PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the 3rd generation?

Cham
April 29th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on this generation of Pokemon games. I have been a fan since the day Red and Blue came out, and I have loved every single game since, except for Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I enjoy FR/LG, but R/S/E just never did it for me. I have over 300 hours in every single version I have played, but I couldn't stomach R/S/E after the Elite 4 for the life of me, and I don't even really know why. Perhaps I didn't like Hoenne that much? Or maybe the 3rd generation of monsters just didn't seem so great? What are your opinions?

Dunsparce
April 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I played alot more Hours on my Leaf Green than Sapphire and Emerald combined.

In fact, when R/S were currently the only 3rd Gen games, I still actively played my Crystal.

Cham
April 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I played alot more Hours on my Leaf Green than Sapphire and Emerald combined.

In fact, when R/S were currently the only 3rd Gen games, I still actively played my Crystal.

So I see I am not the only one hehe. I thought maybe it was a rare preference.

Dunsparce
April 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM
So I see I am not the only one hehe. I thought maybe it was a rare preference.

In fact, I just recently Purchased and Recieved a Japanese Crystal(With Box and Instructions), and am currently working on it.

2nd Gen has always been my favorite. Even if they Remake it, I'll probably still play the originals XD

Shrimz
April 29th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I liked the renovations to Red and Blue with the FireRed/LeafGreen. R/S/E aren't that fun because of the random level gap between the gyms and the E4.

IMO, G/S/C was the best. 16 badges? and a master trainer. awesome.

warudo.kun!
April 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Johto/2nd generation is my favorite. Always my favorite.

I extremely dislike the 3rd Generation. Ugh. Their pokemon make me feel so bitter, for no reason.

thedestinedblade
April 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah, the 3rd generation is probably my least favorite of the four. I don't know, it just doesn't have the same feel as the first two.

warudo.kun!
April 29th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Yeah, the 3rd generation is probably my least favorite of the four. I don't know, it just doesn't have the same feel as the first two.

Exactly. Besides, one of the things that makes me really attached to the Johto region is that it's so "exciting & adventurous".

SoulRed12
April 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Gen III is my least favorite, but I don't dislike it.

I think Gen IV is a great improvement due to the different physical/special system, makes things much more interesting and competitive battles are less straightforward. E.G. a physical swampert with a water attack (such as aqua tail, etc.).

Hana~
April 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I'm going to show the different side of the claim, where I think that the 3rd generation was the best one by miles, and the 2nd generation was the worst out of the four.

The sudden climate changes (and weather) were really nice, as well as the storyline and the Pokémon. The game also included several pieces of good music.

Hana, signing out~

Ninja Caterpie
April 30th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Totally agreeing with the one above.

Probably I'm biased because I joined Pokémon in 2005. Yeah. And my first game was Emerald. To me though, it's just awesome. There's no edge of competition in Gen II. :\ And DP came as my parents were out of it completely and I slowly went too. :\ But, yeah. III > II > IV > I.

Oh, and R/S/E had some of the best pieces in the series. Just listen to Route 118's theme! :O Actually, all the Route themes are awesome.

bobandbill
April 30th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Myself...well, I came into the Pokemon series in the 2nd gen (well, in that it was the first game I actually *owned*), and that still remains my favourite out of them all - sure, ever since GSC came about, there have been major improvements on it from each new gen (as there were improvements on RBY in the form of GSC), but I feel that for its time, it was my favourite gen, and the 3rd doesn't quite measure up to it as much.

Doesn't mean I didn't like them a lot though - I've played a good amount of time on the 3rd gen games alone - stuff like abilities and double battles and the 'weather' storyline in RSE and so forth, as well as FR/LG as well which although had the somewhat 'meh' Sevii Islands (IMO), was still fun. And then there was Colo and XD too, which I also liked, despite some flaws those games had - Pokemon games with somewhat dark story-lines, teenage protagonists that blow up stuff and Miror B gain ticks from me.

But yet... when playing 3rd gen games, every so often I would turn back to GSC. It just had something (or somethings) that held a higher appeal to me than some 3rd gen games, and everything just seemed so...right about it when it came out. The real-time features for one was something I was disappointed not to see in 3rd gen games - they really did seem to enhance the experience of playing the game. Being able to go back to Kanto and beat another 8 gyms is another plus, the back-tracking was fun, the game wasn't too linear either... *recalls heading east rather than west after beating Monty the ghost-type Gym Leader*.

