PDA

View Full Version : Severe Snow causes for Schools to be closed!

Kazukii
February 2nd, 2009, 12:29 AM
Here in the Uk, for the first time in my life, schools closed because of weather! We just woke up and found tonnes of snow everwhere. Minutes later my friend called up to tell me school was closed =D

Yipee!

Magangryoung
February 2nd, 2009, 01:01 AM
Me too looool its great ain't it!!

>Feelings<
February 2nd, 2009, 02:40 AM
I think something's wrong with the world, with extreme weather conditions at places - some places covered with too much snow and some facing over 45 degrees of heat.
I think year after year it'll keep getting worse... yeah, something sure is happening...

Cheesymitten
February 2nd, 2009, 02:43 AM
Yay snow!
:D I don't think i've seen it this thick since i was 5 or something O.o
But i've had my school closed before so why wasn't yours Pogo?

♣Gawain♣
February 2nd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Wow, never heard of an extreme blizzard in the UK...

Cheesymitten
February 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM
Na mostly it's just cold and never snows
Which is a bit annoying :s

X-626
February 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
It hardly snows there? Wow, that would be annoying. That's nice that you finally got a good snow, though. Unfortunately, I'm kind of sick of the snow that's on the ground here at the moment...too much of a good thing, I guess?

Cassino
February 2nd, 2009, 07:00 AM
This is where my trenchcoat really stands out. Everyone's freezing their balls off in whatever modest jacket they have and I'm covered tip to toe in suede and cotton. I went out and took some photos since this is not likely to happen for a while again.
I really didn't think anything would be closed... but it's just as well, since I was up 'til 4AM last night, which would've left me with three hours of sleep. o_o

Wow, never heard of an extreme blizzard in the UK...
Haha, blizzard? Let alone a severe blizzard? It's just calm snowfall, fifty years ago this was normal in Britain.

Razer302
February 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
I still had school today. I didn't get anywhere near enough snow as further south than me. I should have the day off tomorrow as it has been snowing all day and hopefully tonight it will get worse and freeze over causing me to have tomorrow off. Really don't want to go in tomorrow, I have my least favourite lesson.

Mr. Epic
February 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM
=D
Oh yeah baby! I just came back from a snowball fight.
When I found out yesterday we had a big fat party all night long!
No school because of snow has happened to me a couple of times before.

Clairissa
February 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
You youngin's and your school.
Though I'm sure the kids in my area are upset, we haven't had anything near 2 inches this year, normally we get a ton of snow..

Gold warehouse
February 2nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Cornwall still has no snow, ha, the schools will never be closed due to the weather here.

Sonido
February 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
I got the day off as well. Yippe! I just got back from loads of snow fun :D.

processr
February 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Yeah, we got snow. For ten minutes. At four o'clock.

Why does Devon have to be so southerly? T_T

Avey
February 2nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
It was snowing a bit, but we didn't get the day off school. Apparently the forecast predicts much more snow tomorrow and we've been told to expect school to be cancelled, but I'm not getting hyped up over anything until it's confirmed.

Gold warehouse
February 2nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
=D We just got loads of snow. It's almost ankle deep in just 1 hour!

Sonido
February 2nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
=D We just got loads of snow. It's almost ankle deep in just 1 hour!
We've got loads too. I'm about 5'9 and the snow goes almost to my knees!

DarknessSneasel
February 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
it's the souht east that is being hit, Surrey is being hit almost the most badly. All the shools in Surrey are closed.If you haven't guessed i live in the county of surrey. I get school off tomorrow aswell. :)

Callandor
February 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
I think something's wrong with the world, with extreme weather conditions at places - some places covered with too much snow and some facing over 45 degrees of heat.
I think year after year it'll keep getting worse... yeah, something sure is happening...

Can you say "The Day After Tomorrow" for real?

NoBel_ToKYo ™
February 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
I had loads of snow where i am, as a fellow brit..But i'm not off school :( Let's see what happens tomorrow

Jorah
February 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
YAY! In Bristol we got snow, which is cool because it's over to the west of the country and most of it is at the east of the country. There wasn't any in the morning, it started snowing around 8:30am haha and snowed through most of the day.

Capt. Couch
February 2nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Happy snow day! :D

Ohio has gotten a good heaping of snow on its plate lately. Some places nearly had a foot of snow drop. I've already missed a few days of school, which is nothing to complain about. Over here, it normally doesn't get too bad until February, so I wonder what else is to come. :\

To Write Love On Her Arms
February 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
And yet on the other side of the world in Adelaide, Australia its going to be like 44.3 degrees for the first few weeks in Feb.

THE WORLD IS GOING CRAZY!

I havent seen snow in my life, it never snows in Australia :(

h POKE
February 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
We get so many days off it's not even funny. There's at least 3 cm of ice on the ground above the snow right now. How about you people across the pond?

♣Gawain♣
February 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
That would be funny, 'cause you'll slip and fall when you step on the frozen ground.

parallelzero
February 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
I should start shipping Canadian snow worldwide. Make it a business.

Because, my word, we have enough. More than enough.

