying. :P

Mr. Epic
January 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I used to wear a uniform and now I don't and I don't really enjoy it much.
I don't mind wearing my old uniform it was okay.
I know people in other schools do have problems with their uniform.

Hantsuki
January 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
We would not have to have staff members pull out students who try to look like "gangsters" all the time. I see a lot of students being sent to the office during passing period, and they come out with PE clothes because they broke the dress code.

Personally, I would not mind having a uniform, if the girls did not have to wear skirts.

Yamikarasu
January 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I had uniforms in my elementary school, but it wasn't like everyone had to wear exactly the same clothes. The only colors allowed were tan, navy, and white, but as long as you wore those colors than you were fine. i.e, you could where a white shirt and tan pants or a blue shirt and tan pants, etc. It still sucked.

Now my high school thankfully doesn't do any of that. I guess there are valid reasons for uniforms, like making everybody look the same so they feel equal, but there is a name for that: Communism. :P

In my opinion, there are better ways to deal with kids picking on other kids because they aren't wearing the "latest fashions."

Vernikova
January 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I had to wear uniform in Middle School but not anymore in High School. Or course, it has its upsides and downsides. With uniform, you don't need to buy so many clothes and just buy the number needed for how many days of school you have a week. A downside is that they come in really bad combinations sometimes. But that's just me.

In New York City, you can just wear normal clothes that are the same colors of the uniform though so it works out for people here.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
January 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I hate having to wear a uniform. But then, I hate any conformist type things.

Water Pokemon Trainer
January 10th, 2009, 09:54 AM
well it would make less debate about chavs, emos and wannabe gangstas and skaters if there were uniforms but then wearin the same goffy uniform time and time again would suck lol

Cassino
January 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
or...if you're at a private school that already has uniforms, you can think about what it's like if you didn't have school uniforms.
So... since all my schools were in England where uniform is mandatory, I imagine it with no uniform?

Well... being able to tell the chavs from the decent people would be a definite plus.
My self-amusement aside, after eleven years of it, I don't think there is anything good about school uniform. All the reasons in its favour are weak, so there's just no point in even bothering wasting people's money with it.

True Reign
January 10th, 2009, 09:59 AM
School uniforms are annoying to me. I remember I went to a public school, who wore uniforms, in Florida. Everywhere you look you see yourself, lol.

Zorua
January 10th, 2009, 10:22 AM
If my school had unforms, I would go crazy.

It would just be weird; my school is known for it's non-uniform dress code thingy, and well...it just wouldn't it. D:

Jorah
January 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
In England, it's normal to wear uniforms. I can hardly say mine was nice, it was quite cheap looking. We had to wear white polo t-shirt, black jumper, black trousers (or skirt if you want) and black shoes. I liked wearing uniform because on non-uniform days there was so much pressure to not look horrible...I ended up wearing uniform on non-uniform days because I couldn't be bothered. Our uniform was quite embarrassing compared to other schools, when we went to the Old Vic which is some sort of theatre, all these posh schools were there in blazers and ties...and we had jumpers and t-shirts XD

Our head-teacher used to say we didn't work as well on non-uniform days which is quite interesting...anyway, I liked wearing uniforms back then. I don't anymore now I'm in college. I find it funny some people from other countries are over-reacting at the thought of wearing uniform, heh.

Although, we didn't have to wear the schools stuff, you could get polo shirts from Asda or something, and some people wore tracksuits (chavs). I wore blue trainers XD We had to have the school's jumper, that's it though.

Cherrim
January 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I love uniforms and I wish it were plausible to enforce them at any mandatory school. My main reason for loving them is just because it's nice to get up and know exactly what you're going to wear--no thought process involved--because it's the only thing you can wear. I know I'm in the minority with this, though. XD; This doesn't mean I don't like wearing my own thing, but I actually found "Civvies Day" (the days we didn't have to wear our uniforms) to be kind of annoying sometimes. :[ I'd have to actually pay attention to what I was wearing. I really miss having them now that I'm in university.

But furthermore, it's a lot safer. You can easily pick out an intruder in the school or you can tell when someone doesn't belong. In a school of hundreds, this can be more important than you think. When something goes wrong in the cafeteria, it would be very helpful for a teacher on duty to be able to see if there's anything amiss at a simple glance.

The only problem I really have with uniforms is the cost. Since they have to be made out of a good material so they last long and keep up with heavy use, they can be pretty expensive. Factor in that you also need plainclothes to wear when you aren't at school and it can be a pretty hefty task for a struggling family. But as far as I know, most uniform-schools have either second-hand options or "donate your old uniform items" drives, etc.

I've never quite seen the big deal with showing off who you are with your clothes. Clothes may be representational of some of your likes and dislikes, but overall, they aren'y you. I've always found it much more interesting to see who stands out when everyone is supposed to look the same. Do something with your hair (if it's allowed), get a really interesting backpack, or maybe shape your personality to be more open/noticeable so everyone knows your name. I honestly don't understand the people who say uniforms take away all semblance of individuality. Honestly, I'd rather people be able to pick me out from a sea of clothes that all look the same than know me mostly because of crazy things I wear or something.

