PDA

View Full Version : What is the Greatest RPG of all Time?

A Pixy
January 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM
RPGs, it started of with Final Fantasy and EXPLODED in America to be one of the top genres. And while RPGs hold some of the best games ever made the next 5 you see are the best of the best. They are all made by Square and all ROCK. Please, this is my opinion, wanting to know about your opinion and when it comes straight down to it, the next five are the BEST of the BEST

THE NOMINEES ARE:

FINAL FANTASY VII

SUPER MARIO RPG: LEGEND OF THE 7 STARS

SECRET OF MANA

CHRONO TRIGGER

KINGDOM HEARTS II

Those 5 are put here for:

soundtrack
story
gameplay
OMG moments and so much other. As for my opinion, Chrono Trigger all the way.

GFA
January 14th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Ummh, those are only video game RPG's not fair man. What about stuff like D&D? FYI it started with D&D if you want to get technical. FF only brought it to video gamers

spike6958
January 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
FF VII is my favorite RPG of all time, the only other one in the list that i played is Kingdom Hearts 2, I'm not sure if the others have even been released in Europe.

Ummh, those are only video game RPG's not fair man. What about stuff like D&D? FYI it started with D&D if you want to get technical. FF only brought it to video gamers

How on earth is it not fair, this is a section about video games not board games, also D&D and all the sort of stuff is for people who have no lives at all, if there is anything about this that isn't fair it's that we have to pick from his list of favorites and not allowed to choose one that we may think is better than them, because for some people none of these five may be what they consider the best RPG in the world, and for people like in Europe who haven't even been able to play some of them there is pretty much nothing to choose from.

Wulf
January 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Final Fanasty wasn't the 1st RPG. Dragonstomper came out before, if I recall correctly.
Also, why is it all Square stuff? There's much better RPGs out there, in my opinion. I'm sorry for being so harsh like, this, but I'm kinda just curious.

Bianca Paragon
January 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM
None of the above.
Xenosaga Episode III is the greatest RPG ever made~
Fact. <--All your answers are opinions, mine is fact, so you might as well close the thread :3

Alistair
January 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Actually, you are incorrect. Dragon Quest came before Final Fantasy and is considered to be the pioneer of all console RPGs. Adventure for the Atari 2600 is considered to be the first console RPG, though.

Anyway, as GFA said, this poll is not fair at all. You are missing out on excellent titles such as Ys Book 1, Xenogears, Dragon Quest V, Shining in the Darkness, and other amazing titles. My vote for the games on the list, though, goes to Chrono Trigger, with Super Mario RPG coming in a close second. It is so much more involving than Final Fantasy VII, which was awful in my opinion.

Caelus
January 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Out of the ones listed Super Mario RPG is my favorite.
I like how you can hit a certain at the right time to inflict damage or prevent some damage.
My favorite RPG is Paper Mario, but that one isn't listed. Super Mario RPG is still one of my favorite games, though.

Gold warehouse
January 15th, 2009, 08:00 AM
From that list, FF is the clear winner.

AtomicoExploda
January 15th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I voted FFVII but it should be just final fantasy why FFVII not everyone thinks thats the best but it's pretty great so yeah, FFVII all the way!! xD Kingdom Hearts ain't as good as FF.

Jeremy
January 15th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Well sweeties, time for me express my opinion.

Final Fantasy 7 is the most OVERATED Final Fantasy game, ever.
It turning point were Square started being full of themselves, and the angsty anime style hero was cool.
Personally I prefer Final Fantasy 6 on Super Famicom for it had everything; music, graphics, game play, and likable characters.
Call me a baka or a non-conformist, but this is my truly my opinion.

Also, where's EarthBound/Mother 2, sweetie? =/

NoBel_ToKYo ™
January 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM
The ones i have played there are:

FFVII
Chrono Trigger
Kingdom Hearts II (why isn't the first one on here? in some ways i think it's better)
Super Mario RPG

And i honestly can't choose. XD i'd have thought the popular choice for the more hardcore/long time gamers would be Chrono Trigger, however i do have a soft spot for FF and Kingdom hearts. And i agree with Jeremy, the Mother series should be on here!

Arcanine
January 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I voted KH2. It's tied with my fav RPG (in fact it's tied with my fav games). My fav RPG is Kingdom Hearts 2, and Final Fantasy X. Personally, I find FFVII just too overrated. I mean I loved the game, if there's going to be a remake on the PS3 I'll be there day 1 to get it. But the game is just overrated.

Volkner's Apprentice
January 15th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I voted KHII as well. Too good, just tooooo good. Though it's not my all time favorite, out of those it most certainly is. Great plot, fun characters, great depth..what more do you need?

SBaby
January 17th, 2009, 12:05 AM
soundtrack
story
gameplay
OMG moments and so much other. As for my opinion, Chrono Trigger all the way.

One question. Where is Xenosaga? The Xenosaga series (including Xenogears) easily has one of the best storylines, and some of the best music ever heard in any video game series (yes, it even trumps Final Fantasy in many instances).

Anyway, out of the options I'd say Chrono Trigger because the music is some of the best out of any Square-Enix game and the story, while simplistic nowadays was very original for its time.

Akeraz
January 17th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Also, where's EarthBound/Mother 2, sweetie? =/

I'm asking that question too. Why the hell isn't the Mother/Earthbound series here?
Out of the five, I voted for FFVII. But my Favourite RPG game has to be Mother 3.

Cassino
January 18th, 2009, 08:33 AM
All J-RPGs? Poor poll, I'll say.

parallelzero
January 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Where's Fallout?
Where's Fable?
Where's Elder Scrolls?
Hell, where's Tales of?