Music-wise as well - IMO, overall 2nd gen wins out music-wise. Each gen had their highlights (1st = Route 1, Lavander Town, 3rd - heck, just look at Miror B's themes, and 4th, the rival's theme, Champion's theme...), but GSC's music seemed the most enjoyable in the end, even if it was in beeps. They fitted the places/events well, and so forth...but that's enough rambling. Maybe it's nostalgia talking but I stick to my points.

For me, gen III was one of the weaker ones for me, but I did enjoy it, and when it comes down to it - each one to his/her own - everyone's going to have different preferences when it comes to games.

SoulRed12
April 30th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Totally agreeing with the one above.

Probably I'm biased because I joined Pokémon in 2005. Yeah. And my first game was Emerald. To me though, it's just awesome. There's no edge of competition in Gen II. :\ And DP came as my parents were out of it completely and I slowly went too. :\ But, yeah. III > II > IV > I.

Oh, and R/S/E had some of the best pieces in the series. Just listen to Route 118's theme! :O Actually, all the Route themes are awesome.
I agree with the part about the music, definitely. Especially with the addition of the frontier brain battle theme in Emerald. =D

Pikachu™
May 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Well, for me the 3rd gen was probably worst out of all them. I just didn't like the Pokemon designs as much they seemed a bit off and random at times. In my opinion, the 2nd generation was my favorite and I replayed them so many times.

WisherWisherWish
May 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
I LOVE HOENN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's SOME reasons why:
1. R/S/E got me into Pokemon
2. You could actually run in this game.
3. The starters were the cutest.
4. All my fav Pokemon are in Hoenn.
5. Has the coolest looking legendaries.
6. You rarely ever need to use HM moves, like Sinnoh or Kanto.
7. Finally had a new evil organization, Aqua and Magma, but not too annoying, like Galactic.
8. Has the coolest looking player (Boy and Girl)

Want any more reasons? XD

shanecdavis
May 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
3rd Gen > 1st Gen > 2nd Gen > Adv Gen

1st Gen has the best Pokemon. 2nd Gen has the best storyline. Adv Gen has the best functionality. On the other hand, 1st Gen (obviously) has the worst functionality, 2nd Gen has the worst Pokemon, and Adv Gen has the worst storyline. 3rd Gen though has a great balance of Pokemon, storyline, and functionality.

BHwolfgang
May 2nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Somehow, I feel different than anyone else. I first played the Pokémon games by first trying out Ruby, then Sapphire. It's just that I love some of the Pokémon in the region.

Out of all, I love Hoenn the best, if I exclude Orre, however.

The Confuzzler
May 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Advance gen is bland to me. not great, but not bad either.

Roxasabridged
May 2nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
R/S/E isn't all that spectacular. The only Pokemon I thought were awesome was Plusle and Minun, the other pokemon and legendaries are kinda crappy. The music sucked too. The only music I liked was the rival theme, which when compared to music from the other Gen's, is crap.
The rival, funnily enough sucked. By far the easiest to beat, and you can't even fight her fully evolved starter. Magma and Aqua were just stupid.

Pink_Marshmello
May 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
I really think they could have made R/S/E better... The Pokemon weren't bad, but the storyline was just kinda... sucky. I hated how bland it seemed after playing G/S/C. (I mean, 16 badges! Come on!) And the Elite 4 were really easy to beat in this gen.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
May 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
I never had a problem with RSE because it introduce the Pokemon contest, more berries, each pokemon has their own icon and more. Generation three was great, I was hoping that they would of put Kan. and Joh. in it as well

:t354:TG

System!
May 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
I dunno, I found the 3rd generation to be...rather dull. I just couldn't really get into it. I've restarted Sapphire a bunch of times because there's never really anything to do after beating the E4. And even though the FRLG games are remakes of the original RB games, which I enjoyed heartily (actually I only played Yellow, but it's the same thing, isn't it?), I couldn't really finish LG and I had to force myself through it.

I don't hate the 3rd Generation, I just found it to be a little on the dull side.

dutchmuffin77
May 2nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
R/S/E are fun to play until you beat the elite four, and this is probably because there is really nothing to do after beating the elite four besides catching the other legendaries, unlike FR/LG which had islands you could explore afterwards.
You could also use a vs seeker to find new opponents if you got bored of exploring.

shanecdavis
May 3rd, 2009, 04:49 AM
You must not play Emerald then. There is PLENTY to do after the "elite" 4. Battle Frontier is the main thing, which is far better than the in-game storyline/battles. Don't forget that in Emerald trainers will call you for rematches, including Gym Leaders.

