PDA

View Full Version : Playing as a female

joehat
February 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Do you think it's weird if a guy plays video games as a female character? I don't mean like Tomb Raider or Metroid..I mean games where you have a choice. Pokemon, Saints Row 2, Skate 2, other RPG's and so on..I usually choose the girl. I just find it more entertaining haha.

Superjub
February 1st, 2009, 12:49 PM
Ever since Pokemon Crystal, I've been a girl, and I'm a guy.
I wouldn't say its wierd, for example, on Peal and Diamond (and I guess Platinum too), the girl characters are MUCH more better looking than guys. lucas sucks, no offence. Brendan doesn't look bad but I prefer May. Dont know why I chose the girl FR character. Also, I was girl character on Animal Crossing: City Folk because..ummm....XD
Spookily enough, in most games I find girls look more better than boys O_o

Maybe I'm gender confused XD

X-626
February 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM
I don't find it weird at all. If you prefer the way the other character looks, you should choose them. I never really thought about it much, but I always pick the guy (since I am one) on both Pokemon and Animal Crossing. I do think that some of the girl Pokemon characters look better than the guys, though. I think there are a lot of people who play as the opposite gender.

Melodyfree
February 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM
Sometimes I like to play as the male just to mix things up a bit, but I usually play as the females since I like their designs better. xD

Wulf
February 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Yup, I do it most of the time. Unless this female is ugly of course. Kinda shallow...

Yu_&_Rei
February 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM
I dont think its weird at all, I main females in many games, Peach in brawl, Toadette in MKWII, Yu and Rei in puyo pop (they're 1 pair character even tho Rei is a boy) and for some reason there end up quite a few females in my mario super sluggers team.

Cherrim
February 1st, 2009, 02:53 PM
I usually play as the girl because the designs are nicer. 8| They've had such ugly guys as the males in the Pokémon series for ages.

But outside of Pokémon games (or even in them), I have no problem if people play as the opposite gender. I do all the time so I don't see why it makes a difference. Usually people play as the character they're best at or who they like the most so... I don't see why it's a big deal. :x

Unforgettable
February 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
If there is a girl character, I play as her. I like the design better, and it's always fun playing as a female. Because usually it's just a male. But I don't mind playing as a male.

Bamboo
February 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I like to spice things up a bit sometimes I'll play as a girl just for the heck of it

kissing. raindrops
February 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
I don't mind if a guy plays as a girl. I find it fine. I like to play as a girl.

TRIFORCE89
February 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Lol I dunno. I haven't played too many games where you can select to play as a female aside from Pokemon :\ I need to play some more games.

I chose the girl once in Crystal because that was like the big thing about Crystal. But haven't since. I have no problems playing Nintendo's princesses in stuff like Mario Kart or Smash Bros.

But, otherwise I haven't played much where I have the choice.

Skaterzpenguin
February 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
When I feel bored being the boy then I play as the girl for a change. Nothing is different between the genders, but except for the looks and coloring of the fonts at times... :\

mystletainn
February 1st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Always. I have this weird affinity for girl power, so I love kicking ass as a girl.

Mika555
February 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
I played as the male characters on games that you had to choice of gender because the game had different slots, and I played as the male character after I completed the story with female character. I also play as male characters sometimes on fighting and action games as well. I never played as the male character in a Pokemon game though.

Caelus
February 1st, 2009, 09:15 PM
Out of pure habit I pick a boy. I don't find anything wrong with a boy playing a girl, especially if it's their preference.
Also, I rarely play any game that gives you the option to choose between a boy or girl aside from Pokemon, so I don't know about that...merely guessing that I'll pick the boy, though I might pick the girl if I don't like the boy character.
I guess for me it depends.

Kaiyori
February 1st, 2009, 09:34 PM
Pretty much, I don't mind whichever one.

I usually pick the guy because I am a guy, That's just me though. It's not really a personal preference, Just sort of a habit XD.

I really wouldn't mind if I looked like a 80 year old transvestite :x

It's just the game that matters XD.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
February 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM
I usually pick the female character if there's a choice, and I've been doing it since Pokemon Crystal. A notable exception would be for games where the actual game dynamics differ. For example, in Tales of Symphonia, I usually end up controlling Lloyd, Kratos, or Zelos simply because their fighting styles are more comfortable for me to use in-game than any of its female characters.

But for games where the gender makes no major gameplay differences, expect me to choose the female character. They usually have a more attractive design (especially 3rd and 4th gen Pokemon, where the male characters are downright horrid IMO. Brendan with white hair? Lucas with that weird hat? Sorry, but no).

