PDA

View Full Version : You're 10????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inkfingers
April 27th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that no parent in their right mind would let their TEAN YEAR OLD son/ daughter go on a dangerous pokemon journey?! I mean seriously. I get it that ten is about the fan base for most pokemon lovers when it was really popular, but still! I think it should be lik, when you turn ten, you can go w/ a authorized trainer to see what it's like to train pokemon, but when you're like thirteen you can start a pokemon journey. 13 you start to gain more responsibility and start to mature. What do you think?

Gymnotide
April 27th, 2009, 09:20 PM
You are by no means mature at 13.

But think about it this way -- you have powerful super-animals fighting alongside you, willing to use their abilities to protect you from any harm. Fall off a cliff? No problem, Vine Whip will get you back up. Cold? A nice flamethrower would work. Not to mention, you are also majestically watched over by a guardian angel and nothing bad can happen. Murder doesn't exist, and you will always come this close to suffering a fatal death, but escape for the most part unscathed.

And no, it would not work in real life.

Forever
April 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
There are 100 year old men around every corner too! :D

Gymnotide
April 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM
There are 100 year old men around every corner too! :D

And those creepy ladies who sell you the Hoot-Hoots. They will keep you safe in the forests.

JX Valentine
April 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I know friends with thirteen-year-old siblings who don't know how to properly use a microwave.

'Course, that's just an example to an overall point that is at thirteen, you're probably still not old enough to take care of yourself. If it's not the basics (like why you shouldn't stick aluminum foil in a microwave), it's also because thirteen-year-olds don't always make the best decisions, either. That's the time of your life when you start to get rebellious, and when you get rebellious, you start to forget what classifies as a "good idea" and what classifies as a "stupid idea." Like, for example, another friend who, at thirteen, nearly caused his hand to fall off because he fell asleep with a rubber band wrapped tightly around his wrist to the point where he cut off circulation. Judgment hasn't quite developed yet.

But, on the other hand, it should be noted that the pokémon world seems to be culturally different from the world we know. The things that go on there don't necessarily line up with the things that go on here. So, it's perfectly plausible for a ten-year-old to have actually been raised to take care of themselves from an early age because of their own, separate standards -- just enough to know how to make decisions and how to do the basics as opposed to our own lifestyle, where we're not expected to be that mature until we're eighteen. For example, whereas most ten-year-olds in this world would probably go "how i mine 4 fish?" Ash and Misty, one of whom is canonically stated to be ten at the beginning of the series, survived just fine until they met up with Brock (who, in the meantime, was a teen managing a household and serving as a parent to his nine brothers and sisters). So, the population's a bit more mature than the kids in the real world.

Why would the people in that world decide ten is a good age for maturity? *shrug* I don't know. Why do people in our world think overdramatic, spastic sixteen-year-old girls would be competent enough to get behind the wheel of a half-ton pile of metal and plastic? (No offense to those of you who are sixteen. I was an overdramatic, spastic sixteen-year-old girl at one point too.)

Forever
April 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
And those creepy ladies who sell you the Hoot-Hoots. They will keep you safe in the forests.

And of course you can't forget the gym leaders that are totally sensible and not insane one bit. Like Whitney and Claire. :3

.:Kanto:.
April 28th, 2009, 01:08 AM
..what I find funny is that the main characters always look like their 16 or something. You'd have to be pretty messed up to think that they are 10. o_o"

♣Gawain♣
April 28th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I think 15 is better. A mid-teen has better responsibility than a early teen. A 13 has a lot to adjust to.

And I hate those old ladies all over the games. :X

Blue Nocturne
April 28th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Maturity is more based upon the individual, not just the age. for example, i (and i know many other people who have been in the same position) have been mistaken to be a lot older purely because of level of maturity and sensibility.

Back on-topic, i think we need more characters like wes in the games. I agree that 10 years really isnt old enough for a kid to be roaming an entire region and always somehow overthrowing a major criminal organisation whos only form of defence are stupidly weak pokemon. But, this is the pokemon world, where (major criminal organisations aside) everyone is law abiding and everything is eeirily fine (evidence to support this is that no one seems to mind people waltzing into their houses).

Åzurε
April 28th, 2009, 11:26 AM
While that first statement is true to a point, nocturne. Part of it is still being physically competent. Having to travel on foot (or bike) through a labyrinthine mountain only to emerge in shoulder-deep snow, and trudging through that to end up at a house which doesn't appear to have central heating, so you can manage to come to a random lake. Even with pokemon, you have to admit it would be hell. there's only so far sensibility can take you without endurance (although even with a good body that would be pretty dang tough).

and yes, Wes is ftw.

daigonite
April 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Lul. Isn't everyone fully mature at the age of 10? I think so. Definately a great idea to send our children barely out of 4th grade out into the wilderness where they can easily be either killed or permently maimed by creatures with powers over nature such as water and fire?

