PDA

View Full Version : Advice for My Team?

Osiris
April 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I'm sure a lot of people ask this, but I'd appreciate any useful input nonetheless.

I am playing FireRed and would like some ideas for how to improve my team, both with moves and different Pokemon. Due to the time needed to level up I don't want to swap a level 65 Pokemon for a level 5 one that I have to spend ages working on for only a very small difference, if that makes sense. Any suggestions for items to hold are also welcome.

At the moment my main focus is being able to deal with whatever is thrown at me. I have also never really got into the "new" Pokemon (i.e. past Mew), so I don't have much idea of which of those are good. My team currently is:

Mewtwo
Moves: swift, shadow ball, psychic, earthquake
Holding: nothing (should I use twisted spoon?)

Charizard
Moves: flamethrower, fireblast, slash, hyper beam
Holding: nothing (should I use charcoal?)

Venusaur
Moves: frenzy plant, solar beam, sludge bomb, razor leaf (there must be a better grass move than this, I know I have frenzy plant and solar beam but they both take 2 turns and only have 5 PP)
Holding: quick claw (this was mostly just to make room in the bag. Should I use miracle seed?)

Alakazam
Moves: psybeam, psychic, recover, disable
Holding: nothing (twisted spoon again?)
(I know there are two psychics, but it's a powerful type, and as you can see I have branched mewtwo out a bit, so alakazam is my pure psychic)

Zapdos
Moves: thunder, thunderbolt, charge, fly
Holding: nothing (should I use magnet?)

Blastoise
Moves: surf, waterfall, blizzard, strength
Holding: nevermeltice (mostly to use against Lance)

Madaara
April 8th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I'm sure a lot of people ask this, but I'd appreciate any useful input nonetheless.

I am playing FireRed and would like some ideas for how to improve my team, both with moves and different Pokemon. Due to the time needed to level up I don't want to swap a level 65 Pokemon for a level 5 one that I have to spend ages working on for only a very small difference, if that makes sense. Any suggestions for items to hold are also welcome.

At the moment my main focus is being able to deal with whatever is thrown at me. I have also never really got into the "new" Pokemon (i.e. past Mew), so I don't have much idea of which of those are good. My team currently is:

Mewtwo
Moves: swift, shadow ball, psychic, earthquake

Charizard

Venusaur
Moves: frenzy plant, solar beam, sludge bomb, razor leaf (there must be a better grass move than this, I know I have frenzy plant and solar beam but they both take 2 turns and only have 5 PP)
Holding: quick claw (this was mostly just to make room in the bag. Should I use miracle seed?)

Alakazam
Moves: psybeam, psychic, recover, disable
(I know there are two psychics, but it's a powerful type, and as you can see I have branched mewtwo out a bit, so alakazam is my pure psychic)

Zapdos
Moves: thunder, thunderbolt, charge, fly

Blastoise
Moves: surf, waterfall, blizzard, strength

you should really post this here http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161712 (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161712)

and go to http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/ and type in the (name) moveset for ideas.

but my ideas here
Mewtwo
Moves: Ice Beam , Psychic, Recover, Thunder Bolt
Holding:Leftovers

or IceBeam, Thunderbolt, Calm Mind, Recover

Mewtwo has a ridicously high spt.atk so take advantage of that. Dont bother with physical attacks

Charizard
Moves: flamethrower,BlastBurn, slash, Sunny Day
this is the fire charzard for a well rounded one try

Flame thrower/BlastBurn, Aerial Ace/Fly, RockSlide, Earthquake/Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw

Alakazam
Moves: psychic, recover, Calm Mind, Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Thunder Punch

If you have a Mewtwo you dont need an Alakazam because Mewtwo is Alakazam on steroids

Venusaur
Moves: frenzy plant/solar beam,Leech Seed/Sleep Powder , sludge bomb, Earthquake
hold:Quick Claw( cuz he is slow)

Blastoise
Moves: surf/Hydro Cannon, Blizzard, Protect/Rapid Spin, Skull Bash
Holding: Leftovers

Zapdos
Moves: thunder ( use only if some1 you have knows Rain Dance) , thunderbolt, Drill peck,???

Osiris
April 9th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Your point on mewtwo's special attack makes sense. I did consider ice beam, as my only other ice move is blastoise's blizzard. Thunderbolt is also a good option I think. I will keep shadow ball – the purpose of that is to give me something to use against psychics (otherwise I have nothing effective against them).

I opted to teach venusaur frenzy plant instead of teaching charizard blast burn as charizard already had strong fire move, especially fire blast. It also has hyper beam, which seems fine to me. Fire blast will take out anyone weak to fire easily, and if they're not weak to fire (or resistant to normal) hyper beam is just as good as fire blast (right...?). I may replace hyper beam with sunny day, that would benefit venusaur too.