The voting list is a poor representation of RPGs, and it's just basically what you played and what you liked, ignoring the hundreds of other RPGs out there. Oo I don't really like North American-made RPGs myself, but I agree that they should have some sort of representation.

icomeanon6
January 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Yeah, this poll kind of screwed over the west. If the title were "best J-RPG," then this poll would be a little more acceptable. Even so, the fact that these are all Square games isn't exactly fair. What about Mother 3? That game was amazing. You could have at least put an "other" option. Also, having "The Secret of Mana" in there is just inexcusable. It's story was laughable, and the mechanics were awkward, the character designs weren't that good, and the music was downright annoying. I hate to be blunt, but the Mana series sucks.

Out of the choices you have, I would pick FFVII. I think it had the most memorable atmosphere, and by far the best story and music.

Final Fantasy 7 is the most OVERATED Final Fantasy game, ever.
What about Final Fantasy VIII? That game was about 4/5 cutscenes, 1/10 loading times, and 1/10 game.

ソラ
January 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I voted KHII
But Overall, I think The Kingdom Hearts Series is the Best.

CarniE
January 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Kingdom Hearts 2 was my favorite

Fox♠
January 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I find it odd that you didn't involve pokemon as a choice on a Pokemon forum.

Either way, Final Fantasy 6 and 9 are both far better than FF7. Like others have said, that's a really poor list you put up.

kabigon
January 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Chorono trigger is WAY better than the MOST OVERRATED GAME EVER final fantasy 7. Also, even though it's not on the list, final fantasy 6 is also superior to ff7. better story, characters, and villain.

matt561
January 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
As much as i hated the first installment

I loved Kingdom hearts II great game so complete

Though i fail to see why Oddworld:Abes Exodus isent in that list that game was and still is awsome

Zet
January 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
What about Final Fantasy VIII? That game was about 4/5 cutscenes, 1/10 loading times, and 1/10 game.
I dunno FFX kinda topped that being half movie and half game, seriously, how awesome was that?

well with the poor list, I had trouble choosing between the Secret of Mana and KH2 but in the end, I picked KH2 for how short long it is, gameplay, and battle style and mainly because I love the KH games

angelsavoir
January 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I voted for Final fanasy 7. Its the first ps one game I have ever played.. I liked the storyline alot to.

Guillermo
January 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Where in the world is Fable?

Anywho, I voted for KH2. The depth put into it is far better than the other few.. terrible choices up there.

Astinus
January 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM
How can Chrono Trigger even be considered "terrible"? Out of the ones listed in this poll, it's my favorite one for not only the nostalgia factor, but also the music, the characters, the storyline, and how open-ended it is. The battle system is also great, because it's not one of those "line up in a perfect row" thing.

Final Fantasy IV was also great. Same with FFVI.

And yeah, FFVII is extremely over-rated. It wasn't anything special, but everyone thinks it's the best FF out there. There's not a lot of focus on FFVIII being the "best RPG of all time". It's all FFVII that I hear.

icomeanon6
January 18th, 2009, 09:25 PM
And yeah, FFVII is extremely over-rated. It wasn't anything special, but everyone thinks it's the best FF out there. There's not a lot of focus on FFVIII being the "best RPG of all time". It's all FFVII that I hear.
I really tried to enjoy FFVIII because the visuals were so amazing, but I just didn't think it was any fun. I don't think there's any doubt that VII had much better mechanics than VIII. VIII had terribly unbalanced gameplay, and not only because the GFs were so overpowered. Drawing magic is one of the few things that is more boring than leveling up. While I was playing it, I was constantly thinking, "If this had as good gameplay as the others, it would be the best."

So, while FFVIII excelled in cinematic presentation and atmosphere, I thought it was cripplingly inadequate in the most important part of any game: the game part. If it was a movie, I'd probably love it. But, it's a game, and terrible gameplay can't be excused in my book. I place FFVII far above it simply because I had a lot more fun with it.

PokemonMichael
January 18th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Kingdom Hearts II
where is Super Mario 64?

icomeanon6
January 18th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Kingdom Hearts II
where is Super Mario 64?

I hate to disappoint you, but Super Mario 64 is a platformer, not an RPG. Maybe you're thinking of one of the Zelda games, they have some RPG elements.

ソラ
January 19th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Chorono trigger is WAY better than the MOST OVERRATED GAME EVER final fantasy 7. Also, even though it's not on the list, final fantasy 6 is also superior to ff7. better story, characters, and villain.
Yah, Chrono Trigger is amazing, But I still think Final Fantasy VII(it self alone) without all the others, just the PS1 game.

Well wheres The World Ends With You, that game is amazing too. even tho its still pretty new.

NoBel_ToKYo ™
January 19th, 2009, 04:00 AM
It seems to be tradition that an RPG becomes great through the test of time. With some exceptions XD

The kingdom hearts series is one of those...the second one completely PWNED the first in it's gameplay, but i just think the first one's story was more..Heartfelt. Not that the second wasn't, but the first was just more so.

jubjub
January 21st, 2009, 10:37 AM
FF gets my vote. I played Kingdom of hearts but I always thought it was a bit weird cause your weapon can be a Key!!How boring is that!!

Slimer
January 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM
From the Poll Options...

Chrono Trigger - Good graphics, amazing music, and great story. One of the best SNES games.

Not on the poll...

Final Fantasy 6 (3 on SNES) - Same pluses as Chrono Trigger but I think FF6 does them all better. I would say it's the best Final Fantasy game too.

evilishan
January 21st, 2009, 01:34 PM
KH2 anyday, (I love OXIII).The list is OK,but where's Tales of Phantasia?

kidpunk
January 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Very poor poll.
Only FF7 and KH2 are the only decent ones on the list.
The best RPG, in my opinion, is the Mother Series (Earthbound).