Ben Kenobi
February 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
It's thick over here in London. College was cancelled today, apparently, though I don't have any classes on Monday. Hopefully it will stay like this the rest of the week.

Zanacross
February 2nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Global warming is a myth I tell ya.

Counterfeit
February 3rd, 2009, 12:24 AM
Today is my day off. 8]

http://i41.tinypic.com/347xp1y.jpg

Hamako-chan
February 3rd, 2009, 12:31 AM
Too bad it dosen't snow in my country :'(
My school never closes, except on the holidays :D

Gold warehouse
February 3rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
I like how many other countries put up with this every year, as soon as Britain gets a few inches of snow; schools shut, London is locked up, the police are warning not to drive, no cars anywhere on the road, people are scared to go out because they think they might drown in snow or get frostbite. All of Britain is basically shut down.

Suki
February 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Today was my day off! I spent it by playing in the snow with my friends, and completing a Citizenship assignment, and right now, I feel absolutely drained of my energy. I don't think my school should have closed today, as the snow wasn't that thick, and I doubt it will close tomorrow again; it will be dangerously icy though. x3

Sonido
February 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Today was my day off! I spent it by playing in the snow with my friends, and completing a Citizenship assignment, and right now, I feel absolutely drained of my energy. I don't think my school should have closed today, as the snow wasn't that thick, and I doubt it will close tomorrow again; it will be dangerously icy though. x3
It was so Icy today. I almost fell over, and stupid people throwing Ice balls at people made school really bad. Apparently it is supposed to snow tomorrow, hopefully school is closed and I can relax and have fun at home.

Dark Azelf
February 5th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Haha i got a day off school today, the snow is about shin height which was a real shock when i saw it this moring, since it never snows that bad here o.o. Its apparently meant to be snowing again overnight so yeah, i should be off tomorrow too. (yay ? =p)

Jorah
February 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
We had a snow day today, too! Loads of schools in the city were closed and luckily my college was, too! It snowed a lot in the night. It was so cool actually being able to walk on snow, I love the crunchy sound! It was only about an inch or two high here, but tha'ts enough for me! I went out in the morning but my about 11am a lot of the more-used paths were slushy and very slippery. Hopefully it snows again tonight, I don't want to go back to college again tomorrow...

I like how many other countries put up with this every year, as soon as Britain gets a few inches of snow; schools shut, London is locked up, the police are warning not to drive, no cars anywhere on the road, people are scared to go out because they think they might drown in snow or get frostbite. All of Britain is basically shut down.

Well, that's because we're completly not used to it ^^ We have no precautions because it's so rare for us to get snow, and I suppose drivers aren't used to it at all so it would be even more dangerous. Usually all we get is frost, just getting 1mm of snow is exciting XD

processr
February 5th, 2009, 01:54 PM
At one point today we had clear skies and bright sunshine. =D

But seriously, not a hint of snow here in Plymouth. >>;

Avey
February 6th, 2009, 03:23 AM
It was snowing a bit, but we didn't get the day off school. Apparently the forecast predicts much more snow tomorrow and we've been told to expect school to be cancelled, but I'm not getting hyped up over anything until it's confirmed.

Right, we were let go home early the next day, and for the last two days school has been cancelled.

It's funny watching my country come to a complete stop because of the weather.

Guillermo
February 6th, 2009, 03:26 AM
All we get here is sheer heat.. and more heat.. and after that, more heat.

School's never canceled due to the heat here, and we never get snow.

Lucky people in cold countries. :<

Razer302
February 6th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I have had 2 snow days due to 6inches+ of snow. I was off yesterday and today. I had Tuesday off simple because the teachers for my lessons weren't in school and I wasn't spending 5 hours in school with nothing to do. I am fed up with the school being shut. I actually want to go in as I have an evaluation to do but I can't do it from home as the work is at school.

Was out all day yesterday in the snow, and it was so much fun. Me and a few friends made a huge snowman was like 8foot tall, we are arranging to go out again later but first I am going to make one in my garden and will put some pictures of it on my profile later. Be sure to check them out.

Graceful
February 6th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Well I've been of school all week because of the snow!-And when I walked to school(to be sent home) I have to go across a field called 'the skelly' and theres a pond,It was frozen,so was the stream!

Jorah
February 6th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Hooray! This is my second snow day! I had one yesterday and one today! Today the snow was about 2inches deep, I've never seen snow that deep o.O This is the third ever snow day I've had in my life haha.

Sonido
February 6th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hooray! This is my second snow day! I had one yesterday and one today! Today the snow was about 2inches deep, I've never seen snow that deep o.O This is the third ever snow day I've had in my life haha.
Very lucky, you are. I have school now because the snow and Ice have melted :(

Neety
February 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
It didn't snow in Essex? I'm in Dorset, we got snow today. Only a tiiiiny tiny bit. You wouldn't have thought it enough to close a school for but the school my mum works in got closed. Some have been closed for the whole week...

Route 18
February 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Melbourne is experiencing the exact opposite. Today, the temperature climbed up to 44 degrees Celsius, even after a cool week in the mid to high 20's. Good thing is that there'll be a cool change today, with the temperature dropping down to just 23.