Alakazam still seems overall one of the strongest options I have, despite the fact that I already have a strong psychic in mewtwo. I do like having both, but a suggestion for a replacement is welcome.

For zapdos I have used fly instead of drill peck partly out of laziness as I don't want to have to keep going to the PC when I wish to fly somewhere.

More questions:

Any suggestions from anyone for replacements? Moltres seems stronger than charizard, and I haven't used it yet, so I could completely control its EVs. Would it be worth replacing charizard with moltres? If so, which EVs should I focus on?

Mewtwo and zapdos also have room to gain some EVs, which should I focus on for them?

Are there any other ones I should replace? Should I get a more physical pokemon, maybe a fighting one?

Madaara
April 9th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Your point on mewtwo's special attack makes sense. I did consider ice beam, as my only other ice move is blastoise's blizzard. Thunderbolt is also a good option I think. I will keep shadow ball – the purpose of that is to give me something to use against psychics (otherwise I have nothing effective against them).

I opted to teach venusaur frenzy plant instead of teaching charizard blast burn as charizard already had strong fire move, especially fire blast. It also has hyper beam, which seems fine to me. Fire blast will take out anyone weak to fire easily, and if they're not weak to fire (or resistant to normal) hyper beam is just as good as fire blast (right...?). I may replace hyper beam with sunny day, that would benefit venusaur too.

Alakazam still seems overall one of the strongest options I have, despite the fact that I already have a strong psychic in mewtwo. I do like having both, but a suggestion for a replacement is welcome.

For zapdos I have used fly instead of drill peck partly out of laziness as I don't want to have to keep going to the PC when I wish to fly somewhere.

More questions:

Any suggestions from anyone for replacements? Moltres seems stronger than charizard, and I haven't used it yet, so I could completely control its EVs. Would it be worth replacing charizard with moltres? If so, which EVs should I focus on?

Mewtwo and zapdos also have room to gain some EVs, which should I focus on for them?

Are there any other ones I should replace?

Well if you must teach Shadow Ball to Mewtwo then focus on sp.atk and atk EVS

for Zapdos spt. atk and spd evs
However in FR/LG you dont have to worry about Evs since there is no BAttle Frontier unless of course you plan on fighting other trainers (in the realworld)

Charzard is better than Moltres due to its movepool, i mean can Moltres learn dragon dance and have ok physical stats? answer-no
you can ditch Venasuar i think since the ice atks Mewtwo knows covers those types and Venasuar and he aint so good (Meganium better
i say ditch Zapdos and get a Dragon pokemon to fly you places, and dragon pokemon should cover any moves you need like fighting

Charizard
-BellyDrum
-Flamethrower
-earthuake
-Wing attack/HP Flying/ or Fly(Shudder) alternative Rest and hold a chesto berry

Osiris
April 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Losing both zapdos and venusaur leaves me vulnerable to water types though. I like having both grass and electric types as they can both be used against a variety of other pokemon. Potentially I could get a mew though and just teach it the most powerful grass and electric type moves. Would that be worth doing? I could also use dragonite for electric moves, but zapdos's electric moves are more powerful due to it being an electric type.

As for meganium, it has almost the same stats as venusaur. The only difference is the defence special attack values are switched (meganium has 100 defence and 83 special attack, venusaur has 83 defence and 100 special attack).

How does wing attack beat fly (I assume that's what you mean by the shudder :P)? It's 50% stronger. I know it takes 2 turns, but mostly that's not a huge issue as the user will be untouchable (mostly) once "flown up high" and the opponent will have already selected an action (so unable to take the opportunity to use healing items etc.).

I don't plan to compete too much, but overall my main aim is to assemble the best team I can so I can find people to battle. My brother is currently playing too and has a strong team, I would like to be able to beat it. My main strategy would be based around simply taking his pokemon down before he can take mine down, which largely means picking the right type pokemon/move to use against what he brings out.

True Reign
April 9th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Mewtwo
Moves: calm mind, light screen, psychic, recover

Charizard
Moves: flamethrower, dragon claw, seismic toss, hp grass

Venusaur
Moves: earthquake, protect, toxic, razor leaf (there must be a better grass move than this, I know I have frenzy plant and solar beam but they both take 2 turns and only have 5 PP)

Alakazam
Moves: calm mind, psychic, recover, disable

Zapdos
Moves: thundebolt, drill peck, substitute, thunderwave

Blastoise
Moves: surf, ice beam, rapid spin, skull bash
Comments are in bold red. You pretty much had horrible skills which just needed to be replaced with ones that have stradegy towards them.

