PDA

View Full Version : Stat-enhancers

Osiris
April 7th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Is it more effective to use them at a higher level, or not? For example, say you have a level 10 squirtle. If you use protein (or any other stat-enhancer), then level it up to a level 80 blastoise, will it have the same stats as if you trained it up to a level 80 blastoise then used the protein?

True Reign
April 7th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Yes.

I would rather EV train than use those enchancers since they cost so much.

Osiris
April 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah but I already have some that you just find around, I was wondering whether to use them now or wait till I'm a higher level, in case they have greater effect then.

So just use now?

wolf
April 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM
They higher their EVs by 10 in one stat. You can only use 10 of them for one stat, so if you give them 10 of them, it will give 100 EVs. EX: Give 10 Proteins to a Charmander, then its Attack EVs will be 100. I suggest start using them before you battle anything (Pokemon give off EVs), the level doesn't matter though if you raised it by Rare Candies or Day Care.

Osiris
April 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I haven't used rare candies or day care. Is there any point in using them? Is there any effect to raising levels that way at all, except to evolve Pokemon to fill the Pokedex?

BenjiTheKid
April 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I don't recommend using the daycare, personally. Some people use the daycare to raise the levels of Pokemon that they plan on using in battle; however, I would never do it. The Pokemon doesn't like you as much, the moveset isn't picked by you (do they even change it at all in the daycare?? I can't remember) and it's hard to know when the Pokemon is at the level you want. All that and, it costs you money. However, rare candies are convienient if you're working on training multiple Pokemon at one time and you don't have the time to train them all.

As for your stat question, I really can't help you. When I find Protein, Iron and other such things, I sell them. C'mon, it's a quick 4,900! Why use them, I say. :] I imagine they can be helpful. But, meh, I've never used them at all.

Madaara
April 8th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Is it more effective to use them at a higher level, or not? For example, say you have a level 10 squirtle. If you use protein (or any other stat-enhancer), then level it up to a level 80 blastoise, will it have the same stats as if you trained it up to a level 80 blastoise then used the protein?

It is always best to raise a pokemons EV as high as you possibly can when it is at its lowest lvl. Here is the rationale:

a-Squirtle maxed out EVs in atk and sp.atk at lv.15

b-Squirtle had is Evs maxed in lv 99 in atk and sp.atk

NOw tell me when both pokemon have reached level 100 who do you think will have the higher stats in sp.atk and atk? A of course because he enjoyed the benefits of higher EVs longer.

I haven't used rare candies or day care. Is there any point in using them? Is there any effect to raising levels that way at all, except to evolve Pokemon to fill the Pokedex?

Well using a rare candy on a pokemon after it has been fully EV trained, is a good thing because it raises to another level faster, but here is another illustration

a-squirtle has maxed out his EVs and haas been rare candied up to 100

b- squirtle freshly hatched or caught has been rare candied up to 100

c-squirtle has battled up to lv 100

The end result squirtle a and c will have higher stats than squirtle b. Squirtle will probably be the strogest one though.

DAYCARE
there is a big point in using them and that is called BREEDING. also if a pokemon takes awhile to evolve like Aggron or Trapinch just stick the pokemon there and forget about it.
The Daycare will let the pokemon learn moves as it levels up and will allow it to forget the first move BUT NOT HMs and the DAYCARE does NOT evolve pokemon, you have to do that yourself.

Osiris
April 8th, 2009, 03:54 AM
How can I know when EVs are maxed out?

Also, according to what I just read, a caterpie (for example) give one EV in HP. Could I just go to somewhere with level 5 caterpies and keep beating them for 1 EV each time, or does the level of the pokemon you fight affect it?

Lastly, how is the best way to determine which EV to get for your pokemon? I assume with alakazam, for example, if it only knows psychic attacks there is no point in increasing its attack.

DiasIzn
April 8th, 2009, 04:12 AM
ev training is much more cost effective that stat enhancers. so ev trainging is better. but to answer the question: yes.

shanecdavis
April 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hmmm. There is some information being offered in this thread that isn't exactly correct. Here are some facts:

* The only way you can use vitamins on a higher level Pokemon is if you used Rare Candies/Daycare Center to level it up instead of battling. Vitamins can only be used on a Pokemon until it has earned 100 points in a particular stat. It is safe to assume that a high-level Pokemon will have earned at least that much by that time.

* Leveling up a Pokemon in the Daycare Center is just fine. There is no real drawback to it. It is a cheaper alternative to Rare Candy, but it takes MUCH longer, and the moveset can get messed up. Personally, I don't use it. Rare Candies are a much better option, and through item farming I can get an endless supply of them. It also allows me to control the moveset, which is the most important to me.

* The only difference between feeding vitamins to a Pokemon and just battling is you accrue EV points faster. It takes 10 battles against a Pokemon that awards 1 EV point, 5 battles with one that awards 2 EV points, and 4 battles with one that awards 3 EV points, to equal one vitamin.

* There is also absolutely no difference in a Pokemon's Lv100 stats if you feed it vitamins or if you just level up through battling. The benefit of using vitamins is that you have greater control of where your EV points are being distributed.

* Unfortunately, there is no way in the game to track EVs. That has to be done manually. Personally, I use a spreadsheet. There is a way to tell when your Pokemon has maxed out its EVs though. If you know where the Energy Guru is in Slateport, there is a lady right next to him that will give your Pokemon an Effort Ribbon once it has achieved 510 EV points.

* EVERY Pokemon in the game has a predetermined EV stat that it will increase once you battle it, and it has nothing to do with level. A Lv100 Caterpie will still award your Pokemon 1 HP EV point.

* The only way to determine what EV spread you should use for your Pokemon depends really on the Pokemon itself, primarily its nature and moveset. In your example, it would not be smart to add any Atk EVs to Alakazam, as they would be a complete waste. On the other hand, it is VITAL that you max out the Def EVs of a Pokemon like Chansey or Milotic, due to their base stats and in Milotic's case, its Trait. Mainly it is through experience and seeking help from others that will allow you to get a good handle on EV spreads.

Good luck.

Osiris
April 9th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Thank you all for your help.

What would really be appreciated is if you could look at my other thread ("Advice for My Team?") in this forum and give your opinions on which EVs I should focus on for each member of the team. As all of them (except mewtwo and zapdos) have been leveled up from low levels purely through battling, I assume they are mostly maxed out on EVs, but some may be replaced. For example, it appears it may be worth my replacing my charizard with moltres, but I'm looking for advice on that.

I'd post a link to my thread but I'm not allowed to, but it's easy to find. It's in the same sub-forum as this one.