Lt_Nite
May 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
When I initially played through I was not a big fan of it, didn't like the pokemon they seemed too, blah to me, but recently I've had this urge to play it and go through again. I wish I could find my emerald because I'd like to go through that instead but oh well. I do remember waiting for that Lilycove Department Store sale to get those sweet items for my secret base. :)

Aether
May 4th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Though I prefer the 2nd generation personally, 3rd gen was extremely good. Namely the music. I loved the music. Also some of the locations were just cool, like the one route with the ashes falling everywhere, Meteor Falls, and the underwater areas.

Rubber Ducky
May 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Pretty meh for me, the Pokemon were great and the region wasn't half bad, but I didn't like the overall games that much. Thank God for Battle Frontier.

Dragonzord
May 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I love Fr Lg, but 4 some reason r/s/e never really did it for me. i mean, i liked them while i played them, but i dont really have any memories of em bsides trading with colo and fr/lg.

Hermione Granger
May 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Well, I really liked the 2nd Gen/Johto. R/S/E are pain in the but. The gyms are totally underleveled.

Translator
May 4th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Well, I think the 2nd Gen games are good but I think the 3rd Gen games made Pokemon more famous around the world because of the new features that was placed in R/S/E and in FR/LG.

The Red Chain
May 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
3rd generation was alright... I honestly never made it to the Elite Four.
I just got bored and stopped playing.

I liked the whole idea of secret bases, and of course a whole new batch of Pokemon.
The graphics improvement from 2nd generation games to the 3rd was a very pleasant sight. But even with those pros, I couldn't get myself to finish it..
I didn't even like the small legendary of this generation, which is pretty bad.. [Jirachi]
To put it simply, the 3rd generation games are pretty boring.

white lancer
May 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM
3rd Gen has been growing on me. R/S really pissed me off when it came out because I was so disappointed you couldn't go back to Johto or Kanto, and because so many of the Pokémon were missing (along with the lamentable loss of the clock function). I played through Sapphire and beat the E4 but never really got into it as much as I had the previous two generations. When Emerald came out I gave it another shot and found it to be much better; the previously mentioned two issues still irked me, but there were a lot of improvements made upon the series IMO between G2 and G3 (i.e. Natures, abilities, new moves, general aesthetics, etc.), and I liked the setup of the cities and towns in the region (Fortree, Sootopolis, and Pacifidlog had more interesting setups than any town/city in Kanto or Johto). The Pokémon, including the legendaries and especially the starters (aside from Blaziken, who is the only one awesome enough to hang with the previous starters), were still not as interesting, and I kinda missed Team Rocket (wish they could have had them in there as well as the other two teams--it might have been crowded but they could have expanded the game to incorporate them, and it would have been more interesting), but I was starting to get to know them better, and in Emerald the two teams got interesting because you got to battle both of them.

FR/LG were both great games; I was disappointed at first because I had been under the impression that it was an entirely new game set in Kanto, rather than just a remake, but, again, it grew on me. Love the Sevii islands addition (although they should have added the Orange Islands from the anime), although they were a little too short for my liking, but it was cool playing through FR/LG with the upgrades G3 had been given...something that G2 is sorely lacking. I'd still take my Crystal over LG or Emerald any day, but it'd be sweet to have these other improvements in that game, as well.

Miss Soupy
May 5th, 2009, 09:36 AM
The game itself was nice. I liked the gameplay, since you could now run. Secret bases were a nice addition. BUT, I wasn't a fan of the Pokemon themselves. Some had beautiful designs, while some looked a little forced in order to get another batch of 150 Pokemon.

RS had nothing to do after the Elite Four. Emerlad, I could stand. The Battle Frontier wasn't horrible, but it just wasn't my thing, since I'm the type of person who likes exploring in Pokemon.

Fourth generation is my least favorite, though. After the Elite Four in DP I just put the game down because I was bored out of my mind.

samir634
May 5th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I like how GSC is sort of a sequal to the original RBY. RSE just shot in there with no real previous explanation, they just decided to restart the pokemon world. I'm sure that RSE would have been more popular if they connected it with GSC and gave it a following storyline, also a return to Johto would have been nice. I really like Blaziken though, he is probably one of the best starters out there. He's up there with Typhlosion and Feraligatr two of my Favorite starters. Also its alot easier when you get a Combusken for the first gym cause you stand a chance that way.

Niprop
May 5th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Generation 3 was a mixed bag for me.