I'm not that familiar with held items, so I left those out and where another person can come in and tell you what items are needed.

lolwut
April 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I really like my mewtwo:
Swift
Blizzard
Fire blast
Psychic

and im planning on replacing swift with shadow ball or thunderbolt

Osiris
April 9th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I'll definitely replace slash with dragon claw on charizard.

Calm mind for mewtwo and alakazam... is this really worth it? Surely using an extra psychic in place of calm mind would do more damage...?

Seismic toss... most decent moves (for example the fire blast my charizard knows) would do more damage as far as I can tell. By using the right type I can take out almost all of the elite four's pokemon in one move each, which certainly wouldn't be possible with seismic toss. Again, that's why I don't see much use in calm mind, or even light screen, I just take my opponent down in 1-2 moves.

What is the advantage of recover over just using a hyper or max potion?

Toxic may be worth using, I'll definitely consider that one. Earthquake also sounds good, but why lose solar beam/frenzy plant? With your suggestions for venusaur the most powerful move of its type is razor leaf, which really isn't particularly strong. I'd have thought it more useful to take advantage of leaf/poison moves.

Ice beam may be better than blizzard for blastoise... I'll probably change that. But rapid spin is a very weak move that is not, in my opinion, made up for by its effect-removal. Strength is only 20% less powerful than skull bash but doesn't take two turns, effectively allowing 60% more damage to be done over the same period.

I think if battles lasted longer, some of these options like light screen, substitute etc. would be better, but if you can take them down in one or two moves, status effects don't do much either way.

Feel free to tell me where I'm going wrong here.

shanecdavis
April 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Yikes. You have made some common mistakes with the construction of your team. Others have given a little helpful advise, but let's see what we can do here. There are a few general rules you need to think about when you are constructing your team:

* NEVER give a Pokemon two attacking moves of the same type. Take Alakazam for instance. When would Psybeam over Psychic ever be a good idea? Never. All you have done is prevent Alakazam from having another move that would make it more versatile.

* NEVER use crappy two-turn moves like Solarbeam or Fly. They just aren't worth it. Compare Aerial Ace and Fly. Even though Fly is 70 AP and Aerial Ace is 60 AP, you can attack twice in two turns with it while only being able to attack one in two turns with Fly. Simple math tells us that 60 + 60 = 120 while 70 + 0 = 70.

* NEVER use those crappy hold items (Twisted Spoon or Charcoal) that only increase one type attack by a measly 10%. Also avoid items like Quick Claw that also only give you a 10% chance of something happening. Those are just bad odds. Unless your Pokemon only has attack moves of the same type, which would be stupid, any time you attack without that move it is like your Pokemon isn't holding anything at all. Not efficient and certainly not helpful. It is much better to use items like Leftovers or Choice Band or Shell Bell, or items that work no matter what the scenario. Even berries would be more effective.

* ALWAYS pay attention to the nature of your Pokemon. The wrong nature can turn a good Pokemon into a smoldering piece of crap. Adamant Alakazam fails. Not only does a moveset depend on the nature of a Pokemon, but the EV spread does too.

* Always make sure that your team has at least one of the following: physical attacker, special attacker, and defensive wall. Also make sure at least one Pokemon on your team knows Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Earthquake.

As for your team, fixes and suggestions in bold:

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
EVs: 144 HP / 144 SAtk / 220 Spd
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Recover/Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt

If you are using Mewtwo, you really don't need any other Pokemon. It is the cheapest Pokemon in the game. At any rate, don't bother putting any physical attacks on it. While its base Atk is a strong 110, its base SAtk is a ridiculous 154. Mewtwo can actually do more damage to a Psychic-type with either Ice Beam or Thunderbolt than with a Super Effective Shadow Ball.

Personally, I would get rid of this cat and go with a different Pokemon that is also one of the best in the game:

Snorlax @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 36 Atk / 136 Def / 176 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Curse/Earthquake
- Rest
- Shadow Ball

This is a complete beast. While I highly suggest Curse, it takes breeding with Slowbro, but it is DEFINITELY worth it, as it increases both Atk and Def by one stage. Although in-game battles don't last nearly as long so some don't have the patience to bother with it. Body Slam is a STAB move and Shadow Ball wipes the floor with Ghosts and Psychics, which neither can do much to it because of its high HP and SDef stats. Rest cures all lost HP and removes status for free.

Charizard

Meh. Fire-types are horribly over-rated. Their weaknesses far outweigh their strengths. Personally I would get rid of Charizard and replace it with a decent Flying-type in Dragonite. More powerful and much better typing:

Dragonite @ Shell Bell/Lum Berry
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 52 HP / 206 Atk / 108 SAtk / 144 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Aerial Ace
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Brick Break/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

Dragonite is a terrific physical attacker. Dragon Dance raises its Atk and Spd by one level. Aerial Ace for STAB, Earthquake for obvious reasons, and the last slot is your preference, although Brick Break gets the DD bonus.

