PDA

View Full Version : PETA's New Campaign To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"

pkmnhippy
January 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM
PETA's reached a new level of madness...

http://www.newsday.com/iphone/ny-peta-seakittens,0,2589330.story

New PETA campaign to rename fish 'sea kittens' (http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/ny-peta-seakittens,0,1126182.story)

BY JESSICA DAMIANO |[email protected]:44 AM EST, January 15, 2009

PETA, the group behind the "I'd Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur" campaign, has a new target -- fish eaters. In attempt to pressure consumers with guilt, the group wants fish to be rebranded as "sea kittens."

According to "Sea Kitten Facts" on its Web site (http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/about.asp), fish feel pain and affection, they enjoy being petted and they communicate with one another. "Who could possibly want to put a hook through a sea kitten?"

The rebranding strategy is similar to that used by the organization when it referred to McDonald's (http://www.newsday.com/topic/lifestyle-leisure/dining-drinking/mcdonalds-PLENT000009.topic) as "McCruelty" and Burger King (http://www.newsday.com/topic/lifestyle-leisure/dining-drinking/burger-king-PLENT000012.topic) as "Murder King."

The sea kitten campaign Web site, which targets children with cartoon-like illustrations and under-the-sea sound effects, includes a petition to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to "stop promoting the hunting of sea kittens" (4,263 signatures as of this writing), bedtime stories (What keeps sea kittens up at night?) and the sale of sea kitten merchandise. Kids can even design their own sea kitten, name it, attire it with a princess dress and tiara and e-mail it to friends.

"People don't seem to like fish," a notice on the site reads. "They're slithery and slimy... Of course, if you look at it another way, what all this really means is that fish need to fire their PR guy... When your name can also be used as a verb that means driving a hook through your head, it's time for a serious image makeover."

Is the group playing dirty by targeting the emotions of impressionable youngsters?

PETA is well-known for its no-holds-barred activism, including the infamous red-paint attacks on people wearing fur coats and its 2003 "Holocaust on Your Plate" campaign, in which the group compared factory farming to the Nazi genocide. Some campaigns have failed but others, like "McCruelty" and "Murder King" have raised awareness and even brought change, the group says, taking credit for new animal welfare practices at the two fast food companies.

The sea-kitten site includes a link to Fishinghurts.com (http://fishinghurts.com/), another PETA endeavor, which addresses worldwide environmental concerns about over-fishing, and several sea kitten "facts" such as "some sea kittens tend well-kept gardens" and "A University of Edinburgh study found that sea kittens can retain information that they learned up to 11 months earlier, which makes them cuter and smarter than the president of the United States!"Screenshot of the site: http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2009-01/44529378.jpg
Sea Kitten Web site (http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/index.asp)

Check the site out, you can make gangster Sea Kittens, WHICH IS AWESOME, AND THEY ARE CUTER AND SMARTER THEN GEORGE BUSH!

Discuss.

the bitter end.
January 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM
What the hell? Sea kittens? This is screwed up.

Metatron
January 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
While I do agree with some of PETA's stances on animal cruelty, I'm actually laughing my ass off right now after reading that article XD;

Plus, it's kind of sickening to know that they're now targeting children for recruitment.

...This is almost as retarded as their "holocaust on your plate" campaign from a few years back.

Aurafire
January 15th, 2009, 04:36 PM
PETA should really just shut up...I swear some of those people aren't right in the head. I understand the whole animal cruelty stance, but now they are just getting ridiculous and it makes it hard for me to take them seriously. I mean, c'mon: "Seak Kittens"? XD

Josephine
January 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Sounds great to me, if it's true about them being that concious about things (The garden fact on their site, petting etc.) then I say it's plain wrong to kill 'em.

Besides, fish tastes foul. xD

icomeanon6
January 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM
What a coincidence, I just had some sea kittens for dinner.

