PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Quick Scripting Method

Ray Maverick
March 31st, 2009, 08:35 AM
[css-div="width: 98%; background-color: gray ; color: black; border-color: steelblue; border-width: 10px; border-style: solid; margin: 0; font: Arial black; text-align: centre;"][css-div="text-align: center; background-color: Black; padding-bottom: 4px; padding-top: 8px; font-size: 30pt; font-variant: small-caps; border-bottom: 4px solid steelblue; color: White;"]Quick Scripting Method[/css-div][/css-div]

[css-div="width: 98%; background-color: gray ; color: black; border-color: SteelBlue; border-width: 10px; border-style: solid; margin: 0; font: Tahoma; text-align: centre;"]

[css-div="font-weight: bold; font-size: 120%; border-bottom: 1px solid Blue; color: Blue; width: 45%;"].:Introduction:.[/css-div]
Hey,Ray is here!Hope you enjoy this!This will be a surprize to you,
but i am not an advanced scripter,and yet,i made a tutorial for scripting.
Don't ask me how is this possible.
[css-div="font-weight: bold; font-size: 120%; border-bottom: 1px solid Blue; color: Blue; width: 45%;"].:Tools you will need:.[/css-div]
1) XSE
2) Advanced map
*You can get these tools in the 'toolbox' forum.

[css-div="font-weight: bold; font-size: 120%; border-bottom: 1px solid Blue; color: Blue; width: 45%;"].:Quick Scripting method:.[/css-div]
I've discovered a quick way of scripting,and i made this tutorial to teach it to you.
So let's get on with it.
Instead of trying to make a script that's working,you can copy a familiar script from another version(FR for example).This might be weird for you,because it's new to you.So there are the steps of using that method.

[css-div="font-weight: bold; font-size: 120%; border-bottom: 1px solid Blue; color: Blue; width: 45%;"].:Steps:.[/css-div]
1) Open advanced map,load a rom with a familiar script to yours.
2) Find that script,and open it in XSE(Just click on it twice)
3) Copy the script*,and then open for second time a-map and load the rom you want to hack with this script. *keep in mind the type of script it was(was it a person event?Or a signpost?Or a normal script?)
4) Change the amount of events,make the same-type script as it was the previous script.
5) Open that script with XSE and paste the copied script from before.
6) Now,change the offsets,the text,and the movements.
Congratulations,you learned a fast way to script!!
Now,for the starters in scripting.

[css-div="font-weight: bold; font-size: 120%; border-bottom: 1px solid Blue; color: Blue; width: 45%;"].:Basic scripts:.[/css-div]
This is a simple script:

#dynamic 0x******
#org @sample
lock
faceplayer
msgbox 0xrandom MSG_FACE '"I am Ray Mav..."
release
end

'----------
'Strings
'----------
#org 0xrandom
= I am Ray Maverick.

This is a script,a person event.You can freely change the text.

[css-div="font-weight: bold; font-size: 120%; border-bottom: 1px solid Blue; color: Blue; width: 45%;"].:Commands:.[/css-div]
* #dynamic 0x****** =(blue letters)is the offset,a mix of number and letters,a point in the rom.
#dynamic is the start of the script.
* #org =the start of a pointer.
* @sample =you can replace 'sample' with anything you want,and that is what we call a ''pointer''
* Lock =That command locks the player from all movements,until you use the 'release' command.
* 0xrandom =You can replace 'random' with whatever number/letters you want.

[css-div="font-weight: bold; font-size: 120%; border-bottom: 1px solid Red; color: Red; width: 45%;"].:Text commands:.[/css-div]
Ok,there are some text command that you should know:

* \p =use it to change the msgbox,by pressing A(in the game).
example: -I'm Ray.\pHi!-
=
-I'm Ray.
(space/empty)
Hi!-
* \n =use it to change the line in msgbox
example: -I'm Ray.\nHi!-
=
-I'm Ray.
Hi!-
These are the basics.There are other symbols like that,they're coming on updates

[css-div="font-weight: bold; font-size: 120%; border-bottom: 1px solid Red; color: Red; width: 45%;"].:Rules:.[/css-div]
1) No posts negative
2) Critic only
3) Ask me/tell me to fix something if you don't understand.

I hope this helps,thanks for reading,and soon,updates.

