PDA

View Full Version : "Holy Matrimony!" Episode Discussion

Charaxes
March 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Here is where you can discuss James' past in "Holy Matrimony!"

My review to come forthwith.

Jorah
March 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I LOVE this episode! It's one of my favourites! It's so funny how the parents pretended to be dead, James's random story of how he died, Ash and Brock believing and crying at James's random story of how he died, how Growlithe's house is x100000 bigger than any normal house and they mistaken it for James's house, how the parents pretended they couldn't see Jessie and Meowth and Jessiebella is CRAZY. I would watch it again right now but I'm loading 2 other videos and my computer is going crazily slow.

Suzume
March 13th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I love this episode as well~ <3 One of my all-time favourites. This episode made me SO fall for James when I first saw it. :3 Ash and Brock sobbing at James' sad "life story", Growlie saving James in a heroic scene, James' crazy parents. And the beautiful scene between Jessie and James in the end! <3<3 The scene where James left Growlie behind was so sad. :< He shoud've taken him with him! The weirdest points of this episode were James faking amnesia (Do you really think that will get you out of this? Though he was still kinda cute when he acted like he didn't remember anything. :3) and Jessie & Meowth 'hiding' behind James. ("Omg! They can see us!" Oh really...?) Great episode overall~

Vernikova
March 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I found this episode to be quite boring. Of course, character development is always a nice inclusion but it was too boring for me.

Jorah
March 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I love this episode as well~ <3 One of my all-time favourites. This episode made me SO fall for James when I first saw it. :3 Ash and Brock sobbing at James' sad "life story", Growlie saving James in a heroic scene, James' crazy parents. And the beautiful scene between Jessie and James in the end! <3<3 The scene where James left Growlie behind was so sad. :< He shoud've taken him with him! The weirdest points of this episode were James faking amnesia (Do you really think that will get you out of this? Though he was still kinda cute when he acted like he didn't remember anything. :3) and Jessie & Meowth 'hiding' behind James. ("Omg! They can see us!" Oh really...?) Great episode overall~

I completly forgot about James having to leave Growlie! I would say I would've liked Growlie to come along with James too, except that would mean it be Thunderbolted hundreds of times :(

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
March 13th, 2009, 01:43 PM
This whole episode kinda worried me. I mean, what kind of parent pretends to be dead in order to get their son to come home, so that they can trap him in a cellar with a mad woman who has a strange fondness for whips? Isn't this a kid's show?

Azumi
March 13th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Oh, you mean the episode when James meets Jessibelle? I don't really remember the details, but it was a funny episode, I think. Poor James.

I don't remember anything about James' parents pretending to die, AND James creates a random story about his death. But I REALLY hate Jessibelle. She's really mean!!!

Haza
March 13th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I love this episode and how his match was a girl like Jessie. What were they trying to say? lol

Drew
March 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
This whole episode kinda worried me. I mean, what kind of parent pretends to be dead in order to get their son to come home, so that they can trap him in a cellar with a mad woman who has a strange fondness for whips? Isn't this a kid's show?

I know rite?!

D:

That's what I thought too, I still love this episode though. xD I'd say, that for whatever reason, it's still one of my favorites. Probably because James is one if my favorite (if not my first favorite) character..

I love Growlie.. ; ; he should've taken him along.

Jessiebell annoyed me to no end, though.

"You're not runnin' properly!" .. D< -falconpawnch-

Still love the episode.. seen it so many times.

Jorah
March 14th, 2009, 04:02 AM

It's a kids show...made in Japan. Haha.

wobbadude1
March 14th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I usually don't enjoy the episodes where Ash didn't catch anything or no one evolved or no gym battles, or any sort of character progression.

However, this episode I felt was quite enjoyable and very funny! :D

weedle_mchairybug
October 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I felt it was a very good episode to give James backstory. It's also nice that of all of the continuity errors that "Training Daze" brought into the picture, they at least kept that consiistent between the two [well, in the Japanese version at least. I'm afraid I can't say the same for the dub].

I also liked it that Misty at least was able to see through the very obvious lie that James told.

I stilld don't know why Brock, of all people, would actually think the story was true. I mean, he's supposed to be the smartest, most level headed member of the group, and yet he can't even realize someone's lying when it smacks him in the face?!

luf100
October 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Favourite episode, EVER. XD I love James too much, and this episode was so good. It's kinda weird, how Jessie, James and Meowth have had more of their history and past shown, and have had more development than the other characters. I didn't remember any of this episode or the facts about James in it from when I was a kid. So I was kinda shocked when I found out that he was from a super rich family, had a fiancee, that he ran away to get away from her, that she was identical to Jessie, etc. xD I felt really bad for him when Jessie and Meowth were forcing him to get married. :/

His story about running away and freezing to death? AHA. I will always remember... Brock: "I can't believe James is gone!" Ash: "I miss him!" Misty: "James is standing right here!"