Seriously, though, I think those nutcases have stooped to a new low. You'd think that a simple high school course in biology would convince them that animals aren't people. There's just no reasoning for that kind of viewpoint. Besides, comparing the anatomy and intelligence of fish to cats is just idiotic. And, though I'm really not a cat person, it's a major insult to kittens.

Come on, fish are the Magikarp of the animal kingdom: They're as dumb as dirt and they aren't as well evolved as we are.

s0nido
January 15th, 2009, 05:51 PM
What's the world coming to? Sea Kittens? And I suppose we should call trees 'tall green people'? I think not.

pkmnhippy
January 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
It's just a campaign for little kids to want to stop eating fish, don't take it too seriously.
I love how they say Fish are cuter and smarter than George Bush: http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm43/pkmnhippy/2009-01-16_085253.png

Harley Quinn
January 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM
When I originally saw this on the news, I said "You cannot be-" and then I said some bad things about PETA.

This is worse than when they tried to replace cow milk with breast milk in icecreams.

s0nido
January 15th, 2009, 08:01 PM
This is worse than when they tried to replace cow milk with breast milk in icecreams.

PETA tried to do that?? Oh dear lord, what is the world truly coming to?

I mean, its okay to protect animals which we don't actually have to hunt, but fish? We need fish to develop our brains! I don't think PETA officials have been eating many fish lately. Seriously, protecting tigers and other endangered wildlife that humans are cruelly poaching is one thing, but fish? So stupid.

the bitter end.
January 15th, 2009, 08:10 PM
PETA tried to do that?? Oh dear lord, what is the world truly coming to?

I mean, its okay to protect animals which we don't actually have to hunt, but fish? We need fish to develop our brains! I don't think PETA officials have been eating many fish lately. Seriously, protecting tigers and other endangered wildlife that humans are cruelly poaching is one thing, but fish? So stupid.

We are totally agreed here.

Mario The World Champion
January 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
After reading this, I think I'll have some "sea kittens" for dinner tomorrow! And then I'll have a nice, big steak during the weekend.

icomeanon6
January 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM
After reading this, I think I'll have some "sea kittens" for dinner tomorrow! And then I'll have a nice, big steak during the weekend.
How do you like to cook your sea kittens? I like to fry my sea kittens and serve them with cocktail sauce. Sea kittens are so nutritious!

Speaking of steak, you know what'd be great? If PETA told us that we had to call cows "Land Dolphins."

xD

Mario The World Champion
January 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM
How do you like to cook your sea kittens? I like to fry my sea kittens and serve them with cocktail sauce. Sea kittens are so nutritious!

Speaking of steak, you know what'd be great? If PETA told us that we had to call cows "Land Dolphins."

xD

I'm a fan of fish and chips. Or should it be called "sea kittens" and chips?

Capt. Couch
January 15th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Ha ha, freaking fantastic. :D

To be honest with you, PETA might get a few things done when the ASPCA doesn't, but they overdo it. Tenfold. They're a rather hypocritical organization who has an increasingly high euthanasia rate, much higher than the National Humane Society.

But seriously, sea kittens? Should we call chickens "land fish?" Or maybe we should call deer "forest whales?" *rolls eyes at PETA for the millionth time*

I think maybe it's the human breast milk in their ice cream that's getting them...

Hiidoran
January 15th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I swear that PETA becomes more extremist every time I hear something about them. Seriously, some vegetarians, Pesca-vegetarians, even eat fish; now they're just really pushing veganism.

I'll admit, the world is overfishing a bit, but there really isn't a need to try and make a huge deal of saving them. Simply cutting down on fishing licenses and restricting access to certain spawning grounds would suffice. Soon they're going to start attacking the fishing market for growing them in farms. *Sigh*

Oh, and PETA targeting children is nothing new. Have you ever seen the little package they send you if you show interest in their group? It's just full of little stickers and such with cute little cartoon chickens blazoned with the slogan, "I am not a nugget."
(Admittedly though, that is a funny slogan. XD)

BeachBoy
January 15th, 2009, 09:48 PM

xDAhahaha. XD

I really dislike this move. D: I love "fish" (not as food, but the name) Now "sea kittens"? What's next?

