Palette Hacking Tutorial
By HFI

What You need

~ Advance Map
~ MS Paint
~ The Attention Span to read this tutorial

Hacking The Palette's

Open Up Advance Map and go to the Block Editor
(For those who Don't know what the block here it is http://i39.tinypic.com/2vmcxgo_th.png (http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vmcxgo&s=5))
http://i43.tinypic.com/v4743b.png

First pick what Palette's your using
(Example: Tree Palette is Palette 02)
then go to Palettes>Palette Editor
http://i39.tinypic.com/r8huoo.png

3. VERY IMPORTANT
Now open Up MS Paint Colors>Edit Colors And then On the Rainbow sheet choose the colors you want. Now you may notice on the MS paint Rainbow sheet when you choose the color it has a RED/GREEN/BLUE offset that is what were going to change the palettes too. (Tip: To Get A Darker Or Lighter shade of that color Move Up or Down On the Rectangle color sheet with the arrow on it)
In the palette editor you will see that you can change the red/green/blue by moving it left or right and the number will go higher or lower. On the Pallete Editor we are going to make it the same color as the custom palette we are using. Now we cannot make it exactly the same but you want to make it as close as possible to pallete you chose on MS PAINT.
http://i42.tinypic.com/son4v9.png

Now in Advance map close the Palette Editor and go back to the Block Editor then got to
Palette>Write Palette Changes to ROM
And then It should be inserted

Now try to test it out open up your emulator and see if it works
http://i44.tinypic.com/k39on6.png

Please Feel free to post question, comments or just some C+C
~HFI

Tropical Sunlight
April 10th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Nice tutorial, this will prevent people from editing the palletes with APE...

Chibi Robo
April 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Nice tutorial, this will prevent people from editing the palletes with APE...
Thanks Watermelon I tried to explain it as detailed as possible with informational screenshots!

colcolstyles
April 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM
This is nice. Nothing new to me but this is something I use pretty much every time I use AdvanceMap. This way newer hackers won't have to figure this out on their own (it took me a while to figure out that you had to press Write Change to ROM^^).
Here's a suggestion: you might want to include a "before-and-after" section at the end instead of just an "after" section. That way the changes will be more noticeable. Also, I would recommend pressing "Write Current Palette to File" before changing things so you have a backup of the original palette.
Anyways, good tutorial! :cer_smile:

dragon070809
April 11th, 2009, 05:33 AM
i cant click on show content on ya tut it dont do owt help me

Chibi Robo
April 11th, 2009, 06:13 AM
i cant click on show content on ya tut it dont do owt help me
First of all can you fix the spelling errors on your post dont want to make it difficult for somebody to read it now do we?
Ok I dont know why maybe its the fact that you need fifteen posts ask a moderator about this they might tell you how to fix it.

dragon070809
April 11th, 2009, 06:18 AM
First of all can you fix the spelling errors on your post dont want to make it difficult for somebody to read it now do we?
Ok I dont know why maybe its the fact that you need fifteen posts ask a moderator about this they might tell you how to fix it. sorry
'I cant click on show content on the tutorial it don't do anything help me'

Banjora Marxvile
April 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM
sorry
'I cant click on show content on the tutorial it don't do anything help me'

This isn't really a necessary post, as this is a problem that will hopefully soon be fixed. Anyway, you shouldn't need pictures (which are in the Show Content) to help you, he's described it well (A 5 star Tutorial HFI!)

RedYoshi
April 11th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Quite simple, but it shows how much "originality" can be added to you hack by just changing the palletes. Great tutorial HFI.

Note: Pallete 0 in the block editor is the pallete for trees in FireRed

Chibi Robo
April 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM
This isn't really a necessary post, as this is a problem that will hopefully soon be fixed. Anyway, you shouldn't need pictures (which are in the Show Content) to help you, he's described it well (A 5 star Tutorial HFI!)
Thanks Marx
I think I could've been a bit more detailed with more screenies

Quite simple, but it shows how much "originality" can be added to you hack by just changing the palletes. Great tutorial HFI.

