• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What is the best dragon or steel pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zacch2

Awesome Trainer
Years
Well i would say dragonite, metagross, or salamance, because they are on my team, but what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
Years
Metagross for sure.

Dragon... I'd say Flygon or Salamence.

Aggron/Metagross and Flygon/Salamence

It has to be either Salamance/Metagross or Flygon/Aggron. <3
Flygon and Aggron aren't contenders for strongest steel or dragon.
f l y g o n
It's in the OU Tier in the Advanced Generation, but is it the best? Well, let me evaluate. I say that Salamence outclasses Flygon in this tier. Both are very good dragon Pokemon, but Salamence is overall better.
Flygon's Stats:
HP: 80
Attack: 100
Defense: 80
Special Attack: 80
Special Defense: 80
Speed: 100
Salamence's Stats:
HP: 95
Attack: 135
Defense: 80
Special Attack: 110
Special Defense: 80
Speed: 100
None of Flygon's stats are larger than Salamence's, whereas Salamence outclasses Flygon in HP, Attack, and Special Attack. This gives Salamence the upper hand in bulkiness (even though it's marginal) and both of its offenses. Salamence is extremely versatile because it is able to Attack with both offenses with great power; Flygon is quite predictable with not many options at its grasp, with most variants being of Choice Band.

Salamence hits extremely hard with a 135 (most of the time boosted) Attack stat. If it gets in 2 Dragon Dances or so, it's gonna take a lot to stop it. Flygon can't pull this off as well with a smaller attack stat and being a bit more fragile and vulnerable.
Flygon's Weaknesses: x4 Ice, x2 Dragon
Flygon's Resistances: x0 Electric, x0 Ground, x0.5 Fire, x0.5 Rock, x0.5 Poison

Salamence's Weaknesses: x4 Ice, x2 Dragon, x2 Rock
Salamence's Resistances: x0 Ground, x0.25 Grass, x0.5 Water, x0.5 Fire, x0.5 Bug, x0.5 Fighting
Flygon may have the upper hand when it comes to weaknesses, but Salamence surely outclasses Flygon when it comes to resistances. Salamence may only have one more resistance, but it's resisted move types are much more common. Come on, it's not every day your opponent uses a Poison move on you! Salamence also gets a little more bulk with 95 HP, so that should help it live a little longer.

a g g r o n
I'll stand by my opinion that Metagross is far superior to Aggron in terms of power and strength. There is a reason why Metagross is in OU and Aggron is in UU. I'll get us started by taking a peek at their statistics first.
Aggron's Stats:
HP: 70
Attack: 110
Defense: 180
Special Attack: 60
Special Defense: 60
Speed: 50

Metagross's Stats:
HP: 80
Attack: 135
Defense: 130
Special Attack: 95
Special Defense: 90
Speed: 70
Whoa there, there's quite a big difference between the two. You have to admit, Aggron's special defenses just suck. It has no speed to save it from the nightmare either. Low HP, terrible special defense, and a lot of common specially-typed weaknesses aren't helping it at all. We'll get into weaknesses later. You'll notice an impressive 180 defense stat, however. But is it enough? I'm questioning it's usefulness right now. A majority of Aggron's lack of potential has to do with it's typing. Aggron, with no boosted offenses, can't hit very hard on it's own. It is easy to wall, set-up on, and stall out, giving the opponent a big opportunity to win.

Metagross, on the other hand, has an impressive 135 attack stat, with especially durable defenses (both physically and specially) too. What a great combination! A balance in offense and defense make up to a great tank Pokemon. It has an interesting movepool with Explosion, Pursuit, etc. Okay, onto weaknesses / resistances:
Aggron's Weaknesses: x4 Fighting, x4 Ground, x2 Water
Aggron's Resistances: x0 Poison, x0.25 Normal, x0.25 Flying, x0.5 Ice, x0.5 Psychic, x0.5 Ghost, x0.5 Dark, x0.5 Dragon, x0.5 Rock