But then again, we're dealing with the world where when a Pokemon explodes, the trainers never have a scar. They're only about 3 feet from their own Pokemon, so why do their Pokemon get hurt by Explosion and not the Trainer? BECAUSE GOD HATES TEH MONS.

Then again, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Orre and all the other smaller places I may be missing... DON'T ACTUALLY EXIST. So their laws could, of course, be a little less logical than ours, because like their laws, their nations are a fantasy. :3

Peanutz
April 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Reading this made me think of that old lady in Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

"Oh, would you like a rest, deary? You and your Pokemon look tired. . ."

That is freakin' messed up right there.

Also, just because someone is ten doesn't mean they're immature and can't care for themselves. But that definitely doesn't mean they can run around a region, gamble in the Game Corner, and use animals to stop an evil organization from destroying or ruling the world.

Gymnotide
April 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Then again, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Orre and all the other smaller places I may be missing... DON'T ACTUALLY EXIST. So their laws could, of course, be a little less logical than ours, because like their laws, their nations are a fantasy. :3

Yeah, a year there could equal twice ours...
So Ash and friends actually left when they were 20.

Superjub
April 28th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Am I ten? I thought I was 13? *shot'd*

Anyway, I guess it's the Pokemon world and since Gamefreak wanted to aim the game at a young age group, I guess they just wanted to make the protoganist a young age. :\ Also, has everyone forgot about the twins? :P They are not 10! XD

zerwey
April 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Maturity is more based upon the individual, not just the age.

Agreed. People misjudge others too much just because they're 5 years younger =/

Monochrome
April 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hell, I say if you are smart enough to get yourself a Pokemon you deserve to go on a journey, If your a parent and give your kid one or let some elderly man give them one then that's your own fault... Lol.

Azonic
April 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
10 year olds were put in the anime so they could relate to the audience better.And of course you can't forget the gym leaders that are totally sensible and not insane one bit. Like Whitney and Claire. :3
And the midget Maylene.

Åzurε
April 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Speaking of sensible Leaders...Remember Waker, the one with an affinity for wrestling... and singing karaoke? Yeah, him. Because he's 100% mentally stable. :P

Astinus
April 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM
You're going to have to remember that the Pokemon world is not only a world that's different from our own, but generally based on an entirely different culture, the Japanese culture.

For instance, those who say that children in the Pokemon world wouldn't be able to handle traveling, should remember that the schooling of the world would be different from schooling in the real world. Preparations would be made for the children to embark on what's a pretty big deal in that world. So, to prepare for travel, lessons heavy in geography and physical education classes would be given to give the Pokeworld children the skills they need to survive.

So perhaps children in the Pokemon world are treated in a way that they are more mature than their real world counterparts because that would fit the world's culture.

It's an entirely different, and fictional, world.

Melody
April 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Astinus has a good point.

I don't think they send them out unprepared. No doubt, they always have to check in at the next town within a reasonable time frame anyways. (besides, even the kids know they have to keep touching base at towns and villages to get supplies and all.) I'm sure there's a LOT the anime and the games DON'T show the trainers doing, because they assume that any sane audience will assume that the trainers are properly prepared, and are doing things realistically. It'd be quite dull if they showed every moment of things like setting up camp, breaking down camp, washing clothes, buying supplies and all that other survival stuff that has to be done when you're traveling like that.

Åzurε
April 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I suppose that makes sense, but it'd make sense to show it once in a while.

and some trainers in the game are shown to have purposely stayed away from towns for months, sometimes years. example- steven, red, some cooltrainers/dragon trainers.

Ninja Caterpie
April 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah, maturity is reached quite differently. Some guy thought I was 17 when I was 12. 'course, that was on the Internet. xP

Anyway, they're schooled differently so they're properly prepared for the great outdoors.

Kaori
April 29th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I think they made them go at the age of 10 because they're not too mature at that age and they get to learn more things in that age.

In real life, I think it would be best to leave at the age of 13. ^^;

processr
April 29th, 2009, 08:20 AM
10 year olds were put in the anime so they could relate to the audience better.

This.

The vast majority of members on PC are in their teens, with a high concentration of around sixteen and up. These people would have been around six or seven and up when the games were first released and the anime first shown in the States, so evidently Nintendo's plan to use a ten-year-old as the main character has worked, by giving people around that age someone they can relate to and those younger someone to aspire to, in a way.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE
April 30th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Yeah, a year there could equal twice ours...
So Ash and friends actually left when they were 20.

There's just something about that post that is so.. TRUE. It all makes sense now! I'll probably never look at Pokémon the same way now. *either that or my brain has melted*

Seriously, Astinus is right. Pokémon is a different world. I'm sure if you asked some one from the Pokémon world, the idea of schooling from four to twenty would be just as strange as leaving home at ten is to us.