Some of the music was good, even nostalgic, though the other half made me hold back tears of pain (the rival song made me want to get through the battle even faster!), the weather and double battles added more depth to the game, many of the pokemon (with some obvious exceptions, like Wynaut) had the odd Skarmory (which at first I thought was a generation 3 pokemon, never seeing one in Crystal before) style that didn't match up well with some other pokemon (if you saw Kyrogue or Groundon without any hint on what they were, would you think they were pokemon?), diving was one of the few fun things that a really missed from the generation, and Secret bases were... Meh to me.

All in all, I consider it somewhere in the middle.

ReyRey-Pyon
May 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I hated gen 3 >:
i only liked it for FRLG actually, but Johto is where its at,
RSE is my least favorite, It just never appealed the same as the others, it got boring for me really fast, And i stopped looking forward to new games since i didn't expect much from DPP Dx

I liked the Secret bases and being able to run, but it was really boring IMHO

white lancer
May 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I like how GSC is sort of a sequal to the original RBY. RSE just shot in there with no real previous explanation, they just decided to restart the pokemon world. I'm sure that RSE would have been more popular if they connected it with GSC and gave it a following storyline, also a return to Johto would have been nice. I really like Blaziken though, he is probably one of the best starters out there. He's up there with Typhlosion and Feraligatr two of my Favorite starters. Also its alot easier when you get a Combusken for the first gym cause you stand a chance that way.

I think you hit the nail on the head here for my problems with RSE...it wasn't a sequel, it was an entirely new game.

I also totally agree about Blaziken--it's one of the few G3 Pokémon that can hold its own with G1 and G2 in my opinion. :D

Pyrax
May 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I liked the 3rd gen mainly because it was the gen where I got my first pokémon game. (Sapphire)
I also liked the secret bases, diving, berries and all that.

Generation(which at first I thought was a generation 3 pokemon, never seeing one in Crystal before)

Didn't a Skarmory appear in Jhoto?

Stellar
May 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I really didn't like 3rd Gen... I don't know why. I liked the storyline of R/S/E and having secret bases but otherwise it kind of sucked. xD My favorites will forever be G/S/C. Those were the last games where I actually knew all the Pokemon. Sapphire was the first game I played where I'd run into the grass and have to ask myself, "wtf is this thing?"

Revise Librarian
May 6th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Third generation was fine, but not the best. All the improvements made their way to fourth generation, instead.

Xenart
May 6th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Somehow, I feel different than anyone else. I first played the Pokémon games by first trying out Ruby, then Sapphire. It's just that I love some of the Pokémon in the region.

Out of all, I love Hoenn the best, if I exclude Orre, however.

Same as this guy. Ruby was the first I got and I just seemed to like the pokemon in this game more then the others.

RedDialga
May 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Same as this guy. Ruby was the first I got and I just seemed to like the pokemon in this game more then the others.
Same as you guys. The first 3rd generation game I got was Ruby. After that, I decided to buy Emerald Version since I loved Rayquaza and I kinda was attarcted to the adds they gave the game.

Pokeyomom
May 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM
To me the pokemon game series stopped at generation 3. The games were pretty cool, but some of the pokemon left alot to be desired. I may get flamed for saying this, but I think the standard dropped even further with 4th generation. Seriously, I only like a handfull of pokemon from the new games.

Slaking ftw.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
May 7th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I'd put the generations in the order:

FR/LG
R/S/E
G/S/E
R/B/Y
D/P/Pt

I always liked the pokemon in R/S/E: they were original, but still had the pokemon feel that made the creatures of the first gen so awesome.

sirboulevard
May 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I feel the 3rd Gen was ok. RSE were boring w. the exception of the Battle Frontier. FR/LG were good. I thought the Seviis and the behind the scenes info on the major characters was cool. Colosseum and XD (which always get forgotten as 3rd Gen Games) opened up 3D RPGs to the series. I think I just find that GSC had the best balance of the storyline and the continuity of the saga. You never hear abotu Team Rocket in newer games or how Red did after his quest in Kanto. RSE drifted from what the saga had been originally.

Wolfwhispers
May 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I did find the 3rd generation a bit boring. The storyline, while a bit more original than Team Rocket taking over the world, was a bit nice, but it just seemed like all the opponent pokemon and wild pokemon were at a ridiculiously low level than in the other games. Perhaps it was because the excitment of more pokemon being released had gone away with Johto, or perhaps it was because the lame storylines bored me... I dunno. I rather did like some of the new pokemon. Absol, Feebas (not Milotic for some reason) and Manectric were a few I did like... Hmm... Guess it really was that excitement died out. I wasn't all that excited for a bunch of new pokemon for 4th gen. except for Riolu, Lucario and Buizel.

