PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Top Friends?

Sublime
February 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Would it be at all possible to add a feature to change the six random friends into a top friends, of sorts? Like, just making it where the same six people show up in the friends section instead of six random friends.

It's just that when I want to stalk see what some of my friends are up to, I might have to rummage through the whole list to find they're name if they don't appear in the random six.

Also, it would also be pretty cool just to display to everyone who your best friends are xD

It's not needed, but it would be a neat little feature..

Also: There should be a "Suggestion" prefix xD

processr
February 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM
My ingenious solution is to have less than six users listed as friends. =3

Avey
February 4th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I'm pretty sure this was brought up in April or May, now that you think about it. It'd be a nifty feature, but there's the worry that someone will get really angry with someone else when his/her username isn't listed in the top six friends. Sort of causing unnecessary strife, don't you agree?

My ingenious solution is to have less than six users listed as friends. =3

Less than seven, don't you mean?

Ausaudriel
February 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Personally I want to remove the "Friends" box from the right side of the profiles. @_@; It takes up a lot of space, especially when it's duplicated content (we have a whole tab for friends that has a lot more info.)

JX Valentine
February 4th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Agreed about the Suggestion prefix, but other than that, I'll have to give a nod to Erebus here. ^_^; I mean, if your friends list is so long it's becoming a hassle for you, then chances are, you probably need to do a friends cut because there are probably people you aren't talking to or don't care enough about. Otherwise, if you've got more than six people you want to talk to or stalk on a daily basis, then you're back to wading through your friends list because you have no room to fix them to those six hypothetical slots. Seems to me an easier solution would be not only to keep your friends list small but also to maintain a conversation with the people you want to keep in touch with through VMs or PMs. That way, you have easy access to their names.

processr
February 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Less than seven, don't you mean?

...Yeah. >_<

Also, yeah, showing a little more support for a Suggestion prefix.

Ausaudriel
February 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah yeah, suggestion prefix added. >:[ You lazy people can't just type out "Suggestion"? XD

Buoysel
February 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah yeah, suggestion prefix added. >:[ You lazy people can't just type out "Suggestion"? XD

No, we can't XD

And I don't really care either way, but you did make a good point with eliminate the box on the right.

Cynic Kaka
February 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Ah, top friends. The sure-fire way to spark envy

It'd be a great idea, but I'm sure Steve has a lot of other things on his mind.

Cassino
February 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I was thinking of the notion of top friends a few days ago...
Then I thought the admins would say no and that it would generate unnecessary hassle when people start asking each other "why aren't I in your top friends‽ >:U".
This reasoning made sense to me so I decided not to make a thread about it; but now there is a thread about it I'd be interested to see what the admins' actual reaction is.

Personally I want to remove the "Friends" box from the right side of the profiles. @_@; It takes up a lot of space, especially when it's duplicated content (we have a whole tab for friends that has a lot more info.)
The biography field is also duplicated for no apparent reason.

Sublime
February 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Then I thought the admins would say no and that it would generate unnecessary hassle when people start asking each other "why aren't I in your top friends‽ >:U".
This reasoning made sense to me so I decided not to make a thread about it; but now there is a thread about it I'd be interested to see what the admins' actual reaction is.

I was kind of on the fence about posting it also, but here we are! :D

And the biography usually takes up more space than the friends do.

Eucliffe
February 4th, 2009, 05:43 PM

I have to agree with Cassino on this one. I really do have over 6 awesome friends, but if I can only have 6 in the top friends list, some of my other friends who might've really considered me to be one of their close friends would most likely ask why they're not on there (though they probably wouldn't ask in a n00bish way =P), and I wouldn't want to give any explanation in fear of hurting their feelings, despite if I have gotten to know them or not.

So yeah. It's an interesting suggestion, but I just like the six random friends appearing.

Stronkadonk
February 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
There's really no point to it, that could also create complaints from people who wanted to be one of your "Top Friends".

Ausaudriel
February 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
It'd be a great idea, but I'm sure Steve has a lot of other things on his mind.
Which is why it's lucky there are other admins on our team who can do this. :]

Anyway, I can't remember what the popular opinion on this was from the last thread, but there was a reason we decided not to do it. I think the least of which was people complaining about not being on top friends... in fact, I don't get why that's an admin issue. @.@ That's personal from member to member.

I'll take a look back over the thread and see about stuff.

Melody
February 4th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I laughed when I read the prevalent reason against this idea. Seriously. Anyone who is immature enough to make a big deal out of not being listed on your Top Friends list definitely doesn't deserve to ever be on the list. People who start e-drama like that ought to be completely ignored.

If you're the type of person who just cant handle picking 6 top friends then you dont have to do it. It's not like we're saying it's mandatory. We could leave the default behavior of a random 6 friends being chosen as the default option for those who choose not to specify any 'Top' Friends.

Cassino
February 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I don't get why that's an admin issue. @.@ That's personal from member to member.
It becomes an admin issue when moderators start ranting in the staff forum about how they get so many whiny PMs about it.

Ausaudriel
February 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM
By "admin" I meant administration in a staff-wide sense. I fail to see why it matters to the staff.

There are plenty of things that have been done, plenty more that will be done, that not everyone will like. There will always be people complaining about something, we can't please everybody. In this case, I don't see how a member PMing a staff member saying "hey it's not fair, _____ didn't put me on their top friends! D:" is reason enough to not implement the feature. At most, it takes under a minute for the staffer to PM back saying "it's their personal decision, it doesn't concern the staff."

There are many other things that we're already PMed about, much bigger things. Part of being a staff member is dealing with the occasional "whiny" or "annoying" PM.

Melody
February 4th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Exactly. There's no reason for the staff to thumbs down the feature because some fear it will cause problems. If you feel that you dont want to deal with the issues arising from selecting 6 Top Friends, then you simply dont participate by selecting the vB default behavior. (Which simply selects 6 random friends) I'm sure that Audy will be more than happy to ensure that there is an option for those who do not wish to endure the strain of selecting top friends. The feature would be there for people who find it useful. As I said before, Anyone who throws a hissy fit about not being on a 'Top Friends' list, isn't really a good friend if you ask me.

devilicious
February 4th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I laughed when I read the prevalent reason against this idea. Seriously. Anyone who is immature enough to make a big deal out of not being listed on your Top Friends list definitely doesn't deserve to ever be on the list. People who start e-drama like that ought to be completely ignored.

Absolutely agreed. I mean, seriously.

I think it would be a nice idea, so it gets a (Y) from me.

Zebra Thunderhead
February 4th, 2009, 06:49 PM
What is this now, Myspace?

Buoysel
February 4th, 2009, 07:21 PM
What is this now, Myspace?

lol, I was thinking the same thing.

And who ever gave me bad rep for my last post, it was meant to be a joke, you know, ha ha. -_-