...And if you don't wear crazy stuff normally, what individuality are you talking about? :( Seriously, at every Civvies Day everyone would be wearing the same thing anyway. Just instead of uniform pants and shirts, they would be slightly-revealing tops and tight jeans (girls) or large shirts and saggy pants (guys). 8| It's all the same either way, imo.

Cassino
January 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I love uniforms and I wish it were plausible to enforce them at any mandatory school. My main reason for loving them is just because it's nice to get up and know exactly what you're going to wear--no thought process involved--because it's the only thing you can wear.
I never saw why people even need to think about that... I suppose each to their own, but aren't people that take time going to be getting out of bed earlier anyway?

But furthermore, it's a lot safer. You can easily pick out an intruder in the school or you can tell when someone doesn't belong.
FINALLY, a plausible reason.

...And if you don't wear crazy stuff normally, what individuality are you talking about? :( Seriously, at every Civvies Day everyone would be wearing the same thing anyway. Just instead of uniform pants and shirts, they would be slightly-revealing tops and tight jeans (girls) or large shirts and saggy pants (guys). 8| It's all the same either way, imo.
Individuality? It's just much nicer to wear boots, jeans and a shirt than it is to wear leather shoes, teflon trousers, a shirt that has to have the top button up on, a necktie and blazer.

Gerri Shin
January 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
My first high school required uniforms. they weren't bad though. we had a choice of Black, Navy, or khaki pants and white, maroon, green, or navy polos. In terms of uniforms I'd say they were pretty lax, though you still knew if someone wasn't supposed to be there.

s0nido
January 10th, 2009, 03:40 PM
School uniforms make mornings so much easier. You don't have to fret about what to wear, so it makes things much easier in the morning. Sure, the uniforms don't have to be so complex; a simple pair of trousers, a shirt and tie would do the trick. But no, they have to include a blazer, jumper and gray/white socks. And if you wear different coloured socks at our school, you get a detention. After school. Harsh, isn't it?

kingofjokers
January 10th, 2009, 04:12 PM
we have a code we have to follow so its a lose uniform a polo shirt and navy pants just nothing offensive

Sorano
January 10th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I'm kind of on the fence about this one. There are benefits of uniforms, such as making people feel less "out of the loop", I guess, and it would minimize the "popularity". Also, you wouldn't have to think about what to wear in the morning. But I feel like it does take away from peoples individuality if they have to wear the same thing as everyone else. As much as clothing doesn't fully represent who you are, it does help depict creativity. Also, without uniforms, people can wear what makes them feel comfortable and good about themselves.

I like the look of some uniforms, but I'd prefer it if schools didn't have such a strict dress code. I love wearing really big, comfy sweaters and jeans to school, and I like shopping for new clothes and seeing everyone's different outfits. XD;

Unforgettable
January 10th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I went to a middle school with an almost uniform dress code. Polo shirts, dress pants, etc. People always find a way to make fun of others. It could be over brand, over hair, over shoes, over socks, anything. It made people dress less revealing when they got to high school, but that was about it.

Guillermo
January 10th, 2009, 08:39 PM
We have uniforms at the school I go to and I don't hate them. If you're given the choice to wear casual uniform, you can get picked on for your style of clothing and get bullied or something terrible like that. Whereas with uniform, everyone wears the same thing.

And not having to think about what to wear in the morning is always a bonus in my book.

Our uniform is kind of cool looking anyway.

Melody
January 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I wore a uniform in school for 4 years, and I actually liked it. Like Lightning, I'm of the minority who has the mindframe that dislikes paying attention to details such as clothes. Like seriously, I still wear khaki pants (this was part of the uniform I wore all though middle school). They're comfortable. Granted I'm a bit less strict, I dont wear a belt and I dont tuck my shirt in, but, I like the look. (I just wear assorted shirts, based upon my mood, and what's clean.)

Haza
January 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Last year my school had uniforms but it was still ghetto. It had them since 2002 but the class of 2009 lifted it for us this year. "09"!

Capt. Couch
January 11th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I wouldn't mind having a school uniform. To be honest, I don't see why so many students are against school uniforms so that they can all "look different" when they typically dress like everybody else, with every seven out of ten people dressing in Hollister/Aeropostle/Emo/Goth/Whatever crap it is that makes you feel "different" while it is the same in reality.

I could care less either way if I was ordered to wear a school uniform since I can still keep my style without having to choose what clothes to wear.

While I don't mean to make myself sound like a hypocrite, the way I dress is similar to the way many other people dress, but in my situation of where I go to school, it's as if I'm a stain on the pink trendy t-shirt of the student body. I like being that way. :)

Gumball Watterson
January 11th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I don't like school uniforms. If they get too strict to the point were pants go too high or boring or WORSE! EXACT SAME HAIR! *dies*

As long as I keep my hair, I don't care, but I still dislike them for their extreme formality. How else am I going to identify the girl I like? Those things could easily get you flirting with a gay teacher rather than that hot girl you saw at lunch.

Swift!
January 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM
School uniforms suck...