Inferno1
May 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I liked the story line of RSE it is good i like the bad guys in RSE i ever think their the best bad guys yet. I even think that the gyms a tough and have a good element base. But to this day i still can't figure out but i hate about 50% of the pokemon in RSE. It just do i have no clue why i accually find it a stuggle to get 6 sometimes

Bibliophibian
May 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I never really liked the 3rd gen either. All the surfing and diving drove me crazy, and for some reason the graphics never really said "Pokemon game" to me. >_>" Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite Pokemon came out of Gen III, (Spoink/Grumpig <3 ) but I'll be perfectly happy with never picking up R/S/E ever again.

I'm not really including FR/LG in that at all, but the only thing I can really think of that bothered me was the way the girl looked. I know, I know, based on manga characters. Doesn't stop me from thinking how ugly that sprite was though. :x

giradialkia
May 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
RS Sprites= fugly. The gameplay is ok, but damn, the trainer/overworld/Pokemon sprites cause me stress... I guess they must have realised this for FR/LG, which had wicked Sprites, particularly trainers like Bruno and Green (Rival), Pokemon like Gyarados and Charizard, and the trainer overworld sprites. This could have been done in Emerald, though it'd probably stretch the ''3rd sister game'' concept a bit too far. All in all, GSC for the win (i know i havn't mentioned it yet but bleh). Killer music, great storyline, cool Pokemon, and no ridiculous diving. (Yeah, i get it, Hoenn's a watery region, now show me the goddamned Seafloor Cavern!!)

BlueMango
May 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM
i dont think there was as much to do after you finish the main quest of r/s/e and everything these was just felt like a regurgitation of the old games with a new skin.

True Reign
May 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hoenn sucks hard, but it's the only Pokemon game I have, so whatever.

I still need to beat it. XD

slaughter077
May 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
In fact, I just recently Purchased and Recieved a Japanese Crystal(With Box and Instructions), and am currently working on it.

2nd Gen has always been my favorite. Even if they Remake it, I'll probably still play the originals XD

I agree, 2nd gen was always my favorite *(*Revisit of Kanto FTW!!!)*
But I still really enjoyed RSE.
Not as much as FRLG, which I played much more, but alot.

crobatdeluxe
May 12th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Gen III made just a little change in the pokemon world. Hoenn is my least liked region, bcoz:

1. It has no poison or bug gym or E4
2. The only thing I like there is the match call and Battle Frontier.
3. Morty is better than Phoebe.
4. Karen is superior to Sidney.

Translator
May 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Well, what I like about the 3rd Gen. Pokemon games particularly R/S/E is that the Gyms have mazes before you can go and battle the Gym Leader while the 1st and 2nd Gen. Pokemon games were pretty straight forward.

JeTz
May 13th, 2009, 01:03 AM
R/B/Y Pokemon pwn all!

I can say 1st Gen is really cool.

G/S/C where this game's storyline beats all

R/S/E was came to me by ''least favourite''

Secretstunt24
May 13th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Well, I've been a fan since the first game as well. And I somewhat agree with you that R/S/E was lacking to say the least, but as much as I hate to say it I feel like it needed to be there. If you ask me I say that game was rushed just a bit. Anyway, on to the topic at hand, I like the 3rd gen. This 3rd gen is like what I wanted R/S/E to be. And I like all the additions they've added. I just hated the fact that D/P doesn't have a fire type anywhere in the game. I'd complain more, but platinum fixed it all.

JezzaRules
May 13th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Least favorite obviously was the first gen.
I have to say the third gen R/S/E was the best in terms of storyline (especially emerald).
The only downside to R/S/E is the fact that it isn't big enough compared to 2nd gen G/S/E and 4th gen D/P/P

SooHee
May 13th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I think I'm one of the few that would say the R/S/E was my favorite out of all of them. I honestly don't know why but I liked it best.

angelsavoir
May 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I own Leaf Green, and Emerald. I enjoyed LF way more then emerald. I didnt mind emerald but I never completed the whole game. I stopped playing right before the 8th badge and never finshed. My brother did. 3rd generation definatly will never be as good as gen 1 and 2. They where so much better, and so that why I like LF :)

sonofzeal
May 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I have to say, Gen3 is my favorite. I love the interface the best, the VS Finder was way better than the telephone, you could run, it looked the prettiest of the first three, and it added a whole bunch of interesting and useful pokemon.

I honestly didn't like Gen2 at all. Mostly I just thought all the new pokemon were random and unnecessary and tacked on just to make you have to work harder filling your new pokedex. There's honestly not a single new pokemon from that generation that I remember fondly - not that I hate them, just that I don't remember them.