*sighs* PETA. v_v I love what they stand for, but the lengths they go to...

Mario The World Champion
January 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I swear that PETA becomes more extremist every time I hear something about them. Seriously, some vegetarians, Pesca-vegetarians, even eat fish; now they're just really pushing veganism.

I'll admit, the world is overfishing a bit, but there really isn't a need to try and make a huge deal of saving them. Simply cutting down on fishing licenses and restricting access to certain spawning grounds would suffice. Soon they're going to start attacking the fishing market for growing them in farms. *Sigh*

Oh, and PETA targeting children is nothing new. Have you ever seen the little package they send you if you show interest in their group? It's just full of little stickers and such with cute little cartoon chickens blazoned with the slogan, "I am not a nugget."
(Admittedly though, that is a funny slogan. XD)

After I read that part about chickens and nuggets you said, it makes me want to go to McCruelty before work tomorrow and get me a 10 piece.

And about the cartoon chickens, yes you are not a nugget. You are a leg, a wing, a thigh, a breast and crispy strips. XD

♣Gawain♣
January 15th, 2009, 11:47 PM
That thing is totally insane. That's animal cruelty you know! Using fishes(images and graphics) for recreation purposes.

s0nido
January 16th, 2009, 01:43 AM
If we don't fish for 'sea kittens', their numbers will be out of control. Sharks are already endangered, and they alone can't keep the numbers of fish down. There will be an explosion in the number of fish, and there will be problems with the sea getting crowded.

Gold warehouse
January 16th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Good luck PETA [/sarcasm]

They aren't really doing themselves any favours, stuff like this makes them look like a joke; not people who eat fish.

Josephine
January 16th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Hahahaha, I love how I was the only one to agree. xDD

Tangerine Fox
January 16th, 2009, 08:34 AM
This is just another example of ridiculous propaganda and resource-wasting crap that is so characteristic of PETA. :/

They're a pathetic, hypocritical excuse of an organization that tries to prove its points via extremist propaganda and over-the-top stunts. I would much rather support the ASPCA or WWF than that obnoxious group. You know, people that actually care about both humans and animals and get things done in a reasonable manner.

The way PETA tries to manipulate people, especially children, is just sad. I don't think every supporter of PETA is a screwball, but a huge chunk of them are. PETA might occasionally make a change for the positive, but when they "adopt" hundreds of animals, only to euthanize them and throw them in dumpsters, I can't take them as seriously looking in the animal's best interests. Plus, encouraging vandalism and giving children graphic comics titled "Your Mommy Kills Bunnies" aren't good ways to earn my respect, either.

Lucy Lu
January 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Man, what is PETA thinking now? I swear this is getting ridiculous! Now they want everyone call fish "Sea Kittens"?! What the...? I am sorry, but we do need some "Sea Kittens" to survive you know. I really hope they are not changing the names of a cow, chicken, or fur...but I won't be surprised. They should be concerned about animal cruelty, not what we are eating, drinking, or wearing! They are so closed-mined it isn't funny. >>;

Mitchman
January 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Sea kittens? SEA FREAKING KITTENS?! Wow looks like Peta has gone off the wall into insanity lane. Seriously the best part has to be the kids. What next cows are land birds? Oh and dogs and cats are fish and bugs dont forget. But sea kittens. You know i want to know who the hell is funding them. Ah i know this is all secretly funded by the nazis. nah just kidding but sea kittens? Damn i am laughing harder then the fact that a plane went down due to birds.

Josephine
January 16th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Hahaha, this thread is so one sided that I'm being completely ignored. xDDD

Went
January 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM
This... is... XD
Some countries even eat their dogs, so, uh, this really doesn't make any sense XD
So I'm waiting for their next move: vegetarians are a bunch of murderers who enjoy eating the plants some people grow in their houses. That's so cruel! Better let's all die of hunger but without damaging any living being :)

One thing is not overkilling fish, or catching little ones we can't eat... but trying to make us not to eat meat nor fish, that's not even healthy.