Alpha de Splash
April 30th, 2009, 12:26 PM
There's just something about that post that is so.. TRUE. It all makes sense now! I'll probably never look at Pokémon the same way now. *either that or my brain has melted*

Seriously, Astinus is right. Pokémon is a different world. I'm sure if you asked some one from the Pokémon world, the idea of schooling from four to twenty would be just as strange as leaving home at ten is to us.
Yes, but unfortunately my character has always been 10. but now he has other numbers: he's 83 lbs, and 4'10".

KostK2Boss
April 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Well, the hero's/or heroine's mom would never let him/or her to go on a pokemon journey, IF she knew that it would include fighting evil conspiracies of various gangster teams and facing powerful legendary pokemon to save the world. But she DOESN'T KNOW her child is facing all these dangers.
In the games, the mom simply heals your pokemon. She doesn't ask questions, such as "Did you catch Deoxys today, honey?".
In the anime, Ash's mom meets Team Rocket (Jessie & James, not the Grunts) only once(twice, if we take "Beauty and the Beach" into account). And for a strange reason, Ash didn't mention to his mom that he had seen Ho-oh, but did mention it to Oak.

Feathing
April 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
As Gymnotide said, you're not mature at ten... Not trying to offense anyone here, but, at least in my country, you begin to grow up around sixteen/seventeen, even fifteen in some cases... I know it can't be compared in the real world, no parents would let their kid go out for a year or two for travelling across the world XD Besides, no kid of ten/twelve would have any idea about how spend the money the could have XD XD

I think fourteen should be the minimum legal age, and sixteen the average. Just think about it, if you start your journey at ten, when you have twenty you already visited lots of places and caught lots of Pokemon. You have just twenty and you're already a 'oldie'. I don't like that, I'd rather begin my journey at sixteen.

Artemis
May 1st, 2009, 06:14 PM
Honestly, ten years was used because the age group for Pokémon was set at around a group of 6-12 year old kids. Having a kid in the show start of their journey at an age like 16 or so would have had to been made for a higher age group. Though, no in real life most parents in this world wouldn't have the right mind to let their 10 year old child walk the street or venture off into dee, dark forests alone, even with the help of Pokémon. Of course the idea of the show and game is all fiction and doesn't portray reality like in our world. xD

♣Gawain♣
May 1st, 2009, 09:57 PM
Honestly, ten years was used because the age group for Pokémon was set at around a group of 6-12 year old kids. Having a kid in the show start of their journey at an age like 16 or so would have had to been made for a higher age group. Though, no in real life most parents in this world wouldn't have the right mind to let their 10 year old child walk the street or venture off into dee, dark forests alone, even with the help of Pokémon. Of course the idea of the show and game is all fiction and doesn't portray reality like in our world. xD

I concur with that. The cause of the most children-based accidents is that parents let go of their children and ignore what they're doing. But that's our world, not the Pokemon world. In their world, they're hardly any accidents.

pokerus34
May 1st, 2009, 10:03 PM
Any age is acceptable... As long as you can take care of yourself ...and you have those cute little fellas along with you... Even if you are as old as 100 or as young as 5 You could go It's just that Parents (in the Pkmn World) only allow their sons/daughters to travel in that certain age, which is 10... P.S. = Oh, what the heck! Traveling is fun! Even if you're ten!:)

Blaziken_Boy
May 1st, 2009, 10:42 PM
Mom: What'd you do while you were gone?
Jim: Oh, nothing really, other than helped train my Pokemon to the point where they were more mature than I was, defeated the Elite Four fifteen times, got into the Ribbon Syndicate, won 3 Master rank contests, and defeated an evil group hellbent on destroying the world to make a new one. So yeah.

I mean, why the hell not?

ShinjisLover
May 1st, 2009, 10:48 PM
If it were my kid, regardless of whether or not they have powerful monsters (that could always turn on you, no less), they wouldn't be leaving on a Pokémon journey until they were at least 16. But it depends on the kid. The more mature I think they are, then they can leave at 15. But no earlier.

As for 10 year olds on Pokémon journeys, to me, that's ridiculous. .

BenjiTheKid
May 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
I think it's just a game. ;) (and a show and a manga, of course!)

But, seriously, the Pokemon world is... how you say?... different than the real world. In the Pokemon world, you have Pokemon to protect you. If something threatens you, throw a pokeball. (hence why you throw Pokeballs when wild Pokemon appear) Murder doesn't exist. (except in the form of killing Pokemon :( think red, blue, yellow, firered, leafgreen and Marowak) And the only bad guys will leave you alone if you defeat them in battle. Now, it would be safer to say that no parent in their right mind would let them go out into the Pokemon world without a Pokemon.

Also, you're not mature at 13. :)

Inkfingers
May 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks so much for your answers guys. They really made me think. Keep em comin. I still wanna here what you guys have to say. Oh and blaiziken boy, hilarious, that totally made my day.