PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting a job?

Penguin13
February 2nd, 2009, 11:23 PM
I know I'm not the only one having trouble getting a job.. Post your job search stories?

I live in Hawaii, and that means only one thing. If you have an auntie/uncle/cousin (no, not the blood relative type, here it just means close acquaintance) in the company, you're given priority over even the most qualified applicants. That's just how it works here, sadly enough.

Well, even since December 19, 2008 (the day after I graduated from the National Guard Youth Challenge Academy, a 5.5 month residential alternative school run by the DoD, instead of DoE, for teens age 16-19 to get their HS diploma) I've been looking for a job. I've filled out countless applications, both paper and online, and went to countless interviews. I don't have any work experience, but I do have an impressive resume:
- graduated top of my class with a "Director's Academic Achievement Award"
- scored exceptionally well on the ASVAB
- lots and lots of volunteer work (100+ hours)
- in college with a 4.0 GPA
- etc

Well, for more than a month after that, I didn't get offered ONE job. I even applied to all of the popular fast food restaurants at more than one location. I applied all over the island, and for many different positions: cashier, receptionist, stocking, inventory, manual labor, etc. But about a week ago, I FINALLY got a job offer. It was from the UPS store as a package handler. You basically unload all the packages from the airplane. The only shift available was 10pm to 2am. It's a very physically demanding job. You have to handle 1 package every 3 seconds, weighing anywhere between weightless and up to 75 pounds. It's also pretty dangerous. Normal injuries can occur. One guy even got his toes chopped off by a saw blade that fell out of the package.

I'm still looking for ANY job. I've applied to at least 20 more since I got that call. I realllllly don't want to settle for this minimum wage physical job.. But I have to take whatever I can get.

I have thought about joining the military, and that's what I'm going to do (Air National Guard), once I lose about 10 more pounds. Even if I enlisted now, I'd have to wait at least 5 months before I could go to basic training.. So yeah.

Well.. That's about it.

Cassino
February 3rd, 2009, 06:50 AM
One guy even got his toes chopped off by a saw blade that fell out of the package.
... There's no safety standard demanding the wearing of steel-toed boots?
Best get yourself some if you think you're going to be in that job for a while.

Callandor
February 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
... There's no safety standard demanding the wearing of steel-toed boots?
Best get yourself some if you think you're going to be in that job for a while.

Acctualy, Myth Busters proved that while your toes are safe, your foot gets choped in half. Go figure.

Penguin13
February 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
Well, it's not required to wear steel toe boots on the job, but it's highly recommended.

matt561
February 3rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Dont eithen get me started on jobs for apprenticeships

Every one I tried to get was a closed door and eithen the army dont want me because of a broken ankle.

But hey im now going to go to College so it might all work out

Clairissa
February 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Jobs around here are really scarce, I was lucky to get the one I have, after not having a job since I was 17...
My mom has a lot more experience then I have and even she's gone without a job for almost a year after the insurance place she worked at closed down, and now it's getting even worse, a couple of my friends had to move to get work =/

Mario The World Champion
February 4th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Me and about 100 other people from my job got laid off last Friday. And since nobody's hiring these days, the chances of me finding another job are so slim.

jasonresno
February 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I quit my job in Data Entry at a Publishing company a few months ago. Was unemployed for maybe two weeks. Got a job working at probably one of the only stable companies around, Wal Mart. I'm an Orderfiller. It's probably one of the most demanding jobs you can get. 11 hour shifts that start at 3:45 in the morning. But the company is great. I get full benefits. And my training program will have me making almost $20 an hour when it's all said and done. And this is all with just a high school diploma.

Mark me lucky.