PDA

View Full Version : Which Computer do you use?

yourpokemonforum
April 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Edit: People complained about the title, I will change it to "Which system do you use".

Mac versions include OS X, Lepord, and some more. I do not know the linux versions...
Which computer do you use?

The computer I use is Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 3

My Computer

But soon, it will be 360GB of space, and 8GB of Memory since my dad is upgrading the PC...

.inLOVE
May 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I use a Windows computer, not actually sure which one XD

Blue_Drifblim
May 5th, 2009, 04:28 PM
For now, Windows XP is the one for me.

Wulf
May 5th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Depends which computer I'm on. One has Vista the other has XP.

zerwey
May 5th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I think Windows XP is the simplest to use. Sometimes it's even faster, but it depends from computer to computer (processing speed, etc.).

pokerus34
May 5th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Both XP on my PC and Laptop! :)

P.S.

deliriouspurple
May 6th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Well windows XP! no other else.

Cassino
May 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Desktop — Windows XP Home Edition (I'd rather Pro but a recycled Home is all I have money for)
Laptop — Puppy Linux 4 'Dingo' (still haven't installed it because I lost the disk I made D:)
Ruggedised laptop — Windows 98

You should've made this poll multiple choice and included specific Linux and Macintosh versions.

Gerri Shin
May 6th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I use Mac OS X 10.5 as my main OS, I do have Windows 7, Windows 98, Windows XP, and Windows Vista available for use from within a virtual machine though.

twocows
May 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I think you meant "what operating system do you use." Windows XP on my old desktop, a stripped-down Windows XP on my ancient desktop, Windows XP and Fedora 10 dual-boot on my main desktop, and Windows Vista and Fedora 11 preview dual-boot on my laptop. I also have XP and Windows 7 in VirtualBox on my laptop.

Cherrim
May 7th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Lol I clicked in here expecting to end up ranting about my crappy HP laptop and end up talking about operating systems instead. Okay then.

On my "main" laptop (said crappy HP one) I use Vista Home Premium. <3 Vista. Unfortunately I don't get much of a chance to use it considering the wireless card on it works sporadically and since there's not much to do these days without the internet, it just kinda sits there.

My netbook is loaded with Windows XP and while I'm not a huge fan of the OS anymore, it does the job. I'm considering putting Linux on it but I wanna wait until my main computer has stable internet before I fiddle with my only computer that gets me online whenever I want. :( If it's out of commission I'm stuck using the shared family desktops which are riddled with viruses and the like. sigh. Oh well.

Sammi
May 7th, 2009, 08:14 AM
My computer has Windows Vista Home Premium. I've never had issues with it, so I like it. :D

I don't know if I could live without my sidebar anymore. I love the note feature, and the weather's handy to have.

Gold warehouse
May 7th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Windows XP Pro. My dad offered to get Vista for me, but I declined. I'm happy with XP and I don't really need Vista, it would probably be a lot of hassle aswell.

Rukario
May 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM
XP Pro (home on laptop) on all my personal/workstation computers.. (dual boot to Ubuntu Linux on the main one.) and RHEL5 on my servers.

Amaruuk
May 7th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I've got Vista Home Premium on my main laptop, XP on my clunky 7-year-old 'emergency' laptop, and am planning to get a nice new Mac desktop this summer if I save up enough in time.

Alpha de Splash
May 7th, 2009, 09:55 AM
i use my Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty desktop for the most part. i also have an XP and Mac OS 9 PPC, which refuses to upgrade to 10.1

Cham
May 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I use an Imac. I was skeptical at first, but my friend insisted that I buy one when looking for a new computer so I did. One of the best purchases I've made so far.

extramaster
May 9th, 2009, 10:39 PM
If an ipod touch counted as a computer then I use 2 types of computer:
Windows xp service pack 3 &
Ipod touch version 2.2.1

matt561
May 10th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I use Vista home premium on my laptop and windows mobile on my blackberry

as2
May 10th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Main Desktop: Ubuntu 9.04 dualbooting with Windows 7 RC
Server 1: Windows Server 2008
Server 2: Debian 5 (for running VMware Server)
Netbook: Ubuntu 9.04 Netboot Remix

Saud-Blaziken
May 10th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I use Mac OS X

Virtual Chatot
May 10th, 2009, 04:34 AM
OS X 10.5.6 on my Mac Mini
Ubuntu 8.10 on my netbook ( still need to upgrade...I know )
Windows Vista Ultimate on my Dell 1525 Inspiron Laptop

Looking into getting an OpenSolaris machine, too.

EmeraldSky
May 10th, 2009, 04:43 AM
HP Pavilion a257c armed with Windows XP Home.