Metagross's Weaknesses: x2 Fire, x2 Ground
Metagross's Resistances: x0 Poison, x0.25 Psychic, x0.5 Normal, x0.5 Grass, x0.5 Ice, x0.5 Flying, x0.5 Rock, x0.5 Dragon, x0.5 Steel
Metagross and Aggron both have a number of resistances. However, it's the weaknessess that hinders Aggron's ability greatly. Weaknesses to some of the most common types in the metagame aren't helping Aggron at all (especially when they are x4, with one x2 weakness on the special side). Even with 180 Defense, Aggron dies easily to a harsh blow from fighting or ground type moves. Take my word for it, I've battled Aggron before and not even it's 180 Defense can take x4 hits. Needs better HP too.

Metagross has a much better typing over all. Two common weaknesses, only two, doesn't hinder it that much. At least it's not a damaging x4 weakness like Aggron. Metagross's high attack stat allows it to deal damage, while it's defense stats and the number of resistances allow it to take hits very well. It's a strong and durable tank for the OU environment.

So overall, Salamence and Metagross win it for the strongest Dragon / Steel type in the Advanced Generation. Rayquaza wins the prize for toughest dragon if we include ubers.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
  • Age 52
  • Utah
  • Seen Jul 27, 2010
There is no question that Rayquaza is the best Dragon-type. Not even close.

Best Steel-type goes to Skarmory. Not as offensive as Metagross, but has a much better typing and is much stronger defensively.

sambo626

Pokemon Breeder/EV Trainer
Years
Personally, I think Metagross is definitely the best steel type and Dragonite whips salamance any day.

Azonic

hello friends
Years
Dragonite whips salamance any day.
Nope. In a head on match with Dragonite vs. Salamence, it comes down to speed. I'm pretty sure they both OHKO eachother with supereffective moves, so speed is the final factor it comes down to. Salamence has an advantage with 100 speed over Dragonite's 80, so Salamence will go first and OHKO Dragonite before it has a chance to attack.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
Years
I personally love steelix. I am not to knowledgable about stats, but I think its defense is just killer.

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
Years
  • Age 34
  • US
  • Seen Feb 15, 2013
Metagross/ and well since shanecdavis pulls another good point as always salamence is no match against the uber and most powerful dragon rayquaza.

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
Years
  • Age 34
  • US
  • Seen Feb 15, 2013
oh come on even a dragonite with ice beam cant kill a rayquaza just because of speed rayquaza is unbeatable of course he is a legendary but zacch2 never mentioned what was limited which shanecdavis realised and of course rayquaza. No offense to anyone but a dragonite would lose in a battle between rayquaza.

The Red Chain

oh come on even a dragonite with ice beam cant kill a rayquaza just because of speed rayquaza is unbeatable of course he is a legendary but zacch2 never mentioned what was limited which shanecdavis realised and of course rayquaza. No offense to anyone but a dragonite would lose in a battle between rayquaza.

Salamence would mop the floor with Rayquaza.. Outspeeding can be a nasty thing.
But yes, of course Dragonite's Ice Beam [1st usage] wouldn't kill Rayquaza, only reason is because Dragonite is a physical Pokemon, and Ice Beam is a special move.

Dragonite is bulkier than Rayquaza, so chances are it could survive an attack thrown at it on the first turn, then wipe out Rayquaza with a single Dragon Claw.
I don't have a damage calculator, so I can't tell you precisely if it would go just like that.. but it would definitely be similar.

Edit ; Calculated it. Turns out if Rayquaza ends up using a move like Dragon Claw and it doesn't hit a critical Dragonite will survive it.
Then if you put a move such as Outrage on Dragonite and use it, Rayquaza will faint, even without a critical.
But I do admit if Rayquaza does Outrage as well before Dragonite, there is no doubt in my mind Dragonite would faint.
So this argument between whichever dragon is better is pretty much even sided.

Last edited:

Zacch2

Awesome Trainer
Years
I think Dragonite would beat Raquaza, seeing that Raquaza is fast, but cant hit as hard as Dragonite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back