PDA

View Full Version : is the DSI a ripoff?

dark charmander
January 24th, 2009, 04:43 AM
personaly i think the DSI is a bit of a ripoff for the people who just got a DS lite for christmas eg. my cuzin. i was wondering if there is much a difference in them exept the camera coz i was thinking about buying 1 when it comes out in europe

Eon-Rider
January 24th, 2009, 04:46 AM
It's really up to what your needs are. The DSi isn't really much of a ripoff if you're actually planning on using all the extra features.

EmeraldSky
January 24th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'm perfectly happy with my DS Lite, and have no plans to get a DSi in the foreseeable future

Fox♠
January 24th, 2009, 08:08 AM
If you dont already have a DS, you might aswell get the DSi, however I dont think there is any reason to buy it if you currently own a DS.

Fenrir Reki
January 24th, 2009, 08:11 AM
It sort of is in a way because you can't play any gba games on it but other then that, you can take pictures with it and do other things that the DS lite doesn't have.

Drifblim-kun
January 24th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Well, it all depends what you want to use your Nintendo DS / DSi for. Some of the new features of the DSi is it has a built in web browser, it has a sort of Virtual Console shop, I believe, and it has cameras, but the downside to it is that it doesn't play GBA games. It's all up to preference.

Jeremy
January 24th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Well sweetie, I don't consider it a ripoff. It's just the third interation of the DS, All of Nintendo's handhelds always have another random third iteration.

Game Boy => Game Boy Pocket => Game Boy Light

Game Boy Advance => Game Boy Advance SP => Game Boy Micro

DS => DS lite => DSi

I really consider the DSi more of a Game Boy Color since it had it's on library of games and had other features it's predecessors did not. (IR, and well, color. =p)

If you don't have a DS, then you might as well get a DSi if you don't mind not being able to play GBA games, sweetie.

matt561
January 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I dont actually know what a DSI is could someone explain?

Mr. Epic
January 24th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I dont actually know what a DSI is could someone explain?
Why would you ask here
This is your answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi

In my opinion the DSi is worth it if you don't own a DS or your DS is very old or damaged.

Haza
January 24th, 2009, 12:28 PM
If the online store has exclusive games Im getting it and I have both of the previous DS systems already. It doesnt seem like a rip off to me. Just not meant for Pokemon gamers.

Gummy
January 25th, 2009, 05:04 PM
To call the DSi a ripoff is basically calling the DSLite a ripoff, as there really was no need for it if you had a perfectly working DS. I've given my DS to my nephew and instead of buying a Lite, I'm going to buy the DSi (I don't have any GBA games anyway).

Aether
January 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I think the DSi is a waste of money if you already have a DS, same goes with the DSlite. I've had my regular DS since December of 04 and it still does its job perfectly, I personally believe it's more durable than the more recent iterations also. :P

Cassino
January 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
DS Lite = Sales Gimmick (a lot of people already with DSs got a DS Lite).
DSi = New console in the Nintendo handhelds line, so no, unless you're cynical enough to believe that sequels are always rip-offs of their prequels.

Mr. Downstairs
January 26th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I think the DSi is a waste of money if you already have a DS, same goes with the DSlite. I've had my regular DS since December of 04 and it still does its job perfectly, I personally believe it's more durable than the more recent iterations also. :P

I agree completely. Well said.

The only major differences I can see are sound quality, battery life, and of course the obvious changes like the cameras and power controls. Honestly, in all respect to Nintendo, I don't buy handhelds to take pictures with and I highly doubt that that's a priority of the majority of the people who play handheld systems. :| I mean, honestly, what could happen that you really need to take a picture of while you're playing a game? Want to capture your reaction to something in game or something?

To top the cake, I prefer the power switch compared to the button; it's tacky, ugly and overrated.

As per recreating anything like the DS, I think it's just what Cassino said in terms of a sales gimmick.

dark charmander
January 30th, 2009, 11:49 AM
im hesitating about it now cause if i wanted it my mum would probubly say no but i could covince her but she might make me give up my ds lite then id only have my sp to play gb games so i might, might not

Akeraz
January 30th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I'll probably end up buying the DSi.

It has WPA compatability [which is a plus, since the DS Lite does not], and internet access is also a plus. If I want to play GBA games, I'll just use my Lite.

Also, my bulky DS's battery is almost dead [not to mention the top screen is pretty much hanging off], and I can't find the charger, and I need a system so I can do trades on D/P.

Vital
January 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Its not a rip-off, though if your a fan of Guitar Hero, dont buy it.

DSI is a copy basically of PSP. If you had the choice, go with PSP, though i might buy the DSI...

chanchimi
January 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Hmm, well, I guess it depends. I have a DSi, because I like collecting DS's, and the new features like the camera is an amusing gimmick, and the music feature is interesting too.

Many people bought the DS lite even though it really was very similar to the DS, the DSi is a bit more different, so I don't think it's a waste in my opinion.

~MasterMind~
January 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM
._. it looks almost the same
i really dont care much about it
but yes it does seem like its a rip off

Superjub
January 31st, 2009, 02:58 PM
DSi is sort-of usless and not needed. A ripoff? Nah, I guess Nintendo just wants more money. Honestly, i dont plan on getting a DSi mainly due to the fact that I have a working (atm) DS Lite and getting a DSi would be pointless for me, along with the fact that I love Pokemon and couldn't live without the GBA Slot (I was annoyed when I found out the regular DS couldn't play GB and GBC games so...I even bought a new SP!)
Even with the addition of a camera etc, losing the GBA slot is horrible! (Especially if you own GBA games and dont have a GBA, GBA SP, GBA Micro, Gamecube w/gameboy Player.)

