PDA

View Full Version : World war II game morality

Elekid Kid
January 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hey. When I first started sitting down and blasting away at Germans and Japanese in a COD, MOH or BIA game, I never thought about the real morality of these videogames. When pursueding my mom to buy games like Halo and Resident Evil, I have always used the reasoning that you are shooting zombies and aliens, and that the game doesn't encourage killing humans. Only recently have I felt a bit bad about WW II games. Not because it depicts killing humans, but because it depicts killing people of a certain nationality. I am not defending the Nazis or Japanese because what they did in reality was wrong, as was actions of the Allies, but lets not get into a mass debate over the real war here. Because of a certain batch of people who are nearly all dead, Germans of recent generations have a bad image, and I think it is wrong that mass production of a game that reminds the world about what some Germans did 60 years ago takes place as it influences kids from other places that Germans and Japanese are evil when this is not the case. For simple pleasure and enjoyment, a shooting game is fine. But when you think about the actual concept of refighting a war against another country, possibly rekindling hate, bad things happen. Because of my interest in this topic I searched the internet for German and Japanese policies on this matter.

According to a blog article, World War II shooters are sold in Germany, but with restrictions. Surprisingly, they do not mind at all that their kids are killing their grandpas. However, music is re dubbed, cut scenes cut, and images eradicated. Everything that depicts the Nazis is erased because of the strict laws in Germany about not depicting the Nazis.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find any info on Japanese policies on WW II games, if anyone knows anything, please tell me.

I would like to hear your views on the topic.

Fox♠
January 29th, 2009, 06:12 AM
When playing I don't look at it as killing germans, i look at it as killing Nazis. And when playing as the Germans, I like to think of it as the wermacht (the actual army, not the SS)

In fact, normally I forget it;s Germans at all, or japanese, i just see the ones without a green name above them as the enemy.

Cassino
January 29th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I've thought about this as well.
I'm not one to see anything morally incorrect about re-enacting a war, regardless of circumstances; I just feel that it is greatly injust that in a shooter the player is always American, British or Russian.
Until I can play as a German, Italian, Japanese or Finnish soldier, I'm giving WWII shooters a rest...

Fox♠
January 29th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I've thought about this as well.
I'm not one to see anything morally incorrect about re-enacting a war, regardless of circumstances; I just feel that it is greatly injust that in a shooter the player is always American, British or Russian.
Until I can play as a German, Italian, Japanese or Finnish soldier, I'm giving WWII shooters a rest...

Agreed. I'd like a chance to play as the Wermacht outside of online matches.

Kaiyori
February 1st, 2009, 09:19 PM
I have never really thought about this, but I see what your getting at.

But majority of people don't even think about what they are killing, It's just shoot whoever is not your friend XD.

I don't see anything wrong with it either, unless of course I see a person playing these games simply for the purpose of actually wanting to kill the people.

matt561
February 2nd, 2009, 04:17 AM
Eithen the germans themselves play them and besides its all history now it has nothing to do with the video-game generation

And at the end of the day its just a game and in the case of CoD a bloody good one at that

Also what about the new generation of shooters for example Battlefield 2 and Conflict desert storm?

Cassino
February 2nd, 2009, 07:27 AM
Also what about the new generation of shooters for example Battlefield 2 and Conflict desert storm?
One reasaon I love CoD4 is because of how the OpFor announcer's voice sounds. :D

But yeah, it's the same with modern games, generally. The player so often a US Marine... I never really thought about that 'til now. I suppose we'll always be on the side of the country that makes the games (oh how racist/nationalist); and since America makes most of the world's shooters, the obvious outcome results.

st.jimmy
February 2nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
the worst thing about war games is how the people who took part in them must feel.

imagine risking your life to save your country and 60 years later some game company makes a game about it.
that would feel horrible.

Gold warehouse
February 2nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
I have been playing WWII games since I was about 10 years old and I don't really see any problem with playing these games; I know about WWI and WWII and I have no grudge towards the nation of Germany or the German people.

I think it is wrong that mass production of a game that reminds the world about what some Germans did 60 years ago takes place as it influences kids from other places that Germans and Japanese are evil when this is not the case.

No more than a TV show or even a history lesson. We shouldn't forget WWII.

I just feel that it is greatly injust that in a shooter the player is always American, British or Russian.
Well the allies are typically seen as 'the good guys' of the war, also most people wouldn't want to play as the Germans only to find out that the grand finale is that you (the player) lose the war.