Note: Pallete 0 in the block editor is the pallete for trees in FireRed
I was using ruby so that is pallete 02 Im going to add that in thanks RedYoshi for the comment ^^

My Cyndaquil is on Fire!
April 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM
This is much more effective then hackmews advance pallete editor tutorial

Surf
April 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM
This is much more effective then hackmews advance pallete editor tutorial

Hackmew's tutorial is meant to be for palette editing ANYTHING in the rom.

mattattack
April 18th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Wow this is a really helpful tutorial for newbies. Helps in many ways including tile editing

Scithyre
April 19th, 2009, 09:33 AM
How come I don't have the "Pallettes" option on the Block Editor?

Chibi Robo
May 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM
How come I don't have the "Pallettes" option on the Block Editor?
Hmmmm I dont know do you have the newest version of Advance Map?

notbob
May 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
This was awesome. Hey, do you know how to world map hack?

Mana
May 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Nice Tutorial, though perhaps a before and after screenshot would be nice :)

Chibi Robo
May 17th, 2009, 06:37 AM
This was awesome. Hey, do you know how to world map hack?
There are a few tutorials on it here at pc

Nice Tutorial, though perhaps a before and after screenshot would be nice :)
Thanks (I didn't feel like putting a before because all of you guys know how ugly the ruby tree palette's are

notbob
May 18th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Yeah, but they suck. None of them worked for me.

Cheesymitten
May 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
This is what i call a good tutorial.
Great work.
Really helpful, and easy to understand ;)

Banjora Marxvile
May 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Thanks (I didn't feel like putting a before because all of you guys know how ugly the ruby tree palette's are

Nothing wrong with the Ruby's trees in my opinion... Anyway, it is very clear. Like it, HFI.

Chibi Robo
May 18th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah, but they suck. None of them worked for me.
Try them a few times they evantualy started working for me (And if it doesn't go to youtube and type in "Pokemon how to hack word map" and see if you find a result)
Thanks for the comments marx and cheesymitten
(The point of the tutorial is so people understand it so it has to be clear if its considered a tutorial)

TheDarkAngel
May 19th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks this was really helpful :D

Chibi Robo
May 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks this was really helpful :D
Your welcome I try my best

HackMew
May 25th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Honestly, the title of this tutorial is misleading. Better change it: this is not palette hacking, this is merely map palette hacking through AM. Clearly different. You might consider improving the explanation as well. BTW, I prefer using APE for such job because I have more control over the colors and I feel more confortable than with AM where I need to choose the R/G/B values which is kinda time-wasting for me.

Chibi Robo
May 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Honestly, the title of this tutorial is misleading. Better change it: this is not palette hacking, this is merely map palette hacking through AM. Clearly different. You might consider improving the explanation as well. BTW, I prefer using APE for such job because I have more control over the colors and I feel more confortable than with AM where I need to choose the R/G/B values which is kinda time-wasting for me.
Yeah I guess it is misleading
Ive tried editing palletes in AM (Crashes everytime I try)
This is much easier for me cause Im a spriter and we spriter are used to rbg values
(BTW I guessed that you prefered AM because you made it
If I made a hacking tool too I would like it also cause I would know all the tricks and how it works)

Sweet Jasmine
May 26th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Well this is nice ^_^.. But it needs more information :3.. but sure it helps Newbie ^_^. Well good work * laughs *..

-Yasumin

HackMew
May 26th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Yeah I guess it is misleading
Ive tried editing palletes in AM (Crashes everytime I try)
This is much easier for me cause Im a spriter and we spriter are used to rbg values
(BTW I guessed that you prefered AM because you made it
If I made a hacking tool too I would like it also cause I would know all the tricks and how it works)

What? I didn't make AM :P

Ooka
May 26th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I think he meant APE when he said AM. :P

Edited. I did the same thing. :/

HackMew
May 26th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I think he meant XSE when he said AM. :P

I higlhy doubt that, since XSE is not a palette editor LOL. Let's end the OT now.

Ooka
May 26th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Yeah, I edited my last post. :/

Anyways, nice tutorial. I actually had never found that feature before, so I'm glad you pointed it out.

Chibi Robo
May 26th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I higlhy doubt that, since XSE is not a palette editor LOL. Let's end the OT now.
Sorry I meant to say APE
(Why would I say XSE?)
Sorry for the confusion

Thanks for the comments guys!

kaka1918
August 9th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I like your tutorial then I will
translate it for my forum with the right
author of course