Mr.Kirby
May 10th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I'm running on Mac OS X on my iBook. Though I should be getting a new laptop next year or so. :> Not sure about what that will be though.

Malice.
May 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM
x64 Vista Home Premium is loaded on my primary desktop and my laptop coming this week <3.

I have Windows 7 dual-booted on my primary desktop.

I put my old desktop on a recycled version of Vista Ultimate when the XP crashed on it.

DMNT
May 10th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I've got Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard on my iMac G5, Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger on my iMac G3, Mac OS X v10.3 Panther on my iBook G3 (clamshell), and Windows XP on my Dell OptiPlex GX100.

Felly
May 10th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I use Windows XP on my laptop. & that's it.

Tsugaru
May 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Depends which PC I'm on. x3

Mac 10.5.6 on my iMac, Windows Vista Home Prem on main PC which is Dual booted with Windows 7.

unleashed117
May 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I'm using Windows XP Professional SP 3, it's the best Windows in my opinion...
oh, and i forgot, i use Linux as second OS, too :P

BHwolfgang
May 11th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I don't really know what an iBook is, but I'm sure that it's a Mac. ^^'

Evilyn
May 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I've got Windows XP on all my computers.

Mumei
May 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Vista. Mostly cause that's what came with it and what I'm most used to.

Mac annoys me for some reason. That's what they have at school, though.

Gummy
May 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I'm currently using Windows XP on my desktop. When I get my laptop I'd like for it to be Windows XP, but chances are all the ones at the store will be Windows Vista.

ShadowLeader
May 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM
windows xp hoping to upgrade when i get the chance though..

CharizardCharz
May 16th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC dualboot on the same computer

MindTrip
May 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Fedora 10 for the win. Can't wait for Fedora 11. :D

Ŧøry vs. M£A†¥³
May 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Why isn't there's a multi-option? When I first read the title of the thread. I was assuming name brand computers like HP, IBM, Toshiba, etc., but this thread came up as operating systems. I have Windows XP Server Pack 3. The best operating system I have ever used so far is Windows Vista.

EDIT: MarsOperaPhantom: They do still sell XP computers. The new computers powered by Windows XP will have a sticker note: Designed for Windows XP - Windows Vista Capable, just like mine does. Who ever told you that they don't sell computers powered by Windows XP is wrong.

Archer
May 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM
This is really annoying me, seeing the thread with the wrong name. Zet, if you see this, please change the name. =/

I run Ubuntu 8.10 (I'll upgrade soon) as my main OS with Windows XP SP3 on Dual-boot for when I need to run a Windows application.
I have every intention of getting the Windows 7 RC, I just need to get it somehow - slow internet and a poor download limit.

Teh Blue Charzerd
May 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM
the computer i use is Windows Vista Home Premium

seeker
May 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Running On Vista it gets annoying at times but you get used to it.
It's damn well better than XP anyway!!
Never used mac though i'd love to...

Morkula
May 24th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I use Windows Vista Ultimate on my laptop. Except for a few little quirks, I really like Vista and don't see what the big fuss is about with the Vista haters.
My new laptop is scheduled to be here Thursday, and I'll probably wind up installing Windows 7 RC1 on it (got it without an OS to save $100, and I plan to get Win7 when it's released anyway).

Trap-Eds
May 24th, 2009, 08:02 PM
My family uses a Windows XP. I'm thinking that when I finally get my own computer it'll be either a Mac or a Vista; whatever is cheaper four years from now. :D

twocows
May 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM
My family uses a Windows XP. I'm thinking that when I finally get my own computer it'll be either a Mac or a Vista; whatever is cheaper four years from now. :D
In four years, Windows 7 will be mainstream and probably still cheaper than OS X. Linux and other UNIX derivatives will still be cheapest, of course.

Cold Fusion
May 25th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Nearly every single computer in our house is Windows XP except for my dads and the family computer... I think.

Windows XP for me.

Suki
May 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I tend to use Windows XP, which is on the laptop I'm using now. Orrrrrrr the Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
May 25th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I have a Gateway Laptop and some other computer in my brothers room

:t354:TG

L
May 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I run Mac OS X 10.4 (I have yet to update). My laptop runs Windows XP when I can get it to work properly. ;D

Archer
May 26th, 2009, 05:36 AM
In four years, Windows 7 will be mainstream and probably still cheaper than OS X. Linux and other UNIX derivatives will still be cheapest, of course.

Of course, but unless a user is fully aware of alternative OSs, etc, they probably aren't ready to use one. Speaking of that, has anyone had any experience with OpenSolaris? I'm keen to have a look, but I'm not going to stuff around getting it without a reason to.