[/css-div]
[css-div="text-align: center; background-color: #eaeaea; padding-bottom: 2px; padding-top: 2px; border-bottom: 1px dotted blue;"][css-span="font-size: 8pt; color: black;"]by Ray Maverick[/css-span][/css-div]

machomuu
March 31st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Ray, is this your usual method? Because, no offense, but this isn't scripting. This is script editing. It really won't get you far in the hacking world. It's not an insult, but just a warning.

colcolstyles
March 31st, 2009, 06:18 PM
Wow!This is amazing!You're like,a really good scripter!Will you script for my hack?

Ray Maverick
March 31st, 2009, 08:43 PM
Are you kidding me Machomuu?Like i said,i'm not a scripter,but i'm learning.
So this is a way of fast 'script editing' toput you out of your miserie.
And why it won't get me far in the hacking world?It's easy and you don't need to do many things.

Sakari
March 31st, 2009, 08:46 PM
Are you kidding me Machomuu?Like i said,i'm not a scripter,but i'm learning.
So this is a way of fast 'script editing' toput you out of your miserie.
And why it won't get me far in the hacking world?It's easy and you don't need to do many things.

Thats pretty good for starter hackers and yeah i see your learning i don't even know how to do what you just did there XD.

Ray Maverick
March 31st, 2009, 08:48 PM
Owh,you want me to change the steps.Ok.I'll do it when i have the time.You'll realise that this is amazing.

colcolstyles
March 31st, 2009, 09:04 PM
You'll realise that this is amazing.
Uh, no. Just no. This not "amazing". And this isn't a quick way to script either because, to put it simply, this is hardly scripting. All this tutorial does is encourage lazy people and falsely teach them that hacking is easy. Do us all a favor and go take a look at thethethethe's scripting tutorial (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128887) or diego's XSE intrepretation of it (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276).
Just answer me this: how does this "new knowledge" benefit anybody in the hacking world? Before attempting to teach anything, consider how your "discoveries" will affect the reader. All this does is show readers how to decompile scripts and then recompile then into a new ROM. Big freakin' deal.

And I don't want you to script for my hack. I was using a little trick I like to call sarcasm ;)

Worldslayer608
March 31st, 2009, 09:23 PM
To be perfectly honest, it is WAY more beneficial to learn to script from the get go by actually scripting from scratch. On top of that, it will help reduce conflicting evens and probably even bugs in some sense.

Editing an already existing script is a silly way to learn, as it is harder to grasp how a general script should be laid out.

Srry but I think this tutorial is a joke.

Ray Maverick
April 1st, 2009, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the negative post,but i'm using that method and it's working fine,so suit yourself.

I JUST WANTED TO MAKE AN EASY WAY TO SCRIPT!!!!SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT,DON'T LOOK AT IT.IT'S NOT FOR LAZY PEOPLE,IT'S FOR PEOPLE CONFUSED BY SCRIPTING.

Worldslayer608
April 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM
You said critisicsm is accepted, and I am critisizing the method.

If it works for you it works for you, I just think it is more beneficial to go through the act of scripting your own scripts no matter how simple, as it helps the brain take in more information than just editing something.

Ray Maverick
April 1st, 2009, 12:24 AM
So you people prefer to kill yourself trying to learn scripting?
I use this method and it works out,even it is for lazy guys.I'm not one of 'em,but either ways,i like this method.

Wow!This is amazing!You're like,a really good scripter!Will you script for my hack?

There,Col.You said in a VM that this is like crap,and you don't want my help.THEN WTF IS THIS!!!???

Worldslayer608
April 1st, 2009, 12:32 AM
So you people prefer to kill yourself trying to learn scripting?
I use this method and it works out,even it is for lazy guys.I'm not one of 'em,but either ways,i like this method.

say what? I script from scratch so I wouldn't kill myself over it

Ray Maverick
April 1st, 2009, 12:37 AM
No,you'll kill yourself trying to learn.

Christos
April 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
You should quit arguing, a moderator Todoroki may see this and infract you.

Both methods are fine, and the quick one is actually better when people are having trouble scripting at first.

Ray Maverick
April 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM
There!A normal human!Thank you.

psyduck6199
April 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM
i need to start learnign how to script and i guess i could start by editing scripts

machomuu
April 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM
Well if that's the case, you should download the quick script maker. There. However this could be dangerous, according to Hackmew...

Well if that's the case, you should download the quick script maker. There. However this could be dangerous, according to Hackmew...
By that, I mean it could be dangerous to edit scripts, just a warning.

