PDA

View Full Version : Question: Avatar Question

LugiaFreak
January 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I have a custom-made avatar saved on MS Paint, and it's not over 130 by 130 pixels, but I keep getting a message that says 'This is not a valid image file.'

Do I have to save the image as something specific, like JPEG?

Ausaudriel
January 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Save it as a .png file and you can upload it. :3 It was probably being saved as .bmp, which can't be uploaded for an avatar here.

processr
January 18th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Saving as a PNG, GIF or JPEG should allow your avatar to be used, presuming the file is 41 kB or less in size.

Edit: Buh, my dawdling meant I was beaten. :<

LugiaFreak
January 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Saving as a PNG, GIF or JPEG should allow your avatar to be used, presuming the file is 41 kB or less in size.
Do any of those show a better quality picture then the others? Or is it all the same?

processr
January 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Do any of those show a better quality picture then the others? Or is it all the same?

It'll depend on the compression level you choose if you're saving in a high-end graphic program, but in MS Paint the quality scale normally goes (from best to worst) PNG > GIF > JPEG.

Mr. Epic
January 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM
It'll depend on the compression level you choose if you're saving in a high-end graphic program, but in MS Paint the quality scale normally goes (from best to worst) PNG > GIF > JPEG.

Actually PNG > JPEG > GIF it just depends on the quality in which you save the JPEG as.
100 should be used unless you want to save memory by lowering the quality.