PDA

View Full Version : Will we never see an Overhead LoZ game ever again?

A Pixy
January 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM
We all know how the Legend of Zelda games began. You explore with an overhead perspective while controlling Link to slash in all directions. All of the games excluding Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link up to Ocarina of Time, have that formula. Now while the 3D console games, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are awesome, I still love the old style I was treated to. Nintendo, being Nintendo never straying too far from home, gave me that formula in the form of Four Swords, Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventure. Now, when the DS came out, besides the inevetable Pokemon games, I couldn't wait for another overhead Zelda game. Fortunately, and at the same time unfortunately, I was given Phantom Hourglass. Don't get me wrong, this is game is awesome but since they can do that on a handheld, the old formula is offically obselete. Sure the might release LoZ One, Link to the Past, Minish Cap and Four Swords on the DS but I don't want to play the same game twice. Do you people think Nintendo has ditched the original way of Zelda? I sure hope not...

January 26th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Let's get one thing straight, dude...
Oracle of Ages>Link's Awakening>Oracle of Seasons>>>ALttP>Minish Cap

The game style of old has been lost, yeah. But we saw this coming for a while...Minish Cap hardly met the quality standards of its predecessors.
Phantom Hourglass was such a kiddy game that it was depressing. I played it with only decent enjoyment in two days...okay, although I can beat Oracle of Ages in a single day, this was a game I haven't been through before. The dungeons were, overall, too simple, the story too bland, and the puzzles gimmicky. Blowing windmills? Pushing yourself against elastics to propel yourself across gaps? Okay, no thanks...these puzzles, unlike the GBC era, for example, did not require any thinking. These required a certain mindset when using the DS. That hurts immersing the user into the game...
The music's gotten worse, too. Oh well...at least the main theme will always follow the series around.

TRIFORCE89
January 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Uhhhhh.....Phantom Hourglass was played in an overhead manner. And played in a way more akin to the traditional titles than the newer 3D entries.

LoZ, ALttP, LA, OoS, OoA, FS, FSA, TMC, PH

OoT, MM, TWW, TP

AoL

I dunno. The traditional, overhead view type of game seems to be winning in terms of numbers.

parallelzero
January 26th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I see it this way: As long as Nintendo makes handheld consoles, Zelda games will continue to be produced with the overhead view. It's just how they seem to have settles the Zelda franchise, putting the 3D titles on consoles and the overheads on the portable alternatives. It's a balance that works, and I think it'll keep with each generation.