Penumbra
April 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM
FIRSTLY: Good for you, for jotting this down.
This is really convenient for novice scripters.
Also, the basic commands you provided were helpful ^.^
Now...

tsk, tsk, did you people read his rules?
Bad Todoroki's! No Negative comments!
What exactly is wrong with this way of scripting? Who cares if it's script editing or scripting. He clearly implies that this is for novice scripters. You can determine this by seeing the commands and text scripts he provided. Blow down someone else's house, you mean wolves. Just because this isn't considered "scripting" or if it's "script editing" or whatever, the point is that this is for unexperienced scripters and people who are trying to learn. How the heck is "starting from scratch" an easier way to learn. What kind of failed April fool's joke are you trying to pull here? First of all, copying and "script editing" is fine, and helps you get familiar with common scripts within the game like signposts or basic follow-me scripts. If they edit it, they can easily save this type of script for later in their hack if used later on. Okay, it's really awesome you all can script starting from chicken scratch, but not everybody can just jump into scripting and memorize it. What kind of hypocritical comment is "This is for lazy people who don't want to learn how to script". The whole point of copying, pasting, and then editing scripts are for the purpose of getting familiar with these kinds of waters. "You won't get far in the hack world". Who asked for your opinion? If you have nothing nice to say, then shutup. I don't see the actuality in "Script Editing = Failure in Script World". Not every script in a hack is a maze and complexly intimidating. Also, there's a little thing called "Teams" that exist. If you're unable to do perfect, high-quality scripts and your scripter in your team is busy, this is a perfect way to contribute SOMETHING, even if it's just for the hell of attempting scripting. Stop being grizzly hags and look at things through a different perspective.

colcolstyles
April 1st, 2009, 02:20 PM
There,Col.You said in a VM that this is like crap,and you don't want my help.THEN WTF IS THIS!!!???
Lolololololol
I'm really getting a kick out of this one! Still, I feel kinda bad about how you're struggling to grasp this simple concept. Let me help you out:
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b: the use or language of sarcasmDefinition courtesy of the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.
So basically, I don't want you to script for me. Simple as that.

Back on topic:
I didn't kill myself learning to script. After you pick up the basics, the rest comes fairly easily. I think you'd be better off learning how to make scripts from scratch. Perhaps you could also explain (correctly) what each component in your decompiled script means.

machomuu
April 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM
This is also a tutorial, tell them what an offset is.
Tell them how to decompile scripts.
Tell them what XSE is
Tell them what a script is.
If I were new, I'd be lost.

colcolstyles
April 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM
How the heck is "starting from scratch" an easier way to learn.
I never said it was easy. I'm saying that is the most beneficial method. Otherwise you don't learn anything and your ability to make something new is severely limited. My definition of "hack" means to make your own game. But if all you're doing is taking somebody else's work and copy & pasting it, you're not really hacking. I understand that hacking in its nature is taking somebody else's work and changing it but at least we're changing it! With this method, you bring nothing new to the "hack" and you, as a person, gain nothing from the exerience. That's all I'm saying.
What kind of hypocritical comment is "This is for lazy people who don't want to learn how to script".
I fail to see the hypocrisy in my statement :\

Penumbra
April 1st, 2009, 04:01 PM
I never said it was easy. I'm saying that is the most beneficial method. Otherwise you don't learn anything and your ability to make something new is severely limited. My definition of "hack" means to make your own game. But if all you're doing is taking somebody else's work and copy & pasting it, you're not really hacking. I understand that hacking in its nature is taking somebody else's work and changing it but at least we're changing it! With this method, you bring nothing new to the "hack" and you, as a person, gain nothing from the experience. That's all I'm saying.

I fail to see the hypocrisy in my statement :\

1) That's YOUR Definition.
2) Majority of the hacks aren't really hacking.
The main things they change are Dialogue/Text, Scripts, and Maps. I don't see how that's considered "Hacking a game" while there's more to the game then just that.
3) Nothing new? Copy and paste the script, change some dialogue, put it in a new place, BAM. Something new. Also, it's not like people are just going to copy and paste every single script from previous games. Again, thats why there are special "scripters" in a team. Thus, I highly doubt there will be a lack of originality if hackers stuck to this tutorial. There plans for a hack would most likely be impossible with the provided scripts from Firered/Emerald.
4) I believe I've made it clear that you DO Gain experience from "Script Editing" as you get familiar with the scripts. If you see a consistency each time you paste a script, you'll eventually notice one essential part of whatever you were copying, whether it be a command or simple signpost script.
5) It's a hypocritical statement because you're calling him lazy for trying to teach novices to script while you're busy criticizing him. I fail to see how he's the lazy one. He at least tried to contribute something to the Scripting Script Editing world.