I liked how, even though Team Rocket is all about money, and James and Jessie are always thinking of ways to get rich, in this episode, he could've cared less about the money he could have because he wouldn't like his life with it.

Growlie, aaaw. I loved it, it was sad he had to leave it there though. :(

The end scene between Jessie and James made my little Rocketshipper heart SO happy. ^_^ Love love love.

XxDawnfanxX
October 5th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Great, hilarious episode. How did Jesse and Meowth expect everyone not to see them? It was pretty funny when the butler carried them all up the stairs I was like "What the?" Only thing I didn't get is when they were in the basement did James not have Weezing to use smokescreen for the getaway? I guess that would have taken away from Growlie being the hero of the day. For the people that always say "Well why does James want to be rich if he can just go back to his home" Well, he can't get the money unless he marries Jessebell, which he would never do lol.

nakoma
October 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
One of my top five favorites and one of the rocketshippiest episodes :3 It was an amazing episode.

LOL at meowth it looks like some sort of weird gym equipment!

luf100
October 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM
^ Me thinks Jessibell might just be a little kinky. Seriously, some of that stuff looked like torture instruments. O_o Who knows what she would've done to James if they had gotten married...

Charaxes
October 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
^ Me thinks Jessibell might just be a little kinky. Seriously, some of that stuff looked like torture instruments. O_o Who knows what she would've done to James if they had gotten married...

That's why God made lemon writing.

Anyway, it is a favorite non-game canon episode of mine, as it gave much needed backstory of James. Jessie's backstory would be in the Birth of Mewtwo CD drama and Meowth's origin would be 20-30 episodes later, but it starts with him. And he certainly has a fleshed motivation, as being in Team Rocket gives him more freedom than he would living at home.*

And amazingly, the twerps didn't act like the usual brats they can be. Good for them.

As for the visual similarities in Jessie and Jessebelle, well... it never occurred to the writers that they would pair James with a woman that looks like an identical twin of the person he ran away from and has painful memories of? Um.... Yes, the writers don't plan things out thoroughly, don't they? Or, they wrote James' origin on the fly, which is what I suspect.

*Which is ironic, given what a hardass Giovanni can be.

False Flag
October 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM
This episode reminded me of why James should never get married to either Jessie or anyone for that matter. Why be bossed around so much? That's why anime guys like Goku ran off and left Chi Chi for good because she nagged Goku so much since he was literally scared of his wife happily set off an another journey in order to become stronger.

Shedinjareese
October 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
This is such a great episode, I agree! I'm a huge rocketshipper and I LOVE Rocket backstory episodes but unfortunately in the newer backstory eps James and Jessie care less about each other's previous lives than in these older ones. :-( But it's so great how every once in a while references to this episode come up. Also, this episode is great because it fell in around the time where James was still really goofy and cross-dressy. This episode makes you respect him a lot more and suddenly he becomes a real, deep character, not that comic relief fall guy of ambiguous sexuality.

False Flag
October 8th, 2009, 11:51 AM
This is such a great episode, I agree! I'm a huge rocketshipper and I LOVE Rocket backstory episodes but unfortunately in the newer backstory eps James and Jessie care less about each other's previous lives than in these older ones. :-( But it's so great how every once in a while references to this episode come up. Also, this episode is great because it fell in around the time where James was still really goofy and cross-dressy. This episode makes you respect him a lot more and suddenly he becomes a real, deep character, not that comic relief fall guy of ambiguous sexuality.

Yeah, more or less. I think James won't go for a relationship at this moment since he's traumatized at the moment. XD

weedle_mchairybug
October 17th, 2009, 05:03 AM
So... can someone please explain to me why Brock, despite his reputation of being the wisest and smartest member of the group, had easily fallen for a white lie (Honestly, Jame's lie was so white, that even Snow White's skin is brownish gold.)

luf100
October 17th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Well, everyone did except for Misty. I think they were all just so caught up in the story that they temporarily forgot that James-the-kid was in fact the same James standing right in front of them, because it was just so darn sad. :P That's how I took it at least.

Masquerainisthajam
October 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
They should make a "The Return of Jessebelle" episode. That would be pretty funny. They probably should put Jessebelle as a Contest Coordinator and she could square off against Jessie (Jesselina) in the Battle Round. (Vileplume vs. Yanmega...)