Another problem was that I played in on my computer, and the emulator I used gave a "dead battery" message that, for whatever reason, meant that time didn't pass in the game. This made the whole night/day thing one giant frustration and almost made me quit. I'm not sure if it would have been compelling if I'd played it on an actual gameboy, but it seems completely unnecessary and merely designed to stretch things out even farther.

So - what did I miss, what made Gen2 so good for all you Gen2-lovers out there?

Cham
May 16th, 2009, 08:46 AM
So - what did I miss, what made Gen2 so good for all you Gen2-lovers out there?

I think what made generation 2 great for me was the feeling of not too much or not too little. I think the balance of quality and quantity was done very well. I've always thought that 250 was a good number, and not many of the monsters from gen. 2 seemed pencil whipped or thought up spur of the moment. I feel that quality started to degrade monster-wise 3rd generation and onward. The region was the most fun to explore, I would actually walk through the routes even after I had fly. The implementation of morning/day/night and time based events was a great addition to the game, as were the smaller things such as acorns and shiny monsters.
Going along with the reasons mentioned, I really do think a large amount of my 2nd generation preference is nostalgia. It wasn't necessarily groundbreaking features or additions that did it for me, it was the good memories I have tied along with the game and all the time spent with my friends playing it.

Ayselipera
May 17th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I didn't mind the 3rd generation, but some of the new
pokemon I found hideous. I also didn't like how Ruby
and Sapphire ended after the Elite Four with pretty
much nothing left to do. But I thought Emerald took
care of that nicely by adding in the Battle Frontier.
Even though it wasn't as exciting as Kanto and Johto
its still a hell of a lot better then Sinnoh. Sinnoh is
easily the most boring pokemon game ever.

sonofzeal
May 17th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I've always thought that 250 was a good number, and not many of the monsters from gen. 2 seemed pencil whipped or thought up spur of the moment. I feel that quality started to degrade monster-wise 3rd generation and onward.
See, I always felt the opposite. I mean, Gen3 introduced Slaking (unique, tactically interesting), Linoone (personal bias), Breloom (awesome type, great unique options in Spore+FocusPunch), Ralts (nice alternative to the overused Abra line), Aggron (hyperfocused on defense, but again that just makes it tactically interesting), Mightyena (finally, a Dark type that you can actually expect to see around), Salamence (overused, but a nice alternative to Dragonite), and Metagross (pseudo-legendaries are always fun).

Standouts from Gen2 for me are... uh... Mareep (finally, a three-stage electric), Sudowoodo (finally, a pure-rock, too bad it's pretty useless), Girafarig (interesting type combo, but underpowered), Ursaring (good solid Normal brute), Skarmory (another interesting type mix, and playable this time), and Tyranitar (pseudo-legendary ftw).

...yeah, with a few exceptions (such as Skarmory, who's in Gen3 games anyway), I'll take the Gen3 pokemon over Gen2. I was never impressed with how Gen2 introduced Dark and Steel without really giving them enough support in the form of common and useful pokemon to showcase the types; they felt, in your words, "pencil whipped". I thought Gen3 did a lot better job of integrating the new types and making them feel like an actual part of the game.

I dunno. I should give Gen2 another try. If I do, what do you recommend for a team of Gen2 pokemon that won't keep me wishing that I could have Gen1 equivalents instead? What Gen2 pokemon add new tactical variety to the game?

AceOfSpades
May 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Generation III was definately my favorite. I played Gen. I and Gen. II, but I was so little and did not even know what was going on. Pokemon Sapphire was the first pokemon game I finished, then red, yellow, gold, and crystal. Im not saying the First two Generations of pokemon games are bad, I'm just saying that the Gen III games are the main reasons I got into pokemon. Although I do like Gen II pokemon the best, Gen III were my favorite games.

KurlyFries
May 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM
ZERO OUT OF TEN.

I'm totally joking.

I thought the massively huge third gen brought about a lot of milestones in competitive battling.
Abilities, a crapload of items like white herb (not so sure about that one), Salamence, etc.

Speaking of which, they perfected the single player competitive battles (like Battle Tower) in Emerald with the introduction to Battle Frontier.

The music was fine, but the revamps of GSC music in FRLG were the best.

I LOVE MIXING RECORDS. :D

Sevii Islands were so-so. The minigames were hard to access if you just didn't want to catch a bunch of Dodrio. But as an "Oh Cool, new places to explore!" type of game element, it's kinda good.