Also, To the person asking for offsets and decompiling or whatever the heck you were babbling on about, I believe he clearly said he, too, was a newbie scripter. Out of all things, you decide to act foolish by pretending you were new. If you were new, you would try out these scripts and then ask questions after failing. If you were new, you would probably relize this tutorial-maker is pretty much a newb at this thing as well. If you were new, you wouldn't even know if an offset is worth mentioning. If you were new, you'd be saying hello in the welcome thread. If you were new, you'd apparently be lost, as you are now. What exactly was the point of targeting the things he hasn't fully grasped yet? That was a completely frivolous comment.

colcolstyles
April 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM
3) Nothing new? Copy and paste the script, change some dialogue, put it in a new place, BAM. Something new.
But just exactly how "new" is it if it has already been done before? True, it's "new" by definition but in the broad scheme of things, there's nothing original in copying a script.
4) I believe I've made it clear that you DO Gain experience from "Script Editing" as you get familiar with the scripts. If you see a consistency each time you paste a script, you'll eventually notice one essential part of whatever you were copying, whether it be a command or simple signpost script.Oh forgive me. I guess you do gain experience from script editing. That's right, you learn how to press CTRL + C and CTRL +V. Whoop-dee-freakin'-doo. Do you seriously believe that people gain knowledge from copy & pasting? You say that, with time, they will figure out the critical parts of a script but to be honest, they won't. This method doesn't teach beginner scripters what each command does. How can they possibly learn what they do and don't need in order to make their script execute correctly merely from copy & pasting? I'd be much more content with this tutorial if it offered even the slightest bit of explanation of the commands. And don't try to pass Ray's half-assed (and blatantly incorrect) little command section as an explanation.
5) It's a hypocritical statement because you're calling him lazy for trying to teach novices to script while you're busy criticizing him. I fail to see how he's the lazy one. He at least tried to contribute something to the Scripting Script Editing world.
I believe I already explained this to the last person who got mad at me for criticizing another "tutorial" but basically, I have nothing valuable to contribute to this community. The vast majority of the knowledge I have on ROM Hacking can already be found in various tutorials around the site. Just because I don't write tutorials doesn't mean I'm ignorant. In fact, I'd say I'm more mature than this guy because I can realize when I have nothing to teach. On top of that, I'm terrible at explaining things and, once again, I am aware of it and I can admit it.

HentaiHentai
April 1st, 2009, 08:31 PM
HAHAHAHAHA
Im arguing...because i can.
This is lame.
It teaches nothing.
Oh look

#dynamic 0x....

#org @main
msgbox @hello 0x2
end

#org @hello
= Hello.

-----

Wow...that was hard.

Ray Maverick
April 1st, 2009, 08:46 PM
Oh,please!This is not a tutorial to teach you scritping,this is a tutorial to teach you the Quick scripting method.Now,stop arguing with negative posts,there are normal people who like it out there.

Taz Maverick
April 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM
Just stop listening to them.They're jealous that you fond that way of scripting.
And now,you can call yourself a 'script editor' if not a scripter.

machomuu
April 2nd, 2009, 02:53 AM
Oh,please!This is not a tutorial to teach you scritping,this is a tutorial to teach you the Quick scripting method.Now,stop arguing with negative posts,there are normal people who like it out there.
That's because I have noticed that whenever someone disagrees with you on anything, Ray, you always say their "not normal" or "Don't know what they're talking about". I never said, also, that this wasn't good for starters, but according to hackmew, editing scripts can be a harmful process, and if they get use to this, they will have a hard time making a hack. Not negative. Critic.

EDIT:You should change the title, Quick Scripting Method...it's not very attractive (and is kind of misleading), more like Script Editing Tutorial or Editing Scripts or Recreating Pokemon Game Scripts

Ray Maverick
April 2nd, 2009, 03:12 AM
Ok,Machomuu,you are a normal person.But everyone misunderstood that method.
If you get to see scripting commands from other advanced scripts,you learn them,and you use them in the future.That's how i'll learn scripting.Besides,tell me why it is a harmful process.

