PDA

View Full Version : Plane Down in Hudson River

Luigi-San
January 15th, 2009, 03:34 PM
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A US Airways plane was down in the Hudson River on Thursday after attempting to take off from LaGuardia Airport, officials said.
US Airways Flight 1549, an Airbus A320, was headed to Charlotte, North Carolina, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
A passenger said he was "pretty sure" everybody on the plane got out.
"Somehow, the plane stayed afloat and we were all able to get on a raft," said the passenger, Alberto Panero. "It's just incredible now that everyone's still alive."
A New Jersey State Police source told CNN the pilot radioed to air traffic controllers that he had experienced a bird strike -- when a bird or flock of birds is sucked into the jet engine -- and declared an emergency.
FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown also said preliminary information indicates a bird strike. The plane was in the air for about three minutes before it went down, the FAA said.
U.S. Coast Guard units were responding, and a ferry on site was dropping life jackets into the water.
The New York Times, citing a local TV station, reported that the aircraft had 146 passengers and 5 crew members aboard.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/15/new...ash/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/15/new.york.plane.crash/index.html)

Thank god everyone survived.

s0nido
January 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Lucky. At least the plane went down rather than crashing.

And I wonder how a bird could down a plane...

♣Gawain♣
January 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
The good thing is, the plane crashed landed on a sea, rather than land. If it were, the plane's momentum would send its passengers to their graveyards.

Volkner's Apprentice
January 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
My mom kept flipping out about this, haha. It's good no one was hurt; DANG BIRDS. When she told me a flock of birds brought it down, it kind of made me lose faith in our pilots. XD Not really, but it must have been one heck of a flock.

Netto Azure
January 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I know. I showed the BBC article to Aura and he was like...O_O "You get ur news fast." XD
But at least everyone's safe and sound. ^_^

the bitter end.
January 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
My mom kept flipping out about this, haha. It's good no one was hurt; DANG BIRDS. When she told me a flock of birds brought it down, it kind of made me lose faith in our pilots. XD Not really, but it must have been one heck of a flock.

Or they were all Zapdos. Any who, it's good they survived, I'm glad.

Tyrantrum
January 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I just saw this on TV. D:

THIS is why I hate planes. -.-

icomeanon6
January 15th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Wow, it's amazing that no one was even hurt.

Well, it's not exactly good for the plane when a bird flies into its engine and causes it to become non-functional.

THIS is why I hate planes. -.-

What's with all the hatred for airplanes in this thread? Flying in a plane is safer than driving a car!

God
January 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Lucky. At least the plane went down rather than crashing.

Bird in motor = you are stuffed.

Thank God there were no deaths, considering that my mom knows a guy on that plane.

BeachBoy
January 16th, 2009, 01:41 AM
What's with all the hatred for airplanes in this thread? Flying in a plane is safer than driving a car!Agreed, people always saying how they hate planes due to possible crash, yet they greatly risk their lives in cars. :|

Just goes to show how a seasoned pilot knows how to land the sucker. Turned off all air flow through the plane to float, assistants made sure to go out the front not to dip the plane under... talk about execution. Glad everyone's gonna be fine. :D

And I wonder how a bird could down a plane...Birds tear up the blades, which in turn tear up the engine, and then everything goes downhill from there.

Lucy Lu
January 16th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I can't believe a goose got into the engine and stalled everything. Too bad that goose is cooked, but at least the pilot kept his cool and landed the plane safely. That was wonderful thinking in his part. He is going to get a medal for that. =D And his passengers will never forget him. Ever.

Blue_Drifblim
January 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Absolutely nothing short of a miracle.

Volknerz
January 16th, 2009, 11:51 PM
freakin birds >=( at least their alright

Mitchman
January 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Yay for the passengers and all. But one true question:
The cooked goose was it tasty XD

Yrie
January 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Yeah, I heard about that on the radio, and it freaked me out at first until they said no one died. The thing was, my friend's neighbor or aunt or someone along those lines was supposed to have been on that plane, but she arrived at the airport late and missed it.

Alakazam17
January 17th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I heard about this in several places, starting with the Daily Show and then the BBS. On the latter, it showed an image of a plane off the coast of Africa attempting to land in the same manner, and failing. So I guess it was quite a feat to land that plane in the river without any loss of human life. Both of the wings had to have hit the water at exactly the same time, or else this story would have been much more somber.

So the pilot gets my praise, as well as the praise of his passengers. ^^

True Reign
January 17th, 2009, 09:30 AM
When a bird gets into one of the jet engines, it ruins the fans which enables the plane/jet to fly. Alot of people are saying it's the pilot's fault, when they have nothing to do with it. A bird strike is extremely uncommon these days and they don't have many safety presigers since you can't do anything about it.

Also luckily, nobody died.

HEAT WAVE
January 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
The Pilot of the plane is a true hero who ranks just higher with the guy who who saved the other man from being ran down by a subway train. Both of these incidents do show the heroism in this world, or at least the nation.

wolf
January 17th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I thought they were very lucky to get everyone out! Hehe, that must have been a huge flock of birds! lol Well, at least everyone got out safe, that is what is important! ;)

wakachamo
January 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Guys, if a bird takes down a single engine by chance, it's not going to crash. >_> A plane is perfectly capable of flying with just one engine, no matter how many it has in total.

The fact of the matter is that the flock of geese managed to hit both engines, this time rendering the plane completely useless.

If the flock had only hit one engine, they would either land safely back in La Guardia, or just keep flying. There's no biggie in having an engine down. If you know how to fly, you're perfectly capable of handling a plane that is working on only one side.

The good thing is, the plane crashed landed on a sea, rather than land. If it were, the plane's momentum would send its passengers to their graveyards.

You're very wrong. Landing on water is actually more dangerous than attempting to touchdown in actual land. Firstly because your gear is useless in water for obvious reasons, and secondly, the water's actually capable of completely destroying a plane. So getting a plane on land is actually much safer. I don't see how you would die by getting an emergency landing on proper ground when you can just touchdown and brake normally. o_O

~SilverSoul
January 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I praise the pilot so much, and he is officially a hero in my eyes from what he just did. I was amazed when I heard he managed to land a plane without killing a single person. Apparently he was the perfect guy to land this plane because he was a pilot in the Air Force and.........something else. I really can't remember :D

Feel sorry for those birds though.

The Post Count
January 18th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Thank god it was a river and not some city or town.

The pilot is a hero <3