I think it lost a lot of the Asian influence in RSE, which I thought were all really fitting and interesting in GSC.

Also, console RPGs were introduced. Not my favorite games, as well as wannabe-Eric-Johnson battle music that also got annoying after two battles. I think the best part about Colosseum and XD was Miror B's amazing theme song.

But Gen IV took everything good Gen III gave them and slapped it hard in the face, like the rehashed battle music from RSE

Overall, the Third Generation of Pokemon Games did all a new Generation should be expected to do.

giro1221
May 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
i liked Gen 3, sorta... i mena it was a good game and it had some good additions, but it was dry after the main quest, because there ws no way to rebattle anyone, the optional areas were cool like the wrcked ship and sky pillar (i think i cought a lvl 48 claydol there). but Gen 1 i remember liking but the other media made it kiddy and creepy. (damn bad anime series ruined it and that dumb card game) aside form that though the first one was a big step in rpgs, and the second was a big step for the sreries as a whole. gen 4 was probably the biggest one for me, i have Peral and i play alot ive done the main story but i come back. why? because it revamped everything, it was a big refreshment when it came to ds, breeding is fun if you can beleve that. <_< maybe the new remakes of gold and silver will be worth the hype.

Finnel
May 22nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
R/S/E are my favorite games in the series. I'm completely in love with the soundtrack, the sprites are cute, the region is small but has a lot of things in it, and it has some of my favorite Pokémon in it.

I don't get why so many people hate it so much, sure it did remove a couple of features from GSC, but it added so many more! Running, weather, abilities, contests, natures, different environments, double battles... Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more!

How the Pokémon look... I do agree on there being a lot more ugly Pokémon in R/S/E than in previous games, but D/P/Pt is just packed with ugly designs and people still love that generation.

3rd gen > 1st gen > 2nd gen > 4th gen, in my opinion.

Nnoitra Jiruga
May 22nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
I think I only like Gen. 3's pokemon designs. Some of the designs are pretty sweet, (Zangoose, Absol, etc.)

Ryu-kun
May 22nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
I don't really like R/S/E, because (Deep breath) THERE IS TOO MUCH WATER... *pant* *pant*. But I do like Fr/Lg.

Formula1
June 10th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I'd say my favorites are fr/lg
However, I was a bit dissappointed how 3rd went on its own storyline.
I guess after GSC Team Rocket was finished, but maybe a prequel or something but I felt like Rocket were real criminals, while Magma and Aqua were scientists gone mad.

Either way, I loved seeing Red in the cave at mount moon. There something awesome about that... I was that guy.... And Now IM CRAZY!!! or am I?
level 87 pikachu was glorius....

I didn't like the Day night thing too much though just because It forced me to time out MY DAY around pokemon.... at 9:00, I need to catch this, or that... And I can't remember any particularly rare pokemon I had to go many nights looking for just because I got tired of it quickly

I really liked the way the made loomy soil though, it was a lot more convienient putting whatever berries I wanted all around. I would have prefered having a farm of some sort though. And I didn't like the regi's that much...
I actually never bothered catching them just because I didn't really think they were that great...

The Weather was great, the double battles were excellent (though I didn't feel like I had enough....), but I can't think of an extremely interesting pokemon that I wanted in RSE besides castform which had no evolution and thus felt kinda useless : /

I'm playing FR/LG now but for the most part, the eggs are the only thing keeping me around...

Yuoaman
June 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I like all generations equally, though GSC were the ones that I played the most so will always hold a special place in my heart...

derozio
June 19th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Except R/S all the other 3rd gen games were fun to play in my opinion. FRLG were good as they were remakes of red/green and they had a good storyline and long gameplay. Emerald was very good coz of Battle Frontier and Rematches.

kellogs
June 19th, 2009, 08:10 AM
It's a great generation,it was just unfortunate enough to be released after the second Gen. ,which is far superior i feel.Still very good though :D

MUSION
June 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM
3rd gen is my favourite of the four by far. It has my favourite Pokemon, characters and locations. The 3rd gen legendaries are also the best imo

Unlike most, gen 2 is my least favourite. Not really sure why, I guess because I don't like many of the Pokemon it introduced.

Squeegee Beckenheim
June 20th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Well, 3rd generation is the generation where I hit the peak of my interest in Pokemon honestly. It is the gen that I still feel the closest attraction to as well. It is by and by the best gen with some of the most awesome changes and new Pokemon.

pokefansam
June 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
All the time i hear about people complaining that the third generation games just suck.
And i have never found out why people think this, personaly i think that the third generation is alright.

What do you think?