X-Buster
April 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
pls stop it, this is going to be a war thread..

back to topic:
don't be too hard on Ray, his trying his best to teach newbies.. actually, I learned scripting this way at first, then i tried different stuff, changing them bit-by-bit until you can improve..like, when you map, you change small things from an existing map, then modify it bit-by-bit until you see the big difference.. got what i mean? :P

Ray Maverick
April 2nd, 2009, 06:29 AM
There!That's exatcly what i mean.I'll stop that war,you're right.So

No negative posts from now on,only PMs

0m3GA ARS3NAL
April 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
[off-topic]It's times like these when I wish I was a mod so I can close this thread so people would stop posting walls of text trying to prove a point that no one really cares about... nothing any of you are posting about has any direct relevance to the topic at hand. All I can say is, please try to post in relevance to the thread.
[/off topic]

And now, I gotta say, this is a nice way to make little ROM edits, for people who do that sort of thing, and I suppose it can actually help people learn the commands in XSE, sure scripting from scratch is a more beneficial method, but this helps people struggling to understand some parts of scripting, to understand them.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
April 2nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
i don't understand a thing of what are you saying...but anyway thanks for the post.

I am saying this can be helpful for people who are having a hard time understanding the way scripts work. I am complimenting you! ^_^

Ray Maverick
April 2nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
I understood that,thanx.You're a scripter too,right?

0m3GA ARS3NAL
April 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
I understood that,thanx.You're a scripter too,right?

Yeah, but I might be a bit above this tutorial, but I like to look around the entire forums, and keep things in as much order as I possibly can, heh.

Ray Maverick
April 2nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
Huh?You're talking like a mod.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
April 2nd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Huh?You're talking like a mod.

[off-topic]Nah, I'm not going to deliberately TRY to be a mod, but you know, I don't like things getting out of hand, cause that is just the way I am, I always try my best to stick to the forum rules. Of course, far be it from me to try and stop myself from ever becoming a mod, but if I get picked, I guess that would be cool.

But yeah, just report people who are doing nothing but flaming, people can disagree all they want, but if it is not even related to the thread, just report the post...[off-topic]

Believe it or not, I started out hacking like this... only it was with a hex editor, and the database file for ScriptEd... I wish this was around back then, it would have made more sense... specially since I had the hardest time figuring out what an 'offset' was, so I just edited the scripts already in game... heh...

EDIT: 500th post! WOOT!

Ray Maverick
April 2nd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Even the great Om3a was(almost) using my method!!!haha.
Well,i would like to be a mod too,it's cool,but i'm too bad,and i want revenge many times.So i'd use my powers as a mod to close threads,delete posts etc. and that is bad.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
April 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
HAHAHA!!!Eat this,everyone.Even the great Om3a was(almost) using my method!!!haha.
Well,i would like to be a mod too,it's cool,but i'm too bad,and i want revenge many times.So i'd use my powers as a mod to close threads,delete posts etc. and that is bad.

Heh, yeah, you gotta be fair to everyone to be a mod, but this mod talk is off topic, so we should change the subject back to the thread.

I hope no one gives you any more trouble about your tut here, take care!

cooley
April 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
I think HackMew has already incorporated this into XSE..It's called Script Templates, if I'm not mistaken.
This quick method of yours, is just a layout to me. It's not for lazy hackers, but let's just say you have a date to finish your hack, I would love for there to be a quick way to script, but I always do more than "wanted" to perfect my scripts. No one wants to rush, right? I think these layouts would prevent errors, since you're copying error free scripts and modifying them.

...So this really wouldn't help me out, but I see how it can help. Keep up the good work, more people like you (the kind that love to help) should be around. I also think that people, that take the time to learn scripting but something is preventing them from grasping it fully, should use these methods. As a guide =)

machomuu
April 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Ok,Machomuu,you are a normal person.But everyone misunderstood that method.
Besides,tell me why it is a harmful process.
I don't remember, it was when I just started using XSE, I originally used Poke Script. But he might have been talking about something else, so don't worry about it :).

Ray Maverick
April 3rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks.Machomuu you're amazing.But i think i posted this ''tutorial'' in the wrong section.People won't understand it.

Taz Maverick
April 5th, 2009, 10:10 AM
This tutorial is great,Ray,and i would learn script editing easily,but i don't like to hack :D

HackChu
April 5th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Hey,I think its a waste of time to argue with the creater of this thread,all he was trying to do is help someone after all he is a newb so of coarse this won't come out right.And to the guy who posted "If I was a newb"
why were you looking here,could it be possible you were looking for a easier way to script?The bottom line is there is no point of arguing over this if your not satisfied with this tutorial than go look at another,it's simple!