Eon-Rider
February 1st, 2009, 10:20 PM
Whenever I play a game, I always choose the female role whenever I can. It just feels nice to be the opposite gender for once. =)

Chaostorm
February 1st, 2009, 11:05 PM
This Might be Weird for Young Poeple ( Under Age 10 ) but not for Grown up

I Sometimes Play as a Female Character, But without Saving, Ex: Pokemon. Playing new Game. Choosing Female Character. Seeing whats the Diffeerence bettween it and the Male Character. Turning off without Saving. and thats it ....

THIRTY-SIX
February 1st, 2009, 11:21 PM
I play a female character occasionally. Depends on the mood when I start a game. xD

Crimson Arcanine
February 2nd, 2009, 12:22 AM
On any game I nearly have a 50/50 (its usually 60/40 male way) chance of playing a female. Overall I'm okay with anyone playing the opposite gender in games. However, not every game has people that share these opinions. On the Darkfall forums for example, a great deal of the folks detest those that would choose the opposite gender, even to the point that some have exclaimed that they would kick the offending player out of thier guild if they found out and KoS (Kill on Sight)them in the game.

But in general most folks do not care.

Zet
February 2nd, 2009, 02:57 AM
I sometimes do depending how much more awesome the design is than the male character

Gunners
February 2nd, 2009, 03:17 AM
http://thegreatgeekmanual.com/images/humor/motivational/december/motivational-poster-mmorpg-roman-numeral.jpg

explains it all

matt561
February 2nd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Yeah i normally play female characters aswell

Us guys were so good a being women ^^

Melody
February 2nd, 2009, 05:11 AM
I have absolutely no problem playing as a female in MMORPGs and other games. Hell, Even when it comes to forums, sometimes I 'dress' a bit more feminine like. It's not like I'm casting aside the fact I'm a guy. In fact I'm proud to be a guy

But it does feel good to shrug off the social expectations of being a guy sometimes and just expressing your inner self without pause.

So, to all you people who think it's weird or wrong to role play as the opposite gender, I say..."You are wrong."

Gummy
February 2nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
For me, it depends on the type of game. In Pokemon, all your really choose is the gender, and everything else is decided for the character. You really have no choice but become the hero. But in games where you simulate like (Sims), I always play as a male because I have the choice to make the character exactly like me.

Razer302
February 2nd, 2009, 08:29 AM
I have done it a few times. I have no issue with it. If the character design for a female looks better I will use a female. It gets very annoying in an MMORPG when a guy starts to hit on you and your a guy yourself, really shows you bad it can be for girl players sometimes.

Just like on Playstation home. So many guys crowd around one girl, it so silly.

AtomicoExploda
February 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
Hmm, I don't really mind. Just like Final Fantasy 6, I would use either although I would usually use a guy, but sometimes you have to play as a girl, I don't mind.
But, I never really think about it, I actually most of the time, play as a guy...

Gelly
February 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
WTF? What's the big deal? I'm a girl and in the ruby version i play with Brendan, i have no problem, if i don't have a problem, why would a boy have?

Akeraz
February 2nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
I have no problem with guys playing as girls on games. Infact, I play as a girl quite often myself, 'cuz quite honestly, the guys in most games don't look that decent.

Some examples of where I play as a girl:
- Fable II [Although, I have several playthroughs of both genders]
- Pokémon [I hate the male sprites in pokémon games]
- Bleach: Shattered Blade [I always play as Rukia, as personal preference]
- Final Fantasy IV DS [I use Rydia as the overworld]
- Star Ocean 3 [I always control Maria in battles]

So yeah, I don't really mind. Although I stick to male charachters on games I play online.

Aether
February 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Usually not, there are a couple rare exceptions. I would almost always play as a female in FR/LG. Leaf is just too cool, I think it's awesome to have a 'female' red.

HoneyBubbles
February 2nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
I always play as a girl. I like the girl's designs better, and I just like having a player the same gender as me.

Clairissa
February 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
I don't see any problem with anyone playing the other gender.
"I would rather see a girl's butt then a guy's when I play a game" is a common excuse my male friend's give.
Me I just like playing my own gender better, makes me feel more like it's really me doing this amazing stuff... (God that sounds nerdy)

Raven-NAR-32450
February 2nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
as a guy i like to play as the female because its a personal preference, and playing as a male got kinda boring for me. I wanted a nice change of pace.........like my RAcaseal in PSO, she kicks butt!

Penguin13
February 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Well, I don't know about the MMOs you guys play, but whenever I make a new char on Silkroad Online, I always choose a female skin. Firstly, because it looks better, and secondly, because the equipment is waaaaaaaaay cheaper.
In pokemon, my char is a female, because of the name I use. [musical note]iMaid[musical note].
In everything else, I'll choose whatever looks better.

Astinus
February 2nd, 2009, 10:10 PM
But in games where you simulate like (Sims), I always play as a male because I have the choice to make the character exactly like me.
I'm the opposite when it comes to the Sims. Except for one time, I always choose to play with the male Sims.