MetalMario
June 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM
G/S/C were epic. R/S felt like a regression back to a style of game more like R/G/B/Y.

While they were good, they just didn't meet up to fans expecting another G/S/C-level revolution.

Bigdog
June 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM
What really made me enraged about the Third generation is that Gamefreak did not even attempt to make the games compatible with the first two generations. They would have needed to do the same process as they used for the transfer of Pokemon from the first to Second generation games. When the Pokemon are transferred to the third gen, they would acquire the abilities and the new IV/EV system much like how the Pokemon from Red would get a gender when they got transferred to the Second gen.

The Day/Night system could have been implemented with an Internal digital rather than battery operated clock, which would save the carts from death.

The Animations of the Pokemon which were introduced in Crystal should have been made standard for the games and maybe even given a few more frames.

The Poke Nav from Emerald should have been integrated into the R/S games , but with more features like a Radio and TV.

Besides that ,they were great games in their own right, but it felt like a really bad reboot of the franchise due to the colors of the versions( Red/Ruby , Green/Emerald, Blue/Sapphire) and due to Hoenn being a bad ripoff of Kanto.

In general, the games could've been alot better.

Poke'Master24
June 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM
honestly, i thought they were by far the worst generation. the pokemon just honestly sucked to me compared to johto and the graphics were terrible for what the GBA could do. We lost day and night, the cell phone, and more which originally made the game feel so much more realistic. I actually picked up Ruby the other day to see if I could pal park anything and it just has a cheap feel to it. Look at the sprites of trainers in the cities, they look so fake and cheap. I just thought they were the worst ones. I'm very excited about HG/SS, but if it is one remake we actually need as opposed to want, it's the Advance Generation. Maybe it will do Hoenn some justice.

Munch Dog
June 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM
They weren't horrible but the 3rd gen games are also my least favorite. It kind of felt like a step back from G/S/C imo.

rnstyip
June 22nd, 2009, 12:04 AM
THE EON pokemon were epic. YES.

derozio
June 22nd, 2009, 01:07 AM
I didnt think that they were bad. I think that they could have been a lot better. I liked G/S/C much more than them though>_>.

Ayselipera
June 22nd, 2009, 06:51 AM
I don't hate Hoenn at all. Now I know it wasn't that great but by far it wasn't the worst. I can easily say Sinnoh was the worst region and I was really dissapointed when playing it for the first time. Which is something I have never experianced with Hoenn.

I'd say Hoenn had good diversity between towns that I had never seen before. I loved Fortree, Paciflodge, and Sootopolis City. They were different and interesting. The pokemon was something I just had to get used to. And I'll admit Team Aqua and Magma were the stupidest evil organizations ever. After playing the Hoenn Region so many times though I've learned to like it. But it will never match up next to Kanto and Johto.

I'd say Hoenn was the second to worst region with Sinnoh being the worst. The pokemon in Hoenn aren't my favoirte, but I have accpeted them which the Sinnoh pokemon I have trouble doing that.

Potato_Hurrican
June 22nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
i actually really enjoyed R/S/E because it added new battle features/stat features like natures and abilities, and new pokemon and better graphics than the GBC or the GB, it wasnt as challenging as R/B/Y but i still liked it. aside from silver, emerald was my favorite of the pokemon series just cause of the battle frontier. the series ruiner for me was D/P/Pt. but all this aside i miss the day/night feature in R/S/E

JustinDestruction
June 22nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
I'm just the opposite of everyone I suppose. I liked Team Magma. I thought they were pretty sweet. The gym leaders were cool. Day/Night isn't really all that great if you ask me. In D/P/PT it is, but in Gold/Silver it was sort of this cheap 'cool' thing everyone raved about. I liked the addition of the Battle Frontier in Emerald especially. Also, adding EV training and natures made the games way more complicated than necessary, but at the same time it was a great addition, because it made the games so much more competitive.

As far as the Pokémon go, I loved the third generation. Blaziken, the now infamous Mudkip, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre, Latios, Latias, Absol, Metagross, Salamence, Gardevoir, Mighyena... there were quite a few favorite Pokémon in the games. This was a vast improvement in my mind from G/S/C. In those games there were not many I liked. I did like the legendary dogs, Tyranitar, Scizor, Espeon, Umbreon, Skarmory, and Houndoom, but I found most of the Pokémon from the second generation to be odd looking, and not very cool. It was sort of the same with D/P/PT. There were some new ones I liked, but most are just weird.

That being said, I will of course be buying HG/SS and will probably love them. It has been forever since I have played those games.