Jorah
January 16th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Oh, that's the cutest name ever! Sea kittens! Aww! Although, they're completly crazy.

s0nido
January 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Sea kittens? SEA FREAKING KITTENS?! Wow looks like Peta has gone off the wall into insanity lane. Seriously the best part has to be the kids. What next cows are land birds? Oh and dogs and cats are fish and bugs dont forget. But sea kittens. You know i want to know who the hell is funding them. Ah i know this is all secretly funded by the nazis. nah just kidding but sea kittens? Damn i am laughing harder then the fact that a plane went down due to birds.

They're being funded by donations from people that care. Not that I do.

PS: You're spelling's terrible X|

Pikachu231
January 16th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Even though I hate to eat fish but really, Sea Kittens? The **** is up with that? It's like calling cows, "Four-legged mothers".When I heard of that,I laugh like hell.XD And PETA can go fun themselves! It's time for an new group, PETA! Short for People Eating Tasty Animlas.:P

Yrie
January 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Okay then? Even if they were named Sea Kittens, most people probably would still call them "fish", and people would probably still continue to eat them. I don't eat fish, but I'm doubtful of how successful this campaigne will be.

Spinor
January 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
This is the most insane group I've ever heard about.

These people probably evolved from Turkeys. Even IF some stupidity like this gets passed, children will still think "It's okay to eat Sea Kittens, but not kittens! Got it :3."

I understand what they did with McCruelty but Murder King?! Sea Kittens? I'd rather go naked than wear fur?!

What the waffles?

If they make a campaigne that relates to importing from Japan, they'red gonna make 4Kids look like the government with Barack Obama.

Seriously...

</rant>

Michii
January 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Sea kittens! And if you look in the sky, you can see the winged feather-puppies!

Netto Azure
January 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Ahahaha. XD

I really dislike this move. D: I love "fish" (not as food, but the name) Now "sea kittens"? What's next?

*sighs* PETA. v_v I love what they stand for, but the lengths they go to...
I totally agree with you Went!

These kinds of over the top campaign just makes moderates LOL and not pay attention. It's just hurting them you know? I do want to protect the worlds organisms Even though Dogs are snacks in the Philippines XD but they should tone things down.

If they make a campaigne that relates to importing from Japan, they'red gonna make 4Kids look like the government with Barack Obama.

ROTFL 4kids = The Obama Administration. XD

Idiot!
January 18th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Why sea kittens? Why not sea puppies? Better still, why not fish?

I wonder what's going to happen to the common names of jellyfish, starfish, puffer fish, sword fish, sail fish and the like.

The Post Count
January 18th, 2009, 06:07 AM
haha XD The Id Rather go naked then fur was a sexxy ad XD and Murder King? never heard of it but lulz.

Sea kittens is a stupid idea that they're emforcing for no reason.

They'll go nowhere with it, and will end up dissapointed.

Fishes, will stay Fishes.

Yrie
January 18th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Why sea kittens? Why not sea puppies? Better still, why not fish?

I wonder what's going to happen to the common names of jellyfish, starfish, puffer fish, sword fish, sail fish and the like.

Yup, jellyseakitten, starseakitten, pufferseakitten, swordseakitten, sailseakitten, and lionseakitten, and stoneseakitten, and catseakitten. Its really ridiculous.

dewey
January 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM
rofl i saw this on the colbert report
i say yum ill eat land fish now lolol

flight
January 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Yup, jellyseakitten, starseakitten, pufferseakitten, swordseakitten, sailseakitten, and lionseakitten, and stoneseakitten, and catseakitten. Its really ridiculous.

Are you serious?

Hell no. They're pushing it, now. I can tell they're definitely not going to succeed in this. And even if they do, I'm still calling them fish whether they like it or not.

Trap-Eds
January 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Oh, wow. I've never heard of PETA, but judging from this thread they must be one naive company. xD I mean really, the only "sea kittens" are baby catfish. And Whiscash.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/6/60/340Whiscash.png

Cascade'A Stupidity
January 18th, 2009, 12:55 PM
YAY!