Either way, the newbie-friendliness is probably worth what you'd pay for an OEM copy of Windows. I guess you could say I'm a Vista hater. I got too caught up in the original issues and grew to hate little things I saw that I could forgive if it was a Linux distro, like the GIFs not animating in the picture viewer, etc. It's supposed to perform the same as XP with SP2, now, so I guess I just hold a grudge.

Imagine.
May 26th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I use Windows Vista frequently. Sometimes XP but hardly. :D

twocows
May 26th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Of course, but unless a user is fully aware of alternative OSs, etc, they probably aren't ready to use one.
I've always found Windows to be far more problematic than any Linux-based system I've worked with. I had my dad using Ubuntu for a year, and after the first few days, he never ran into any problems with it. He went back to using Windows, and every few weeks there's some sort of problem that I have to spend anywhere from a few minutes to a few days fiixng (and I have to fix them, because otherwise he downloads a bunch of malware labeled "Windows Autofixer" or something similar that messes things up even more).

Speaking of that, has anyone had any experience with OpenSolaris? I'm keen to have a look, but I'm not going to stuff around getting it without a reason to.I have it on VirtualBox. It's all right, but I prefer building my system from scratch rather than downloading a CD that comes with all sorts of packages I'm never going to use, which is why I never bothered putting it on anything besides VirtualBox.

Either way, the newbie-friendliness is probably worth what you'd pay for an OEM copy of Windows.If you want newbie-friendly, even I'd have to recommend OS X. Windows is not user friendly. I had a friend of a friend once whose hard drive was full, so she started deleting files she never used. There was this huge folder called "Windows" taking up all sorts of space, so she decided to delete a bunch of stuff in it, and Windows just let her. Newbies are stupid when it comes to computers, and they'll do stupid things whenever the opportunity arises. As much as I dislike using OS X personally, it's great for people like her.

Mizukin
May 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I use the new Windows SO, the Windows 7. It's better than XP and Vista.

SooHee
May 26th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Despite the hatred it receives, I use a Windows Vista and I think it works perfectly fine.

Alexithymia~
May 27th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Windows something, I'll edit when I find out later.
It's my laptop, and it's a good friend o' mine [/lame]

Mika
May 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Whelp, I've got a Macbook for classes since I have vision issues, runs Leopard, 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM for Memory, somewhere around 180gigs of harddrive space, and I've got a 1TB external harddrive for all meh graphicy goodness. ^3^ This one's mostly for photoshop and classwork but for my touhou obsessions etc I have the following piece of muk doo doo. o3o

I've got a Windows XP [Vista is the bane of existance. >:C] computer and it's been customized to the point I've got no freaking clue just what's on it. It can't be too great as the thing's about ready to keel over so I'm waiting for Windows 7 to finalize itself before I attack it and create myself a gaming PC. I play Ragnarok Online, Mabinogi and the Sims 2/3 and Touhous. o3o So it must run these things, especially the touhous.

Archer
May 27th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I've always found Windows to be far more problematic than any Linux-based system I've worked with. I had my dad using Ubuntu for a year, and after the first few days, he never ran into any problems with it. He went back to using Windows, and every few weeks there's some sort of problem that I have to spend anywhere from a few minutes to a few days fiixng (and I have to fix them, because otherwise he downloads a bunch of malware labeled "Windows Autofixer" or something similar that messes things up even more).

Windows does have more problems, but everyone is far more familiar with it, so there's always someone to help. I actually had installation in mind when I mentioned that. Sure, Ubuntu has a nice installer, but newbies aren't always going to be able to download the correct ISO, burn it to a disc and then edit their boot manager to boot from a disc install it, manage partitions, then install the codecs for all the common files (such as mp3s) that aren't natively supported on a number of distros. Most computers come with Windows installed so that they only have to create an account and set the time. Don't get me wrong, I love Linux, but most people don't have a clue where to start.

I have it on VirtualBox. It's all right, but I prefer building my system from scratch rather than downloading a CD that comes with all sorts of packages I'm never going to use, which is why I never bothered putting it on anything besides VirtualBox.

I prefer to not have to install stuff later. It means everything works whenever I want at a later date. I don't want to find out that I forgot to install a spreadsheet client and need it then and there. Plus I don't want to worry about killing my download limit. It's really up to the user, I guess.

If you want newbie-friendly, even I'd have to recommend OS X. Windows is not user friendly. I had a friend of a friend once whose hard drive was full, so she started deleting files she never used. [S-HIGHLIGHT]There was this huge folder called "Windows" taking up all sorts of space, so she decided to delete a bunch of stuff in it,[/S-HIGHLIGHT] and Windows just let her. Newbies are stupid when it comes to computers, and they'll do stupid things whenever the opportunity arises. As much as I dislike using OS X personally, it's great for people like her.