Surf
April 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
WOW, this is amazing :D
Now I can copy something that would've taken 30 seconds to write.

*starts laughing*

Okay seriously, this is your 'quick' method of scripting?
What if something goes wrong in the script? Huh?
If you're just copying something then you wouldn't know how to fix it or what to change.
This is the biggest joke I've ever seen, and all you wrote down was a simple talking script, which by the way, has a Massive mistake.

#dynamic 0x******
#org @sample
lock
faceplayer
msgbox 0xrandom MSG_FACE '"I am Ray Mav..."
release
end

'----------
'Strings
'----------
#org 0xrandom
= I am Ray Maverick.

You are supposed to use Dynamic offsets when using the command dynamic, like this:

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
msgbox @talk 0x2
end

#org @talk
= TONY TEH AWESOME FOR MOD :D

This is a static script, the oppisite of dynamic because you find the offsets yourself

#org 0x564755
msgbox 0x800000
end

#org 0x800000
= TONY TEH AWESOME FOR MOD :D

So, and don't flame me for this because this is harshly worded criticism, you should learn how to script before making something like this.
Ok, bye.

colcolstyles
April 7th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Hey, that's not very nice. He probably put a lot of time and effort into this tutorial. If you don't like it, then you don't have to comment.

Ray Maverick
April 7th, 2009, 11:54 PM
No,it is ok,leave it,he said it:Critism.

Thanks surf,i'll change it when i have the time.I quess i was very angry when i made this tutorial,that i forgot to add this,sorry.

You didn't think that i meant that,huh?You're very rude you know.

Surf
April 8th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Hey, that's not very nice. He probably put a lot of time and effort into this tutorial. If you don't like it, then you don't have to comment.

^*points out that it was sarcasm.* XD^

colcolstyles
April 8th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Unfortunately, our friend here is unfamiliar with the concept of sarcasm.

On-topic:
Nice tutorial! This will definitely help me with my hack! I hope to see more tutorials from you that are just as correct and well-explained as this one ;)

colcolstyles
April 8th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Have you no manners? Usually people don't refer to their superiors as "boy", thank you very much.

Ray Maverick
April 8th, 2009, 12:34 AM
How old are you,and how do i know you're superior of me?I would 'give' you my manners,if you didn't start posting negative on this thread.

These manners were only for the 1st of April,but you want to continue it.

Surf
April 8th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Oh,and you're the sarcasm boy,saying sarcasms,and them brags about it?Tell me then,is this a sarcasm?
Ray:
''this tutorial is very good,it'll teach people''

Huh?Tell me,sarcasm boy!

Of course it's sarcasm, even I used it!
Seriously, you should learn that we use it always.
I'm even starting to thing Cierra was being sarcastic.

I seriously recommend you add to this tut, or it'll end up at the back of the forum, collecting dust and bad internet puns.

colcolstyles
April 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM
If I had wanted you to know my age, I would have made it publicly available. But this is getting horribly off-topic.

I agree with S.U.R.F on his point about dynamic vs. static offsets. If you are going to use the "dynamic" preprocessing directive, then you'd better be using dynamic offsets as well, else you render the "dynamic" useless. The difference between the two would make a fine tutorial for newbies. Perhaps something also about using them together in a single script so as to recycle old segments of scripts along with new ones? Now there's an idea!

Ray Maverick
April 8th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Of course it's sarcasm, even I used it!
Seriously, you should learn that we use it always.
I'm even starting to thing Cierra was being sarcastic.

I seriously recommend you add to this tut, or it'll end up at the back of the forum, collecting dust and bad internet puns.

Ok,so i must start jokes?You don't know me well.And that was no sarcasm,i meant it,it'll teach people who respect it.

Blazichu
April 8th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Get this back on topic, rather then fighting...

Ray Maverick
April 8th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Get this back on topic, rather then fighting...

I am trying to,but these guys won't stop post negative and 'sarcastic'!