Lets all go SeaKittening!

'Nuff Said. xD

An-chan
January 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Sounds great to me, if it's true about them being that concious about things (The garden fact on their site, petting etc.) then I say it's plain wrong to kill 'em.

Besides, fish tastes foul. xD

Consciousness is the important thing, huh? I take it you don't eat meat, then. If you don't eat meat, I figure you're either a vegetarian of some sort or a vegan. In any case, I have some shocking news for you.

Did you know that plants can "feel"? Whenever a plant is touched, an electrical impulse travels along its surface. Also, plants can move. Flowers and leaves turn towards sun and thus move along the course of the day. Buds close for night and open again in the morning. Some plants can even more pretty fast, like carnivorous plants such as Venus Flytrap. How come they can do that? Yes, plants must also have something that resembles the thing we call consciousness.

Oops, too bad. It's only a matter of time when PETA declares that carrots are "ground puppies" and should not be killed under any circumstances.

Moreover, most of the crap on PETA's site is crap. The fish stories are total crap. I'm pretty damn sure fish don't have schools, for example. of course, I know no-one will think that's actually true, but that shows how much they exaggerate. If they exaggerate that much about a serious thing, then they most apparently can't be trusted.

Oh, and a study has shown that if a woman doesn't eat fish, her kids are born less intelligent than those of the women who eat fish. Also, if a woman doesn't eat fish, her first kid is more intelligent than the following ones. Fish have certain fatty acids our brain simply needs to function. We can't stop eating fish. We shouldn't stop eating fish even if we didn't like it.

Luckily, I love fish. Both as food and as living things. Fish are charming. Just that... fish aren't sea kittens!

Capt. Couch
January 18th, 2009, 04:29 PM

On that note, how much would anybody like to bet that PETA will claim that US Airways Flight 1549 "intentionally" slammed into a flock of geese? Considering how this comes from an organization which rejects medicine and pharmaceuticals which save millions upon millions of lives because a live chimpanzee was used in the process of production, I'd say it's pretty likely...

Yrie
January 18th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Are you serious?

Hell no. They're pushing it, now. I can tell they're definitely not going to succeed in this. And even if they do, I'm still calling them fish whether they like it or not.

No, I'm not serious xD
I was just saying how weird that would sound after reading 乚☆丁工回己❀'s post

the bitter end.
January 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Sea kittens! And if you look in the sky, you can see the winged feather-puppies!

Of course, PETA loves this sort of crap.

Tokin
January 25th, 2009, 08:42 PM
while I agree with PETA in a lot of things, I disagree with them in equally as many things, things like these for example, or their campaign against KFC, it's such a shame that such a large organization evades its true responsabilities with this unbearable ridicule rather than attending to matters that...well..matter.

Haza
January 25th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah. I do not wear fur or believe in Big Game Hunting or Slaughter houses but I do enjoy a good batch of sushi rolls. Its a cute name too but it is too much.

TRIFORCE89
January 26th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Bring it on PETA. You can't do anything that will stop me from consuming seafood.

Also...sea-kittens is a stupid name. Makes me think of a baby catfish.

Ceilidh
January 26th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I seriously think some people in PETA are completely insane o___o

I agree with a lot of things they say over animal cruelty, but things like this make me want to laugh.

Kimicatdemon
January 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM
You know, PETA does SOME good things...some....Like the recent gothic kitten thing...but this....this is just....ONE BIG FACEPALM. :|

I'm up for some fried sea kitten just about now. :D

PkMn Trained
January 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
This has been up for a while. It's strange, hose PETA people. It's worse than the Running of the Nude! While fish got notin' on cats, they are still suprisingly smart ( For being Magikarp, atleast!) Fish can be trained to play underwaer soccer, eat at certain ends of the tank only, and Beg! Ths is a good fish site:

www.petfish.net (http://www.petfish.net)

It really shows off howsmart fish are. Back on topic, this is Kerrazy! Sea kittens? Whats next, Slither- Puppies? I would like o see where this gets them!