Venusaur @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 204 HP / 160 Atk / 68 Def / 56 SAtk / 20 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Leech Seed/Razor Leaf
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

This is what you want from Venusaur. Leech Seed is much better than Razor Leaf, but against the pathetic in-game AI you just might find Razor Leaf more effective. Sleep moves are great to use against the AI since they won't ever switch. Put your opponent to sleep and then switch in a Pokemon that can easily defeat it. Almost too easy. Sludge Bomb is the physical STAB and Synthesis is free HP recovery.

Alakazam @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind/Fire Punch
- Ice Punch/Fire Punch
- Psychic
- Thunderpunch

Not sure why you would have a team with both Mewtwo and Alakazam. Pretty redundant, but with the uber powerful cat replaced, Alakazam becomes your special attacker extraordinaire. This moveset takes breeding work with Hitmonchan, but it is VERY worth it. Calm Mind is your choice, although using it increases its SAtk and SDef by one level, making it pretty Mewtwo-like, without the cheapness.

Zapdos @ Leftovers/White Herb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 60 HP / 76 Def / 96 SAtk / 116 SDef / 144 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Drill Peck
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

While Zapdos is a legendary, it isn't an uber powerful one. It is a bit risky having 3 Pokemon weak to Ice attacks, but with two Pokemon being very strong against Ice attacks, not to mention playing against the crappy AI, you should be just fine. Drill Peck is MUCH better than Fly and Thunderbolt is more reliable than Thunder. Light Screen is a big help to your team and Thunder Wave is great to use against a weakness before switching out to a different Pokemon, since Zapdos will typically go first. Speaking of first, this should be your lead Pokemon.

Blastoise @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 216 HP / 148 Def / 108 SAtk / 36 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Rest/Earthquake
- Surf
- Toxic

While Blastoise is a good Pokemon, and this would be the moveset I would suggest if you insist on using it, I would suggest using Vaporeon instead:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 222 HP / 176 Def / 16 SAtk / 96 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Baton Pass/Ice Beam/Protect
- Substitute
- Surf
- Wish/Ice Beam

Vaporeon is a great utility Pokemon. The strategy here is to put up one of the strongest Subs in the game and then either Baton Pass to another Pokemon. That will leave the strong Sub up and allow you to sweep the field with either your physical or special attacker. Imagine switching to Snorlax, Dragonite, or Alakazam and letting them power up behind a strong Sub. You can also use Wish and then switch to a different Pokemon for some free HP recovery. It requires breeding though, passing it from Togetic then to Pikachu and then to Eevee, so I will let you decide if that is worth it. It definitely is for competitive battling, but you might not find it as useful in-game since you can just use items. If that doesn't work for you, Ice Beam or even Protect are great alternatives.
My suggestions are mainly aimed at making you better at constructing teams rather than just defeating the easy in-game storyline. Once you get into DPP, you can begin battling other people, where this strategy will really come in handy. Or you can just make rules to your in-game game play to make it more of a challenge. Here are some of the things I do to try to make playing against the AI somewhat difficult:

* In Options, change the Battle Style to 'Set'. This prevents you from being able to switch Pokemon once you faint an opponent. If you think about it, that is really cheap since your AI opponent isn't afforded the same opportunity. You also cannot do that in a real battle, so why handicap yourself now?

* Do not allow the use of items during battle. No Potions, no Revives, no Poke Flute. NOTHING. Again, you aren't allowed to do this in a competitive battle, and is just another option that makes beating the AI too easy.

* Do not allow your Pokemon to level up higher than the strongest Pokemon of the next gym. Yet another cheapness factor where you can use a Lv70 Pokemon to slaughter any Pokemon you will find in the game. Here is the following chart for FRLG:

1st Badge - Lv14
2nd Badge - Lv21
3rd Badge - Lv24
4th Badge - Lv29
5th Badge - Lv43
6th Badge - Lv43
7th Badge - Lv47
8th Badge - Lv50
"elite" 4 (first run) - Lv63
"elite" 4 (second run) - Lv75

Personally, I go to the extreme and don't let my Pokemon level up higher than the WEAKEST Pokemon of the next gym, but that is just me.

Well, that is all I have to offer. Good luck.

Charmeleon>charizard
April 11th, 2009, 01:10 AM
You have too many legendaries in my opinion. im just not into using overpowered legendaries so i use one (90% of the time 0) when i play. thats just me though, i know alot of people like em. i suggest getting a fighter in there. one of the hitmons. hitmontop preferably because he can be used in so many situations while lee and chan are more offensive.