As for other games where I can choose what gender to play as, it depends really on how the sprites/characters look or what name I want to use. For instance, in FireRed, I chose the female sprite to fit the name "Hanako", but am willing to play as the male. In Ruby, I play as the male or the female. In Pearl, I chose the female for the name, but in Platnium, I'll play as the male.

It doesn't really bother me to play as a male. It also doesn't bother me if I see a man playing as a female character. My views of gender break the stereotypical mold in real life, so why should I try to follow it in a video game, or force others to do so?

Ayano Katagiri
February 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM
It doesn't really bother me which gender of character I play as, I usually end up deciding on the character that I like better regardless of gender. It definitely doesn't bother me playing as a female character; I play as Hikari in D/P for example.

Editman
February 2nd, 2009, 10:20 PM
I dont think So i prefer the girl more then the guy but if i'm rushing through a game i'll use a guy if i'm playing it for effectiveness i'll use the girl.

Idiot!
February 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Most of the time I find the girls' appearance ugly. Guess who I play as?

foullump
February 3rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
I think everyone has played as a girl at least once. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Jeremy
February 3rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Wow sweeties, this seems to be my kind of thread. XD

Anyway, it really depends on the game. If it's a fighting game, I usually choose a female character because they're usually the quickest and easy to make combos with. If it's an RPG, it depends on my mood. Gender doesn't really matter to me.

Kraka-chan
February 3rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Well, it depends on two things: 1. The design of the characters or 2. How they affect the game.

But since a lot of games don't I just tend to go for what my gender is: female. And I don't find it weird that people play as other genders, but it can be a little disorientating. @_@

Cassino
February 3rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
When given the choice, which is rare given the nature of the games I play (war), I do go for females.
You play me in any Street Fighter game with Hokuto in, you lose. Actually I suck at fighting games but you get the point.

What I do find weird is that people tend not to consider that a female playing as a male character is strange. It's always thought to be the guys wiping the 'gay' off their hands.

Slimer
February 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Depends. If it's an adventure game or an RPG I'll go with a male character as I can better relate to the character. For arcade games like fighters and such I'll pick a character based on how cool they look. So for those I'm fine either way.

Mario The World Champion
February 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
I tend to play as both sexes in games like RPGs and Fighting games. But when it comes to Pokemon games, I like to play as the female a lot.

I don't play any MMO games due to I have a crappy 56K connection at my place. So, I don't know if I want to play as any of the sexes in those games.

Ben Kenobi
February 3rd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Depends. If it's an adventure game or an RPG I'll go with a male character as I can better relate to the character. For arcade games like fighters and such I'll pick a character based on how cool they look. So for those I'm fine either way.

This, though in arcade games, I tend to pick females more often than males.

My current file on Emerald I'm using the girl character, though. Also, the majority of my Mass Effect playthroughs were done with a female character.

Haza
February 3rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Sometimes I like playing as the girls to take people by surprise and the girl on left 4 dead is cool.

Mitchman
February 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
No problem. I are a guy i love being a guy and i would think playing as a girl is a turnisde for when your bored. But also imagine a game that was like normal life and you would be playing as a boy or girl going through life dealing with life problem and such and choosing as the girl. That there would be quite an experience for guy players XD

Avey
February 3rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Do you think it's weird if a guy plays video games as a female character? I don't mean like Tomb Raider or Metroid..I mean games where you have a choice. Pokemon, Saints Row 2, Skate 2, other RPG's and so on..I usually choose the girl. I just find it more entertaining haha.

Eh, no? In most of the games where you have a choice, you're still playing the same basic plot as you would if you chose the other gender. All that changes is the appearance of the character, which really isn't that big a deal.

Conman
February 3rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Well for most non-RPG games, like fighting games, gender doesn't even remotely matter to me. As for actual RPGs though, like Pokemon, I'm always a male. I think I've only chosen female twice, once was a mistake and the first time was for Crystal, because it was a new feature. I just like to portray my respective gender in RPGs, especially if it has online...not to mention my name for almost anything is Conman. Though using Conny is possible if I do choose female, meh.

----------------
Listening to: Powerglove - Mario Minor (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/powerglove/track/mario+minor)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

spike6958
February 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
I don't see a problem with it, i mean 9 times out of 10 I'll pick a male character from force of habit if nothing else, but when it comes to Pokemon since Ruby and Sapphire i have always pick Boy in one game and Girl in the other (the girl always getting named after there anime charater).

Karin18
February 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
lol, sometimes i'll play as the guy character if theres a choice. It's pretty much the same thing ^_^

darkmewham2
February 3rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
I play as a girl. Because i am a girl... >.> I've noticed that with guys though.

^
| Your avatar looks so official it's scary. o.o

Karin18
February 3rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
I usually play as the girl character, cuz it is a guy most of the time. Its good to get back to muh feminin self sometimes :D