PDA

View Full Version : Wii question that needs technological answer

Heart's Soul
January 22nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
By using a 2GB SD card and a bunch of DVD 4.3, and a few roms (of course) is it possible to play Wii games using just that? Without a mod chip?

Zet
January 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
This still belongs in Other Games so I'll move it there~

Eon-Rider
January 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
By using a 2GB SD card and a bunch of DVD 4.3, and a few roms (of course) is it possible to play Wii games using just that? Without a mod chip?

Yes it is possible but it isn't exactly legal. I'm not sure what a DVD 4.3 is though. The process is actually very simple since I have done it on my own Wii.

Bianca Paragon
January 23rd, 2009, 01:59 AM
The term is "DVD5", and most Wii games are DVD5. There's a few notables, tho, but most conform to the DVD5 standard.

Heart's Soul
January 23rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
So it is possible with a DVD5 (I call it DVD 4.3 because that's how much space it has!) and a SD card. So, how?

Eon-Rider
January 23rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
The term you're looking for is softmod. Google it and you'll probably find many links to tutorials on how to do so. I'd rather not provide a direct link since I don't promote piracy.

Capt. Couch
January 23rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
The term you're looking for is softmod. Google it and you'll probably find many links to tutorials on how to do so. I'd rather not provide a direct link since I don't promote piracy.

Neither does the developer who created the backup loader for the GeckoOS, or so he claims. But do we actually use it to play legal backed-up copies on a regular basis? Nah... ;)

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

What you will need to do is softmod your Wii with the Homebrew Channel. Tutorials on this matter can be found on an extensive Wiki called WiiBrew. Look for "homebrew setup tutorial" closer to the top of the main page. Afterward, install WiiGator's backup loader on your SD card and load your game using it.

Just remember to burn your games at a relatively low speed. 6x is what I use and it's reasonable enough, but I've heard of more success with lower speeds.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm no professional, but I know quite a bit on the subject.

Eon-Rider
January 23rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
I've burnt all my games with the maximum speed and they've all turned out fine. I think it completely depends on the type and the quality of the DVD. I personally use Verbatim DVD-Rs and it is recommended by many people.

Heart's Soul
January 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Wait, yeah. I've done numerous research on this. You can use the Twilight Hack for this (meaning Homebrew Channel) or do I need to waste $29 on HomebreWare? Just came out, seen thank you emails.

Jeremy
January 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Wait, yeah. I've done numerous research on this. You can use the Twilight Hack for this (meaning Homebrew Channel) or do I need to waste $29 on HomebreWare? Just came out, seen thank you emails.

Um, sweetie you need to use the Twilight in order to install the Homebrew Channel, unless you have 3.4 firmware on your Wii, which means you cant' use the backup channel to play your burned games. If you have recently updated your Wii, then you'll have to downgrade it's firmware, which might led you bricking your system if you don't know what you're doing.

Or waste 30 bucks for something you can do yourself for free, it's your call sweetie.

Eon-Rider
January 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM
All you really need to do is search for a backup loader package. There are numerous ones but the one you should use is by Wiigator. The package comes with step-by-step instructions.

Heart's Soul
January 25th, 2009, 11:08 AM
So, I can technically downgrade my Wii to 3.2? Finally, as I used the 3 upgrader games before, so no need to re-do it.