HackChu
April 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Can't yall just stop trying to criticize this guy,after all he was trying to help.But Ray maybe you shouldn't have done this tut if your a beginner your self.All it is really is just taking and looking over scripts that are already inserted and see what you could do with scripting,this isn't a "quick" way to script it's simply either cut and paste,or looking over the scripts to see what you can come up with.But yeah Everyone needs to stop picking with Ray,and instead of criticizing him make a tut of your own or look at another tut rather than waste time here!!!

machomuu
April 10th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Can't yall just stop trying to criticize this guy,after all he was trying to help.But Ray maybe you shouldn't have done this tut if your a beginner your self.All it is really is just taking and looking over scripts that are already inserted and see what you could do with scripting,this isn't a "quick" way to script it's simply either cut and paste,or looking over the scripts to see what you can come up with.But yeah Everyone needs to stop picking with Ray,and instead of criticizing him make a tut of your own or look at another tut rather than waste time here!!!
I agree, this is a great altrnative to scripting for those who are new, can't get a scripter, don't have the time to script, or are struggling to learn scripting.

Ray Maverick
April 10th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Machommu,you've hitted the point.That's why this tutorial exist, for those who are new, can't get a scripter, don't have the time to script, or are struggling to learn scripting. I am using that method, because of these issues.

poddish
April 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
personally, I prefer to use advance text for text editing, because it's easier, quicker, and it can use the original offset. Your way, however, takes a little more time, space, and effort, although I don't know how to edit the item/pokemon/amount in a-text, and it doesn't include every script, and you can't make the script longer with out risking glitches. In other words, for big script edits, or scripts missing from a-text, use this because sometimes a script is hard to remake.

Ray Maverick
April 15th, 2009, 12:02 AM
We don't talking about text editing here,we talk about scripting.

Taz Maverick
May 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I could learn scripting with that.Its a method for noobs in scripting.

●•ΛΣЯӨЩ•●
May 13th, 2009, 01:40 AM
hey this is sooooo basic ah who wil need it Ray???
:badsmile:

th3ko
May 13th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Ray, Thanks.

This IS useful for us lazy hackers ;)

Like me, I just dont wanna re-write the whole script every time, i dont think anyone does.

Im going to bookmark this, thanks for this quick and nice tutorial.

Ray Maverick
May 13th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks.Its great to hear it!

THE HACK ATTACK
May 14th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Ray i must say that this is beneficial to even us intermediate scripters... no matter what method is used as long as it does the job will work

mattattack
May 14th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I agree with hacky here it doesn't matter how you script as long as its different and Ray no offence, butr you need to watch yourself or you might get booted because I see some of your posts and some are REALLY negative

Ray Maverick
May 16th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Thats cool,thanks,i really appreciate your comments. :)

Taz Maverick
June 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM
It is beneficial,even i could start scripting with this! ;D

xXxlOsTbOixXx
June 11th, 2009, 12:00 PM
when i hit "save script" it asks me where to save it. where do i put it?
the .gba file (ROM) or what?

Ray Maverick
June 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
when i hit "save script" it asks me where to save it. where do i put it?
the .gba file (ROM) or what?

Haha,no,if you opened the script from a-map you just click "Compile" button http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3746/41551228tr2.png

.Seth
June 12th, 2009, 05:49 AM
No offense intended, but this method can be really dangerous, plus it promotes laziness, which reduces the overall quality of hacks. -__-

Ray Maverick
June 12th, 2009, 08:05 AM
No offense intended, but this method can be really dangerous, plus it promotes laziness, which reduces the overall quality of hacks. -__-

Its useful for me.I'm not lazy,i'm just busy with other hacking jobs likemapping and o/w spriting,so i can't properly learn scripting.

HackChu
June 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Man people are still fussing about how this thread helps?
Listen if it helps some people than that's great,but everyone here should stop saying how bad the thread is,its as simple as this Ray.Tell those who criticize to never come back to your thread,I've had people do the same,and I told them they're not allowed to post and look at my thread,and well they never did after that.So tell them Ray...

.Seth
June 14th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I'm not saying it's a piece of bull, but I'm just saying it can be dangerous. Also, Ray, I never said you were lazy, I'm just saying this method promotes laziness.

Also, "tyson", if you're driving criticizers, the people who tell you what's wrong so you can fix things, away, then how are you going to get people to tell you what's wrong?

Ray Maverick
June 14th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'm not saying it's a piece of bull, but I'm just saying it can be dangerous. Also, Ray, I never said you were lazy, I'm just saying this method promotes laziness.

Also, "tyson", if you're driving criticizers, the people who tell you what's wrong so you can fix things, away, then how are you going to get people to tell you what's wrong?