I wouldn't call it a rip off, if you love the new features and dont mind losing the GBA Port.

TRIFORCE89
January 31st, 2009, 03:13 PM
I don't think it's a rip off. This is nothing new.

Game Boy -> Game Boy Pocket - > Game Boy Light
Game Boy Advance - > Game Boy Advance SP - > Game Boy Micro
PlayStation Portable - > PlayStation Portable Slim & Lite - >PSP-3000
Nintendo DS - > Nintendo DS Lite - > Nintendo DSi

The Game Boy Color is sort of an oddity. All on it's own. So lonely.

foullump
January 31st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Absolutely! It puts the final lock on eliminating gba games! Which, inversely ruins games like diamond, pearl, platinum. Not to mention any of your gbas.

>Feelings<
January 31st, 2009, 06:09 PM
Surely it will feel like a ripoff if you have no use of those newly added features.
I know I don't need them, so it does feel like a useless thing to me.
In fact, the GBA slot is being removed, how do you take that?

Hiroshi Sotomura
January 31st, 2009, 06:33 PM
Careful; the DSi supports WPA, but only with titles that are built to interact with the DSi hardware. (Given that the DSi firmware is locked out when a DS game is running, most DS games will not be compatible with WPA. This is like how Wii Remotes "die" when you play GameCube games.)

Raven-NAR-32450
February 2nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
i might get one to try it out in a sense, but to me, its not really worth it, i like to play my GBA games as an actual cartridge instead of some game that was downloaded from somewhere, also my PSP has an SD card reader already so why would i want one in my DS, and the camera, what a waste of space, what good is a camera that gets less then 0.5 megapixels other then taking shoddy pictures?

Clairissa
February 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
It looks like a fun little change from the DSlite.
I never had an original DS, by the time I got one it was all DSlites anyway, depending on the price of the DSi I might try one, the lack of a GBA kinda stinks, but I already transferred my third gen pokemon over, and the dongle thing I never trusted, can just end up breeding them anyway <.<

Ayano Katagiri
February 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
I still own a DS lite and don't plan to get the DSi. My friend has got the DSi and I've used it; the new interface is a nice change and some of the functions are kinda nice to have but in general isn't that much of a necessity of an upgrade for someone already with a DS (phat or lite).

C r A s H.
February 3rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
I think the DSi will be excellent. With it's cameras, music player, online game store, brighter screens and better pivot, it'll be great.

There already one game announced (Warioware: Made in ore) which uses the cameras so you can make your own levels

A Pixy
February 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Considering this is the POKE community, I'd say yes. You can't migrate your Pokemon on a DSi but I'm sure someone said that. Nintendo is just using the DSi as an excuse to take our money to give us what the DS was supposed to do in the first place. Sony's smart doing everything the DSi can do minus the camera.

Hiroshi Sotomura
February 6th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Considering this is the POKE community, I'd say yes. You can't migrate your Pokemon on a DSi but I'm sure someone said that. Nintendo is just using the DSi as an excuse to take our money to give us what the DS was supposed to do in the first place. Sony's smart doing everything the DSi can do minus the camera.
Lotsa stuff to say about a port that was in the process of being deprecated to begin with. You may not see it this way, but the DS Lite was pretty much the axe to Game Boy Advance games; the protruding GBA cartridge would discourage use. Plus, most of the market the DS Lite aimed for probably wouldn't have much use for the GBA port. New kids certainly picking up a game of Pokémon, as well as people who start picking up more Pokémon games, wouldn't really need the GBA slot after all, especially if the Pokémon you may need are made available in a new Pokémon game.

Immortal_one
February 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I don't think it's a ripoff exactly, but if you have a DS already, there's no sense in getting a DSi. It's only got an internal memory of 256MB, and with practicality figured in, you could expand it with an SD card to around 4-5GB. I assume it's got an mp3 player, but there are mp3 players that are not only cheaper than the DSi, but also have more space.

The camera I thought was just unnecessecary, considering digital cameras are well priced now, and just about everyone has one. The online store is one of the few things it has going for it, but I feel that it's outweighed by the DSi's cons.

Like Foxhound said, if you don't have a DS, buying a DSi would make perfect sense, but if you have a DS already, there's really no point in buying it.

Ursula
February 7th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Personally, I don't think it's a rip-off at all. I own one, and I love it. It's incredibly fun - the photo editting application is so fun. XD; I wasted a lot of time just messing with it.
The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a GBA Slot.
However, don't let that scare you away from buying it - it's a great system, and I think it's definitely worth it. :/
The DSi, to me, seems to be like a glimpse into the future of handheld gaming. Its successor, be it a DS something or another, or a new series of handheld consoles can only improve and be better. :D

War Flame
February 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Meh, I don't think it's a ripoff if you're going to use the extra features, like others have said. I want to get one(though I won't be able to afford one), the only thing that really bothers me is the fact that there's no GBA slot.. I'll need to keep my regular Lite for that.. The only wifi shop thingy(can't remember what it's called, sorry. =P) Is something that really interests me though.

Bigdog
February 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM

I left my 1st Generation DS in my bathroom and it got soaked in water. It was so durable that all I needed to do was just dry it off and wait for three hours to pass and worked perfectly the next day and I've played tons of games on it since.

dark charmander
February 9th, 2009, 06:15 AM
thanks for ur help guys ive had some mixed opinions but i think i will leave it 2 wether my mum makes me give up my ds lite but if she lets me keep it i will definetly buy 1 (i'll probubly have 2 buy it myself but so be it) coz it sounds like alot a fun ^^ again thanks for ur help

Yuoaman
February 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I'll probably eventually get one, but I'll end up keeping my DS Lite, I still do enjoy my GBA games.