Soul Eater
February 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I remember my snow days. They were like total heaven but oh how I miss living in Maine. ;^; I live in Arizona but I used to love playing in the snow. Winter is my most favorite season ever but we never get snow where I live. >_<

Kazukii
February 7th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I got two days off but I hear other places kind of near me got like 4 days off.

Platinum Lucario
February 7th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I live in South-Western part of Victoria, which is in Australia. It's just 4 hours away from Melbourne.
And oh, I just can't believe it. And like, having two days of 45 degree weather.
Even though it might have cooled down for a bit, but then it gets really really hot again.

I guess everyone has to accept that Climate Change is happening. But anyone is free to disagree with me, if they wish.

Superjub
February 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Tuesday, Thursday and Friday school was closed for me XD
Hopefully, it will be closed Monday and Tueday too :D
I wonder what could be causing these wierd weather conditions *cough*globalwarming*cough*.
But yay, school was closed for me XD

Suki
February 7th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Meh, I agree. Have you heard that a part of the UK ran out of grit for the roads, so they're resorted to... table salt XD' we are so organised.

Dr Helios
February 8th, 2009, 04:54 AM
it was a bit annoying for me, on thursday and friday every school in my town except for mine was closed. I stayed home on thurs, but on fri my dadmade me go to school. 75 out of a normal 500 people were there.
Meh, I agree. Have you heard that a part of the UK ran out of grit for the roads, so they're resorted to... table salt XD' we are so organised.

Where i live they had to ship salt in from scotland and spain just so they could handle the A roads and nothing else was salted.

Shaterpie
February 8th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I had 2 days odd due to the snow on Thursday and Friday. What's funny is I have Monday off anyway.

5 day weekend indeed.

TRANSPARANCY
February 8th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Geez your all lucky. Snows nothing really, so your freezing, think of Australia right now. I'm so glad I'm living in Western Australia cause if you think snows bad... you have not seen/heard a thing yet.

Right now in Aussieland...
over 60% of Queensland is flooded (and Queensland's the largest state). Been raining for around 7 days in a row.
An inferno in Victoria: Entire towns burnt down. Thought to have been started by an Arsonist, the strong winds are not helping.

It might not seem like much, all of this is still happening as we speak. Apart from the areas that are flooded or are caught in the fiery inferno... they probably still have to go to school so count yourself lucky.

Dakota
March 2nd, 2009, 06:17 AM
Sorry for bringing this old thread up, but its still within date. I just had to say my schools closed cause of this blizzard in New York!

dc_united
March 2nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Yeah, the whole East Coast is pretty much closed down. We've got like four inches of snow and ice where I am

Melodyfree
March 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
I just had to say my schools closed cause of this blizzard in New York!
This.
It's the first time we've had a legitimate snow day here in what, five years?

Virtual Chatot
March 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Only a slight rain where I live, thank you Ohio :|

~MasterMind~
March 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
sadly i have school today but ive had several snow days(around 8-11 days) and if we had anymore they said they would have to extend the year D:

Dakota
March 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
This.
It's the first time we've had a legitimate snow day here in what, five years?

Exactly the amount. Since 2004, we have had school on and on and on...
You think it might be closed tommorow too?

HoneyBubbles
March 2nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
My school was also closed~
I live in VA though, not the UK.

Zebra Thunderhead
March 2nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
We've got about 8" here. Just a dusting.

Azonic
March 2nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
In the south, people freak out when they see snow. I'm from Chicago, so we get like, tons of snow. But here in NC, you get like 1 cm of snow and they cancel school for the whole day. XD

We got a snow day today too.

the bitter end.
March 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
I must be very unfortunate. -_-

g.narron
March 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
It snowing alot where i live

Wish
March 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
In Georgia, we all freaked since it hasn't snowed here for eight years.

Yeah, I got the day off today.

Melodyfree
March 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Exactly the amount. Since 2004, we have had school on and on and on...
You think it might be closed tommorow too?
I wish. xP
We'll probably get a 2 hour delay at best.

Alistair
March 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Only a slight rain where I live, thank you Ohio :|

Just cold in this part of Ohio. Hopefully Erie melts so we can have the last four of our "calamity days," as my school calls it. We did have slight snow on Sunday, though. Usually living in the snow belt grants us the use of all six of our "calamity days," if not more, but we have only used two this year (darn the school officials who don't even live in the county!).

Felly
March 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
Got a snow day on Inauguration Day in January. No snow ever fell. Then we had to make it up on President's Day, which I didn't go in for. I was sick. [Stayed home the day after too because I was sick.] Then today, it's snowing and the grounds are iced over. TWO HOUR DELAY. That's it! >_< Would've been a whole lot better to just cancel school altogether. :| Would've made everyone's lives a million times easier here.

Also, note that I live in Virginia in the part where you rarely see snow. [More specifically, Virginia Beach.]

Fox♠
March 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
looks like more snow for the UK next week if weather reports are correct.

BHwolfgang
March 3rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
My school was also closed~
I live in VA though, not the UK. Hooray! A fellow Virginian!

Well, in Henrico, our schools has closed down for three, straight days! So, practically, we're currently having a five day weekend. :-)