Imagine somone following suit to cutoutdissection.com!

Haza
January 26th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I have asked a lot of people on there feelings of the term "sea kittens" and they all say it wouldnt make a difference to them so Im not so sure if there efforts are worth it.

Anti
January 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I wish PETA would focus on more important animal rights abuses than eating fish lol. This campaign is so ridiculous that more people will laugh than take it seriously...obviously.

._.

Rioku_Zanketa
January 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Well now, I guess I do love me some good sea kittens. Tasty little critters. perhaps we can be re-educated with some sea dogs or perhaps, sea ferrets or sea gerbals.

Fish tend to fear me no matter what. If they want to fear me, then I might as well eat them. Besides, they're from the sea. They're racist against us land folk, aren't they? D:

Callandor
January 26th, 2009, 08:03 PM
These people sound like the biggest frickin idiots in the world, and I don't care who saw me say that. And they can't call fish "sea kittens", because the "Cat Fish" already has a patend on that type of name.

Akio123
January 26th, 2009, 09:25 PM
See this is why I hate PETA. It's almost as bad as their Cooking Mama parody. I mean honestly, I can understand wanting people to not eat meat, but they go through the complete extremes. Sea Kittens?! I'm a vegetarian and I want to eat fish and land animals because of that.

Melody
January 26th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hahaha. PETA is full of nutjobs.

Seriously. They're crazy in the head. And they tend to go way too far in their methods of protest
Why cant they just be a group of crazy vegans who keep to themselves instead of pulling idiotic stunts like this? Why?!

Don't read this if you're easily offended. It's just a rather mean spirited rant against PETA. Not against vegetarians or vegans in general.

I dunno. I think anyone who is involved with PETA should be committed to a mental institution immediately and force-fed a normal human diet. (An omnivorous one)
Oh and they should be forced to endure a ton of educational videos about biology and the food chain, and only realize that humans are like any other predatory animal on the top of the food chain.

I'm all for treating animals with some respect. I'm not cruel hearted. But, I do believe that people shouldn't try to make others feel guilty about eating other creatures. They were put on this planet to help support us. (If god didn't intend us to be able to eat a certain animal, then he made them so that we could not, or would not eat them. i.e. making them poisonous, or foul tasting)

Fish are no exception to the rule. They're getting too ignorant to the fact that most of the human population relies on animals as a food source. There is nothing immoral about killing an animal to feed yourself. There is nothing wrong with the sport of fishing. They need to stop trying to say that every other species of animal is intelligent and can feel pain. Every organism more complex than a bacterium can probably feel pain. They need to get over it. We're not torturing the fish. Besides, most sport fisherman catch and release unless they're fishing to eat to protect the biosphere of the body of water in which they are fishing in.

Akio123
January 26th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Thing is, even though I'm a vegetarian, I do not try to force people to not eat meat. I think forcing your ideals on others is wrong (unless what they are protesting is something that is pretty wrong). PETA goes FAR into the extremes. I mean all my vegan friends believe that PETA should be disbanded.

Melody
January 26th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Thing is, even though I'm a vegetarian, I do not try to force people to not eat meat. I think forcing your ideals on others is wrong (unless what they are protesting is something that is pretty wrong). PETA goes FAR into the extremes. I mean all my vegan friends believe that PETA should be disbanded.

I wasn't referring to the sane vegetarians and vegans. :3

I dont have a problem with people who simply choose not to eat meat. (or in the vegan's case, any animal derived product).

Though I dont exactly understand why people choose not to eat meat. It's just a part of life to me.

Anyways, I was just ranting. So kindly ignore the force-feeding part, since when I rant, I often dont mean anything I'm saying.

Akio123
January 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I wasn't referring to anything you were saying actually. XD I was just saying in general.