Despite the fact that windows let her (Vista won't), that's not entirely a valid argument. I mean, there's a difference between a newbie and someone who has no idea what's going on. It's people like that that make me think we should need a licence or supervision to use computers. I don't mean to seem harsh, but that's the same as tinkering inside the case and damaging the computer.

I mean, I don't mind it personally, but having to use the Terminal is definately not friendly for Linux. I have to agree from what I've seen of OSX, as it will even stop people like your friend from forcing the disc drive open with cutlery. Well, a Mac drive should. xD Oh, don't take the bashing personally, I'm just messing around. :D

Jas_66
May 28th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Window Vista Home Premium.

Eureka1
May 28th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Despite the fact that windows let her (Vista won't), that's not entirely a valid argument. I mean, there's a difference between a newbie and someone who has no idea what's going on. It's people like that that make me think we should need a licence or supervision to use computers. I don't mean to seem harsh, but that's the same as tinkering inside the case and damaging the computer.

It would delete components that aren't currently in use, such as most of system32, rendering the OS unbootable.

Raykon
May 28th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I have two computers but I mainly use the one with Windows XP, the other one is Windows Vista.

Master Terrador
May 28th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I...also have two...One is a laptop with vista...the other is a desktop with XP...I Use the laptop more though...Cause all my hacking tools are on it...But I Prefer XP...It Runs Way better and more programs will work for it...So...I'll answer Vista...

Arjun - PeeB4UGo
May 31st, 2009, 07:29 AM
I have two computers --

Desktop 1: Windows 7 Release Candidate, Build 7100.
Desktop 2: Mac OS X 10.5.6.

Satoshi Ookami
May 31st, 2009, 07:32 AM
On one notebook (main one) I'm usin' XP and the other is Vista

Snivi
May 31st, 2009, 07:36 AM
My computer has Windows XP.

mvtm
May 31st, 2009, 07:51 AM
I use Mac OS X 5.6, and i don't really plan on going back to Windows.
Has anyone experienced this?

THIRTY-SIX
May 31st, 2009, 08:13 AM
I use a mac 10.4.11, but quite recently I have been using windows XP.

Gerri Shin
May 31st, 2009, 02:05 PM
I guess I should update, I use Mac OS X 10.5.7 on my Macbook pro. (on both bootable HDDs for it) Also contained on that MBP is Windows 7 release candidate built 7100 in a virtual machine.
I also now have a PowerBook G4 which also runs 10.5.7.

donavannj
June 2nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
To update... I've just gotten a Sony Vaio laptop, which came with a ridiculously bloated copy of Vista Home Premium, which I've almost finished trimming down. I'm going to try Windows 7 in a virtual machine on it. I might turn my desktop into a server... though the network operating systems are expensive.

Primal_Dialga
June 2nd, 2009, 01:10 AM
i use MacOS something its good :) i dont plan to back to windows

KingCJ
June 2nd, 2009, 01:24 AM
I have both a computer and a laptop, and both of them have Windows XP.

viridian doubletongue
June 2nd, 2009, 01:30 AM
I used Mac OS X 10.5.5 leopard (think that's right...)

but i sometimes use our home computer which is Vista.

Ciervo Volante
June 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Proud Vista users. c:

Sure, it took a while to get used to, and wont let me play KotOR, but I still love it. 8D

Nnoitra Jiruga
June 3rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Windows XP= own. < 333
Windows Vista is pretty but I like XP better D :

PokemonFanatic2
June 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Windows vista.. Laptop..But it takes too long to load though.. the welcome center just pops up at you for no reason

Nitrous Oxide
June 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Why is Windows 7 not on this list? The public RC has been out for so long, and tons of people use it, myself included.

Zet
June 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Was Windows 7 RC even released before the 25th of April? but anyway I added Windows 7 to the list

Nitrous Oxide
June 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Was Windows 7 RC even released before the 25th of April? but anyway I added Windows 7 to the list
No, but the public Beta had been out for a while.

Zet
June 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
No, but the public Beta had been out for a while.
It was only out for a short period of time and then stopped because of all the downloads and such

Sk8_K1d
June 5th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Mac OS X on macbook and windows 7 with VMware fusion
Mac OS X on iMac and Windows 7 with bootcamp
Windows XP with old desktop :)

Giraffes? Giraffes!
June 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
My laptop has Windows Vista, which i dislike a lot. I wanna put Windows XP or Ubuntu on it but i'll void my warranty so i'm stuck with crappy vista for who knows how long :(