I had to wear a white short sleeved button-up shirt, grey dress pants, black leather shoes, a green tie with white stripes and a thick black jacket (if it was cold).

EDIT: We also weren't allowed to have hair that wasn't our natural colour, no spiked hair either, our pants had to be up around our belly buttons and our ties nearly choking us to death.

I'm glad I dropped out...

Idiot!
January 11th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Here, everyone who goes to school wear uniform. Except the staff. I hate wearing my uniform. It's hot, stuffy and uncomfortable. At least it's my last year of school uniform.

Gold warehouse
January 11th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I have no problem with uniforms, but I do have a problem with my schools uniform. It's entirely black. I hate black. It's so bland and dull. I would much rather have a green or even orange uniform, anything but black.

Mitchman
January 11th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Lol vendak your lucky i mean all black is cool imo

Gold warehouse
January 11th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Lol vendak your lucky i mean all black is cool imo

Even when all 1,000 pupils are wearing it? It's how I imagine a Nazi school would've looked like.

Professor JIN
January 11th, 2009, 07:39 AM
What do you mean *if* my school had uniforms.

In England, every school (ages 5-16) has a compulsory uniform that has to be worn. There are sanctions for not wearing it correctly such as exclusion/suspension.

I go to a boarding school and the school day finishes at 3:30pm so it's not too bad.

Cherrim
January 11th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I never saw why people even need to think about that... I suppose each to their own, but aren't people that take time going to be getting out of bed earlier anyway?
I suppose, but I like sleeping in as late as possible. :( In order to do that, I have to set my clothes out ahead of time to make sure I'm not accidentally wearing something that totally clashes though I bet I do anyway, or is stained, etc. It seems like a stupid reason but when you stop and think about the thought that goes into choosing your clothes, whether you care a lot about them or not, it is a significant time thing. Well, to me anyway.
Individuality? It's just much nicer to wear boots, jeans and a shirt than it is to wear leather shoes, teflon trousers, a shirt that has to have the top button up on, a necktie and blazer.
Well, a lot of people are bringing up individuality as one of their main reasons for disliking uniforms. :| When everyone seems to be wearing the same thing anyway, I find it ridiculous. Maybe instead of petitioning to get rid of uniforms altogether, petition for a dress code instead, or see if it'd be plausible to add more items to the uniform, or change the uniform to be more stylish or something.

Each school is different. :( My uniform was just a white, branded polo shirt and black pants. Optionally, you could wear a pullover sweater, long shirt, vest, etc. but they weren't required. The uniform was actually really comfy but I can see how anything more would be really annoying.

Mooshykris
January 11th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I think uniforms in general are cool.

I like it when I see people dressing "NICELY" for things, instead of going with whatever they want, it looks bad to me :(

~Mooshykris

Goðafoss
January 12th, 2009, 03:59 AM
If our school had uniforms, I'd probably switch schools. o-o;

An-chan
January 12th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I suppose, but I like sleeping in as late as possible. :( In order to do that, I have to set my clothes out ahead of time to make sure I'm not accidentally wearing something that totally clashes though I bet I do anyway, or is stained, etc. It seems like a stupid reason but when you stop and think about the thought that goes into choosing your clothes, whether you care a lot about them or not, it is a significant time thing. Well, to me anyway.

I also like to sleep late and not think about what I put on when I actually do get up. Thus, I'm usually late from school, because we don't have any kind of uniforms. Actually, our school is the opposite. It would be the uteer nightmare of some English or Japanese principal. Our students wear super-short mini skirts, very revealing shirts, ripped pants, all colours of the rainbow at once, clothes gotten from a trash can, frills, ruffles, laces, and bowties, sometimes even all that at once. Then there are normal-ish people who dress in jeans and some casual top, and then we have ultra-trendy upper class people. Of course, everyone judges everyone based on their clothes. Another reason to wish for an uniform... I'm tired of seeing my friends glare at people just because they dress in showy clothes.

But the main reason I've always wanted a school uniform in my school is that my family is fairly poor. I don't have the money to buy all sorts of nice and expensive clothes like some of my friends do. I don't have the money to buy two skirts instead of one just because the other one would go so well with that one shirt. Thus, my clothes have always looked a bit funny, so to say, and I've been embarassed because of them for many, many times. All that could have been avoided if I could have just put on my uniform and gone to school looking like everyone else...

I've never tried, though, so I might have a completely wrong idea of what it is to wear a school uniform to school every day. There are no schools with uniforms here. I kind of wonder why that is..?

Kazukii
January 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I have uniform. It's good in the way that it makes everybody equal. Nobody looks different particuarly.

the bitter end.
January 12th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I would die, or refuse to wear it. Uniforms suck! D=<

wolf
January 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Uniforms are okay, it makes everyone the same though... It does stop from people wearing weird stuff though!

evilishan
January 12th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Uniforms are good, it's the best thing to prevent things like a social heirachy.

beauty. proletariat
January 13th, 2009, 02:25 AM
School uniforms make you look (shot) good in an odd way XD

I'm all up for the professional look, and school uniform provide that with an excuse XD