Callandor
January 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I dunno. I think anyone who is involved with PETA should be committed to a mental institution immediately and force-fed a normal human diet. (An omnivorous one)Oh and they should be forced to endure a ton of educational videos about biology and the food chain, and only realize that humans are like any other predatory animal on the top of the food chain.

That is a great idea. XD

Akio123
January 27th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Honestly, who in their right mind, would support PETA? It's the biggest FAIL environmentalist group since Green Peace. >_> I mean all these do is force their beliefs on others in the most horrifying ways. I mean when you have to flat out lie to prove a point then...

JakeyBoy
January 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Heck, to me, this makes them that little bit more edible. If I know PETA are weeping because I am doing the natural thing and eatting an animal below me on the food chain, I would be ok.
I mean, it's not like fish are the rarest animals. The breed pretty largely, and appropriate restrictions are in place to stop them going belly-up (that was bad :|)

So, is anyone working on photoshoping a cat attached to a fishing hook yet? =P

Tokin
January 27th, 2009, 12:04 PM
indeed, it's sadly true, but PETA cannot be taken seriously at all, I wish there was an organization that truly pays attention to actual environmental crimes, instead of attacking a natural process which is eating, they should turn their attention to: fur coat production, baby seal beating, traffic, etc.

Pearl's Perap
January 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I myself am a vegetarian and I feel like PETA makes a complete mockery of people who choose to live life this way. They are a complete joke and I can safely say they are ridiculous. I also found it hilarious that this forum, along with SPPf, have over ten times the amount of members that the PETA forums have. Now, I know it doesn't mean anything, but it just shows what people would rather follow ;P

Ice_Emperor
January 28th, 2009, 01:17 PM
This is idoitic. The Emperor does NOT approve. -_-
I really don't like fish, but still, this is just kind of pathetic.
In the animal kingdom animals eat other animals.
So now we should all chastize Wolves and Tigers for eating Deer?

basselope7
January 29th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Okay, I really don't get people who force people to become vegetarians because of animal rights. How about this? Should we also stop walking for fear we'll step on bugs? Should we stop breathing because it kills germs? How about we stop eating plants because they give us oxygen? Get this through your head, PETA, it's completely impossible to live your entire life without killing anything! Moral purity is impossible! If we were all morally pure, we wouldn't be humans, we'd be super-beings with no ability to tell stories because all stories involve conflict! Seriously...

Shirayuki Mizore
January 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM
What a coincidence, I just had some sea kittens for dinner.

Seriously, though, I think those nutcases have stooped to a new low. You'd think that a simple high school course in biology would convince them that animals aren't people. There's just no reasoning for that kind of viewpoint. Besides, comparing the anatomy and intelligence of fish to cats is just idiotic. And, though I'm really not a cat person, it's a major insult to kittens.

Come on, fish are the Magikarp of the animal kingdom: They're as dumb as dirt and they aren't as well evolved as we are.

They're as dumb as dirt, eh? Sea Kittens can do many things that involve using there brains, including having a long term memory. :)

Neety
January 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I myself am a vegetarian and I feel like PETA makes a complete mockery of people who choose to live life this way. They are a complete joke and I can safely say they are ridiculous. I also found it hilarious that this forum, along with SPPf, have over ten times the amount of members that the PETA forums have. Now, I know it doesn't mean anything, but it just shows what people would rather follow ;P

Thank you for sharing your intelligent views. I am a born carnivore but I really really admire those who follow a vegetarian lifestyle.

PETA are ridiculous. Did anyone see their "Mama Kills Animals" attack on the Cooking Mama series? Aimed at kids, I swear it's little more than scare-mongering. If cows, pigs and sheep weren't bred for eating, do you think they'd survive in the wild, or would other predators like wolves or bears pick them off? Would they be used for transport or working, or can they be ridden for leisure like horses? No, probably not. Let's be honest.

I just don't get why they don't focus on saving tigers, or sea turtles, of which there are only ten of thousands left. Surely that's more important than trying to shoehorn impressionable kids into a certain lifestyle.