Actually,i AM lazy this pase of my life....xD

sab
June 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Now that the argueing has died down a little I think that I can staate this without anyone getting really upset. after readding ALL the comments I think that most people agree on these points. 1 this is a quick way of scriptting it belongs in a different fourm but this is the fourm that suits it most closley. 2 this way will lower the quality of a hack because it is quick and doesn't require a lot of effort to make a hack this way. I am not saying that using this lowers the quality of a hack, I am saying that the easier it is to make a hack, the less effort will put into one and make it so easy that people don't need to study a lot to make a hack. 3 It is useful and can be used fine so long as people put a lot of work into the hack and don't slack off. The reason I don't make a hack is that I don't have the patience to finish it and also I haven't got a plot line. a plot line develops as a hacker learns and puts time into learning. short and simple this document in itself isn't a problem but the factor of difficulty goes down so a person can just sit down and can now make half-hearted hacks. this also goes for all the tools out there, they are useful but they can lead to lazyness.

Ray Maverick
June 18th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Ok,for your info everyone,i learned scripting this way,now i can script without this method,and can do reeeeeaaaallly big scripts,so,everyone who doubted that with this method you can't learn scripting is wrong.

BlitŻ
June 19th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I have to agree with ray.

I first started scripting, like waht, 2-3 months ago? I first started with the little stuff and such, like editing scripts.

And although this would have been helpful to me, it was posted after I could script well :P

.Seth
June 19th, 2009, 09:10 PM
This may be a method of scripting, but it doesn't actually teach anything. Well, I take that back, it does teach them how to edit scripts, but it doesn't teach them how to make scripts.

You need to teach and explain the actual commands of scripting if you want them to learn, Ray. :)

Ray Maverick
June 30th, 2009, 02:16 AM
This may be a method of scripting, but it doesn't actually teach anything. Well, I take that back, it does teach them how to edit scripts, but it doesn't teach them how to make scripts.

You need to teach and explain the actual commands of scripting if you want them to learn, Ray. :)

Did you read what i wrote just two posts up from here?I learned scripting,i can do very long scripts now.I don't edit scripts now.I create them from the scratch.Why?How?I looked all the other commands,i learned their actions,etc,and now i'm using them.

.Seth
July 1st, 2009, 02:42 AM
Did you read what i wrote just two posts up from here?I learned scripting,i can do very long scripts now.I don't edit scripts now.I create them from the scratch.Why?How?I looked all the other commands,i learned their actions,etc,and now i'm using them.

While that may be true, do you really know every use of every command?

Just because you can start off this way, doesn't mean it'll always yield scripters who can create scripts from scratch. While it may have led to you being able to create them from scratch, does it work that way for everyone?

I'm not trying to insult or criticize you as a person, I'm just saying that even though editing scripts can get you started, you'd have to learn all the commands yourself, and figure out every use for yourself. It's much easier on a hacker if he uses a tutorial that teaches him the coding, not just "edit this" and you get a new "this".

Brofaux
September 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Lol I find it funny how Ray gets pissed off so easily. How immature, these people are only giving you constructive criticism, open your eyes before your mouth.

As a starter scripter, I didn't find this helpful at all.

Pokepal17
September 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
There's nothing wrong with this way of scripting. Ray's right, it's good for beginners. If this would have been posted when I started, it would have been a lot easier for me. But for me I wrote scripts from scratch, it was like learning a language. However if I started over, I would learn this way, and the whole "the script'll be too big and overwrite something else" would help me learn about repointing and how much free space to calculate. So this a really good way to learn scripting, Well done, Ray. ;)

Ray Maverick
September 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Lol I find it funny how Ray gets pissed off so easily. How immature, these people are only giving you constructive criticism, open your eyes before your mouth.

As a starter scripter, I didn't find this helpful at all.

Oh, how nice of you.

And they gave contsrucitve critism with rude comments. Besides, if this didnt help you, don't post, i know it won't be any help to some hackers, but to me it was great help. So, think about yourself, and not me. You didnt help me improve at all with this "I didnt find this helpful".
Give at least contsructive critism. And "think before you post" to you too.

n00b

Ziwell7
September 18th, 2009, 04:50 AM
this method is very usefull for the beginners hackers, like me. i find scripting difficult. then i will try this method and in the future i try to script by myself. Thanks for the thread man

Orlando
September 26th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Nice man! Cool tut! I'm an intermediate scripter so this may come in handy!

NarutoActor
September 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM
isnt this common sence when I first started to script I would read scripts from the game a try to figure out what each one did and aplied it to my scipts, any bodey with common sence would do this, its a big base of science "trial and erra"

●•ΛΣЯӨЩ•●
September 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM
ccool down guys this is for real noobs